Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This came with a picture of World Trade Center in flames

Ugh this email has the same intro paragraph like 5 loving times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This just in, Muslims believe in Nirvana.

We brought them from The Stone Age to 1992 I guess. USA USA USA.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Whenever I see that "Only 1 2 5 defining forces have offered to die for you" crap, I respond with a link to this religious blog entry that very soundly and definitively asks why the hell these people are comparing soldiers with Jesus Christ: http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2011/03/17/this-is-the-son-of-god-these-are-men-in-uniform-don%E2%80%99t-confuse-the-two/. Among other things, the blog points out that plenty of people are ready to die for you:

quote:

If I were ever trapped in a burning building or under an earthquake-flattened one, or were caught in a flood, or fell over a ledge while hiking, I am 100% certain that there are men and women in my community who would offer to give their lives in the attempt to save mine. I worked for the Clark County [Nev.] Fire Department for a couple of years — it’s the only job I’ve ever had where my starry-eyed admiration for heroes grew stronger instead of fading through familiarity. Those men (they were all men in the ’70s) would help a stranger with no questions asked, at the risk of their own lives. That’s what I think of whenever I hear a siren in the distance: Someone is in trouble, and someone else is rushing to help.

The epidemiologists who lock themselves into sealed rooms with deadly viruses and toxins in the quest to understand and conquer them are offering to die for me. The storm chasers and volcanologists who deliberately head into the most dangerous spots on earth in the pursuit of knowledge that will protect future generations are offering to die for me. The drug enforcement agents who investigate reports of marijuana fields in our national parks are offering to die for me. The highway patrolman who stands unprotected next to speeding traffic while he checks out a suspected drunk driver is offering to die for me.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Also, aren't Islamic terrorists offering to die for their people? The offer doesn't immediately make what your doing "good", nor do only the "good guys" make the offer. But maybe my problem is seeing terrorists as human beings who have parents, siblings, children, etc; instead I guess I should view them as some mixture of disposable movie and video game villians.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If Muslims believe in Nirvana, I guess those fundamentalists want to bring us back to the days of Mother Love Bone and those drat Baptists want to make us all listen to Creed :argh:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

One Pissed off Canadian Housewife
This is very good PLEASE read....

Thought you might like to read this letter
to the editor. Ever notice how some people
just seem to know how to write a letter?

This one surely does!

This was written by a Canadian woman, but oh how
it also applies to the U.S.A., U.K. and Australia .

THIS ONE PACKS A FIRM PUNCH

Written by a housewife in New Brunswick , to
her local newspaper. This is one ticked off lady...
Ever notice how some people just seem to know how to write an intro?

This one surely doesn't!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sarion posted:

Also, aren't Islamic terrorists offering to die for their people? The offer doesn't immediately make what your doing "good", nor do only the "good guys" make the offer. But maybe my problem is seeing terrorists as human beings who have parents, siblings, children, etc; instead I guess I should view them as some mixture of disposable movie and video game villians.

Mahmoud Darwish said this about Palestinian suicide bombers, but it applies to all of them in general I think: "We have to understand - not justify - what gives rise to this tragedy. It's not because they're looking for beautiful virgins in heaven, as Orientalists portray it. Palestinian people are in love with life. If we give them hope - a political solution - they'll stop killing themselves."

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

babies havin rabies posted:

Isn't there quite a bit of difference between a point-of-sales tax and a value-added tax from the consumer's perspective? On second though, maybe there isn't when you consider most of those costs would be pushed directly onto the consumer in either case.
That's the idea. As far as I can tell the only real difference between sales tax and VAT is the taxation mechanism. VAT taxes every piece of "value added" during the production chain separately, and each stage passes the costs forward. It's harder to evade than a sales tax but requires more rigorous bookkeeping from the businesses and the taxman.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
My dad just forwarded me this:

"The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever. It has reached the highest level in the last two years.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals" because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves."

I'm just blown away by my father's casual racism/classism.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Unbootable posted:

"The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever. It has reached the highest level in the last two years.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals" because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves."

I'm pretty sure there are way, way more white folks on food stamps in the US then colored peoples. Just send him some statistics to that effect.

It probably won't do a lot of good, but it maybe it'll make him think. "If white people can go broke, I could too!"

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I just sent him the list off this URL as I felt it had pretty good fact checking going on:

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/02/poverty_myths_facts.html

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Unbootable posted:

This came across my Facebook feed an hour ago. When I pointed out it was equal parts
:smug: gently caress the poor.
and :byodame: poors are animals!
the guy who posted it replied that he forgot he gets lynched every time he posts something mildly conservative.
:stare: Christ, dude, what would be full bore conservative to you?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nth Doctor posted:

This came across my Facebook feed an hour ago. When I pointed out it was equal parts
the guy who posted it replied that he forgot he gets lynched every time he posts something mildly conservative.

You should be more considerate of his beliefs and stop persecuting him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It always amazes me that people think that if you just bootstraps hard enough, your problems will be solved! Those lazy fucker, the bums with Any Change Helps signs, gently caress them, they need to get a job!

I wonder if they read about the French Revolution and just laugh and think pansies, loving froggies getting their asses handed to them by the poor.

Desperation makes people do crazy things.

You pay a little now (in your taxes for food stamps) or you pay a poo poo ton later (a desperate soul decides three hots and a cot is worth it for the simple price of your mugging or life).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Did he literally use the word lynched?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Did he literally use the word lynched?
Yes, he actually said lynched.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
"The poor are animals who deserve to go without medicine if they have an unskilled job and go without food if they lose that job due to a recession. I am better than them.

Also, liberals are elitist."

Remind them, they are in the middle of a recession. There aren't enoug jobs to go around. It's not a choice between food stamps and a job, but food stamps and STARVING. All the gumption in the world won't put food on the able if there is no way to work for it. Even then, there's the fact at so many jobs aren't enough to put food on the table and pay rent and stuff.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 28, 2012

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

All the gumption I. The world won't put food on the able if there is no way to work for it. Even then, there's the fact at so many jobs aren't enough to put food on the table and pay rent and stuff.

And yet record grain production! Oh, capitalism :allears:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

I really wanted to call a guy out for posting this, but he's active duty, and even though that objectively makes it worse, there's just something that keeps me from criticizing him for living in an institution that acts as an echo chamber for this kind of thing, and for being impotently upset that his friends are dying.

I am really divided about it.

(it's still not ok, not even for him, but I can't think of a way to call him out and not look like the guy who should just let it go)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Yes, he actually said lynched.

I would say shoot him, but it'd be a waste of a bullet.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

If this a woman "who knows how to write a letter," I shudder to think what they are teaching about comma use in school.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CCrew posted:

My roommate is about as big a libertarian as you could imagine. He strongly believes in going back on the gold standard, that the fair tax would be the best thing ever, and that states rights would be beneficial to everyone. After a discussion with him, I pointed out that Austrian economics is not taught as widely (and barely at all) as Keynesian. On top of that, I pointed out the gold standard was one of the major reasons we were able to get out of the great depression, and that a flat tax would unfairly favor the wealthy. He told me he'd have a conversation with his brother (Who has a masters in economics), and let me know how he sees the situation.

Uh, where exactly did this guy go to grad school? I know high school kids who have a better grasp of economics.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Uh, where exactly did this guy go to grad school? I know high school kids who have a better grasp of economics.

The University of Chicago?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

rscott posted:

The University of Chicago?

Sounds more like George Mason.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Unbootable posted:

He didn't even get the reason you shouldn't feed wild animals, or the parent agency of the NPS right.

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I would say shoot him, but it'd be a waste of a bullet.

Well, if you actually lynched the guy, presumably you could reuse the rope after he was hanged.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Unbootable posted:

:corsair:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, last time I tried to forage for food I was arrested. I think I'm doing it wrong!

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Unbootable posted:

Well, you know there's the fact that the NPS is part of the Department of the Interior but who cares about facts.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ratbert90 posted:

Huh, last time I tried to forage for food I was arrested. I think I'm doing it wrong!

Well are you a minority because then you were looting not foraging. Honest mistake!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Toffile posted:

:corsair:

I fixed it. I'm sure someone can come up with better wording than mine though... Get to it, people.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Choadmaster posted:

I fixed it. I'm sure someone can come up with better wording than mine though... Get to it, people.

Well done. Seriously, well done. Send it to Chuck.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Well done. Seriously, well done. Send it to Chuck.

Agreed, it doesn't really require any better wording.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That's basically it. The whole point of society is to escape the horrible clutches of darwinian selection. We try not to let people starve to death or leave unfit offspring to die of exposure because we see value in people.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

That's basically it. The whole point of society is to escape the horrible clutches of darwinian selection. We try not to let people starve to death or leave unfit offspring to die of exposure because we see value in people.

I would argue that we not only see value in people but that we, as a society, receive real value from these people as a society. Even taking the most hard-hearted free market stance, it would be a horrible inefficiency to have a person who is trained in any fashion die on the street when it is so easy and cheap to feed them and continue to be in the labor pool.

But as a snide aside, if ever you see people on your walls arguing this way while at the same time claiming to be strongly Christian, please pass this along:

"Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, 'Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry, and you didn't feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn't give me a drink. I was a stranger, and you didn't invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn't give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn't visit me.' Then they will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' And he will answer, 'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'"

Anubis fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 29, 2012

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
WOW! I'll bet the ACLU will jump on this as well as NoBama's Justice Dep't.
Only 49 more states to go!!!!!!!
Hooray for Florida !
I-95 will be jammed for the next month or so...Druggies and deadbeats are now heading north out of Florida because Florida is the first state requiring drug testing to receive welfare! Hooray for Florida! In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they had better make sure that they are completely drug-free.
Applicants who test positive for illicit substances won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment.
Those who fail a second time would be banned from receiving funds for three years! Naturally, a few people are claiming that this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional ?
It's completely legal that every working person has to pass drug tests in order to get a J-O-B which supports those on welfare!
Let's get welfare back to the ones who NEED it, not those who WON'T get a JOB. I AGREE. DO YOU?

It never ends. An Ouroboros of America's lower class making GBS threads on itself.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Anubis posted:

"Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, 'Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry, and you didn't feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn't give me a drink. I was a stranger, and you didn't invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn't give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn't visit me.' Then they will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' And he will answer, 'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'"

The weirdest thing about the religious Right, to me, is the fact that the parable of the sheep and the goats exists.

Tomahawk posted:

WOW! I'll bet the ACLU will jump on this as well as NoBama's Justice Dep't.
Only 49 more states to go!!!!!!!
Hooray for Florida !
I-95 will be jammed for the next month or so...Druggies and deadbeats are now heading north out of Florida because Florida is the first state requiring drug testing to receive welfare! Hooray for Florida! In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they had better make sure that they are completely drug-free.
Applicants who test positive for illicit substances won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment.
Those who fail a second time would be banned from receiving funds for three years! Naturally, a few people are claiming that this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional ?
It's completely legal that every working person has to pass drug tests in order to get a J-O-B which supports those on welfare!
Let's get welfare back to the ones who NEED it, not those who WON'T get a JOB. I AGREE. DO YOU?

I live in Florida and this person clearly does not. A sheltered delusion-sustaining bubble located somewhere in Flordia, possibly, but they definitely don't occupy both the same state as me and the same reality.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Wait, welfare folk who fail a drug test are required to get treatment? Who pays for that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

This is so hilariously wrong.

I love the idea that making life harder and more humiliating for poor working parents is good public policy. I don't think people know welfare recipients have to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

chesh posted:

Wait, welfare folk who fail a drug test are required to get treatment? Who pays for that?

I believe the applicant does. If they pass, they get the hundreds of bucks back.

I also remember reading that the gov and/or his wife work at the testing company. So kickbacks, gently caress yes!