Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ThoiBoi posted:

My parents have had a outstanding issue with gophers at their house.

I can't testify about it personally, but the Rodenator has always looked loving awesome and I really think a goon with gopher trouble would be a trusted review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ThoiBoi posted:

My parents have had a outstanding issue with gophers at their house. It's been ongoing for years and we have yet to find a solution. They then end up with holes all around their yards and I'm so sick of seeing mounds of dirt every time I go home. Does anyone have any actual effective way of getting rid of them for good? I've tried the ultrasonic pest control stakes:
http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-sonic-mole-gopher-repeller but to no avail.

Any help would be great!

If gophers are like moles, I've had great success with scissor-style traps I got at Tractor Supply for like $20. I followed the instructions and caught the rodent that had been tearing up my lawn in less than 24 hours.

I don't like the spike traps because so many moving parts are above ground where pets or children can get them, and I never had luck with poison pellets or those poison gas sticks you light in a burrow.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Halon would probably work great but I'm not sure what the dissipation rate is outdoors.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PainterofCrap posted:

Cheap traveling toothbrush holder from the dollar store.

If you're using the really long blades: a Tupperware spaghetti storage container, though it won't fit in your case. Hell, better yet, save the box after you have spaghetti one night & wrap it in duct tape.
Yeah, these are the fairly long blades. I've just got the whole mess banging around the bottom of a large tool bag, so the spaghetti storage isn't a bad idea. I've modified your duct-taped-box idea and used a thick cardboard tube for mailing posters. Should buy me a few months while I find The Final Solution. Thanks!

CuddleChunks posted:

Get a big square of cloth (about a yard) and fold it over on itself to make a rectangle. Grab some of those magnetic strips and put them in between the two pieces of cloth separated by a quarter inch or so. Sew a line up and around the magnet strip so it has a little pocket. Now, take your sawzall blades and slap them on those wussy magnets and then roll the whole drat thing up. it will be kind of lumpy because of the magnet strips and the saw blades but it will keep them all together and not cutting your hands to shreds.

A nicer version will finish the edges or make specific pockets for the blades. It's like a chef's knife roll.
This is a pretty loving baller idea. I'm gonna go shop for some canvas and Kiev this a whirl. Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cosmik Debris posted:

Bamboo is pretty much the most invasive plant you can have, with the possible exception of kudzu. Mow them back and then immediately spray round up. This will hinder their growth, not stop it. You will have to keep an eye on it constantly, it doesn't just stop growing. The only way to get rid of bamboo is digging up the roots; since you can't do that you are just going to have to deal with it.

Bamboo's basically the worst thing ever.

Clumping bamboo is slightly better than spreading bamboo at controlling growth.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ThoiBoi posted:

My parents have had a outstanding issue with gophers at their house. It's been ongoing for years and we have yet to find a solution. They then end up with holes all around their yards and I'm so sick of seeing mounds of dirt every time I go home. Does anyone have any actual effective way of getting rid of them for good? I've tried the ultrasonic pest control stakes:
http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-sonic-mole-gopher-repeller but to no avail.

Any help would be great!
Run a hose from the exhaust pipe of a car to a hole for a few hours. If you have an old car with a carburetor instead of fuel injection, choke it so it runs rich and produces more carbon monoxide. I don't know if it matters to you or your parents at all, but CO poisoning is a painless death so it's humane in addition to being effective. Once they're gone, stick a few big smoke bombs down the hole to help you find all of them and fill them in with dirt, sticking a few big rocks down there if they're deep.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 28, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a windowless office and it's depressing. I want to make a fake window!

The general idea is to make/procure a window frame, place a few T5 fluorescent strips in the recess, hang it on the wall and install some horizontal mini-blinds over it. If it works, it should look like a window to a sunny day with the blinds drawn shut.

Any advice what direction to take with the window frame? I could probably just make a box out of 2x4"s, but if there's a good alternative I'm overlooking, I'm all ears.

go to your favorite thrift/used shop and buy some deeper wood picture frames. You can mount them on a shallow box if they are not deep enough for the strips.

I had a friend do this when the remodeling blocked the window over her sink, she put in LED strips in the window frame.

If you do this please post what you did, I may want to do this in my hallway or in my cube at work.

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?

nwin posted:

The ceiling fan in the living room is starting to act weird. It's been working fine, but I turned on the lights today (it has four lights that you can turn on at the base of it), and the lights seemed about 1/2 as bright as normal. I then turned on the fan, and it does have all three speed settings, but they are slower than normal. Any idea? It is a remote control operated fan. There is no pull cords or any other way to turn it on/off/adjust speed other than the remote.

For reference, the fan is NOT hard wired into the house. There is a cord from the fan which runs along the ceiling, down the wall, and plugs into an outlet.

Have you tried plugging the fan in to another outlet? It's probably not the cause, but it's worth a shot. Given the rather simplistic design of ceiling fans, there's not a lot internally that could cause this. Since both your lights and the fan only seem to be getting half power or so, I would bet the problem is the remote control module located in the fan housing. If you take the fan down (after unplugging it), trace the path of the wires from the power cord to their next step after they enter the housing. You should have two or three wires, depending on if it has a safety ground. Two of these wires will probably enter in to a box that has some sort of antenna on it. This is your remote control module for the fan. Consult the manufactures website for replacement. It could also be the rectifier, but if you're at this point, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new fan.

Bank posted:

http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-...gopher-repeller but to no avail.

My parents tried everything to get rid of gophers, short of the Gopher Vacuum. The gophers tore through all the traps they set, and the ultrasonic things did nothing. Unfortunately, the only solution I found was the TFR route, though your country, state, local laws, and/or neighbors may put a damper on that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Bamboo from my neighbors yard has started creeping into my backyard. Any tips on dealing with this? There's no way to get him to pull the bamboo up on his side as he doesn't do any maintenance back there. I've got a few shoots poking up that I've just cut back whenever they get a foot or two high but more are starting to sprout...

Have you looked into acquiring a panda bear?

Stout Bootboy
Sep 20, 2006
It doesn't seem like there's an interior design thread anywhere around here, so I'm just going to post my question here:

Is there anything available that can make my television less unsightly? I try to keep my apartment mid-century modern and my hdtv is a total eyesore.

I've been looking around online and pretty much all I can find are picture frames for televisions and really that's not the look I'm going for. What I've wanted is more like a facade for the front of the television that would make it match a credenza-type record player from the era, complete with wicker-stlye speaker covers. Or, remember your grandma's television that looked like furniture? Something like that.

I live in an apartment with no room to get tinkering with wood (i.e. chopping my fingers off and wasting money), so what I'm wondering is if there's already an existing product?

Looking at this television didn't bother me so much before I really got a unified design scheme going, but now that the apartment is coming together it's really starting to bug me. I suppose if it really came down to it, I could just put some faux-wood wallpaper on the edges or something, but that's really tacky.

I don't want to mount my television on my wall as I like it to be able to pivot, so a pivoting television with a picture frame around it would just look awful to me.

Has anybody else done anything to their televisions to dress them up at all? I'm open to ideas.

OR

Any woodworking Goons in the LA area want a project and some money? I'm willing to pay a reasonable price.

Black Jasper
May 8, 2009
In my dining room I have a chandelier containing 12 small 2-prong halogen light bulbs. The chandelier has its own light switch with dimmer. Recently, when I flip on the switch all of the lights stay dim for 3-5 minutes then brighten fully as usual. This just started a month ago. Prior to this, the lights would turn on instantly at whatever brightness the dimmer was set to. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Nvm fixed it.

Bank fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 8, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stout Bootboy posted:

credenza-type record player from the era, complete with wicker-stlye speaker covers. Or, remember your grandma's television that looked like furniture

I don't have any advice other than you'll probably have to have something custom built and if you do, I hope you come back and post a pic because it sounds interesting.

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?

Stout Bootboy posted:

Is there anything available that can make my television less unsightly? I try to keep my apartment mid-century modern and my hdtv is a total eyesore.

This may not be the direction you want to go, but have you thought about mounting the TV on to a motorized lift inside of a piece of furniture?

Something like:
http://www.ergoindemand.com/motorized-mounts.html

You could buy whatever furniture matches your style, and have a carpenter or friend mount the TV lift inside of it.

Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSfcb-hPN8

This route is expensive though, and if you like the TV always on, it probably won't do much for you. But it will certainly hide it when not in use. As wormil said, whatever you do, please post pictures of it.

Edit, wrong URL.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Stout Bootboy posted:

Has anybody else done anything to their televisions to dress them up at all? I'm open to ideas.

If something like this exists the market for it would be tiny, so it's very unlikely it would be available for your particular make/model/size of tv so yes you're looking at making or having it made. There is a company that will take your electronics, disassemble them & professionally paint them to your spec but it's expensive & voids warranties.

Could you find a picture of what you want it to look like style-wise & a pic of your tv please?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I dunno, flush-mount it to the wall with a fancy wooden frame around it and a slow slideshow of famous artwork sounds pretty good :)

Another fairly elegant solution is to get an entertainment center with doors covering the TV when you're not watching; done right, it looks straight out of a 19th century library. My in-laws had something like this, though I hated it because the TV hole was too small and they refused to get the giant-rear end TV they should have had.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 4, 2012

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stout Bootboy posted:

I wanted to do the same thing for a long time. I did find this:

(click click)

But I have a feeling it costs $10k+.

To me, the bezel makes the TV screen seem smaller, and the TV as a whole seem bigger and bulkier. I ended up just buying a broken mid-century hi-fi ($25 on craigslist) as a TV stand. Gutted it and put front and center channel speakers, receiver, and HTPC inside it:

It's not perfect (I hosed up the speaker grilles - the outer two panels have the back side facing out), but it at least adds a bit of mid-century look without costing a god damned fortune.

Stout Bootboy
Sep 20, 2006

dur posted:

excellent relevant information

You will be happy to learn that the amazing mid-century Danish TV housing you found is not 10k and is in fact downright reasonable in comparison at $3500, more than your TV is worth:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/wilkerson-furniture-at-dwell-o-53216

Thanks for the info, guys. Somebody should start an interior design thread where we break down the methods behind our decorating madness. I'll update this post or start another thread once my roommate moves out.

I like the idea of using the old stereo credenza as a tv stand, I just want something else to actually put onto the television so it doesn't look so much like a floating, massive piece of plastic from the dysotopian future.

If I could find one of these in non-working condition so I wouldn't feel horrible gutting it, I would:
http://p1.la-img.com/196/18106/6131779_2_l.jpg

it'd be perfect for housing your receiver and game console

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Stout Bootboy posted:

You will be happy to learn that the amazing mid-century Danish TV housing you found is not 10k and is in fact downright reasonable in comparison at $3500, more than your TV is worth:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/wilkerson-furniture-at-dwell-o-53216

If I could find one of these in non-working condition so I wouldn't feel horrible gutting it, I would:
http://p1.la-img.com/196/18106/6131779_2_l.jpg

it'd be perfect for housing your receiver and game console
Ahhh, so that TV thing is just the stand and frame - you supply the TV. Makes sense.

I had the same "problem" with my TV stand - all the really really good looking hi-fi units I could find were still in working condition, so I didn't want to destroy them.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can anyone recommend a common primer? I will be painting the ceilings of a few rooms in our home that are bare drywall at the moment (popcorn was removed) as well as redoing the paint on the walls. We are going to use flat latex paints.

I don't really know much about this stuff and my eyes gloss over when looking at the wall of options. The stuff I bought before was zinsser and quite expensive, if I recall.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can anyone recommend a common primer? I will be painting the ceilings of a few rooms in our home that are bare drywall at the moment (popcorn was removed) as well as redoing the paint on the walls. We are going to use flat latex paints.

I don't really know much about this stuff and my eyes gloss over when looking at the wall of options. The stuff I bought before was zinsser and quite expensive, if I recall.

I've always used KILZ. Never had a problem.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

grover posted:

Another fairly elegant solution is to get an entertainment center with doors covering the TV when you're not watching; done right, it looks straight out of a 19th century library. My in-laws had something like this, though I hated it because the TV hole was too small and they refused to get the giant-rear end TV they should have had.

Seconding this, this is the classiest solution under a billion dollars. You don't need to have the problem Grover's in-laws did, just shop for the correct internal space.

My suggestion is a simple cloth drape that conceals the TV. This also keeps dust accumulation off the screen (as will the armoire/cabinet solution, which I really personally prefer).

Black Jasper posted:

In my dining room I have a chandelier containing 12 small 2-prong halogen light bulbs. The chandelier has its own light switch with dimmer. Recently, when I flip on the switch all of the lights stay dim for 3-5 minutes then brighten fully as usual. This just started a month ago. Prior to this, the lights would turn on instantly at whatever brightness the dimmer was set to. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Has the temperature of this room changed significantly since a month ago? Halogens and fluorescents seem to light up a lot slower under about 70 degrees.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just received this under counter RO filter system:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E77I04/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The problem isn't with installation of the unit in general, but rather mounting the faucet. The apartment I am renting has 3 sinks (including the bathrooms) but all of them have granite counter tops with ports for only one faucet that is already in use. I bought this thing for filtering water that would go through misting systems for animals and plants, not so much for drinking, so I am fine with having something like just under the counter access. the problem is, I am not certain the best way to go about this. Is there a different faucet or something like a picnic tap I could get? Could I even just be super ghetto and zip-tie the faucet under the sink? Any ideas that don't involve me drilling holes through my landlord's counter tops are appreciated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just install a little "shelf" under the counter & mount the tap through that for under-counter tap goodness.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I disassembled the whole pump/motor/burner assembly of my oil furnace, cleaned it all, and replaced the igniter electrodes because they were abated far past the point that they could be bent back to within tolerances. The furnace ran for a couple of hurs then stopped again. I'm out of ideas.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GWBBQ posted:

I disassembled the whole pump/motor/burner assembly of my oil furnace, cleaned it all, and replaced the igniter electrodes because they were abated far past the point that they could be bent back to within tolerances. The furnace ran for a couple of hurs then stopped again. I'm out of ideas.

Sorry, I can't find your original problem. Did you fix the flame sensor and/or thermocouple? All that other stuff helps, but those two insignificant bits are what lets the whole apparatus know it's working.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Installing some fans in the house and I'm looking for the ground wire...this house was built in 1961, so I think that's before the code requiring them.

However, when you look at the picture, there's a black wire, white wire, and just outside the white wire is some exposed copper. Is this the ground?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, but the fact that it is cut off so short is odd. Make sure it is actually connected in the breaker box. Or you could check it with a meter if you have one.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nwin posted:

Installing some fans in the house and I'm looking for the ground wire...this house was built in 1961, so I think that's before the code requiring them.

However, when you look at the picture, there's a black wire, white wire, and just outside the white wire is some exposed copper. Is this the ground?

That box isn't original, and definitely wasn't wired by a professional. An original box in a plaster ceiling would have had the plaster... plastered right up to the edge around it. Someone cut your plaster ceiling to fit that box in. Nylon locknuts and green-colored grounding screws didn't exist in 1961. Clipped off ground aside, the installer used the 1/2" knockout without a cable clamp to run wire into that box, instead entering that box thru the smaller NM entrances on the right and completely unscrewing the cable clamp there...

Jackyl's right about testing it. Do you even have 3 prong outlets everywhere else, or at least on that circuit? Turn the circuit back on, then use a $2 circuit tester to test for a circuit between the black wire and the bare wire. If it lights up, then that circuit is grounded. If so, turn it back off and ever so carefully twist an extension onto that grounding wire. You might want to clip that outer insulation on the NM cable back a bit so that you have more to work with. Grounds are either bare or have green insulation. Loop it under that green screw in the box and screw it down.

Also, you will want to buy some of these to insert into that knockout. The plastic clamps can go in from either direction, but you will have to pry a screwdriver into the one-way spring clamp to insert the cable the "other" way.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 10, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah this house is definitely a piece of poo poo...I've been made aware of that multiple times...thank god I'm renting.

One of the rooms has a few
Outlets with no ground on them (2 prong outlets) but all the others have 3 prongs.

All three rooms I've checked have the same setup like that...it doesn't make sense. They have ceiling lights and the metal box on all of them say they're ok for fans, but the ground is clipped on all of them. Where the old light fixtures have a green wire, it's just left hanging, unattached. I'll check the wire when I get home and see if it even has any power going to it. At least I've gone through trial and error to see what breakers turn on what, since of course none of them are labeled.

Every time I need something fixed, the landlord always has a friend or some 'local handyman' that can't speak English come and fix things. One exception was when the disposal backed everything up and they actually got a licensed plumber. Shits scheisty, man.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nwin posted:

Yeah this house is definitely a piece of poo poo...I've been made aware of that multiple times...thank god I'm renting.

One of the rooms has a few
Outlets with no ground on them (2 prong outlets) but all the others have 3 prongs.

All three rooms I've checked have the same setup like that...it doesn't make sense. They have ceiling lights and the metal box on all of them say they're ok for fans, but the ground is clipped on all of them. Where the old light fixtures have a green wire, it's just left hanging, unattached. I'll check the wire when I get home and see if it even has any power going to it. At least I've gone through trial and error to see what breakers turn on what, since of course none of them are labeled.

Every time I need something fixed, the landlord always has a friend or some 'local handyman' that can't speak English come and fix things. One exception was when the disposal backed everything up and they actually got a licensed plumber. Shits scheisty, man.

Remember how I said that the box is a more recent retrofit? That could mean that the cable is also newer, and that cable doesn't look 51 years old. You can't buy NM cable without ground anymore, at least not without a special order. If installers are adding to an existing nongrounded circuit, then you're supposed to clip off the ground. You don't want to give people a false sense of security.

You might want to test your 3 prong outlets too to make sure that they are actually grounded. For that, use that circuit tester again to test for a circuit between the smaller blade slot and the grounding slot.

para
Nov 30, 2006
I want to replace my kitchen faucet since the current one is older and looks ugly.

The bottom appears to have a U shaped bracket holding the top faucet onto the sink. It looks like if I remove the nut in the middle the whole thing will probably lift straight off the top, and the U bracket would drop down to the floor.

Problem is I can't get to the nut to loosen it. I bought a basin wrench but the two copper pipes for the water are too close to the nut and even if I can get the wrench partially latched on it won't turn.

Any ideas?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Anyway you can get this part unscrewed?

Then you could probably get the upper nut with a deep well socket and a few extensions.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kid sinister posted:

Remember how I said that the box is a more recent retrofit? That could mean that the cable is also newer, and that cable doesn't look 51 years old. You can't buy NM cable without ground anymore, at least not without a special order. If installers are adding to an existing nongrounded circuit, then you're supposed to clip off the ground. You don't want to give people a false sense of security.

You might want to test your 3 prong outlets too to make sure that they are actually grounded. For that, use that circuit tester again to test for a circuit between the smaller blade slot and the grounding slot.
wires and outlets have been tested...no power found in the third outlets...is this house going to burn to the ground soon?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

wires and outlets have been tested...no power found in the third outlets...is this house going to burn to the ground soon?

Not necessarily, but go get some renter's insurance anyway. It's ridiculously cheap, and your landlord's policy will not cover you or your stuff if anything happens.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

stubblyhead posted:

Not necessarily, but go get some renter's insurance anyway. It's ridiculously cheap, and your landlord's policy will not cover you or your stuff if anything happens.
already have it, but thanks for the info.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

para posted:

Problem is I can't get to the nut to loosen it. I bought a basin wrench but the two copper pipes for the water are too close to the nut and even if I can get the wrench partially latched on it won't turn.

Any ideas?
I've had the same problems with basin wrenches. Try a crow's foot with a bunch of extensions.

And, yes, if you remove that nut, the water lines, and the hose, it will pull straight up and out and you drop the new one in the same way.

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.
I'd like to be able to make calls and just talk in my living room, so I'm looking for an omnidirectional microphone that can pick up speech from all parts of a room in an apartment and somehow get that audio signal to a computer. I have absolutely no idea what kind of microphone I should be looking for, let alone brand or model, since my familiarity with computer microphones extends only to the desktop variety.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Theseus posted:

I'd like to be able to make calls and just talk in my living room, so I'm looking for an omnidirectional microphone that can pick up speech from all parts of a room in an apartment and somehow get that audio signal to a computer. I have absolutely no idea what kind of microphone I should be looking for, let alone brand or model, since my familiarity with computer microphones extends only to the desktop variety.

Bluetooth earbud would work great for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Theseus posted:

Ask the guys at an office supply store for a teleconference mic. Be prepared to pay some money.