Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

404notfound posted:

I was just kinda messing around and noticed that I get an interesting sound if I pluck the strings at the 12th fret. It sounds kinda like a square wave, I believe. It's not the same sound as a harmonic played at the 12th fret, when you have your fretting hand gently touching the string as you pluck at the normal spot.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a name for this. Is it a type of harmonic or something?

Your tone varies depending where you strike the string. The closer to the middle, the fewer high overtones you hear.

All physical instruments produce a fundamental tone (the main note) and a series of over/undertones that result from the instrument's resonance. The location of the pluck is kind of like a node in physics. You can get the opposite effect by striking the string right next the bridge, where you'll hear more higher overtones .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
This is the dumbest guitar question I've ever asked and I'm just being lazy, but could someone transpose "the polygon song" for me? I'm hearing the key of c# with a 1-5-4 progression for the verse but that's all I could manage.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
So the owner of this 2003 Strat I'm looking at buying says that the guitar was a window display and factory stickers left ghosts on the pickguard. As for the pickguard I'm guessing that isn't too big of an ordeal to replace if the aesthetics bother me, but is there any other concerns for a guitar that was left in the sun that I should be aware of? Unfortunately I don't know any experienced guitar players to take with me to check it out so I'm trying to cover all of my bases and know what to look out for.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless it was made of improperly dried wood, it'll just be finish bleaching.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I hadn't cleaned fretboard on my acoustic in years and now that I did I can't tell if I accidentally rubbed off the finish or if it's just really clean.

Also I usually hate the sound of brand new guitar strings but these Ernie Ball Earthwoods sound amazing.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If it's rosewood or ebony, it wasn't finished, but you might've wiped out some dye. It was most likely just grime, though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What are the advantages of jazz guitars like these http://www.acousticcentre.com.au/gypsy-jazz compared to other acoustics?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
They're louder (they were built to cut through bands unamplified, like archtops in the US) and (I'm pretty sure) they have fewer overtones. They're often described as bright and crisp. I'm no good at describing sounds, though, so I won't try. They're traditionally strung with silver-plated, copper-wound strings, rather than bronze-wound strings. The bridge isn't glued to the top, and the strings attach to a tailpiece. Traditionally, the body shape and the bracing are different, the scale is longer, and the fretboard is wider, though of course all that can vary from guitar to guitar.

But put all that aside. The main question is: Do you want to sound like Django (or Stochelo or Dorado or Bireli or Angelo or any other gypsy jazz guitarist)? If so, get one of these. If not, maybe a regular flat top is better for you.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm trying to tune my guitar down 2 full steps in standard tuning, and I'm having a bitch of a time getting the first string to a C. I've tried with a few different tuners, and no matter what I do it doesn't seem like I can get it to hold the C perfect and harmonize with the other strings.

This is the first time I have ever tried tuning it this far down. I purchased some thicker strings specifically for this; the first string is 1.32mm.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's wrong, does it just not stay in tune, or can you not get it to a C at all?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So here's my ignorant question: It's my understanding that you can make an electric guitar sound more or less like anything by playing with the output since the guitar itself doesn't generate the sound. So why doesn't that seem to ever be brought up as an option? If you can just hit a button to make an electric guitar sound like a spanish guitar so you can go all Antonio Banderas at whim, that would be pretty loving amazing and I'd expect musicians to be all over it.

So I'm expecting the answer is either 'an electric that's made to sound like an acoustic sounds like a lovely acoustic' or 'it costs a fuckton of money to get the thing that lets your electric sound like another instrument', but I'm still very curious.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My (also ignorant) answer is that the guitar generates the sound, the amp amplifies it, and any modifiers can modify it, but it's still the original sound. Why else would people have different guitars for different songs? (other than not having to retune them, I suppose)

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I'm trying to tune my guitar down 2 full steps in standard tuning, and I'm having a bitch of a time getting the first string to a C. I've tried with a few different tuners, and no matter what I do it doesn't seem like I can get it to hold the C perfect and harmonize with the other strings.

This is the first time I have ever tried tuning it this far down. I purchased some thicker strings specifically for this; the first string is 1.32mm.

When your strings are that loose just the force of plucking them can change the tension enough to make them ring off-key. Even a normally tuned low E string will "sag" if you strike it too hard.

What kind of guitar are you doing this one? The shorter scale, the looser the strings are at the same pitch as a longer scale neck.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Valatar posted:

So here's my ignorant question: It's my understanding that you can make an electric guitar sound more or less like anything by playing with the output since the guitar itself doesn't generate the sound. So why doesn't that seem to ever be brought up as an option? If you can just hit a button to make an electric guitar sound like a spanish guitar so you can go all Antonio Banderas at whim, that would be pretty loving amazing and I'd expect musicians to be all over it.

So I'm expecting the answer is either 'an electric that's made to sound like an acoustic sounds like a lovely acoustic' or 'it costs a fuckton of money to get the thing that lets your electric sound like another instrument', but I'm still very curious.

The sound IS made by the physical vibration of the string, whose magnetic properties generate a current in the pickup. There are things like piezo pickups that do acoustic simulation by generating current in a non-magnetic material, but those sound pretty bad. And then there are fancy MIDI pickups that feed into a console, determine the pitch, and use software to covert it to a MIDI sound. Pat Metheny is known for using a MIDI synthesizer on a lot of his stuff, but the really hard part (aside from paying for it) is to alter your playing so you sound like something other than a guitarist playing a MIDI console.

So, yes, the technology is out there, but most guitarists find it pointless and unnatural sounding.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 28, 2012

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Valatar posted:

The guitar does generate the actual sound, but this is then translated into an electrical signal by the pickups reading changes in the magnetic field generated when you pluck a string. Sure, you can manipulate or cut things out of the signal, but for the most part these are simple effects. Because the sounds of acoustic instruments are extremely complex, it would take something very meticulously designed to change an electric guitar signal to sound like an acoustic. There have been attempts to do something like this, for instance I believe there are several "acoustic modeler" pedals and amp settings, but none of them are really intricate enough to truly capture a realistic sound (as far as I know).

This is the same reason a synthesizer can't just reproduce any instrument at will; the settings required are too complex for us to get there yet.

Edit: Gah, beaten!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Yeah, different instruments sound different because they're, well, different instruments. An acoustic guitar feels different and the sound isn't just a matter of the physics, it's also how the play interacts with the instrument. Minute details like the way you use vibrato or slide into a note change dramatically from an electric to an acoustic to a classical.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

An electric guitar definitely does generate the sound, dry it sounds similar to a clean amplified tone only rubbish, like at the start of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrkubbVkts

Basically an electric sounds like an electric guitar - like all acoustic instruments you get a sound which is made up of a bunch of interacting frequencies, which gives you the pitch (the actual note you can identify) and the timbre (the actual character of the sound). That's why a piano and a flute can play the same note but you can obviously tell them apart. There's kind of three main approaches you can use to change the sound you produce:

• gently caress with the sound of the instrument, either physically or through processing effects that mess with the waveform (like EHX's Effectology videos)
  • Try to process the waveform to pull apart the individual pitches, and use that to control sample triggers or a synth (that Rocksmith game uses analysis to detect exactly what you're playing, doesn't use that to change the sound though)
  • Use some hardware that analyses each string separately and converts it into control data (like on MIDI pickups)

So it's totally possible and it is done, that last link is closest to what you're talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWwDIlmTj8

EDIT: beaten but at least I have style :colbert:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 28, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Valatar posted:

Edit: post removed to avoid beating this dead horse any further.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Aside from that, even if you could make an electric guitar sound like a Spanish guitar, it wouldn't play like a Spanish guitar. Even if I made a keyboard that perfectly synthesized a guitar, and it had every possible functionality through some kind of magic, I could not play it to sound like a Spanish guitarist playing a Spanish guitar because the style of play is different. And a keyboardist playing it would sound like a keyboardist playing it because the approach to the instrument is different. It's why while basic guitar competency applies to all guitars, a classical guitarist playing an electric guitar will sound different than an electric guitarist playing an electric guitar, and vice versa. Musicians have styles that are in a large part based on the instrument they've mastered, and those competencies carry over with them to other instruments.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Can anyone recommend a worthwhile way to "practice" when you don't have access to a traditional guitar? I have a lot of downtime at work, but it's impractical for me to have a full-sized guitar on hand. I know finger strengthening tools are pretty much worthless for anything but hand therapy, but is a travel guitar or a shredneck worth considering?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try working on finger independence, hold on, let me steal a post from another forum for a description of an exercise:

quote:

Another exercise... I'm not sure how much this will help *directly* with your legato but it WILL strengthen your fingers and/or increase your finger dexterity...

Lay your hand flat out on a table. Then try lifting your first and third finger simultaneously while leaving fingers 2 and 4 down. Then try lifting fingers 2 and 4 while leaving fingers 1 and 3 down. Then see how quickly you can switch between these.

It's going to be hard as hell at first since certain fingers seem to naturally want to move in unison, but if you can kind of get this down it will totally strengthen your hand and lower your fingers' dependency on adjacent fingers which may ultimately help you learn this technique.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anyone recommend a worthwhile way to "practice" when you don't have access to a traditional guitar? I have a lot of downtime at work, but it's impractical for me to have a full-sized guitar on hand. I know finger strengthening tools are pretty much worthless for anything but hand therapy, but is a travel guitar or a shredneck worth considering?

You could practice tapping out certain patterns with your fingers, like 1 3 2 4, either on the table or against your other arm like a fake guitar neck, just to keep your fingers independent and to avoid falling into the usual patterns you tend to play. You can work on strumming rhythm too, again any object really - get an online metronome going. The other thing you can do is mentally work on theory - run through your circle of 5ths, pick a key and form all its chords by note names, take a progression and try and transpose it. Listen to music and try and work out the progression it's using (just actively listening is practice).

This stuff might help too
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/practicing/practice-without-your-bass/

Also I don't know how down you are with this, but you could learn rasgueado technique like in flamenco guitar, which if nothing else is great to bust out for a quick rhythmic strum when you're playing acoustic. Hold your strumming hand in a kind of loose fist next to your thigh, so that opening your hand brings your fingertips against your leg. Starting with that loose fist, flick out your 4th finger against your leg (as though you're strumming hard and fast against the strings), then follow it with the 3rd finger, 2nd, 1st, and then flick your thumb up against your leg as you bring all your fingers back in to the start position.

The aim is to get a constant 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5 with a good solid strum across all the strings, and yes this will ache like gently caress at first and you won't be able to consistently do it fast. After a while though, you'll at least be able to fire out a few fingers rapid-fire and bring in an awesome percussive strumming accent to your playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmi6jvS2ut0

That guy's not using his thumb and hell I'm no expert but what I learned from recommended the thumb too, at least so you have the option - and hell why not, you're not doing anything else eh! EDIT: Or maybe he is :v:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 29, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Also I don't know how down you are with this, but you could learn rasgueado technique

Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a flamenco book today. Thanks for the tips.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Any suggestions for a good, small affordable amp that's loud enough to play next to loud drums? I was thinking Roland Cube, but there aren't a whole lot of used ones out there and I keep finding amps like these:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2856099270.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2862063522.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2867151131.html

I'd like something that could play heavy rock like AC/DC, then go to more of a traditional raw sound like the Stones or something......If that's not possible please excuse me for being dumb about amps.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 29, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

leica posted:

Any suggestions for a good, small affordable amp that's loud enough to play next to loud drums? I was thinking Roland Cube, but there aren't a whole lot of used ones out there and I keep finding amps like these:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2856099270.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2862063522.html

I'd like something that could play heavy rock like AC/DC, then go to more of a traditional raw sound like the Stones or something......If that's not possible please excuse me for being dumb about amps.

Are we talking acoustic drums? You want something bigger than a cube if you are playing next to a live kit imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aren't the Cube 80's big enough?

But yeah acoustic drums. I'm just looking to get a nice little setup for my son's bedroom, something that will match and/or exceed the drum's volume, I'll be getting a bass setup next. Guitar is a Brownsville.

I guess effects aren't that important but it would be nice, would like to get the most for the money.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I need some guidance guitar goons.
I'm looking to upgrade either my Peavy VK112 or my Epiphone Riviera P93. I can get pretty much any sound I want with enough dial fiddling, but I'm kind of longing for some simple, sweet, crunchy, humbuckers.

I was looking at the Gibson LP studio, and played a 2011 model at gc for a bit. It sounded alright, but i wasn't too happy with the controls, the toggle switch in particular, and I really wanted the PAFs too. The size and weight were spot on though, but I don't feel its worth the sticker price.
What other brands have similar offerings? A fixed bridge is a must also.

As far as the amp goes I don't think it would be far outclassed by a better guitar, but I'm not sure. I always hear upgrade the amp first, but I really don't know. Its really simple and I'm pretty happy with the clean channel when I use it, the lead channel is ok too, though I almost always have a couple pedals on it anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If the amp is meeting your needs, you don't really need to upgrade. The Valvekings are pretty solid. If there anything you're unhappy with about it?

As far as guitars go, there's a lot out there. You want something a little old school style, right? Well, Agiles are definitely going to be recommended, and they're so cheap you could slam some DiMarzio PAFs or Duncan 59's in there along with any other upgrades you could imagine for less than the price of a new Gibson.
Reverends (http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html) are solid, but they're a little unconventional, though they still have a certain retro, Airline-esque charm.
I'm a huge proponent of Japanese made guitars, so my mind jumps to ESP, but they're frequently equipped with EMGs from the get-go, but when they aren't, they come with a JB/59 combo.
There's the LTD line, which I also like, but not as much as when they were 100% Korean made - anything below the 1000 or signature guitar series are now Indonesian or Chinese. http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-series.html

The PRS SE line is superb as well.

My mind jumps to cheaper brands, mostly, since I don't really know what you had in mind as far as price.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I can vouch for the ESP as well if it's in your price range. My ESP Eclipse 2 is the best guitar I have played.

leica posted:

Aren't the Cube 80's big enough?

But yeah acoustic drums. I'm just looking to get a nice little setup for my son's bedroom, something that will match and/or exceed the drum's volume, I'll be getting a bass setup next. Guitar is a Brownsville.

I guess effects aren't that important but it would be nice, would like to get the most for the money.

It has been a while since I played on a cube but I don't recall thinking it would be suitable next to a live kit. I would say get it and give it a try if it doesn't work out you can always return it and get something else.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 29, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Apparently there's an 80W Cube (oh you mentioned that), which should be loud enough - I played a 30W crappy Laney amp with a drummer once, it sounds loud until the drums and cymbals start getting hit hard and then there's no way you can compete. You could hear the amp, but more in the way that you can hear someone talking in a loud place but you can't tell what they're saying. A better amp will come across louder, but if you want to test a Cube maybe you could go along to a music store and ask them to set one up near a drum kit. It all depends on the room too but at least you'll get an idea

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Yeah those esps look like the business, I'm going to try one out If I can find it. I've never played active pickups though, but I saw one ltd that looks good and has passive pickups .
I don't want to spend too much, the Gibson was about $800, and realistically I think that's about as much as I'm comfortable spending right now though of course, I'd rather spend (much) less.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You could get two or three guitars with some really good pickups for that money.
My preferred brand is Xaviere, though many people here like Rondo.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html

Does this meet your desires?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Flamed-Maple-Honeyburst-Abalone-Purfling-Maple-Binding-_p_4340.html

You just can't go wrong with GFS pickups.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Warcabbit posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Flamed-Maple-Honeyburst-Abalone-Purfling-Maple-Binding-_p_4340.html

Well at that price I won't even have to sell/trade my current guitar! Looks pretty sweet in black too...
Definitely on the short list, still searching for that ltd @ an affordable price though. Gonna check out what PRS has to offer also, they didn't have many models at gc when I went.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Warcabbit posted:

You could get two or three guitars with some really good pickups for that money.
My preferred brand is Xaviere, though many people here like Rondo.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html

That guitar sounds terrible in that video, really muddy and lovely tone imo.

Fact is no matter what pickup you put on it, a $200 guitar will never sound like a les paul, etc. The quality of wood and workmanship all directly effect the sound the guitar produces.

My advice would be to go find a drat nice guitar for that 800$ that you will play for years (I played a gibson SG that sounded like a dream and costs a little more than that just yesterday) than to get three lovely guitars.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 1, 2012

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Found a vid of the xv599 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWxx15G_Gk). Not too impressive, and his comments on the hardware aren't so inspiring either. On the other hand the ltd demo (http://youtu.be/VOnsiVPI3ds) has me wanting to go over budget by a bit. Plus there is at least one PRS SE from their website I want to check out in person too.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yes, the wiring often needs a spot of re-soldering. Nothing too hard, really.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xlyfindel posted:

Found a vid of the xv599 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWxx15G_Gk). Not too impressive, and his comments on the hardware aren't so inspiring either. On the other hand the ltd demo (http://youtu.be/VOnsiVPI3ds) has me wanting to go over budget by a bit. Plus there is at least one PRS SE from their website I want to check out in person too.

Yea the LTD 1000's are really nice. I think by default they come with the EMG pickups I have on my Eclipse. I personally prefer them to the Duncans. Go try em out in a store.

edit: Also pretty much every store has financing. You can get that LTD for like $80 a month for a year and it is much easier on the wallet than dropping the full amount.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 1, 2012

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So I'm feeling ambitious, feel like trying to build/put something together, and have been craving a strat. To that end, I've been looking at used MIA, MIM, and Warmoth strat bodies and necks.

Am I crazy to think I could put together something that sounds and plays better for less than if I bought the equivalent instrument at my local guitar shop? Or would I be better off buying a MIM Fender or a Squier Classic Vibe, then putting in nicer pickups and maybe some minor hardware?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you tried putting together a Warmoth Strat, it can get real pricey real quick. I'd go for buying used MIM or MIA parts off of ebay. Refitting a completed guitar is a good option too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have a MIM strat to which I've dropped in a new set of GFS pickups, and switched out the bridge for a Callaham setup. The Callaham setup replaced the crappy squeaky springs and improved sustain a bit. Both upgrades were worth it in my opinion.