Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

Roymega posted:

if that's your depiction of the rap scene then I feel very sorry/bad for you

ehh it's not really a "depiction of the rap scene" so much as shorthand for Drake's involvement with it. I think what he's saying is valid; more so than most genres rap is all about collaboration and Death Grips haven't engaged with the wider community at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Baron Patsy posted:

lmao hopsin

If this gets the kids into danny brown, french, and hopsin then it's worth it.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
Once again xxl proves how much they know about current hip hop

Theres a couple dudes on there that are dope, tho French Montana has been around for a long time, I don't think you could consider him a freshman. Also if you like Hopsin then kill yourself, dude is beyond awful. He's got that middle school marshall mathers ICP vibe

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

juicy_J posted:

Also if you like Hopsin then kill yourself, dude is beyond awful. He's got that middle school marshall mathers ICP vibe

I just cannot understand the concept that people actually listen to him unironically. Like, I can't even wrap my head around it.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Griff M. posted:

I just cannot understand the concept that people actually listen to him unironically. Like, I can't even wrap my head around it.

Same with tech nine, that whole facepaint & contact lens rap is so embarrassingly bad I don't understand all the accolades they get. It's the rap equivalent to Korn or Slipknot

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

farmtrill posted:

cmon, really? drake collabs with loads of rap dudes, he is part of the scene/culture. deathgrips arent part of that world is all im saying, they are a band with a dude rapping in it. they arent out smoking blunts with lil wayne and doing songs with waka

I get you, I just think "blackjack" has more in common with 2pac than something like "take care". Rap game.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There are as many white people on this year's cover as all other years combined!

Who the gently caress is Macklemore? Is he popular somewhere?

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

If this gets the kids into danny brown, french, and hopsin then it's worth it.

I just realized Yelawolf listened to some Das Racist while making "Everything I Love the Most."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghsv6xWJRQ

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCukmO4fhg

I'm sure they only did it ironically.

Nacho Picasso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RThPd_gZjCw

dude you're hilarious keep it up

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The best rapper on that list is future. LET THEM BIRDS TAKE A BATHHHH

edit: and they come out cleeeean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8CIkNqE6Q

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Who the gently caress is Macklemore? Is he popular somewhere?

He's a Seattle based rapper best known for a song he made about baseball/one of our local celebrity baseball announcers Dave Niehaus (RIP). He's sorta known in Seattle cause of that song cause we all loved Dave but he's not really big or anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNQWQSwmow

He's not really bad or anything just pretty plain. Anyone from Seattle gets a nostalgia smile watching that video though

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I had never listened to him before today, are all his songs about serious nostalgic poo poo trying to pull on your heartstrings? Probably the least fun music I've ever listened to. God even his videos are all shot at sunset. Dude probably can never get drunk because he pours every drink he has out for some sad poo poo that happened 20 years ago.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
I can't wait to find out what happened to ringtone rap.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I was hoping to see some Action Bronson. I just listened to Well Done, and its a really dope album.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Griff M. posted:

Is he the dude with the chainsaw? if so I already hate him.

Also today I learned ASAP Rocky dates Iggy Azeila. What a bummer to have your girlfriend beat you to the XXL cover.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.
Lotta haters here. Is how a person dresses or paints themselves that much of a reason to knock someone? I actually just heard Hopsin a few days ago and dude can spit. I think one of his main problems is the production, his beats are samey and have the same 'dark, evil, twisted' sound to them. If you put him over some different beats I bet he would sound more appealing.

Tech is definitely talented and is also an awesome dude, puts on amazing live shows and comes through with some sick production, too. I feel like I'm the only one who can't give a gently caress less how they put themselves out there.

I KNOW there are some Wayne fans in here, and I feel that he has them same aesthetic as Tech for the most part, and the same type of fans. Does that change your mind about him? I don't care enough about any of these dudes to truly defend them, but I just don't understand it. This, coming from a guy that likes both Slipknot and Korn as well as poo poo like Gucci and Rocky.

Slackerish posted:

Also today I learned ASAP Rocky dates Iggy Azeila. What a bummer to have your girlfriend beat you to the XXL cover.

No, he's the guy behind him with the pipe lookin' thing.

edit: fixing

warzero. fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 28, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Slackerish posted:

Naw that's Machine Gun Kelly (who also isn't very good). Hopsin has the brick and was getting buzz for this thing for trying to start poo poo with OF.

warzero: I like dark, evil and twisted poo poo, it just feels really forced when done by Hopsin and to a lesser event tech.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Bulging Nipples posted:

He's not really bad or anything just pretty plain. Anyone from Seattle gets a nostalgia smile watching that video though

There's not enough semaphore in rap

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

warzero. posted:

Lotta haters here. Is how a person dresses or paints themselves that much of a reason to knock someone? I actually just heard Hopsin a few days ago and dude can spit. I think one of his main problems is the production, his beats are samey and have the same 'dark, evil, twisted' sound to them. If you put him over some different beats I bet he would sound more appealing.

Tech is definitely talented and is also an awesome dude, puts on amazing live shows and comes through with some sick production, too. I feel like I'm the only one who can't give a gently caress less how they put themselves out there.

I KNOW there are some Wayne fans in here, and I feel that he has them same aesthetic as Tech for the most part, and the same type of fans. Does that change your mind about him? I don't care enough about any of these dudes to truly defend them, but I just don't understand it. This, coming from a guy that likes both Slipknot and Korn as well as poo poo like Gucci and Rocky.

No, he's the guy behind him with the pipe lookin' thing.

edit: fixing

no shots, but you just proved my point. Korn and Slipknot fans WOULD love hopsin and tech nine

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Slackerish posted:

ASAP was offered the XXL cover but turned it down for some reason.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I used to do shows w/Macklemore like 5 years ago, surprised to see him up there but stoked for him.

Just heard the original song that "oh boy" sampled and I just got tickets to see Big K.R.I.T. on Thursday, biatch.

Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 2007
lots of people talk and few of them know

Bulging Nipples posted:

He's a Seattle based rapper best known for a song he made about baseball/one of our local celebrity baseball announcers Dave Niehaus (RIP). He's sorta known in Seattle cause of that song cause we all loved Dave but he's not really big or anything

Yeah I know what you mean. I do think this is pretty good song though. Beat is catchy as hell. http://soundcloud.com/macklemore/macklemore-x-ryan-lewis-cant

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

juicy_J posted:

no shots, but you just proved my point. Korn and Slipknot fans WOULD love hopsin and tech nine

Yeah but I'm not just some dude that loves Slipknot and Korn and just so happens to like Tech or Hopsin. I don't wanna toot my own horn but I'm pretty educated and up to date on both hip hop and metal (theyre my fav genres). I just honestly don't see anything wrong with em'. Tech kinda wastes his talent with having nothing to say, while Hopsin can spit but also just bitches about not being famous all the time over ICP sounding beats. Give Tech some inspiration (lyrically) and Hopsin some dope production and I think both could be way better, facepaint and contacts be damned.

edit: To clarify, I'm one of the dudes that in the middle between loving the wordplay and technical aspects of hip hop and just listening to the whole thing as one piece. That's why I feel like these dudes aren't bad at all. Looking at Tech, dude definitely knows how to crank out bangers and for Hopsin, his wordplay is dope if it wasn't always about the same poo poo and over corny beats.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

warzero. posted:

edit: To clarify, I'm one of the dudes that in the middle between loving the wordplay and technical aspects of hip hop and just listening to the whole thing as one piece. That's why I feel like these dudes aren't bad at all. Looking at Tech, dude definitely knows how to crank out bangers and for Hopsin, his wordplay is dope if it wasn't always about the same poo poo and over corny beats.

see, i haven't seen any sound demonstration of either of these things. tech and hopsin are both really good at double-time poo poo but i have never heard anything from either of them that didn't just sound like a hollow technical exercise.

this is, to me, the epitome of nagl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bULBnef6w6k

dude's relying on his eminem-derivative flow and jokes to make an impact, but he hasn't done anything to make that flow interesting or unique and his jokes are (somehow) even more immature and unfunny than em's. he can rap really fast but there's no complexity or linguistic depth there. his lines are weak as gently caress. that video is loving embarrassing and i think it's one of his better tracks from what i've heard. like, this poo poo is somehow even worse, and it was the lead single off of his latest album.

Baron Patsy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 29, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The best part of the XXL list is Noz's response, this year is no exception. I wonder if the XXL-Interscope ties are the reason A$AP Rocky didn't agree; Warner did waste invest a lot of money in him.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I don't know who is supposed to be on that list but they def scraping the barrel this year...

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

thunderthief posted:

Just heard the original song that "oh boy" sampled and I just got tickets to see Big K.R.I.T. on Thursday, biatch.

Apparently Big K.R.I.T. and J. Cole are supposed to do a show at my university but I can't find ticket information anywhere :(.

Also listened to Hopsin, holy poo poo that was awful. Dude has an ok flow but his lyrics are poo poo. Like, worse than ICP.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

snyprmag posted:

The best part of the XXL list is Noz's response, this year is no exception. I wonder if the XXL-Interscope ties are the reason A$AP Rocky didn't agree; Warner did waste invest a lot of money in him.

quote:

Hopsin
Bio: Like Tyler, The Creator, but with none of the nuance or taste.

You know, all the nuance and taste.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

snyprmag posted:

Hahaha can I see the commentary on last year's list?

Also that was my first taste of Iggy Azeila and I hate to say it but...I kind of dug it. It had a nice beat.

And didn't ASAP make like, $3 million from his label?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

chopper city posted:

You know, all the nuance and taste.

That's the joke.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I love hiphop and music but that whole list is eh.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
The new Don Trip mixtape is pretty decent. I'll cosign him and maintain a soft spot for Roscoe Dash but yeah otherwise lol.

Also reading a new post on coke blunts (2 in 1 month!) I checked noz's twitter feed and found this:

and yeah, that's pretty much right.

In addition to hating on a great Dro line, here's the intro to the piece:

quote:

I’m a big fan of hip hop. (But really, what middle-class, sheltered, suburban white kid isn’t?) It’s an amazing, incredibly versatile genre. To briefly give myself some cred (lol), some of my favorite artists include Atmosphere, Brother Ali, and Murs. Now that you all know I’m extremely cultured and have incredibly good taste when it comes to rap, I feel I speak with some authority on the lyrics that have most spectacularly missed the mark in terms of rhyme scheme, content, and general literacy. Here, in no particular order, the wordsmiths and their craft that should probably not get their rapper license renewed this year.

The only other actual rap verses in her top ten are from Gucci and Lil Wyte, both of whom I will always stan for, so t:mad:> random white girl!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Atmosphere, Murs, and Brother Ali. In fact, the minute I hear Murs, I've started tuning out someone's opinion.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

temple posted:

Atmosphere, Murs, and Brother Ali. In fact, the minute I hear Murs, I've started tuning out someone's opinion.

Murs sucks but his poo poo with Felt is good. Felt 2 is an awesome album and if Atmosphere rapped more like that than I'd probably respect him a lot more.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I can't believe she starts it out like "I'm a big fan of hip hop" and then lists off Slug, MURS and Brother Ali as her top three rappers.

Usually when you tell people your favorite rapper is Slug you preface it with "I don't like rap at all, but..."

that is a list of the worst rap lyrics according to a terrible white girl who doesn't like rap.

Also how you gonna put Flocka's verse from No Hands on there?! That's like his best verse on Flockaveli

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

juicy_J posted:

Once again xxl proves how much they know about current hip hop

Theres a couple dudes on there that are dope, tho French Montana has been around for a long time, I don't think you could consider him a freshman. Also if you like Hopsin then kill yourself, dude is beyond awful. He's got that middle school marshall mathers ICP vibe

Yeah that's what's so great. Eminem is to Christopher Reeve as Hopsin is to Easy E's wife.

Baron Patsy posted:

dude you're hilarious keep it up

seriously what's wrong with Nacho?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKnwhovmaE

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 29, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not white or one of those pretentious dudes who starts with "I don't like rap at all but..." or "I listen to real intellectual conscious rap!".
I was a little kid raised on Ice Cube and NWA albums (probably not a good thing for my development) and I really dig rappers like Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, and Murs (him specifically not as much but he has a couple songs I enjoy).
Sage Francis and Tech not so much anymore at all, though I did enjoy them during my teen years.

Plus I thought that one song off the last mostly lovely Sage album was pretty cool-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8hzUDXvtk&ob=av2e

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 29, 2012

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Dazed and Confused posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. I do think this is pretty good song though. Beat is catchy as hell. http://soundcloud.com/macklemore/macklemore-x-ryan-lewis-cant

I will say one positive thing about Macklemore, he always sounds/looks SO loving HAPPY to be rapping

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Slackerish posted:

Also that was my first taste of Iggy Azeila and I hate to say it but...I kind of dug it. It had a nice beat.

That beat's from a Kendrick track.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eT6TaEtPI
Which is actually from a..... Childish Gambino track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npTqyATr65M

She's not bad though.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Slackerish posted:

Apparently Big K.R.I.T. and J. Cole are supposed to do a show at my university but I can't find ticket information anywhere :(.

seeing his album release thursday in manhattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

farmtrill posted:

you know exactly what i mean so get off your high horse fight music guy, wayne and waka are 2 relevant cultural signifiers i used as an example, to properly define the 'rap game' is going to be an essay long post.

we can all sit here and pretend that anything with a rap in it automatically makes it part of the 'rap game' but that would make for some confusing admissions. for example limp bizkit have a much more solid claim to being part of the rap game than death grips do, they are signed to cash money and have collabed with quite a few rap dudes, hell, fred durst has even rapped over a premo beat.

is saul williams part of the rap game? is kid rock part of the rap game? do blondie get a pass because of that one cars n bars n stars song? does anyone care? what does the 'rap game' mean to you?

While I agree I still say just because you're in the "game" doesn't mean you're a "player".. You think these guys are sitting around arguing about what genre their music falls into? gently caress no

• Locked thread