Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Not to mention the totally rad wanted system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd really prefer to have both the Chinatown Wars and IV wanted systems at the same time. Being able to choose whether to just run away or try to bash out the police cars would be helpful.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

See, I loved the aspects of buying up parts of Vice City, and taking over turf in San Andreas (though that was clumsier and more annoying overall), but the lack of any side business is a big missing gap in GTA IV. It's like they thought the STORY would be compelling enough and didn't want to distract from it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

See, I loved the aspects of buying up parts of Vice City, and taking over turf in San Andreas (though that was clumsier and more annoying overall), but the lack of any side business is a big missing gap in GTA IV. It's like they thought the STORY would be compelling enough and didn't want to distract from it.
I think it had more to do with their philosophy for GTA IV being stripping things down to the basics and reinventing what was left.

It would have been nice for Lost and the Damned to have some drug dealing game since that's apparently how they were making their money.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

teethgrinder posted:

See, I loved the aspects of buying up parts of Vice City, and taking over turf in San Andreas (though that was clumsier and more annoying overall)

Honestly the turf thing was great except for two things: (a) having you get turf early on only to lose it all later as a plot point, and (b) trying to get enemies to spawn in some of the little slivers to start a turf war.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Does anyone else miss the whole "can't go into this neighbourhood without being shot at" thing? One of the joys of GTA3 was getting the Cartel to chase you to Chinatown, then getting the Tridents and the Cartel to chase you to the Mafia's turf, and then watch a 3-way gang war emerge while you spawn a tank and gently caress everyone's poo poo up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

Does anyone else miss the whole "can't go into this neighbourhood without being shot at" thing? One of the joys of GTA3 was getting the Cartel to chase you to Chinatown, then getting the Tridents and the Cartel to chase you to the Mafia's turf, and then watch a 3-way gang war emerge while you spawn a tank and gently caress everyone's poo poo up.

I do not miss being killed by some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun every time I drive through fake Jersey, no.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

TheJoker138 posted:

I do not miss being killed by some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun every time I drive through fake Jersey, no.

See, I had no problem being chased if I was walking around in the city, because I figure that enemy gang members would recognize me. What would have been great, was some sort of disguise system or whatever, because it didn't make sense that everyone could magically see that the driver of that sedan with toned windows was YOU.
Perhaps some hidden gauge that had to fill before an enemy reaction or something.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

St Evan Echoes posted:

gently caress no. Your car instantly detonating from a shotgun blast you didn't even see coming was the stupidest poo poo ever. It's up there with shooting pigeons giving you a wanted level from IV in terms of "most annoying poo poo ever in a GTA game".

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yes, I desperately miss gangs.

People keep mentioning shotgun blasts but the only gang that did that was the mafia in 3.

GTA doesn't feel like GTA without gangs.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'm going to echo everyone else here and say no. It pretty much prevents you from going back to that part of the world later on which sucks. I saved the bulletproof vehicle you get from that one guy just for the mission where you have to go there.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Heliotrope posted:

I'm going to echo everyone else here and say no. It pretty much prevents you from going back to that part of the world later on which sucks. I saved the bulletproof vehicle you get from that one guy just for the mission where you have to go there.

This is not true. The only gang that does this is the mafia in 3, which is admittedly bullshit, but saying you don't want gangs shooting at you at all just because of one gang out of many (Triads, Cartel, Diablos, Columbians, Haitians, Ballas, Los Vagos;etc) seems pretty asinine.

If anything, I want the next GTA to explore gangs further. I want a return to GTA2 and 3 era of gang warfare but it probably won't happen.

I want gang politicking and assassinations, dammit.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

webmeister posted:

gently caress no. Your car instantly detonating from a shotgun blast you didn't even see coming was the stupidest poo poo ever. It's up there with shooting pigeons giving you a wanted level from IV in terms of "most annoying poo poo ever in a GTA game".
I'd say shooting pigeons period is one of the stupidest things in a GTA game. At least collecting poo poo in the 3-era games gave you significant incentives beyond a stupid achievement.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GTA3 had a few bullshit ways to die without doing anything wrong. The mafia and their shotguns were awful, but so was driving a car and flipping it over on a slope, causing it to catch fire and blow up before you can stop sliding and get out.

Another thing was having drivable boats in GTA3 and VC when touching the water instantly killed you.

edit: and as far as the dumbest thing in a GTA game, Pigeons aren't as stupid as the character stats and dancing minigames of San Andreas.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, the rigidity of those games, Vice City especially is why I can't go back (Vice City in particular because there's so much more to do, it's more apparent)

San Andreas has aged very very well comparatively just because of how much more "open world" it truly is, in the sense that water and fences aren't obstacles.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Himuro posted:

This is not true. The only gang that does this is the mafia in 3, which is admittedly bullshit, but saying you don't want gangs shooting at you at all just because of one gang out of many (Triads, Cartel, Diablos, Columbians, Haitians, Ballas, Los Vagos;etc) seems pretty asinine.

If anything, I want the next GTA to explore gangs further. I want a return to GTA2 and 3 era of gang warfare but it probably won't happen.

I want gang politicking and assassinations, dammit.

The problem is when you try to do 100% completion stuff like hidden packages, after you do the relevant plot point which makes gangs hate you. If they aren't the mafia who can pretty much kill you instantly, then are just a nuisance and constantly get in your way. It doesn't help that every gang but the Yakuza ended up hating you once you completed GTA 3, so going after stuff like hidden packages was a nightmare if you did it postgame.

Vice City was a bit better about it, the only gang that still hated you in the postgame was the Haitian gangs and you never needed to do the missions that caused them to be hostile to beat the game anyway. San Andreas let you wipe out the Ballas and Vagos so that wasn't a problem. Liberty City Stories was kind of a pain also, pretty much every gang in the game hates you and pretty early on too. Vice City Stories was a pain too, until you learned that saving your game and reloading after you took over all gang businesses effectively wiped them out from the game permanently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wouldn't have minded the gangs hating you in GTA III so much if you at least had to provoke them explicitly instead of them automatically attacking you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really loved ramming the gently caress out of cop cars in Chinatown Wars to lose my wanted level.

Would be nice.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
If we're going to implement gangs, they could always re-introduce something that GTA2 had, albeit on a more complex scale.

You kill a few Zaibatsu gang guys, and they soon start to hate you, but the Rednecks respect you for it. Your relations always changed depending on what gang you pissed off. Rather than it being dictated by scripted events (See mafia and cartel in GTA3). You could have some radiant quests develop from your dynamic relations from the gangs.

'So ya wanna be in with us, go kill those 'gang' sun;bitches at 'location' and we'll letcha have the number to our gun-merchant, he's a real sweet guy'

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

simosimo posted:

If we're going to implement gangs, they could always re-introduce something that GTA2 had, albeit on a more complex scale.

You kill a few Zaibatsu gang guys, and they soon start to hate you, but the Rednecks respect you for it. Your relations always changed depending on what gang you pissed off. Rather than it being dictated by scripted events (See mafia and cartel in GTA3). You could have some radiant quests develop from your dynamic relations from the gangs.

'So ya wanna be in with us, go kill those 'gang' sun;bitches at 'location' and we'll letcha have the number to our gun-merchant, he's a real sweet guy'

The problem with that is you could murder half the Zaibatsu gang but have everything be kosher once you killed enough Rednecks to make them happy. People wouldn't go for such zaniness in GTAV.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think I mentioned this before, but there is one little sliver of gang stuff in GTA IV. If you were the Albanian Biker Jacket in Hove Beach, you'll get jumped. It's such a weird little detail to have for one article of clothing that you probably won't wear after its specific mission in a part of the map that you probably no longer visit that often.

Personally I don't really care about having gangs, but it would be cool to have a bounty system where hits can be placed on you.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Timeless Appeal posted:

Personally I don't really care about having gangs, but it would be cool to have a bounty system where hits can be placed on you.

The problem is that it's kind of annoying to be fooling around doing stuff and then people jump out and start trying to kill you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Only if it's the aforementioned one hit kill Mafia guys. Someone comes and punches me they best be packin'.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

What would be boss is if they did a GTA where you don't play as just one dude, you choose between several guys who each have a short story mode that ties in together, and you can switch between them at any time. Imagine playing GTAIV where you could switch between playing Niko, Johnny and Luiz at any time and just go through the story mode seeing how this whole thing unravels on each side through their eyes, and each character represents a different faction in the city so you could tie it in with a gang system and have Niko and his eastern european chums controlling parts of the city, Johnny fighting the AOD in Alderney and whatever Gay Tony does (I haven't played that DLC yet). You could go around and conquer parts of the city as which faction you wanted and build up that faction's empire and businesses around the city, this could even have a big impact on the other characters you play as.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If you're going to script all those different scenarios you may as well just have 3 individual games, like they did with GTA4 and 2 episodes. If you're suggesting they had just shortened GTA4 into the length of DLC, then combined all 3 dlc's and made it one game, then yeah I'd buy that. From the preview we saw of GTA5 though didn't they already imply we'd be playing as multiple characters? In which case your wish has already come true!

If however you're suggesting there be 3 characters that do every mission together so that you can just pick which one you want to be in each mission, then no I think that'd be awful. Then I end up playing the same game 3 times over doing the exact same missions just to see the different side stories. Plus you run the risk of having to protect the other 2 CPU players, and nothing is worse than having to babysit cpu's, or be rushed through a mission to try to back them up instead of dictating your own pace. I like how the stories meet up on the diamond heist mission, but I wouldn't want a whole game like that.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

davebo posted:

If you're going to script all those different scenarios you may as well just have 3 individual games, like they did with GTA4 and 2 episodes. If you're suggesting they had just shortened GTA4 into the length of DLC, then combined all 3 dlc's and made it one game, then yeah I'd buy that. From the preview we saw of GTA5 though didn't they already imply we'd be playing as multiple characters? In which case your wish has already come true!

If however you're suggesting there be 3 characters that do every mission together so that you can just pick which one you want to be in each mission, then no I think that'd be awful. Then I end up playing the same game 3 times over doing the exact same missions just to see the different side stories. Plus you run the risk of having to protect the other 2 CPU players, and nothing is worse than having to babysit cpu's, or be rushed through a mission to try to back them up instead of dictating your own pace. I like how the stories meet up on the diamond heist mission, but I wouldn't want a whole game like that.

I meant shortened GTAIV Niko + TLAD and BOGT as one game, where each character has their own missions but it all resides in the same world at the same time and your actions have impacts on your other characters.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

Heliotrope posted:

The problem is that it's kind of annoying to be fooling around doing stuff and then people jump out and start trying to kill you.

I think it would grate on you after a while, but if it was a rare enough event I could see myself enjoying it. Perhaps missions would increase/decrease the likelihood of a hit.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Why would you ever want to switch characters if you're only making GBS threads over what you've already accomplished with a previous one?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

yerrow peril posted:

Why would you ever want to switch characters if you're only making GBS threads over what you've already accomplished with a previous one?

Might not have to be that way, you wouldn't have to switch characters all the time and it could be set up so you don't always directly screw yourself over, the Niko parts could be them taking away territory from say the Triads or the AOD which actually helps the Lost MC parts then.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

yerrow peril posted:

Because it would be fun to hop between the guy with it all vs. the guy with everyone against him. It's all about how you balance it.

I think a lot of people got the multi-character vibe from the GTA V trailer.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I dont think the two character approach would fit the GTA universe. It would be annoying to have accumulated lots of money, a sweet mansion and some neat cars, and then suddenly you cant use them because the game forcibly swith you to another character.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Looks like thats the way this next one is set up. With the older white guy and young black guy

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GyverMac posted:

I dont think the two character approach would fit the GTA universe. It would be annoying to have accumulated lots of money, a sweet mansion and some neat cars, and then suddenly you cant use them because the game forcibly swith you to another character.

But maybe the characters are all tight bro-hams and totally let each other crash on their couch and borrow their cars.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Well the Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty odd, one minute I'm lecturing my dumb friends on how to sell drugs on a street corner, the next I'm doing a small time drug transaction with them and some other guy, then I'm armed with an automatic shotgun and killing like 20 cops and shooting down a police helicopter, then I'm just calmly driving them back to town (why am I the one driving) as if nothing happened, with them cracking jokes about how my guy who just killed like 20 cops and blew up a police helicopter is gay and doesn't know anything about street life :psyduck:

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Well the Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty odd, one minute I'm lecturing my dumb friends on how to sell drugs on a street corner, the next I'm doing a small time drug transaction with them and some other guy, then I'm armed with an automatic shotgun and killing like 20 cops and shooting down a police helicopter, then I'm just calmly driving them back to town (why am I the one driving) as if nothing happened, with them cracking jokes about how my guy who just killed like 20 cops and blew up a police helicopter is gay and doesn't know anything about street life :psyduck:

Armando is the worst thing about The Ballad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

That's a thing that bothers me about GTA4, all the stories are about people who are caught in something beyond their control and always have some pressure on them, but then crazy poo poo will happen like just having an automatic shotgun out of nowhere and killing like 20 cops and shooting down a police helicopter, seriously what the hell, I can't kill that Santo guy that's threatening my mom that doesn't seem to have anything stopping him from dying, but 20 cops and a police helicopter are alright? Like what the gently caress, did the cops not decide to take further action? They had a wiretap against the guy, they must have seen us, they almost certainly have something to go off of, but 20 cops and a police helicopter and I just drive away? What the gently caress. Also this is going to be much more minor in comparison but in TLaD when Johnny goes over to Ray and he pulls a gun on you and he takes you down to Jim in the cellar but Jim escapes and slits that dudes throat, why didn't Johnny or Jim just shoot Ray? The dude was going to kill them, he was quite angry and sad that Jim slit that dude's throat but you can't bother to shoot the guy? I killed like 50 AOD guys and that's fine, I killed like 10 cops who the Police must know went there and who they were pursuing and then find like 10 cops dead in a horrific bloodbath shootout, but killing Ray is just too far? What the gently caress.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, TBoGT really bugs me after TLaD. TLaD was suprisingly well written, and the ending, while not super action packed, was surprisingly fitting in my mind. Stubbs doesn't backstab you, and even comes across as a noble character, if a bastard. Burning down the clubhouse was a really effective ending because of how somber it was. Someone said it before, but TLaD really was what GTA IV was trying to be but failing.

Then I get to TBoGT, and I can't stand any character in the game, and flat out don't want to do any of the story missions because it means working for assholes. In one of the missions for the two old friends,Luis is talking about how he has a legal means of income as he's driving to the drug meet, and asks himself why he's doing it. I don't know, why the gently caress are you doing this?! Ditch your loser friends and meet some people that aren't just going to use you! The writing is just disappointing in comparison.

Sidenote, The Ray thing didn't bug me too much. It felt like a "heat of the moment" thing. Johnny and Jim's priority in that situation was getting the hell out. Plus, in their minds, killing Ray would have probably brought on a ton more trouble from the rest of the mob. Was it smart? No, not at all. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

JAssassin posted:

Yeah, TBoGT really bugs me after TLaD. TLaD was suprisingly well written, and the ending, while not super action packed, was surprisingly fitting in my mind. Stubbs doesn't backstab you, and even comes across as a noble character, if a bastard. Burning down the clubhouse was a really effective ending because of how somber it was. Someone said it before, but TLaD really was what GTA IV was trying to be but failing.

Yeah TLaD is pretty drat solid and the story really works out well, the only part I didn't really like was well I didn't really like how every GTA game has you betrayed by someone close to you, that is really getting old and at some point I just want to be a dude who goes around blowing poo poo up for his friends and getting rich off of it, but the part that bugged me was killing Billy Grey, you bust in to this prison, shoot up the guards and everything, this guy betrayed you, almost had you killed, was trying to pin a drug ring he was for and you were against on you and then all you do is walk up and shoot him in the head, no cinematic or anything, just walk up and shoot him as if he were a random dude.

JAssassin posted:

Sidenote, The Ray thing didn't bug me too much. It felt like a "heat of the moment" thing. Johnny and Jim's priority in that situation was getting the hell out. Plus, in their minds, killing Ray would have probably brought on a ton more trouble from the rest of the mob. Was it smart? No, not at all. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

Yeah I could see it that way but wouldn't Ray just bring further heat to them anyway? I mean he is very pissed off, you killed his friend and stole his money, I doubt he would just stop there, he would probably call in some favours and try to have you taken down, not to mention I'm sure they could have found some way of pinning his death on another faction but that can be explained away with the heat of the moment.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Glad I'm not the only one who found Gay Tony to be terrible in regards to writing and characters. Going from TLAD to Chinatown Wars to that was absolute torture.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

What the gently caress, I'm doing the Mori mission where he meets his old business partners and it's like Liberty City turned in to Mogadishu, dock workers with rocket launchers, me with an automatic shotgun tearing down dudes, what the hell is going on

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 29, 2012

• Locked thread