Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Actually, I had it all wrong... Nessa, this is truly the man for you. Leave now, go to him! Have your Asian food, but goddammit LIVE, WOMAN! LIVE!~

Seconded. Your boyfriend is some kinda goddamn weirdo.

No, but seriously, the problem with Nice Guys is that they legit do not care about the target of their affections in the slightest. How can you say there's nothing wrong with someone claiming to be your friend and, when they see you crying about being hurt by someone, thinking "score, this is my chance!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
edit: Never mind, in the time I took typing this up, everyone else said it better than me.

The crazy that is Denise et al. is a whole other story, but people like that come down with Nice Guy Syndrome a lot (which is how we got started on this tangent).

I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure there are plenty of Nice Girls, too.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

InEscape posted:

Yeah, as I said above, it's that these guys don't actually LIKE women, they don't WANT to be your friend. They want to be your boyfriend. They assume all your other boyfriends are "jerks". They don't understand why you keep seeing them as a friend only. They consider "friend" to be a bad thing, and honestly, they aren't your friend if they're just pretending so they can get into your pants. As much as it blows to have someone stop talking to you once you tell them you're not dtf or whatever, it's better than a guy who silently holds all your relationships against you and resents you for not gettin' with him. If I make a friend I wanna be his friend. If we're both single and attracted to each other and something happens then hooray, but I want to be friends first, and not just "friends" as some front to a different end.

I would stop being friends with these people as soon as they started doing things like "I would take you to that cool Japanese place." And I would not give a poo poo if they stopped talking to me. And I agree that it's worse when they just silently begrudge you your feelings instead of being open.

Your last sentence, though. I don't want to speak for you, so please clarify if I get something wrong. You're saying that you'd be friends with a guy in order to get to know him and see if you're compatible, but you'd be ok if he did not feel the same way and you just ended up being friends? If that's what you're saying so, I agree with that and it's completely normal.

Catling Gun posted:

No, but seriously, the problem with Nice Guys is that they legit do not care about the target of their affections in the slightest. How can you say there's nothing wrong with someone claiming to be your friend and, when they see you crying about being hurt by someone, thinking "score, this is my chance!"?

That makes sense. I would not think well of someone if they were an opportunist like that. But I've been in situations before where I was friends with a person and when I became single, they asked me out on a date. I didn't think ill of them and it seemed fine. Maybe it was what InEscape posted, in that they weren't just there biding their time and only hanging around me for some theoretical chance.

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake not this poo poo again. No, it's because they're being your "friend" purely and simply to get in your pants. There's all the difference in the world between that and being friends with someone while also thinking they're kind of fuckable and if something happened that wouldn't be a bad thing.

You seem mad. It pains your greatness so much to post. I mean, HOW DARE I HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH THESE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET AND ASK QUESTIONS? gently caress you.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 28, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

You seem mad. I mean, HOW DARE I HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH THESE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET AND ASK QUESTIONS?

They're frustrated because this question has been asked over and over by so many wanna-be Nice Guys that even my initial reaction was "Oh god I hope he doesn't also post that 'men and women can never be friends / always want to gently caress' garbage"

That's not what you were asserting but I can definitely understand "Oh god not this poo poo again" regarding "It's only creepy because they're ugly, if they were hot they'd take it as a compliment"

edit: nice last-minute edit, u mad bro?

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 28, 2012

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

hyperhazard posted:

I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure there are plenty of Nice Girls, too.

There are. A lot of my friends and I were when we were teenagers, fortunately we outgrew it once we finished puberty and actually interacted with people.

"Why do boys only ever go for those FAKE BITCHES instead of REAL WOMEN like us?!" :byodame: Probably because we were awkward creeps around boys and were just as daft as the "fake bitches" ourselves.

The song You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift is from the perspective of a terrible Nice Girl and sums the phenomenon up better than I could.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hyperhazard posted:

edit: Never mind, in the time I took typing this up, everyone else said it better than me.

The crazy that is Denise et al. is a whole other story, but people like that come down with Nice Guy Syndrome a lot (which is how we got started on this tangent).

Yes, and in their own way they're just as creepy.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, and in their own way they're just as creepy.

For a sad story, let's talk about a girl I was friends with through an anime club who did nothing but mooch of her parents, write fanfic instead of having a job, and AIM'd every day. Didn't cook and dropped by the club with McDonalds or something fried from the cafeteria. I think fast food is a treat, but it's not something a person can eat constantly and it seemed more like a lifestyle for her.

Eventually she decided she was a fairy after getting involved in some LJ community and LARP'd it constantly with some of her other lunatic friends. And they'd have drunk group sex whenever her parents were gone. She stopped bothering me and stopped coming to the club after she decided she was a fairy, but before it was constantly "You don't like me because you're just like everybody else and only want to date "those girls."" I found her gross and she would try to guilt me about body image or whatever. Hey, maybe I don't want to be with someone who constantly eats gross food and can't run a mile. And we were made for each other because we shared some hobbies and would play some games together, as if that makes a great match by default. I tried to softball it since we were in a shared social group, but it's like "yeah, no duh. I want to be with people I find attractive and I can determine who I find attractive or unattractive." The fact that someone would try to deny me that right-- as if I was some sheep who ogled girls in swimsuit issues or something-- was so jarring and disheartening.

Spiffo posted:

They're frustrated because this question has been asked over and over by so many wanna-be Nice Guys that even my initial reaction was "Oh god I hope he doesn't also post that 'men and women can never be friends / always want to gently caress' garbage"

That's not what you were asserting but I can definitely understand "Oh god not this poo poo again" regarding "It's only creepy because they're ugly, if they were hot they'd take it as a compliment"

edit: nice last-minute edit, u mad bro?

If someone were to discuss with me some subject I commonly discussed with others, I would not treat them the same way. I cannot assume that they are aware of this, nor are they well-versed on every subject to have ever been discussed.

I'm not mad. I'm just getting across where I think they're coming from with that attitude and that they can gently caress themselves.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 28, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Blinkman987 posted:

For a sad story, let's talk about a girl I was friends with through an anime club who did nothing but mooch of her parents, write fanfic instead of having a job, and AIM'd every day. Didn't cook and dropped by the club with McDonalds or something fried from the cafeteria. I think fast food is a treat, but it's not something a person can eat constantly and it seemed more like a lifestyle for her.

Eventually she decided she was a fairy after getting involved in some LJ community and LARP'd it constantly with some of her other lunatic friends.
:psyduck: How does that work? Was she a fairy on some astral plane, or did she really think she had wings and...whatever fairies have?

I didn't even know being a fairy was a thing, but maybe I missed it somewhere in this mind-boggling thread. A few months ago, I had no idea that many people believed they were living with anime characters in their head, so live and learn.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

:psyduck: How does that work? Was she a fairy on some astral plane, or did she really think she had wings and...whatever fairies have?

She could be a fairy without wings! I can't speak specifically since it was about 10 years ago, but I do recall that she believed she was a fairy in this world. Not just some astral plane. I assume her world came from diving head-first into an RP group and forgetting to come out and breathe. From my perspective, the two worlds-- and her identities in both-- merged. I didn't take screenshots of her LJ posts as she descended into this madness, though I assume those would just raise more questions than answer the existing ones.

VVVVV: Thanks for continuing to be so arrogant as to tell me what I did, even if my intentions and subsequent dialog show that to not be true. You're awesome!

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 29, 2012

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm not mad. I'm just getting across where I think they're coming from with that attitude and that they can gently caress themselves.
You posted with the attitude that "hey, you know, maybe all the women who posted about this just meant it to apply to people who aren't hot and/or rich. :haw: " Which is typical Nice Guy "shallow bitches!" crap, whether or not that's what you intended.

OK, now the edu- is over, let's get back to the -tainment.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

I would stop being friends with these people as soon as they started doing things like "I would take you to that cool Japanese place." And I would not give a poo poo if they stopped talking to me. And I agree that it's worse when they just silently begrudge you your feelings instead of being open.

In my case, I mostly interact with the dude through Facebook. He found me through another girl nerd friend and was all "I saw you went to the anime con. Did you dress up? I like anime too!"

I got him to come out to one of our comic jams to help meet some other local nerd folks. He hasn't come back. He was also the only person to come to my Halloween party. Mostly, he just chats on Facebook when I'm online. Mostly mundane stuff, but he will drop those "nice guy hints" now and then and comment "Cute!" on some of my photos.

And as far only feeling that way towards ugly guys, he's not ugly. He could stand to work out a bit, but not ugly. He actually reminds me of one of my other Asian guy friends. Except that he's way nerdier, clingier, more socially awkward and not nearly as witty. I think the only reason I find them similar is because they're both Asian and very quiet and passive.

I'm friends with several guys that I would date under different circumstances, but I'm friends with them first and foremost. Because they're cool people to hang out with. "Not dating" should not ruin a friendship.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nessa posted:

I'm friends with several guys that I would date under different circumstances, but I'm friends with them first and foremost. Because they're cool people to hang out with. "Not dating" should not ruin a friendship.

I think its also worth mentioning that dating doesn't necessarily have to be romantic. I've gone on dates with several female friends, with neither of us intending to take things beyond just being friends. Sometimes its just fun to get dressed up and go someplace really nice with someone you share interests with. I think actual nice guys understand that, which makes them fun to hang out with. "Nice guys" always have some ulterior motive.

I know all this because I was the crowning stereotype of a "nice guy" all throughout high school. Thank goodness I eventually grew up. I do have a bit of sympathy for them though, having been there. Behind every one of them is a very bitter, very lonely person who sometimes really isn't aware of just why he isn't attractive to women.

I have much more sympathy for the objects of their obsession, however.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 29, 2012

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

The Bible posted:

I think its also worth mentioning that dating doesn't necessarily have to be romantic. I've gone on dates with several female friends, with neither of us intending to take things beyond just being friends. Sometimes its just fun to get dressed up and go someplace really nice with someone you share interests with. I think actual nice guys understand that, which makes them fun to hang out with. "Nice guys" always have some ulterior motive.

One of my roommates is dating a vegetarian friend of mine so every once in a while he and I have a meat date where we smoke weed and go out to eat copious amounts of dead animals. :3:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My ulterior motive is to have a good time in the company of people I like.

You've been warned, people. If we fail to have a good time on a date then clearly you're a broken human being who can't appreciate my bon mots.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

InEscape posted:

Well, no, that might not be true. But anyone who does this regularly, or who assumes that the only point of interaction with the opposite sex is sex/a relationship. That's better. I guess I've met dudes I pretty much am only interested in boning, but they are few and far between.

I'm a little late on this but just wanted to point out that some people just already have enough friends and don't really need or want more. Some people already have an overpacked schedule and a complete emotional support network. They might not want to exacerbate the difficulty they already have with balancing their social obligations and their own lives, to say nothing of the romantic relationship they're eventually hoping to cram in somewhere. There's nothing really wrong with this.

Of course a lot of people are just dicks in the way you describe. And even if everything I said holds, it's no reason to be rude to people: you can still be friendly acquaintances. But there really are legitimate reasons why someone might not have room for you in their life except under particular conditions, and unfortunately it's very difficult to say so tactfully.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 29, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yes because treating "friends" as employees to fill empty positions in your life is super healthy. "Well all my friend slots are currently full but I do have room for a lover . . . Oh, not qualified? Well see ya. I can keep your resume on file if you like . . . "

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Yes because treating "friends" as employees to fill empty positions in your life is super healthy. "Well all my friend slots are currently full but I do have room for a lover . . . Oh, not qualified? Well see ya. I can keep your resume on file if you like . . . "

Of course not.

But to take an extreme example, what's your advice to someone who works two jobs, or has a kid to take care of, and already barely gets to see the friends he has? Maybe he meets a few women through an online dating site or through his friends, but making plans to hang out with each of them even once every week or two would be a significant burden?

Does he have to stop looking for love to avoid this problem? Or start organizing big parties where he gets to see all these people regularly? Or is he allowed to just politely say "Sorry, I'm busy that weekend" 90% of the time (which after all is probably true), keep up with small talk on Facebook or something, and basically just be acquaintances?

Sometimes people just don't become good friends, and sometimes even good friends grow apart, for reasons that have nothing to do with disliking each other or being unreasonable people. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: vvv Yeah, it probably was worded poorly in the first place. It's not a problem I've ever had (although I have friends who have fit the description), so I'm probably not describing it so well even now. Anyway thanks for giving my clarification a fair hearing after we started off at odds. (Maybe a silly thing to thank you for, but it's a rarity on the Internet).

McNerd fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 29, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

That stuff happens, sure. Your post was just worded oddly, like you just didn't want to bother letting new people into your social circle unless you wanted to gently caress them. There are plenty of people like that unfortunately.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

McNerd posted:

Edit: vvv Yeah, it probably was worded poorly in the first place. It's not a problem I've ever had (although I have friends who have fit the description)

And, again, what I always had a problem with were people who pretended to be your friend while only maintaining interest in loving you/dating you, while attempting to manipulate you and undermine your current relationship (if there was one). I named a number of specific creepy behaviours, none of which are covered just under "not wanting more friends". and in fact, the part you quoted specifically said people who "consistently only see the other gender as having value for sexual or romantic relationships". Sure, maybe you're too busy to have friends, but do you think all [other gender] aren't worth befriending? There's a big difference.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

InEscape posted:

And, again, what I always had a problem with were...
I don't mean to imply you were being unreasonable, by any means, and I apologize for giving that impression. Quite the contrary. In fact, your post communicated that you were having some trouble stating your feelings precisely. In posting this I imagined that you would probably agree wholeheartedly, and if anything, that you might perhaps appreciate my pointing out a blind spot in your wording.

(Why I thought this was so important as to derail the thread a page later, that's a mystery. Certainly not because I thought you were being horribly unfair to the workaholics and social butterflies of the world, which in hindsight does seem to be the implication. I'm sure we'll all be better off if we pretend I didn't say anything.)

InEscape posted:

and in fact, the part you quoted specifically said people who "consistently only see the other gender as having value for sexual or romantic relationships".
Well...

the part I quoted posted:

Well, no, that might not be true. But anyone who does this regularly, or who assumes that the only point of interaction with the opposite sex is sex/a relationship. That's better. I guess I've met dudes I pretty much am only interested in boning, but they are few and far between.

Emphasis added, of course. I was addressing only the "anyone who does this regularly" part of the equation.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 1, 2012

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Blinkman987 posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to fool around with friends while still being just friends. Or is the problem that they're just ugly and not attractive, and if an attractive person acted the same way it would be ok or even welcome?

Let me bore you with a little story about an "ugly" guy and an absolute hottie. My last boyfriend was not especially handsome. Cute, but not head-turning. I was attracted to his personality, his sense of humor, the way he was genuinely curious about me, his ambition, etc. We broke up on bad terms, and part of me really hopes that if/when we cross paths in the future, we'll be able to be at least friendly acquaintances again. I genuinely miss him.

An old friend of mine who moved to across the country, on the other hand, is beautiful--he got offered a modeling gig when he was just walking down the street one day. Women will openly compete with each other for his attention; it's like watching a horse race sometimes. I never thought he'd ever go for me, so I never bothered trying, and I was totally okay with being just a casual friend. So, he came back to town for a weekend, and we hang out with some of our friends, grab a couple drinks, whatever. We eventually ended up alone on our friend's couch, and apropos of nothing, he turned off all the lights, laid his head on my lap, grabbed my hand, and put it in his hair. Then he started groping around under my shirt, and moved my hand to his crotch, and that was when I went home. He headed out the door behind, and went to a bar, probably to pick up some other woman. I haven't seen him since that weekend, and I'm okay with that.

The hot guy treated me like I was convenient, not like I was genuinely attractive. He came across as entitled to getting laid by whoever he wanted, and since he was already in for the night, and hey, Bobbie's right here and she has all of her teeth, and there's no way she'd say 'no,' she was giggling about getting lost in my eyes earlier. Nice Guys have the same sense of entitlement. The only difference between a Nice Guy and a Hot Jerk is that the Nice Guy can explain away rejection by claiming women are shallow bitches.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Bobbie Wickham posted:

An old friend of mine who moved to across the country, on the other hand, is beautiful--he got offered a modeling gig when he was just walking down the street one day. Women will openly compete with each other for his attention; it's like watching a horse race sometimes. I never thought he'd ever go for me, so I never bothered trying, and I was totally okay with being just a casual friend. So, he came back to town for a weekend, and we hang out with some of our friends, grab a couple drinks, whatever. We eventually ended up alone on our friend's couch, and apropos of nothing, he turned off all the lights, laid his head on my lap, grabbed my hand, and put it in his hair. Then he started groping around under my shirt, and moved my hand to his crotch, and that was when I went home. He headed out the door behind, and went to a bar, probably to pick up some other woman. I haven't seen him since that weekend, and I'm okay with that.
That's pretty drat creepy to come out of nowhere. How did he justify that rejection? Or did it just not compute?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
eh i always assumed that Nice Guys were basically exactly the same as the hypothetical "jerks" all women supposedly fall for, except with a crippling inferiority complex

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Nice Guys have the same sense of entitlement. The only difference between a Nice Guy and a Hot Jerk is that the Nice Guy can explain away rejection by claiming women are shallow bitches.

The main difference between hot jerks and nice guys is that the hot guy will just go 'whatever, i'm too good for you anyway :qq:' and console himself by banging someone else. The nice guy can't do that. He's either physically unattractive or awkward or just plain repellent, and the entire reason he's obsessing over his victim love interest is that holy poo poo she likes me and she's a girl. He'll still be all gently caress THAT BITCH :qq: but he doesn't have the balls to leave, so he sucks it up and pretends to still like her unconditionally.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

The Bible posted:

Yeah, these are the best, I go out with a friend of mine every so often on nights like that. Shortly before I moved to her city and was in town for a uni interview we met up and we went to the docks and drank wine, she took me to a sushi bar and then we went back to my hotel room for a drink and a chat before we parted ways. We had an awesome night without thinking 'oh god are we gonna gently caress oh god oh god' despite both of us being gay and now I actually live here I know how to show a girl I'm actually into a drat good night out :3:

Took another close friend of mine to my ex girlfriend's wedding too as I was single at the time, my invite had a plus one and they both knew each other to some extent. Got to get dressed up, dance, drink champagne and have a laugh again without any ulterior motives.

Weirdly I find it easier to do 'formal' stuff like that with friends. When I get with a girl, nine times out of ten we'll go out for a coffee then back to her's or mine, have a smoke and a drink, dance, watch films and talk. I'm kinda shy and find it hard to go all formal and date-y with someone I've just met

For a bit of contribution to the actual thread topic, I had a friend who was one holy hell of a mess but his smash hits involved crying when I spoke to his male friends, crying when he found out I went for a drink with a bloke I met on a Job Centre course (remember, gay female here), telling me how he fantasised about 'fingering you while you play WoW', telling me how often he masturbated in a day and calling me up literally screaming and crying because I'd gotten drunk and talked to him on the phone over a year previous (he hates alcohol). We played on the same WoW server which is how we got back into contact after we initially stopped speaking, and he'd yell at me for idling in Dalaran when I could have been out doing 'more productive things' (in WoW, not irl. He was proud of the fact that he played WoW for 14 hours a day and spent the rest of time at work in a supermarket). If I told him I'd be online after work and then ended up staying late to help clear up or even just chat poo poo with my boss I'd go home to find countless texts asking where the gently caress I thought I was. I'd log WoW after work and go off farming something while I was watching TV or reading, like just chilling, nothing else to do, let's farm up this pet for massive gold, and he'd note where I was, figure out what I was doing and send me abuse. He ridiculed me publicly because I absentmindedly hearthstoned to Dala after a raid instead of taking the portal inside ICC. Yes this is terribly geeky and I will freely admit I adore my videogames as way to chill the hell out but he took it to extremes, to the point of giving me abuse when I said that WoW was just a game to me ('It's not a game, it's my life and should be your's too' :stare: )

He had massive issues with literally everything I did and when I severed after the phone screaming incident he promptly started harassing all my friends that he'd previously claimed to hate, sent me letters to my loving house and sending confusing abusive messages to friends of mine from college that he'd never ever even loving spoken to.

Yeah I shoulda told him to get the gently caress out earlier but he had this awful way of being really nice to you when you did what he wanted or behaved in a way he found acceptable and being a bit of a mental wreck myself it took a long time to tell him he's a creepy oval office and to gently caress off. If I could go back in time I would gently caress him off straight away but at the time I was so insecure and depressed that I just couldn't do it. Now I am fairly confident and happy with my life and Jesus Christ I don't know why I put up with it. This post reads like I'm talking about an abusive boyfriend and it kinda makes me sick thinking about it.

Edit: He no longer speaks to his younger brother because his brother cheated at a videogame when he was 15. If you mention his brother while in his company he will kick you out of his house or refuse to speak to you.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 1, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm reminded of a creepy guy who was into my friend.

We were all members of a popular comics forum and this one guy, Jabber would message my friend over AIM to chat. They would just be talking about comics or mundane stuff when he busted out "I masturbate to your photos." Jabber had a wife who was also a member of the forum and it led to a whole lot of drama. The wife hated my friend for being the subject of her husband's perversion, but I don't know if she knew about the whole "masturbating to photos thing."

This was all years ago.

I guess my friend recently got a message from that guy again. He asked her if she knew that he would masturbate to her photos. As if he had forgotten that he had told her all his creepy fantasies 6 years ago.

I don't know why she just didn't block him after the first creepy thing he said. Perhaps she didn't want him to go on the forums and call her a whore or something. I got called a whore on those forums for entirely different reasons.

The forum no longer exists.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Nessa posted:

They would just be talking about comics or mundane stuff when he busted out "I masturbate to your photos."

Always a guaranteed winner with the ladies, that line.

The Nice Guy stuff seems to be everywhere on the Internet these days. My own memories of being a teenager and unsuccessful with girls are more of thinking "What is it I haven't got or that I'm not doing (in spite of being a nice guy)?" than of hating the girls for ignoring my "niceness." That hatred truly is messed-up thinking.

In retrospect, it would have helped me to wash more often and wear fewer awful clothes, not to mention try to be less generally socially inept. I wasn't insane enough to be "that guy/girl" this thread is about, but I probably shared a few of their characteristics.

General Panic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 1, 2012

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

happyflurple posted:

Edit: He no longer speaks to his younger brother because his brother cheated at a videogame when he was 15. If you mention his brother while in his company he will kick you out of his house or refuse to speak to you.

Videogames Are Serious Business. Did he at least say what cheats he used, and for what games?

slow dive
Mar 13, 2007

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.
Nice Guys are one of the persistent banes of the nerd world. Life is not a video game or RPG, and it especially isn't a dating sim or TV show. You don't perform tasks with a quantifiable, specific outcome, and it makes no sense to be angry when you expect that. If you're so smart, be flexible. If you're so nice, be compassionate. I don't understand why it's a difficult concept.

I know it was sometime back in the thread now, but, still want to hear more about Janelle's crazy antics?

Ask Me About Dating A Girl With Jrockers In Her Head
It's Not Like A Cult
At Least It Wasn't Final Fantasy House

Don't You Think You're Getting A Muse For Him?

There was actually some kind of pressure to keep developing new muses, and if you were to express interest in a certain artist - say, the drummer of a band, Mika - Janelle would get this scheming, knowing look on her face. "You really like Mika, don't you? I see the beginnings of a Mika muse!" She would work to further expose you to that artist, show you videos, or pull you aside to look at pieces of clothing. "That looks like something Mika would like." Even though I didn't have many clothes, she might comment, "That's a Mika outfit, isn't it?" If you said something funny or cute she would say, "That was Mika that said that, wasn't it?" Soon it would be all she could talk about : "When are you going to make a Mika journal? When is Mika going to project? Mika and Hakuei should meet!" Sometimes she would even buy gifts for these 'budding' muses to further encourage them. She would speak to the muse as if they were already there. "Hey Mika, don't you think Imai is such an idiot...?"

I don't think I can express enough how much she would thoroughly hound people to develop these muses. It was actual pressure, and it's something a majority of our friends eventually caved to, often more than once. "But I just know Mika wants to come out! He'd have such fun with Satsuki and Hakuei! I bet Mika would have so much fun watching this movie!"

It got to the point where it genuinely seemed she wanted to spend more time with these muses than she did her actual friends. I still don't understand the logic behind this, because while projecting could be fun, it would mostly end up with dramatic fights, tears, or making out and sex. Not that the two latter things were necessarily bad, but her singular obsession with the creation and maintenance of these muses meant that not a day went by where she didn't mention them. There were never any times when we just hung out as friends or even boyfriend or girlfriend. Even if I begged her to just go out as 'us', she wanted to discuss the social lives of our muses like were gossiping about the real lives of real people we knew.

The power of suggestion is a strong one, especially something suggested over. And over. And over.

Basically any time Janelle suggested to one of her friends that they were getting a muse for a particular person, they would end up getting one. And usually that muse would hook up with one of hers, furthering the cycle.

Still coming, if there's interest:
Muses Are People Too
The Real Girl Who Dated A Fictional Guy
Muse Projecting & Behavior

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slow dive posted:

Still coming, if there's interest:

Just loving post them, jesus christ.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Commissar posted:

Videogames Are Serious Business. Did he at least say what cheats he used, and for what games?

Haha, he said it was some iteration of FIFA which is hilarious and sad because as far as I know there's no real way to cheat on that in a way that gives you an advantage. I'm assuming the real story is his brother beat him at it and he went into an almighty sulk

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

happyflurple posted:

Haha, he said it was some iteration of FIFA which is hilarious and sad because as far as I know there's no real way to cheat on that in a way that gives you an advantage. I'm assuming the real story is his brother beat him at it and he went into an almighty sulk

The only way to defend his honour against the evil bastardry of his younger brother is to never ever talk to him again and stop talking to anyone who mentions him. His name will be stricken from the record books. His crime? Beating me in a game of virtual football :(

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
At first, reading that, I felt really sorry for the younger brother. But the prospect of never having to put up with a creepy gently caress like that ever again doesn't sound all that bad.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Stottie Kyek posted:

At first, reading that, I felt really sorry for the younger brother. But the prospect of never having to put up with a creepy gently caress like that ever again doesn't sound all that bad.

Yeah, it seems like the brother came out of it the best

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Nice guyery always seems to be born of people being frustrated whilst thinking everyone else has got some kind of magic cheat sheet to undo bras and so on.

I remember doing things for attention that seem really freaking embarrasing now: Like I used to enjoy watching dust motes and pretending that each one of them had a whole little universe inside of them. Or when I got on a plane for the first time and got scared, and so tried to write a last will and testement on the back of the menu. Or the time when I wrote an angry note to myself because I had had a drink and a girl I liked was into a guy who I thought was a dick. There is nothing quite like seeing "gently caress EVERY EMOTION BUT RAGE" written in the faltering hand of a drunken 16 year old to really make you realise what a train wreck your life has become. Or when girls were getting nude at a party when I was also 16 and I covered my eyes with a scarf because I thought it was rude. Or when I asked a girl to marry me back in year three because she was good at maths and I was good at English, and so I thought any potential kids would be good at both.

Jesus I have a lot of these things. It's a miracle anyone still talks to me.

I did enjoy reading the game though, it was fun to see that people who claim to be succesful, intelligent and realistic individuals seem to be more broken and angry than some "less successful" people I know.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 1, 2012

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Stottie Kyek posted:

Pretty spot on! As far as I know the brother is living away from home with his girlfriend while my crazed stalker is...well I dunno. Still working the night shift and playing WoW 24/7 I guess. Just before I told him to sod off he decided he was moving to the city I was born in just to be closer to me. Sadly for him and loving fortunately for myself, I moved away to uni shortly after. Remember one time I was waiting for the bus to work and saw him walk past. He looked straight at me and I shat it, that's how much of an effect he had on me. Fortunately I was wearing sunglasses, my tattoos were covered up and I had just had my hair cut short so he didn't recognise me. Still gave us a bit of a panic attack tho cos I knew what he'd have been like if he'd twigged it was me.

Edit: Forgot, I worked in a library for a while. Most of the work was shelving books, issuing and returning, all that poo poo but pretty much every evening I'd hang out with the kids who went there after school. Loved it and they were all awesome kids if not a bit of a handful sometimes but one lass stuck in my mind. She was maybe 11 or 12 and for some reason latched on to me. She'd sit and tell me about all the anime she watched and how she was going to draw manga one day and showed me all her pics she'd drawn. This would go on for ages because I am just too drat nice to tell people to feck off cos I'm busy but she reminded me a little bit of myself at that age. Not especially creepy because 12 year old girls don't tend to be so I'd just chat poo poo with her, recommend RPGs and get her practicing her drawing skills. Got to say I was a bit happy when she mentioned her favourite game is FF7, tables kinda turned then cos it was my turn to ramble enthusiastically. Sweet kid, hope she's doin alright and doesn't turn into Denise mk.2

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 1, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I think we need more stories about I HAVE NO BROTHER guy, if possible. He is a real piece of work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

happyflurple posted:

Pretty spot on! As far as I know the brother is living away from home with his girlfriend while my crazed stalker is...well I dunno. Still working the night shift and playing WoW 24/7 I guess. Just before I told him to sod off he decided he was moving to the city I was born in just to be closer to me. Sadly for him and loving fortunately for myself, I moved away to uni shortly after. Remember one time I was waiting for the bus to work and saw him walk past. He looked straight at me and I shat it, that's how much of an effect he had on me. Fortunately I was wearing sunglasses, my tattoos were covered up and I had just had my hair cut short so he didn't recognise me. Still gave us a bit of a panic attack tho cos I knew what he'd have been like if he'd twigged it was me.

It sounds like something out a of a thriller or chiller. The only thing that would make it a bit more like "Misery" is if he either broke your knees or you started hallucinating him.

^^ Agreed^^

chokeandstroke
Jun 4, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

I think we need more stories about I HAVE NO BROTHER guy, if possible. He is a real piece of work.

Agreed, I was going to ask happyflurple for more stories on this comedy goldmine of an individual, but I'm kinda thinking there isn't much more material on this guy. I hope she proves me wrong. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha don't worry choke, I have thousands and talking about it is kinda therapeutic, mostly so I can see what an idiot I was before I hit my mid 20s! He was hugely opposed to drugs of any kind which is fine by me, as long as people don't go the gently caress on about it. You do what you want, I do what I want kinda thing. We had a whole day out ruined once because he stormed off in a huff after I told him we'd be meeting some mutual friends at the pub. We weren't going to stay, they'd just been in there waiting for us to show up. I knew he didn't drink but I didn't figure he'd get so angry about just going into a drat pub.

A lot of our problems stemmed from my use of drugs. I now only smoke pot and do mushrooms once in a blue moon but it riled the poo poo out of him. When we first met, before I knew of his issues with this poo poo, I mentioned in passing I was going outside for a spliff and I'd be back soon. I came back to a message saying 'I hope you choke on it :)'. poo poo, the one thing I hated about him was his tendency to use the :) emoticon when he was mad at me. Another time a mutual friend posted on my FB wall saying someone had given him twenty pint glasses for free. To Captain Stalky a pint glass = alcohol and he commented saying 'Grow up you're loving pathetic alcoholics :)'

He heard me hitting a bong over Skype once. I knew it was a thing for him at that time so I'd taken my head set off but apparently the mic still picked it up. He immediately logged off then sent me a text saying that hearing that was too much for him and he had to run to be sick. Hilariously he said a few days later that he wanted to watch me get high and blow smoke in his face?! He knew I'd had a problem with speed in the past and told me that 'if you ever end up addicted to drugs again I'm sorry but I just won't be your friend because I find it disgusting' (this was the point where I should have told him I recently developed a massive heroin habit).

Any time I did something to upset him he'd go off on a loving four day sulkathon that would end with a multiple page FB message detailing what I had done to him and how I could improve and how awful his home life had been because his parents divorced and his Mum kept daring to talk to him. On the flip side, if he annoyed me and I said something he'd just tell me he was sick of me giving him poo poo and not speak to me for ages.

Christ on a bike I hate him so much. At one point, shortly before we got back in touch he had a girlfriend and he gave me this sob story as to how she just upped and left one day and never contacted him again. Felt sorry for him at first but as time went on I was just thinking 'hmmmm I wonder why she left huh?'.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if I did start hallucinating him, it'd be just my bloody luck! As far as I know he still emails my ex once every so often asking her why I won't talk to him and telling her I need help because I smoke pot. She takes no poo poo though and I think she has fun reading all his madness, she doesn't pass it on to me so I don't complain, she's an odd one. He managed to track me down on WoW after I changed server and character name and bombarded me with messages alternately saying he both missed me and thought I was a 'mentally unstable oval office' because I smoke weed. I reported him for making umpteen different characters to hassle me so I'm assuming the possibility of losing his beloved Paladin gave him a head check.

Siiiiigh! I sort of wish I'd kept chat logs now ya know.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 2, 2012

• Locked thread