Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Looks like one of my dreams has partially come true after all this time :allears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYQi-CDrSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cat Machine posted:

Sup UK, the Versus Scotland guys have announced a whole load of final information about Hypespotting, which is coming next month:

http://www.versus-scotland.co.uk/2012/02/hypespotting-february-update/

Sponsors include Capcom, Hori and Rising Star Games, who will be giving out prizes to winners and other tournament attendees. Also, all singles tournaments will be pools into double-elim now, and all the entry fees are going direct into the pot so we're looking at some serious prize £££!!!

Gonna show off my pro VF skills and talk poo poo about UMVC3.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My Qanba Q4RAF arrived today and it is glorious. It also comes in a loving gorgeous box too. Oh and a little postcard with the sponsored players on it.

My SE stick looks puny and pathetic now.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
HEY GUYS ONE MORE REMINDER

TOMORROW IS THE BIG NIGHT

interrodactyl posted:

:siren: Goons Game Poorly Online Tournament on Wednesday (2/29): X-Men vs Street Fighter :siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

da gently caress is dis game

It's like Marvel vs Capcom, except awesome because IT HAS GEMSI lied no gems.

how da gently caress do i lurn dis game

SRK has a wiki for it.

dis game is 2hard4me

Stop whining, you have one whole week to become the best XvSF player!

i didn't ask for dis!

YES YOU DID NOW SIGN UP

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

HEY GUYS ONE MORE REMINDER

TOMORROW IS THE BIG NIGHT

I'm still gonna try to enter this but I have been about 50/50 with actually being able to connect to goons on GGPO. I think it's my ISP, since they are really lovely and I have all my router ports forwarded properly. So yeah, if I can't connect to you tomorrow you get the win.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

dj_de posted:

Looks like one of my dreams has partially come true after all this time :allears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYQi-CDrSM

I got to play this at what I think was a location test in Chicago (Dennis' Place For Games on Belmont). I have distinct memories of really enjoying the way the game played. And Kaya being a beast.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/sexual-harassment-as-ethical-imperative-the-ugly-side-of-fighting-games

quote:

“The sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community… it doesn’t make sense to have that attitude. These things have been established for years,” Aris stated. He then noted that making sexual jokes at StarCraft players would be inappropriate, so it’s unfair for anyone to tell fighting game fans they can’t viciously mock women. You can listen to the speech for yourself, the argument begins an hour and forty five minutes into the video.

I've listened to a few of Aris' podcasts in the past and I remember him seeming like a pretty dead-on guy so this is a real shame to read. True, it's kinda nice in the FGC that you don't need to be friendly all the time but claiming that the sexism is an integral part to having the community is just plain bizarre.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Question Mark Mound posted:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/sexual-harassment-as-ethical-imperative-the-ugly-side-of-fighting-games

I've listened to a few of Aris' podcasts in the past and I remember him seeming like a pretty dead-on guy so this is a real shame to read. True, it's kinda nice in the FGC that you don't need to be friendly all the time but claiming that the sexism is an integral part to having the community is just plain bizarre.

He just posted this. Unsurprisingly, it's basically a giant excuse. "What I was trying to communicate is that mild hostility has always been a defining characteristic of the fighting game scene" - seriously? This is the best he's got? Then I guess mild hostility and sexual harassment are one and the same in his mind. Even then, trying to wave away a negative aspect of any community as "oh well it's always been like that" isn't an excuse to not try and fix it

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

quote:

"The sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community"

I don't even understand what he's going for, here. Like, does he think it is impossible to enjoy and discuss fighting games without also talking about how women are dumb sluts?

I mean, I get that a lot of fighting game players don't have much contact with the opposite sex, I guess I just didn't realize this was an Integral Aspect of the Community.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember when he was announced as a coach and there was a general consensus he would drop way too many F bombs and be forced off. This is a surprise, I thought it was a mvc3 east coast thing with all that "phoenix rape"

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

The most ridiculous thing he said was that the fighting game community without the sexual harrassment would be like basketball without a basketball... :downsgun:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Superschaf posted:

The most ridiculous thing he said was that the fighting game community without the sexual harrassment would be like basketball without a basketball... :downsgun:
But don't you get it? The actual game doesn't work the same if you're not mouthing off about women! Like, you can't FADC without shouting "sluts" before doing it.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I just can't imagine whoever brought Aris to the show would be surprised he would say some crazy poo poo. He has always said crazy poo poo.

I almost think they were banking on Aris saying something, not necessarily this, to draw more publicity. But who knows!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I can understand making the argument that trash talk, foul language, and crosstalk are part of the FG community, which I think is one of the key aspects that differentiate it from other competitive communities. Sexual harassment crosses a pretty bright line though, and it's one thing to rag on a player for making bad gameplay decisions or refusing to shower, and another to harass them because they have a vagina.

Aris is a controversial figure and they probably did bring him on expecting him to say some outlandish things to get publicity, but having a laserbeam focus on something this heinous is probably not good for Capcom publicity wise. Probably a good thing to have this discussion openly in the community, but I think I'm just gonna get mad about it. For those interested, the Magic the Gathering community is also having some weird metacrisis over misogyny and sexism in their community as well.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Munsun posted:

I just can't imagine whoever brought Aris to the show would be surprised he would say some crazy poo poo. He has always said crazy poo poo.

I almost think they were banking on Aris saying something, not necessarily this, to draw more publicity. But who knows!

Of course they were expecting him to mouth off and say some dumb poo poo, they were not expecting him to harass Super_Yan off the show.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

mango sentinel posted:

I can understand making the argument that trash talk, foul language, and crosstalk are part of the FG community, which I think is one of the key aspects that differentiate it from other competitive communities. Sexual harassment crosses a pretty bright line though, and it's one thing to rag on a player for making bad gameplay decisions or refusing to shower, and another to harass them because they have a vagina.

Aris is a controversial figure and they probably did bring him on expecting him to say some outlandish things to get publicity, but having a laserbeam focus on something this heinous is probably not good for Capcom publicity wise. Probably a good thing to have this discussion openly in the community, but I think I'm just gonna get mad about it. For those interested, the Magic the Gathering community is also having some weird metacrisis over misogyny and sexism in their community as well.

Not to derail, but could you give a brief bite on what's happening with the MT:G community and this problem? I haven't played in tournaments in awhile but the types that show up do seem quite fighting gamer-y.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: wait we already talked about this

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Not to derail, but could you give a brief bite on what's happening with the MT:G community and this problem? I haven't played in tournaments in awhile but the types that show up do seem quite fighting gamer-y.
It's a little less volatile than claiming sexual harassment is essential to the community. It started a while back when some woman on Gizmodo wrote an article about how she went on two dates with some erstwhile normal guy from OKCupid who had the audacity to not tell her up front he was a professional MTG player (one of the best ever, incidentally.) This caused a massive backlash in the community against the author, mostly consisting of angry, sexist rantings rather than focusing on the fact this person was both shallow and wrote an incendiary article to get pageviews, neither having anything to do with gender.

The outpouring of woman hatred after this cause a bunch of people to start highlighting the fact this kind of misogyny was not merely directed at this one Gizmodo author but endemic at Magic from every level from tournaments, to local weekly events, down to the art on the cards. It's a tough slog but the general message of the "good guys" here is that it's harmful to the community not just on a moral level or publicity level, but holds back the community by turning away aspiring female players from staying in the hobby. The two most common experiences that a female magic player will face at Friday Night Magic is either creepy nerds sexualizing her, or ignorant ones treating her like a child who doesn't understand the game.

I think the FG community has most of the same stuff going on, but has a much tougher uphill battle against it due to the attitude of the community, as exemplified by Aris. Where as the Magic community mostly just refuses to admit its an issue, in the FG community you have a community that has members willing to openly embrace the attitude. Where Magic has well established and successful brand has a gaming hobby, the FG community for the past several years has been focused on trying to grow and monetize the scene. When you have this kind of negative publicity and are in effect actively turning women away from the hobby, that is no way to grow a brand and is poisonous to the future of the hobby. I hope Capcom and other, more business minded community organizers recognize this and really make an effort to turn this around.

In other news, I have friends that will be at Final Round and I'd like to go visit them and watch some stuff, but don't actually want to participate as I haven't played anything on a competitive level in 10 years and am a total scrublord. Do I have to pay $40 just get in the door and then tournament registration is separate? If so I think I might just meet my people for lunch somewhere.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

mango sentinel posted:

M:TG talk

Thanks for that, and I definitely agree. I still play some cards from time to time with different play groups and it's definitely a lot better and fun with both genders enjoying it together :)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mango sentinel posted:

In other news, I have friends that will be at Final Round and I'd like to go visit them and watch some stuff, but don't actually want to participate as I haven't played anything on a competitive level in 10 years and am a total scrublord. Do I have to pay $40 just get in the door and then tournament registration is separate? If so I think I might just meet my people for lunch somewhere.

This is right. Spectator badges are 20 on sunday if you just want to watch the finals or whatever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

It's coming to a head currently due to a terribly inappropriate playmat that was slated to be given out at a major event by the tournament organizer (not Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast) before there was a major outcry, and because of a woman making top 8 of a major tournament and people in streamchat acting like misogynist idiots.

However, unlike the FGC, many of the top Magic players are middle-class white people reasonable human beings, and are much less tolerant of this sort of behaviour, and not defending it like some top players in FGC.

Phaelog
Jun 27, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

It's coming to a head currently due to a terribly inappropriate playmat that was slated to be given out at a major event by the tournament organizer (not Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast) before there was a major outcry, and because of a woman making top 8 of a major tournament and people in streamchat acting like misogynist idiots.

However, unlike the FGC, many of the top Magic players are middle-class white people reasonable human beings, and are much less tolerant of this sort of behaviour, and not defending it like some top players in FGC.

The top 8 performer from this weekend is also a goon (Ockhams Machete). She top 4'd and earned a Pro Tour invite for Barcelona. The match she lost was also razor close. The stream chat (the few times I looked at it) during her matches was eye cancer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some more info on VF5 from Andriasang (click). Eight-player lobbies, replay uploads/saving, voice chat. The new single-player mode is called "License Challenge" - no info there, but I'm guessing it's more of a Tekken-style quick match thing than the usual VF quest-style mode, and that all the dressup items will be DLC.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

UberChair posted:

He just posted this. Unsurprisingly, it's basically a giant excuse. "What I was trying to communicate is that mild hostility has always been a defining characteristic of the fighting game scene" - seriously? This is the best he's got? Then I guess mild hostility and sexual harassment are one and the same in his mind. Even then, trying to wave away a negative aspect of any community as "oh well it's always been like that" isn't an excuse to not try and fix it

This is a community that lets thirteen year-old kids make poor rape jokes on streams like Spooky, and spergs over someone like Kayo or Jenny (I wanted to slap Reinhart when he was on the mic even if he has a good Vergil). Until the community will realize that being a manchild who lives in your parents basement smoking weed in SoCal twit by throwing racial/sexist jokes is stupid and unprofessional, the scene's going to go nowhere [out of SoCal].

The whole Cross Assault thing is a complete joke, and is almost killing some folks' interest in the scene let alone SFxT (not like anyone here is excited to play it with all the whining*).

*I'm rolling with Kuma and Poison. Screw you guys.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 1, 2012

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I don't get how the scene is going nowhere though. Every year every major gets bigger and new majors start up. Most TOs (at least I know Big-E, Keits and Jebailey have said this publicly) make their money back from running majors and usually even profit enough to help it grow next year. Stream viewership, while still below SC2 levels, is higher than it has ever been for fighting games. Sponsorships from real organizations have really just started happening as a big thing over the past year. EVO this year is probably going to be even bigger and better than last year, like it always is and Capcom has just promised some vague 500 thousand dollar prize circuit of some sort with IPL involved.

The scene was already going places before Aris decided to act like the hugest scumbag on earth on stream, and in all honestly will continue going places for better or for worse.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Brett824 posted:

I don't get how the scene is going nowhere though. Every year every major gets bigger and new majors start up. Most TOs (at least I know Big-E, Keits and Jebailey have said this publicly) make their money back from running majors and usually even profit enough to help it grow next year. Stream viewership, while still below SC2 levels, is higher than it has ever been for fighting games. Sponsorships from real organizations have really just started happening as a big thing over the past year. EVO this year is probably going to be even bigger and better than last year, like it always is and Capcom has just promised some vague 500 thousand dollar prize circuit of some sort with IPL involved.

The scene was already going places before Aris decided to act like the hugest scumbag on earth on stream, and in all honestly will continue going places for better or for worse.

If a competitive scene's going to be filled with pot-smoking manchildren who make racist/sexist jokes in some dumpy part of California, no one out of that scene's going to look at you kindly. Third Strike barely got anyone new into it because the community is piss awful regardless to it being online/offline. You make more money by not being a creepy, elitist knucklehead who pushes people away when they want to check your scene out.

There's a reason why Starcraft gets more competitive attention than fighting games.

v v v
What trend or catch on?

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 1, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Schmendrick posted:

If a competitive scene's going to be filled with pot-smoking manchildren who make racist/sexist jokes in some dumpy part of California, no one out of that scene's going to look at you kindly. Third Strike barely got anyone new into it because the community is piss awful regardless to it being online/offline. You make more money by not being a creepy, elitist knucklehead who pushes people away when they want to check your scene out.

There's a reason why Starcraft gets more competitive attention than fighting games.

How do you still not get that no matter how much LA sucks, finding increasingly long-winded ways to call things you don't like "SoCal" is loving stupid and isn't going to catch on?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Schmendrick posted:

Okay that doesn't mean anything though. Starcraft gets more competitive attention but they also run weird invitational majors that lose a shitton of money because ad revenue can't sustain them and MLG was pretty close to being broke before that recent PPV Winter Arena stream which was apparently a big success and it's really more of a spectator sport that anything. I like the current state of the fighting game scene a lot and it's really not as filled with horrible people like you're claiming.

e: Oh I didn't realize you're that "SoCal" guy. Don't know why I bothered responding.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I haven't seen any girls get sexually harassed in the NC scene.

Oh, wait, I haven't seen any girls in the NC scene at all.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Sherry should've defended herself too. She kept getting trolled over and over and didn't bother to raise her voice. Then again, I doubt she knew what kind of a person Aris was, so it all probably came out of nowhere. Aris wanted to toughen her up, but ended up making things look worse.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Brosnan posted:

How do you still not get that no matter how much LA sucks, finding increasingly long-winded ways to call things you don't like "SoCal" is loving stupid and isn't going to catch on?
Haha until you said this I didn't realize he was the SoCal guy, I just assumed he was making fun of the SoCal guy.

HORSEPORN
Oct 7, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

Sherry should've defended herself too. She kept getting trolled over and over and didn't bother to raise her voice. Then again, I doubt she knew what kind of a person Aris was, so it all probably came out of nowhere. Aris wanted to toughen her up, but ended up making things look worse.

Sherry probably has a pretty good knowledge of who Aris is which combined with her personality is what made her not care.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
THERE WASN'T EVEN A MAGNETO IN THE FINALS

Good poo poo to everyone who showed up! Everyone else who didn't sign up, shame on you. To those who signed up and didn't show up you are horrible people forever and I hope you get warts on your nose!

1st: Zand
2nd: Fayk
3rd: RickoniX

Clearly this shows NorCal supremacy, since we've had someone in the Top 3 for Melty (me), KoF98 (me), VSav (Brosnan), and XvSF (Fayk).

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

GOONS GAMING POORLY ONLINE GOONBATS

So the reception to the first two had been okay.

So here's what I'm going to do.

Twelve Weeks

Twelve Games

One Winner

NO PRIZES
(Maybe I'll buy you a custom title that says King of Goons Gaming Poorly Online)

Every week on Wednesday at 7pm PST (10pm EST), I'll run a tournament for a new GGPO game. Same format as has been happening before - Challonge signup, easy entry, no fee. (If this goes well, I might even remove the ban on ice cream and fries.)

So what are the games?

Glad you asked!

Week 1: Street Fighter Alpha 2

Week 2: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Week 3: King of Fighters '98

Week 4: Windjammers

Week 5: Samurai Shodown 5 Special

Week 6: Vampire Savior

Week 7: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Week 8: King of Fighters 2002

Week 9: Street Fighter Alpha 3

Week 10: Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Week 11: Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheroes

Week 12: Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Cool, what the gently caress is a goonbat?

It's the goony version of a ranbat, the Japanese portmanteau for "ranking battle". It's a continuous series where you get points for playing well over a series of tournaments, to see who the best is!

Okay, so how are the points going down?

1st: 8pts
2nd: 7pts
3rd: 6pts
4th: 5pts
5th: 3pts
Signing up and playing: 1 Lousy Goonbat Point

After we start getting points, I'll do seeds by point standings!

I'm not hype.

:colbert:

So I really don't win anything?

Well, you can have goon bragging rights saying that you're good at a bunch of games that no one plays anymore. But mostly this is to try to get FG players to start playing older games! Some of them are really drat fun, and this is a pretty good selection if you're looking to try some of them out. Even if you're not good at a game, I suggest you try them all to see how you like them.

(If you really want to, I can buy you that lovely custom title that says King of Goons Gaming Poorly Online.)

How to NETPLAY? PLEASE TEACH??!?!?!?!?

GGPO is king.

I've got more questions!

Sure, ask me about it in the Fighting Game Thread. I check that regularly, and it'll be the base of operations.

Either that, or catch me in #goonsgarden on irc.synirc.net

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
:siren:GGPO Goonbats #1: Street Fighter Alpha 2:siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012. BE THERE.

DO SOME loving SWEEP XX FIREBALL.

This is the first in a series of weekly ranbats. Check it out!

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 5, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

interrodactyl posted:

Week 12: Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Wasnt 3rd Strike removed from GGPO? I havent touched GGPO in ages so I guess I could be wrong.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Yeah...there's a funny story about that. We'll deal with it when we get there!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

interrodactyl posted:

Yeah...there's a funny story about that. We'll deal with it when we get there!

Car punching time attack. You must post your best run on Youtube before the deadline.

Where do I sign!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japanese VF5FS site is up (click) - I can't read Japanese so I don't know exactly how much new info is on there, but it does say you'll be able to toggle input/frame data for replays, and there's a little blurb on the License Challenge which sounds very SC-ish.

EDIT: translation

quote:

Online Mode: up to 8 players, spectator mode included. Traditional options for room size, region, as well as to allow playable Dural

Customizable costumes: Because VF5FS is close to the maximum size allowed for DLC games, all items other than the defaults are not included in the game and are sold as DLC. Items will be sold separately and in packs.

Training: Options for throw escapes, evades, rising attacks/speed and struggle from guard breaks.

Replays: You can save offline AND online matches. Frame data, etc. will be included

License Mode: Tons of challenges as you fight the CPU. There's stuff like "all moves can be canceled", "half weight gravity" and "opponent health doubled", etc. Clear a challenge and get a special license.

Button configuration: You can set up the controller at the character select screen, and there's also a "button check" option too so you can check to make sure your buttons are properly configured and working!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 1, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

Car punching time attack. You must post your best run on Youtube before the deadline.

Where do I sign!

3S is still playable on GGPO, just not overtly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
So are any goons going to Final Round? It's going to be my first tournament and I've already got the jitters. If anyone wants to hang out I'm going to be there each day. Mainly I need to borrow a PS3 stick and a shoulder to cry on once I go 0-2.

• Locked thread