Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So that's Not-Vriska and Not-Fef so far.

So what's the current popular theory? That these are the troll ancestors from before they made the deal with Doc Scratch?

That's my theory, in any case. I'm also believing that the B2 kids create A1, though I don't know how popular that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I bet Not-Karkat will be the last one revealed.

And then UU.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh poo poo she has a pierced eyebrow. That's loving awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh. This is the first new troll that's not wearing the Sufferer's symbol.

What does it mean?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
For some reason it didn't occur to me till this update that the girl troll that Jake saw, Mindfang/Vriska or otherwise, was dead. Cause his dreamself is dead and he was in dream bubble land.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I can't handle ALL these characters. How many is that, ~48? God drat.
e: and before they're all properly introduced some are already dead. Oh Hussie.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 29, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Evil Mastermind posted:

What does it mean?

This is only the second new troll we've seen, though. Not-Vriska might be the outlier, not Not-Feferi.

A Spider posted:

48 characters? All this time Hussie was promising the 48-player Squiddles intermission, but the truth is we've been reading it all along :aaaaa:

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Lady of the Beech posted:

Betty's a dude? This is a cool revela--

Oh.

Phew, I'm not alone

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh wow, this is cool :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, my guess at this point is def. the A1 trolls, who were the ancestors for the A2 trolls in their universe.

Maybe they escaped the effects of their scratch... by dying? That's not a totally terrible idea, considering you could reappear in the dream bubbles. Then again Feferi said she was the one who asked the Horroterrors to glub them in the first place. On the other hand, time is pretty drat flexible in paradox space.

It'll be curious to see what elements of the ancestors' personalities shine through here. The scratch made the troll race vicious, after all. Are Mindfang and the Summoner together? Is the Condesce a huge bitch, bluh bluh? And what's the pre-Scratch Sufferer like?

KoB
May 1, 2009

A Spider posted:

e: and before they're all properly introduced some are already dead. Oh Hussie.

48?

12 trolls
12 Ancestors
4 Kids
4 Guardians
+?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My friend finally decided to try out Homestuck.

:allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Feferancestor is surprisingly intimidating. Like, I can just tell that even in the relatively docile A1 universe she still has murder on her mind.

Turn around, Roxy! :ohdear:

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

This is kind of old, but

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In other news, Music Contest winners have been notified! If you haven't been notified sorry, you're not a contest winner.
Has anyone from this thread been notified? :ohdear: The suspense is killing me.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

KoB posted:

48?

12 trolls
12 Ancestors
4 Kids
4 Guardians
+?

Well, just for the variants of each set of players, we've glimpsed:

A1?: 2, alt-Condesce and alt-Mindfang
A2: full set of 24
B1: full set of 8
B2: 6, everyone except Dave and Rose
C?: 1, just UU.

That's 41 already. There are more that we know of, and there are well-defined characters that aren't players. This is also not counting extra duplicates like beta timeline versions and sprites.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 29, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Of all of the dead A1 trolls, kidCondesce is probably the most satisfied with the results of their scratch. Look at how smug she is!

Also, I get the impression that we're seeing that mysterious pink moon of Alternia for the first time here.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
If "Witc)(ing )(our" didn't make the cut, there better be some way for me to buy that track real soon here

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Oh poo poo she has a pierced eyebrow. That's loving awesome.

Teenage Rebel Ferfei doesn't give a poo poo what you think about her sweet eyebrow piercing DAD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snollygoster posted:

If "Witc)(ing )(our" didn't make the cut, there better be some way for me to buy that track real soon here
I can see it fitting a flash detailing kidCondesce's life story or something. Sinister looking little lass.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Evil Mastermind posted:

What does it mean?

SHE IS A FILTHY HEATHEN :black101:

Or Suffererism is the heathen religion 'round those parts. Seeing as she's the empress or empress-to-be.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 29, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know it just dawned on me that the "ancestors" are actually the genetic children of the trolls we're familiar with.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You know it just dawned on me that the "ancestors" are actually the genetic children of the trolls we're familiar with.

I read some where, probably on the MSPA wiki while I was brushing up on my knowledge of the ancestors, that all 24 trolls are ectoclones of themselves and there's not necessarily any mixing involved. Not sure what the source for that one was though.

Previously, I was privvy to the idea that one batch of trolls was mixed into one incestuous ecto-slurry and that's how we have the other batch, since that more closely matches troll reproduction anyway.

EDIT: But then the ancestors wouldn't be near-identical to their counterpart descendants! I'm confused now.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 29, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Thing is, we still don't know the details of the troll ectobiology session, only that Karkat made a second set of 12 grubs at some point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Another new dead troll, huh?

I'm more interested in where exactly this is taking place. A dream bubble, sure, but what's the environment being dreamed of? The pink Alternian moon? Alternia itself? One of the planets in the Medium?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When Vriska talked about Ancestors with John, she mentioned that while a slurry is involved, the almost-mythical title 'Ancestor' is given to a troll that supposedly contributes the majority of the DNA to that troll.

So they're closer to clones of each other than anything else. Maybe the closest human analogue is identical twins, who have the same DNA, but different fingerprints and personalities?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Not-Feferi has Demoness's locks and doesn't live underwater. Not-Vriska has Redglare's hair and likes fashion.

I'm stumped. But I think we can clearly rule out "kid Mindfang" as being Not-Vriska. This is all something else. May not even be people related to the trolls except through coincidence.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Theory: The dead God Tier Knight of Blood we saw was not-Karkat. Right now not-Vriska seems nice (unlike Mindfang/Vriska) and not-Feferi seems sinister (unlike Feferi), so what if not-Karkat was the perfect leader, and the first of his group to reach God Tier, like John was?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
^^^^
I thought of that, but I dunno. Unlike these others he didn't have weird different hair, as I recall.

I think we can be pretty sure that both batches of trolls were made by paradox cloning Karkat and his gang twice - if maybe with some slight mutations for the second batch - because we know the machinery has a viewport and Karkat didn't believe in the whole ancestors thing. Seeing them all on the screen would probably have had some sort of effect on him. (Or maybe not. I suppose if anyone could be stubborn enough to just ignore it, it's him.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lady of the Beech posted:

I read some where, probably on the MSPA wiki while I was brushing up on my knowledge of the ancestors, that all 24 trolls are ectoclones of themselves and there's not necessarily any mixing involved. Not sure what the source for that one was though.

Previously, I was privvy to the idea that one batch of trolls was mixed into one incestuous ecto-slurry and that's how we have the other batch, since that more closely matches troll reproduction anyway.

EDIT: But then the ancestors wouldn't be near-identical to their counterpart descendants! I'm confused now.

It isn't online anymore, though there is an archive out there on the MSPA forums, but back when the ancestor thing was first happening people asked about them. I seem to recall Hussie pretty much outright stated that the ancestors are either genetically identical to their descendant trolls, or so close that it makes no difference.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Van Kraken posted:

Has anyone from this thread been notified? :ohdear: The suspense is killing me.

I'm going to take a wild guess here that they've been asked to sit on it and shut up until the album is actually released to preserve the surprise.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't think it's going to be as simple as 'opposite personalities'.

Jane has been a lot like Nanna (What little we saw), but they're different people because they were raised differently.

A1-Mindfang? is very different from A2-Mindfang, but remember that A2-Alternia is a very different place, between Doc Scratch guiding the trolls, and filling their world with dangerous beasts and the Handmaiden traveling through time, being a crazy evil lady to the Troll race.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Fortis posted:

Theory: The dead God Tier Knight of Blood we saw was not-Karkat. Right now not-Vriska seems nice (unlike Mindfang/Vriska) and not-Feferi seems sinister (unlike Feferi), so what if not-Karkat was the perfect leader, and the first of his group to reach God Tier, like John was?

The merchandise page for the god-tier hoodies lists Blood as being "worn by Karkat, the Knight of Blood", compared to "the ??? of ???" like the unused designs.

What kind of story is this where merchandise can factor into speculation about plot twists? Seriously now.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Another thing. I was thinking lately about how the humans are different from the trolls, and yet so similar, and then remembered that the twelve created this universe. Since Skaia is supposed to be the center of creative potential or something like that, it makes me wonder if the world they created is supposed to reflect their creativities. This would explain not only the improbable similarities between the two worlds (speaking the same language, technology that is compatible with each other, being humanoid, etc), but also the differences.

For example, Karkat is disgusted by the blood color hierarchy, so naturally the world they create has no blood color hierarchy at all because everybody has the same blood color, which happens to be very similar to Karkat's. (But instead, our world builds a hierarchy on other things, so go figure).

And Feferi said that if she were to become Empress, she would do away with the brutalities of troll culture. In this vein, the trolls have complimented and ridiculed the humans for having some of the positive qualities that Feferi wants.

You guys think I might be going somewhere with this thought experiment?

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 29, 2012

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Miracon posted:

The merchandise page for the god-tier hoodies lists Blood as being "worn by Karkat, the Knight of Blood", compared to "the ??? of ???" like the unused designs.

What kind of story is this where merchandise can factor into speculation about plot twists? Seriously now.

It was worn by Karkat. The dead one in [S] Roxy:Sleepwalk

KoB
May 1, 2009

Miracon posted:

If it did, it doesnt say that any more.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pastrymancy posted:

It was worn by Karkat. The dead one in [S] Roxy:Sleepwalk

Which would suggest that that dead person we saw is Karkat, and not his A1 Ancestor-player, as is the running theory.

But I wouldn't take that as definitive evidence. True, he has the same hair as Karkat, but it's still possible he's the ancestor. I guess we should wait and see.

Edit ^^^^If he changed it, that suggests rather the inverse, that he's changed his mind and that might be the ancestor rather than Karkat after all. Possibly. Maybe. Dunno.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Evil Mastermind posted:

What does it mean?
also her eyebrow piercing looks a whole lot like Tavros's symbol :aaaaa:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

snucks posted:

also her eyebrow piercing looks a whole lot like Tavros's symbol :aaaaa:

Just because its two rings next to each other. Wait until another one of these guys shows up wearing Tavro's symbol and hair but Vriska's clothes.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

what. Now with each update I just get more and more :psyduck: at the B2 kids' situation. And re:karkatchat, I just thought that what we saw in Sleepwalk was just a glimpse of Nepeta and Karkat having a dreambubble date ala Beta!John and Vriska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Apparently softowl on tumblr, Hussie's girlfriend, has said those are supposed to be braids, not rat tails, which makes a lot of sense to me. And explains where her hair went.

Unsurprisingly, tumblr being tumblr, people immediately gave her poo poo for it :sigh: