Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I know I've posted this before in the thread, but Use of Weapons is possibly the best book for the Culture series, my favourite still belongs to Look to Windward though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Good decision Hedrigall because Consider Phlebas is at best kind of uneven. (Also has a great ending, though!)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

my favourite still belongs to Look to Windward though.

Agreed. It's a lovely story about a great and sympathetic set of characters and gives us the best insight into the actual life of Culture peoples in the series. Plus, Masaq' Hub is my favourite character in the whole series.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 27, 2012

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Use of Weapons really is the way to go. I think it shows the role of Special Circumstances better than any other book, and it's got the perfect balance between omnipotent Culture tech and vulnerable, isolated individuals up against powerful forces. The characters are great too, Zakalwe of course, but also Sma, the Xenophobe and even the bit-parts, like Mollen the mute bodyguard.

Plus, it's probably the best introduction to Banks' love of non-chronological narrative, and as people have said, when the threads come together at the end it's absolutely amazing.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I argue that Use Of Weapons is the best Culture book, but not the one you should start with. That was the first Culture book I read and I didn't fully understand what the Culture was all about (despite it being a pretty good story).

While the story isn't as good, I thought Player of Games would've been the perfect book to start the Culture series with. It gives you a pretty good insight into the people of the Culture and the tech around it.

syphon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 27, 2012

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Consider phlebas is fine, it's not an amazing book but it's quick and full of action and horza is a pretty cool character.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, Consider Phlebas is a fine starting point, its just not as representative of the other books as Player of Games. Though the story does drag a little in the middle.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Consider Phlebas is great, but I wouldn't really call it a Culture book as such. It's a sci-fi story which has the Culture in it. I sometimes wonder whether Banks meant for them to take centre stage. Pretty ballsy making them the enemy in the first book if he did intend it all along, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
He wrote a bunch of science fiction novels before any of them were ever published, so I don't know if he intended that one to be the introduction of the Culture when he penned it. I think Use of Weapons is the oldest story, and it sat for a long time without the narrative structure we know and love.

e: according to wiki, the old verwsion of use of weapons dates back to '74

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 28, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The loving Eaters. :cry:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Daktar posted:

Consider Phlebas is great, but I wouldn't really call it a Culture book as such. It's a sci-fi story which has the Culture in it. I sometimes wonder whether Banks meant for them to take centre stage. Pretty ballsy making them the enemy in the first book if he did intend it all along, though.

Eh, I dunno. He makes the culture the antagonists, sorta, but it's also pretty clear that the idirans are loving crazy and that the culture is fairly reasonable in contrast.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

andrew smash posted:

Eh, I dunno. He makes the culture the antagonists, sorta, but it's also pretty clear that the idirans are loving crazy and that the culture is fairly reasonable in contrast.

It's almost as if there are shades of grey and moral ambiguity.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 29, 2012

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Daktar posted:

He did. My citation of this consists of having met him a bunch of times - Give him whisk(e)y at your own risk - and conversations that flowed. That I remember, Consider Phlebas is predicate on the base idea of a "Good Guy fighting on the wrong side".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Joramun posted:

It's almost as if there are shades of grey and moral ambiguity.

:rolleyes: Thanks for contributing.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Banks has said that the Culture is his idea of the perfect society to live in. In Consider Phlebas, Horza "fights on the side of life," but is himself a member of a test-tube race of living weapons (not so unlike the Mind he seeks to capture, leading it to name itself after him). Horza may be portrayed as a good guy in some eyes, but from a Culture viewpoint, he murders the transport ship Mind on Vavatch and Uncle Tom's the drone he kidnaps for much of the book.

One of the few good guys is the SC agent operating half a galaxy away, doing her best to minimize the loss of life in the epic war, and only exists to show how detached Horza is from the truth.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

Horza may be portrayed as a good guy in some eyes, but from a Culture viewpoint, he murders the transport ship Mind on Vavatch and Uncle Tom's the drone he kidnaps for much of the book.

Overall I agree, but a minor nitpick the transport was just a low level AI, not a Mind, not even on a Drone's level as far as I would guess.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I bought Feersum Endjinn earlier as that and the one with the green cover are the only Iain M Banks books I haven't read, is it any good?

I've generally dodged the non-Culture ones for some reason and I never got around to finishing Against a Dark Background as I got interrupted reading it and never went back to it.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

a kitten posted:

Overall I agree, but a minor nitpick the transport was just a low level AI, not a Mind, not even on a Drone's level as far as I would guess.

Doh, good point! I liked how trusting and helpful the machines are shown to be while Horza does his thing. I read Consider Phlebas first, and I'm glad I did because it gives a solid foundation for how the humans and machines relate to each other inside the Culture. The Player of Games puts a magnifying glass on that with a much wider range of personalities. Still new to the series, so Use of Weapons is next (sorta- I have a pile of books which never seems to get smaller).

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Feersum Endjinn has a bunch of phonetic narration, but it stops being work after a while. It's also the Banks book with my favourite character.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
The sections of phonetic dialogue are a little jarring at first and turn a lot of people off but stick with it, it's a great book overall.

I don't blame you for not finishing Against a Dark Background though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, I'm wrapping up Children of Dune at the moment so once I've done that I'll get cracking on these, be nice to pick up a paperback as opposed to using my Kindle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finished Matter. It's true it's not one of the best Culture books, but it was fine, it had some interesting points about the morality of the different sides in an high tech race-low tech race involvement and it expanded more the Culture galaxy.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I just re-read Surface Detail and, well, with all the other level 8 civilisations out there, how come none of them ever prevail against the Culture? I mean, Banks has been hinting increasingly that the Culture is something of a smug bastard that a lot of people would like to embarrass.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rejutka posted:

I just re-read Surface Detail and, well, with all the other level 8 civilisations out there, how come none of them ever prevail against the Culture? I mean, Banks has been hinting increasingly that the Culture is something of a smug bastard that a lot of people would like to embarrass.

I think as level 8's go, the Culture is on the high end of the level, because they haven't had the good manners to sublime when they should have. They're also a lot larger than most other 8's (although the Water civilisation from Matter is one exception), especially any single-race ones, and they've fully embraced Minds, which gives them a major strategic and planning advantage.

That said, I think it's mostly size. The Homomda, for example, were technologically ahead of the Culture a little during the Idiran war, and supported the Idirans, but they just didn't have the scale to beat them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 2, 2012

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Also, the rest of 'em are a bunch of boring stuffy arseholes.

I imagine you might be able to embarrass parts of the Culture, but the rest are under no compulsion to give a drat. Short of all out war, you can't really strike a political body blow to an almost completely anarchist collective.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Plus conflict is pretty rare amongst level 8s, most of them are mature enough to realize just how pointless and wasteful war is. You're more likely to see trouble from lower level civs looking to flex their muscles in some kind of galactic dick waving contest.

Also you're forgetting the traditional saying; DON'T gently caress WITH THE CULTURE.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
GSV What If I Just Want To Twiddle The Nipples?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

rejutka posted:

GSV What If I Just Want To Twiddle The Nipples?

That would be a totally valid ship name.

Along with the ROU Just the tip

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

We gonna do this again?

GSV Space for Rent

GOU Now Look What You Made Me Do

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GSV Are we there yet?

Fraser
Dec 14, 2005

Joramun posted:

Just finished Use of Weapons. Without a doubt one of the most powerful endings of anything ever.

Quick question for verification: on their century-long space voyage, the cryogenically frozen woman Elethiomel opens the coffin of and has to hold himself back not to kill, is Livvy, right?

I've just finished Use of Weapons, regarding your spoiler I'll quote page 388 of the kindle version:

"And he told them about Livueta, who had never forgiven, and had followed him - on another cold ship,"

Unless this is a lie, I don't think your theory is right. Something I'd never considered before though, it was an interesting idea!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
(d)ROU Melon Farmer

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ROU All the cool kids are doing it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Fast Picket Now That'll Be A Pain To Clean

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Barry Foster posted:

GOU Now Look What You Made Me Do

That's already one! It's mentioned in Look to Windward.

ROU Irreconcilable Similarities
GOU All Uphill From Here

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's really hard to beat Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The for ship names.

A few years back my roommate had a copy of Consider, Phlebas that I read on a whim, I hadn't heard anything about Banks or the Culture beforehand. The ending pissed me off so much that I literally tossed the book aside in anger, something that I've never done in all the years I've been reading.

Despite that rather immature reaction I was intrigued enough by the world he set up that a month or two later I decided to buy Player of Games just to see if maybe this one wouldn't end up making me angry. I've been a huge fan of the books ever since. Even if Matter and Surface details aren't quite as great as some of the others, I'm still pretty excited to hear that a new one will be out reasonably soon.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
GOU The BIG Stick

ROU Not Your Friend

Natty Ninefingers fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 3, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Natty Ninefingers posted:

GOU The Big Stick

All these potential ship names just make me want to re-read one of the books, I just started on the Silmarillion though.

OU I Said, I Have a Big Stick

e: holy crap, the wiki entries for the Culture have gotten way, way more expansive since the last time I looked.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
GOU This Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

That's already one! It's mentioned in Look to Windward.

Ah bollocks, you're right. Think I'm gonna have to cheat a bit on the next one.

ROU Mostly Harmless

a kitten posted:

It's really hard to beat Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The for ship names.

Frank Exchange of Views is my favourite euphemism for horrible, bloody combat ever.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 3, 2012

• Locked thread