Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Zuiko-Digital posted:

In your living room?!

Four season porch, actually. I go outside to spray/soak parts, which is loving cold, but it's okay because there's a nice fiery stove in the background there to warm me up when I bring them back inside.

Tune in tomorrow when I'll post pictures of my burnt-down house!:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Next will be full LED conversion to get rid of the hot spots, and to illuminate the needles properly.

LEDs have much worse hot spots unless you get the kind with multiple LEDs in a single bulb (i.e. 9-10 actual LEDs in place of a 194 bulb). Even then, the way they illuminate will likely give worse hot spots; at best, you might be able to match the hot spots you have now.

This is my cluster with the type of LEDs I'm describing - the hotspots are barely noticeable in person, they look a lot worse in the photo. But the entire cluster is lit with four 194 bulbs. With it turned all the way down, it's as bright as it was all the was up with the original bulbs. This was about 2/3 up, all the way up is like staring at a flashlight. The needles barely lit up with the original bulbs.

To contribute, ordered a newer head unit. The one I have now has a 3.5mm input, but I wanted something with A2DP Bluetooth and well, built-in Bluetooth in general. I ordered this little Pioneer. Not only is it a bit cheaper than what I paid for my Alpine head unit, but a friend has offered me $75 for my current one (1 1/2 year old Alpine CDE-102). Should be here on Wed, though I won't have time to put it in until Thurs or Fri.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 28, 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had some good luck getting wide-angle LED bulbs (170-180 degrees). Cluster LED bulbs work, too, especially the 5+LED SMD-style bulbs. I agree that you have to be careful, though. Most LED bulbs you buy, especially on the cheap (or on the not-so-cheap, but from B&M stores) are narrow-angle, and have terrible hot spots.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't even know there was such a thing as wide-angle LEDs. I guess I need to look a little closer next time I'm at the supply store.

I'm tempted to redo all the bulbs in my Impreza's dash but Subaru uses white bulbs covered in little green plastic 'condoms' that I'm not really willing to pull off and swap. An LED in the proper colour from the start would be much better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey there VQ, what do you mean the PO decided to break off 4 bolts on the valve cover and just leave them there? :suicide:

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

some texas redneck posted:

LEDs have much worse hot spots unless you get the kind with multiple LEDs in a single bulb (i.e. 9-10 actual LEDs in place of a 194 bulb). Even then, the way they illuminate will likely give worse hot spots; at best, you might be able to match the hot spots you have now.

This is my cluster with the type of LEDs I'm describing - the hotspots are barely noticeable in person, they look a lot worse in the photo. But the entire cluster is lit with four 194 bulbs. With it turned all the way down, it's as bright as it was all the was up with the original bulbs. This was about 2/3 up, all the way up is like staring at a flashlight. The needles barely lit up with the original bulbs.

I'm actually using LEDs that have 5 LEDS in place of my 194 slots. The hotspots at my left and right are from single LED bulbs for a #74 slot. By "full LED conversion" I meant tear down, and surrounding the whole cluster with an LED strip, as such: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/169562-diy-g3-gauge-cluster-led-strip-lighting.html, and then using pre-wired LEDs to point directly at each needle.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Cleaned out a beater Cavalier I got for a couple hundred bucks and found a receipt for a Quaife LSD and install in the glovebox :stare:

Edit: yep, both wheels spin :psyduck:

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Noise Complaint posted:

Cleaned out a beater Cavalier I got for a couple hundred bucks and found a receipt for a Quaife LSD and install in the glovebox :stare:

I kept reading this as you found LSD in the glovebox. Need more coffee.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

I remember when I had my lovely j-body, those were pretty expensive. How much is the receipt for? How long ago did they put the diff in?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I remember when I had my lovely j-body, those were pretty expensive. How much is the receipt for? How long ago did they put the diff in?

$1895 for part, install, and "misc." no idea how much just the part was.

No date though, the paper was gross and yellowed so probably awhile ago.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Noise Complaint posted:

$1895 for part, install, and "misc." no idea how much just the part was.

A Quaife fwd lsd is what, $900 or so?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

A Quaife fwd lsd is what, $900 or so?

900 is on the low side but yeah, 900-1100 is fairly common

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got some new tires mounted for the TT. It's gonna take a bit of a break from track duty, so I went with some reportedly good-bang-for-the-buck Hankook V12s. I'm about to put the summer tires back on the RS 4 and bleed its brakes. Road Atlanta beckons.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Noise Complaint posted:

Edit: yep, both wheels spin :psyduck:

Wow that's really....random. No other mods to the car?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Wow that's really....random. No other mods to the car?

It has a really lovely carbon fiber hood with the clearcoat coming off, thing must be nearly as old as the car.

I haven't really even examined it. I bought it as a beater that gets decent gas mileage. I'll have to take a good look tomorrow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

New stereo showed up a day earlier than I expected.

Out with the Alpine - only 2 years old, but damnit I wanted Bluetooth (phone and A2DP streaming):

In with the Pioneer:

Sounds just as good as the Alpine, though it doesn't have a true variable sub output like the Alpine did (low, high, off) and I need to pay more attention to the manual. Now to figure out if there's a way to get it to scroll a song title instead of the name of my phone when I'm streaming music. And I can't figure out how the gently caress to set the clock, the manual is horrible.

timb posted:

I kept reading this as you found LSD in the glovebox. Need more coffee.

That would be a really nice surprise, that stuff has gotten entirely too expensive. :lsd:

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I'm actually using LEDs that have 5 LEDS in place of my 194 slots. The hotspots at my left and right are from single LED bulbs for a #74 slot. By "full LED conversion" I meant tear down, and surrounding the whole cluster with an LED strip, as such: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/169562-diy-g3-gauge-cluster-led-strip-lighting.html, and then using pre-wired LEDs to point directly at each needle.

That's entirely more work than I'm willing to put into a cluster, though I'm using the 5 SMD LED in 1 place of 1 194... things... too.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as wide-angle LEDs. I guess I need to look a little closer next time I'm at the supply store.

I'm tempted to redo all the bulbs in my Impreza's dash but Subaru uses white bulbs covered in little green plastic 'condoms' that I'm not really willing to pull off and swap. An LED in the proper colour from the start would be much better.

You won't find them in random stores. http://www.superbrightleds.com/ is a good source. eBay is a bit cheaper, but quality and even bulb color are hit and miss. I got my 194 LEDs from eBay, but when I finally get around to getting LEDs for my climate control I'll be going back to superbrightleds.com.

Honda and Nissan also use those annoying bulb condoms. And for whatever reason, the alternator's excitation current runs through the alternator light on the dash on my car; no charging if I swap an LED into that particular bulb. (shut up I was bored)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 29, 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you have a colored bulb condom thing in the dash lights, be sure to get the same color LED as the shroud. Green shroud, green LED. Even a super bright white LED won't show much through the green, even in comparison to a much dimmer green one.

This is why you also match LED color to brake lens color if it's a red/orange/yellow lens.

Also, for bulbs that change polarity/various other things (like your alternator light), they make actual "AC" LED bulbs that work with either polarity - check the model number on superbrightleds, it'll say either DC or AC. I had issues with a turn signal indicator on my motorcycle only working when turning one direction but not the other. Figures out it switched current direction based on which way I was turning. Swapped it out for an "AC" LED and all is well.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 29, 2012

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I replaced the crappy turbo kit intake cone on the Yaris and finally replaced my awesome (dying) oem battery for a Duralast Goldtop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had an annoying vibration at highway speeds since I've owned the car. Since I got new tires it's been accompanied by a "whumpwhumpWHUMPWHUMPWHUMP" when accelerating and some weird noises on the highway. Even posted in AI a couple of times about the vibration.

Had my mechanic throw it on the lift with the engine running. Threw it in 1st. Front left wheel is more than a bit bent, after seeing the way it wobbles idling in 1st gear I'm amazed it drives as well as it does. Back left isn't perfect, but it's better than the front left. Both wheels on the right side are fine. He gave the suspension a quick once over and couldn't find anything wrong aside from sagging rear springs - bushings all look good, shocks aren't exactly new but aren't leaking or blown, ball joints and tie rods look good. He's given the entire car a look at one point before and all he could find was a broken transmission mount and worn brake pads, and claims the car is in "a lot better shape a lot of the newer cars (he) works on".

At least I have steelies instead of rims or alloys. The closest Discount Tire has 3 wheels in stock, I'll be relieving them of 2 of them tomorrow.

Also, I've never hit a curb or anything more than the smallest of potholes in this car. :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 6, 2012

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

Goddamn, my throttle body is rusty.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'll gently caress around with Quadrajets all day, but I wouldn't go anywhere near that thing. My hat's off to you.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Last night I took off the STi wing and put on an Impreza RS third brake light and wingless obsidian black pearl trunk from an '06.

Wow this car is dirty!

New trunk. I didn't debadge this trunk, the previous owner did. I might put the badges back on, but it is a low priority for me right now.

The side view!

Overall this wasn't too bad, so long as you and I forget about how I accidentally broke my rear windshield when I slipped during the installation.

Luckily, you've forgotten about that already, right? Yeah. Me too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That looks really good. If I had a GD STI I'd probably end up doing the same thing, or go with a Limited duckbill trunk.

What's the white car in the background? Mercedes?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Its a Mercedes from the late 70s I think. 300D? I have a picture of it somewhere but I'm not sure where.

My space is in a garage full of older cars that the garage proprietor collects. There's a 60s Rolls Royce in there as well as a similar vintage Volvo coupe, Volkswagen Thing, Volkswagen Bus, 60s/70s Cooper and a couple of others.

I'm not lucky enough to park in the main garage where he keeps the ice cream truck, fire truck, yellow cab and other more frequently used theatrical vehicles.

edit: also I chuckled a little because I thought for a second you meant the Do Luck duckbill trunk and not the STi limited one.

http://i.imgur.com/jnFqZ.jpg

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 7, 2012

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Picked it up from the shop last night:

• Front end respray (bumper, hood, fenders)
• Rear bumper respray
• Painted side markers
• Clear corners with Phil's lenses, chrome bulbs & LED city lights
• RS4 grill
• Cupra R lip
• New S-Line valance, dark gray satin finish
• A8 rings on the hatch
• Front & rear clear bra to be installed next week.

I'll take better photos once my summer wheels go back on and the coilovers come down.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Switched back to my summer tires/wheels, because fuckit, this is not winter anymore in the NE, and hasn't been for weeks. No sense in chewing up my snow tires and having shite handling.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

DropShadow posted:

• Rear bumper respray
• Painted side markers
• Clear corners with Phil's lenses, chrome bulbs & LED city lights
• RS4 grill
• Cupra R lip
• New S-Line valance, dark gray satin finish
• A8 rings on the hatch
• Front & rear clear bra to be installed next week.

I'll take better photos once my summer wheels go back on and the coilovers come down.

You still have my favorite car on these forums. My God. I'd kill for one of those as a DD.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DropShadow posted:

• Rear bumper respray

:wtf: how old is it? Were you just playing bumper cars with it?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

You still have my favorite car on these forums. My God. I'd kill for one of those as a DD.

:) Thank you.

meatpimp posted:

:wtf: how old is it? Were you just playing bumper cars with it?

It'll be seven years old in July, just turned over 80k miles. The rear bumper had been poorly resprayed before I bought it. There is evidence of a fender bender but nothing on carfax. Last summer, while loading a treadmill into it, a friend of mine put a deep scratch in the rear bumper too, so I jumped at the chance to have it repainted.

As for the front, my mom backed into it about a month ago when I was home. The damage was very light, but Audi parts are expensive. I found a used RS4 grill and was able to repair the headlight with Audi's tab repair kit, thus giving me about $1000 worth of insurance money to play with. That allowed me to repaint the whole front end instead of just the front bumper and edge of the hood. Being almost seven years old, it had a lot of rock chips. The clear bra should help protect it a little better.

Here's the damage:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the factory radio in my wife's Accord with a JVC KDR-520.

I also managed to break the drat hazard switch.

Dammit.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Eibach springs, 20mm spacers and now its a little bit lower and a little bit wider. Also had an alignment done.

REMOVED

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

No pictures, but I swapped my van's front and middle seats ('86 Vandura if anybody cares). Why? When it got it, the upholstery on the driver's seat was... pretty bad. It's only gotten worse from there and I finally decided to get out the wrenches and swap seats. It feels so much better now.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
New swaybar end links and a cabin air filter on the e34. Now my climate control blows a ton harder, and my suspension doesn't clunk over uneven bumps. :downs:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Screw you, Al Gore!

Would you look at that, there's a rotary engine under there after all.

But now I have to deal with this bullshit and the rust-welded nuts and studs that accompany it:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Put the radiator back in the Nissan, and the uppper/lower oil pan, both front and side engine mounts, and the power steering pump. It's getting there!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I pulled this fender off:

and put this fender on:

and also fixed this leaking oil pressure switch and replaced a brake booster hose:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 11, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It was pretty nice out today (60 F) and I was feeling motivated despite getting up at 1 in the afternoon. Let's do some front brakes!

Got the pads out, went to take the rot...

Oh

Ok well maybe the other side... Nope :suicide:

Old pads were pretty rusted out too. Gotta love New England :allears:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Spent all day tuning the carb on my 67 Chevy. Fixed a few problems I had since I hooked up a PCV (engine is way older than 67) and re-jetted it. Hums like a sewing machine now, gonna put insurance on it today and just drive it.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Replaced the stock exhaust with a Buschur Racing 3" turboback:

Sticks out a little bit, but keeps the bumper clean I guess

And since I'm nearly at my 60k service, decided to replace the air filter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I had big plans today. I was going to change the oil in the TT and my girlfriend's Mini, and put the summer wheels on the TT. Thanks to this, however, the only thing I accomplished was changing the TT's oil and tearing the hell out of my arms and knuckles.