Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zahn can write about Abeloth and still make it entertaining

I really wish they'd give Zahn free reign to just poke his nose into whatever era he wants and clean-up random crap like he did in the Hand of Thrawn duology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was at Blockbuster earlier looking for something to rent, and I couldn't really find anything else I wanted to see/play, so I picked up A New Hope on Blu Ray just to see the quality of the transfer.

So far, it actually looks pretty fantastic. The one scene so far that was added in the special edition looked weird and out of place, obviously, and the sound mix sounds clearer at times than it does at others, so that's pretty weird.

But as far as picture quality, this is the best I've ever seen ANH look. Pretty interested to rent Empire / Return Of The Jedi next and see how those fair against this one.

Oh god, you guys hate me, don't you? :ohdear:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think most of the posters here would agree with you. As much as I enjoy bitching about the changes, the blu-rays look loving gorgeous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm pretty sure I could never bring myself to buy them, though, as long as the loving abomination that is Jedi Rocks remains in RotJ.

Edit: Why am I just now noticing that Han has almost the EXACT SAME CONVERSATION with Jabba near the Millenium Falcon as he does with Greedo in the Cantina just a couple minutes earlier? The lines of dialogue are almost completely unchanged. I've seen this movie more times than I can count, but I never picked up on that until now :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 25, 2012

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god, you guys hate me, don't you? :ohdear:

Well, your money went to Blockbuster and not directly to Lucas, so I don't see the harm.

Also, the reason the dialogue is the same in the two scenes is because the Greedo dialogue was supposed to cover up the exposition in the missing Jabba scene. Then they put it in, rendering the Greedo scene redundant, except to show that Han is a badass. Then they made Greedo shoot first, thus rendering it completely redundant.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Empire Blu Ray looks pretty loving stellar as expected. This has always been my favorite of the originals, and my favorite aesthetically too. Glad to see it got such a beautiful transfer.

The Blu Rays aren't being sold individually, are they? If so, I'd just buy Empire and say gently caress the rest.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
OK,this is awesome:

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/02/22/the-voice-of-admiral-ackbar-speaks/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Yeah, it is. Ever since I was a kid, I always, always LOVED Admiral Ackbar, well before he became an Internet joke thing. gently caress Boba Fett, Wedge and Ackbar are the best minor Star Wars characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
EU authors also had the decency to give Ackbar a quiet death before he could be used by some hack to fight Vong or orgy bugs or emo Jacen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

EU authors also had the decency to give Ackbar a quiet death before he could be used by some hack to fight Vong or orgy bugs or emo Jacen.

He did fight the Vong, though. It was in one of the later books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Not really, he popped in, gave a blinding flash of the obvious, then popped out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

arioch posted:

Not really, he popped in, gave a blinding flash of the obvious, then popped out.

"Just fight them you morons!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

At least he got to win decisively against them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That Zahn book sounds really awesome...I too, am excited.

Now if only they would allow him to do anniversary editions of the Dark Force Rising and The Last Command like he did with Heir to the Empire.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Boondock Saint posted:

That Zahn book sounds really awesome...I too, am excited.

Now if only they would allow him to do anniversary editions of the Dark Force Rising and The Last Command like he did with Heir to the Empire.

Yeah this part really sucks. Apparently they did not sell well enough. That does kind of make sense seeing as a lot of people here have bought them at least three times.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timothy Zahn posted a link on facebook, to someone's suggested viewing order for Star Wars. It starts as something that's been mentioned before here (IV, V, then go back to the prequel trilogy, then finish out with VI), but goes a step further and completely removes Episode I. He does a really good job explaining why this actually makes the series, and the surprises throughout, work much better. Worth a read.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That was a great analysis, and it solves the dilemma I was having over how best to introduce the Star Wars movies to someone (assuming they actually wanted to see the prequels also). I might actually try watching them in this order sometime myself.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So the first spoilers from Apocalypse are coming out...some choice developments, spoilered just in case anyone here actually cares:

Remember the Father, Son, and Daughter who controlled the Force from those Clone Wars episodes? Apparently Abeloth is their "Mother" and is trying to turn Luke, Ben, and Ben's Sith girlfriend into new versions of Father/Son/Daughter. Also apparently Yoda told Luke all about those guys during his ESB training, and Luke sends some Jedi to their planet to get the Son's dagger to kill Abeloth with.

Also at one point Luke meets up with Darth Krayt, who gives Luke advice on how to fight Abeloth, and apparently it's retconned that somehow Jacen became a Sith in order to fight Krayt because somehow he was tricked that Luke was Krayt or something stupid and convoluted like that. Also I think Luke meeting Krayt completely goes against Legacy's backstory but then again Denning.

My favorite bit, the book ends with Jag and Daala running against each other in an election for Emperor/Empress.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
From that article:

quote:

Then, he force chokes Jabba’s guards, some­thing only Vader has done in the series! Nobody else sees him do this.

I just had the biggest " :aaa: holy poo poo how have I never noticed that before" moment.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Chairman Capone posted:

So the first spoilers from Apocalypse are coming out...some choice developments, spoilered just in case anyone here actually cares:

Remember the Father, Son, and Daughter who controlled the Force from those Clone Wars episodes? Apparently Abeloth is their "Mother" and is trying to turn Luke, Ben, and Ben's Sith girlfriend into new versions of Father/Son/Daughter. Also apparently Yoda told Luke all about those guys during his ESB training, and Luke sends some Jedi to their planet to get the Son's dagger to kill Abeloth with.

Also at one point Luke meets up with Darth Krayt, who gives Luke advice on how to fight Abeloth, and apparently it's retconned that somehow Jacen became a Sith in order to fight Krayt because somehow he was tricked that Luke was Krayt or something stupid and convoluted like that. Also I think Luke meeting Krayt completely goes against Legacy's backstory but then again Denning.

My favorite bit, the book ends with Jag and Daala running against each other in an election for Emperor/Empress.

Maybe I'm just broken after putting up with the EU for all these years, but this honestly makes a lot more sense to me than "ridiculously powerful force user who has just been chillin' in the Maw for millenia and only just now decided to make a break for it."

As for the Darth Krayt angle. I saw that one coming. At least Jacen's involvement with him at least. And as soon as the "journey across the galaxy to retrace Jacen's steps" thing started I figured Luke would probably run into The One Sith at some point. So called that too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Remember the Father, Son, and Daughter who controlled the Force from those Clone Wars episodes? Apparently Abeloth is their "Mother" and is trying to turn Luke, Ben, and Ben's Sith girlfriend into new versions of Father/Son/Daughter.

I don't want to watch some terrible loving Clone Wars episode just to understand what's been going on in your terrible goddamn 9-book series. Seriously, gently caress you Denning.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What gets me is, they started planning Fate of the Jedi in 2007/8, the first books were published in 2009, and yet the whole Clone Wars Force planet episodes didn't even air until 2011, at which point 2/3 of the FOTJ books had already been published.

Even if the authors had had some early information from the TV show I can't imagine it was that early. This is basically confirmation that they literally went into this book series without an ending in mind. Either that, or the ending they had was so vague they could just throw it out and incorporate this new stuff without messing up their series any more than its bad writing had already messed it up.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't want to watch some terrible loving Clone Wars episode just to understand what's been going on in your terrible goddamn 9-book series. Seriously, gently caress you Denning.

Basically, Father, Son, and Daughter were these ageless Force gods living at the edge of the Galaxy. The Daughter represents the Light Side, the Son represents the Dark Side, and the Father kept the balance. The Father was gonna die and wanted Anakin (the Chosen One) to replace him. Anakin said no, a bunch of stuff happened, blah blah blah they all died and I can't believe this information is taking up valuable space in my brain I MUST GET IT OUT :suicide:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Basically, Father, Son, and Daughter were these ageless Force gods living at the edge of the Galaxy. The Daughter represents the Light Side, the Son represents the Dark Side, and the Father kept the balance. The Father was gonna die and wanted Anakin (the Chosen One) to replace him. Anakin said no, a bunch of stuff happened, blah blah blah they all died and I can't believe this information is taking up valuable space in my brain I MUST GET IT OUT :suicide:

Holy poo poo, just when you think Star Wars can't get any dumber. :negative:

At least there's a Zahn book coming out which will own hard and actually have a coherent plot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VaultAggie posted:

Holy poo poo, just when you think Star Wars can't get any dumber. :negative:

At least there's a Zahn book coming out which will own hard and actually have a coherent plot.

*Insert a bunch of retard tripe talking up Clone Wars as like OT Star Wars again*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's exceptionally stupid, even for the EU. I don't think I'm going to bother with Apocalypse unless someone big dies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Read like half of those spoilers, what a bunch of spurious bullshit. There's probably been more linking/borrowing from other stories in 9 books, than the entire NJO.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's exceptionally stupid, even for the EU. I don't think I'm going to bother with Apocalypse unless someone big dies.

It's not even the EU, it's Official Star Wars Canon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, it's probably no big surprise that that stuff came from Lucas. I'm just surprised midi-chlorians weren't also involved.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So according to wookiepedia, an old friend returns for the final book of the FotJ series. The Killiks are back!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

arioch posted:

It's not even the EU, it's Official Star Wars Canon.

Like hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bug orgies for everybody!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Timothy Zahn posted a link on facebook, to someone's suggested viewing order for Star Wars. It starts as something that's been mentioned before here (IV, V, then go back to the prequel trilogy, then finish out with VI), but goes a step further and completely removes Episode I. He does a really good job explaining why this actually makes the series, and the surprises throughout, work much better. Worth a read.

This was definitely worth the read.

My wife's never really seen the films so I think I'll go this route when she's finally ready to sit down and watch them.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
The woman and I picked up the blu-rays and a player a few days ago. So far we've made it through IV and V. I think we're going to watch it in the order mentioned previously. Sounds interesting.

So why has nobody mentioned that the menus on the blu-rays are atrocious? The bonus discs with the deleted scenes are the worst offenders. Instead of sorting stuff out by type of feature, they sort it by movie, then setting (like hoth or tatooine), then finally by feature. This is also my first experience with blu-rays, and I was really never aware that everything takes for-loving-ever to load. That compounded with the convoluted menus makes everything way more tedious than it should be.

That said, the films themselves look pretty great. The whole color correction/timing bullshit still kills me though. Send me the freaking negatives. I'll rotoscope that poo poo.

"Aww gently caress yeah, they fixed that lightsaber color! Oh wait, I guess not?"

On another note, is there any word on the next celebration? I missed V when it was in Indy and haven't had a chance to go back since I've been stuck in Ohio. I'm all grown up now and can do poo poo like buy plane tickets. I want to give Anthony Daniels $20 so that he can look upon me with disdain.

*edit*
Just answered my own question. loving Florida. Nope.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 2, 2012

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So I think this guy makes an interesting point; I don't agree with everything he says though, homogeneizing the fans a bit too much for starters, the title seems chosen for shock value, but well:

I'm not sure we can isolate Star Wars from the rest of the Lucassphere this easily, however...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So Simon Pegg is now the official voice of Dengar.

Which leaves me to ask, a: why Dengar? and b: why not make your own dude Simon?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's awesome that Pegg's gonna be on Clone Wars, but are they seriously just gonna cram every single character from the entire expanded universe into that show?

I wonder who's gonna play Wuher.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

This is pretty interesting. I like his reasoning, and I might try watching the films in that order at some point. Still, one issue that stands out is the line in Episode II, where one character mentions that Nute Gunray has been put on trial several times without being removed from his position as leader of the Trade Federation. Wouldn't the exclusion of Episode I potentially make the meaning of this line a trifle obscure?

Phylodox posted:

It's awesome that Pegg's gonna be on Clone Wars, but are they seriously just gonna cram every single character from the entire expanded universe into that show?

I was wondering about the use of Dengar. I thought he was meant to be only a few years older than Han Solo, and that he didn't become a bounty hunter until after the Empire took over.

No doubt Wookieepedia will engage in some desperate form of damage control to reconcile the inconsistencies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I wonder who's gonna play Wuher.

Bartender from ANH, right? Oh god why did I know that without looking it up... :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Bartender from ANH, right? Oh god why did I know that without looking it up... :smithicide:

Know whats sad?

I know he hates droids but found a special booze making one and used Greedos corpse to turn into the perfect corpse wine Hutts love.