Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

I'm betting Jeremy comments more on how all the boys adopted Danica's "OHSHIT GONNA HIT THE WALL HANDS OFF THE WHEEL WANNA KEEP MY HANDS" reaction from last Sunday in the 500. Is that actually a thing in the open-wheel classes like she said, or was she just making it up to make her panic look better? Either way, the guys seem to have accepted her explanation. I guess it could be a thing, if you leave your arms out they might get between the car and the track in a rollover, and it's not like you're going to have any suspension left to steer with after putting the front of a champ car into something.
I think if you're going into a wall out of control the wheels are going to slam and get turned, then the steering wheel will yank no matter what you do and likely gently caress up your fingers if you're holding onto it. I saw it happen to Dennis Anderson (of Grave Digger fame) when driving a sandrail on some show, front end landed hard and he dislocated or broke a thumb when the wheel turned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Autoblog podcast this week was pretty good, they had on the cast of Top Gear US shooting the poo poo and answering questions about the show: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/autoblog-podcast-271/

Apparently Tanner drives an M3 and an F-150 Raptor. :hellyeah: Adam drives a '90 Lexus LS400.

edit: vvvv Daily drives

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 29, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He already did the Raptor though.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Delivery McGee posted:

I'm betting Jeremy comments more on how all the boys adopted Danica's "OHSHIT GONNA HIT THE WALL HANDS OFF THE WHEEL WANNA KEEP MY HANDS" reaction from last Sunday in the 500. Is that actually a thing in the open-wheel classes like she said, or was she just making it up to make her panic look better? Either way, the guys seem to have accepted her explanation. I guess it could be a thing, if you leave your arms out they might get between the car and the track in a rollover, and it's not like you're going to have any suspension left to steer with after putting the front of a champ car into something.

Yes it's a real thing, especially in open wheels. It's to prevent your hands/wrists/arms from being hosed up. Because the wheels are exposed, the impact forces on the wheels of the car can jerk the steering wheel with enough force to gently caress up your hands and wrists if you hang on to the wheel.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
You break your thumbs in severe crashes. Your arms travel forward, and your thumbs get yanked in some very difficult directions. It's not just an open wheel thing, it's an all racing thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Clarkson did this in Series 4 episode 3 doing just that, when the hosts had the 」100 Car challenge. He crashed his Volvo 760 at 30 mph, which broke his thumb.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

Toni Gardenmeiser is not the Stig

Calling it now, CT is the Stig.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

kombatMedik posted:

Clarkson did this in Series 4 episode 3 doing just that, when the hosts had the 」100 Car challenge. He crashed his Volvo 760 at 30 mph, which broke his thumb.

He was doing about 40 actually cause the speedo didn't work

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

JingleBells posted:

He was doing about 40 actually cause the speedo didn't work

I forgot about that, but you're right. The car still drove after the crash, too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Delivery McGee posted:

It wasn't all that near him. It was right on the wall, he was as low as possible. You of all people should know that poo poo tends to go pear-shaped at the worst possible time.

Yes exactly, I *know* how poo poo goes wrong. Why on earth do you think I'm having a hissy fit to such an avoidable incident? The simple fact is Montoya was going far, far too fast and it was only luck that a marshall or track worker wasnt hurt as a result and I can only ask what the hell was he thinking?

quote:

Calling it now, CT is the Stig.

Two of them are known to me and neither are my cat.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kombatMedik posted:

I forgot about that, but you're right. The car still drove after the crash, too.

I bet the other two would have, too, if they'd tried.

I thought last night's TGUS was pretty good, but waaaay too scripted. Everybody and their mother knew the first instance of the Pinto catching on fire was fake, and everybody and their mother knew it would explode at the end as they walked away from it.

I do genuinely think Rut was having trouble controlling that Corvair, that looked hilariously prone to oversteer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes exactly, I *know* how poo poo goes wrong. Why on earth do you think I'm having a hissy fit to such an avoidable incident? The simple fact is Montoya was going far, far too fast and it was only luck that a marshall or track worker wasnt hurt as a result and I can only ask what the hell was he thinking?

Two of them are known to me and neither are my cat.

Kaptain Ballistik, then. Would give them a good reason for never letting him speak.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

I bet the other two would have, too, if they'd tried.

I thought last night's TGUS was pretty good, but waaaay too scripted. Everybody and their mother knew the first instance of the Pinto catching on fire was fake, and everybody and their mother knew it would explode at the end as they walked away from it.

I do genuinely think Rut was having trouble controlling that Corvair, that looked hilariously prone to oversteer.

I enjoyed it a lot, TGUS is getting much better, apart from the I-LEARNED-THIS-JOKE-AN-HOUR-BEFORE-FILMING studio segments, they should ad lib them a bit more.

Good to see Adam get some track lessons too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
An understated-but-good episode this week, I thought. The flames coming from that 40 litre German bomber-car's exhausts were absolutely insane.

The first track-day segment went on a bit too long, but the hosts clearly having such a terrific time hooning around Sausageworld Donington pretty much made up for it. And I can't blame the audience for going "Oooooh..." en masse at the sight of that new Ferrari in the news.

Hammond and the Audi was genius too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Good god the front row was hot today. It's like they're not even trying to hide it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I know one of the front row birds. They split her up from her not as attractive friend haha.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I loved seeing the Stig drive the Morgan around the track. That was awesome to see him spin it into the finish.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I swear I saw some of the shots with the Brutus before, did Clarkson have it on one of his DVDs?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

I swear I saw some of the shots with the Brutus before, did Clarkson have it on one of his DVDs?

It was in the preview for the season, maybe that's what you're remembering.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Wish this episode was a track day special and they spent the whole episode with those cars, though I would have settled for a front row audience special based on tonight as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, "Powered Up".

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
That loving Morgan is ridiculous.

Also best Stig lap ever in that thing.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 5, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, "Powered Up".

Ah that must be where I remembered it from. The budget must really be tight this year--this is the second somewhat recycled bit. :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Residency Evil posted:

Good god the front row was hot today. It's like they're not even trying to hide it.

The one in the white top with the gigantic tits was awesome. Pity no closeup of her.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
This one?

(from the TV/IV thread)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Brutus was the most ridiculous thing.

Crazy German Man please build me one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

kombatMedik posted:

I loved seeing the Stig drive the Morgan around the track. That was awesome to see him spin it into the finish.

Stig looks so pleased with himself.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I love that Morgan. It's just so ridiculous. It's like they took everything that we find 'normal' in a car and threw it out.

Engine? external air-cooled two-cylinder!
Chassis? Wood!
Number of wheels? Three, because why not?
Sound? Spectacular!

I love it for so many reasons. Is it even rear-wheel drive?

(I also loved the Brutus/Bentleyfire thing, and really nearly everything about this episode, though I thought the SIARPC was a little lacking. It wasn't terrible, since I like Blur, but it was kind of boring)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CornHolio posted:

I love it for so many reasons. Is it even rear-wheel drive?

It did a donut, didn't it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

It did a donut, didn't it?

Against all odds, yes it did.

And I think he did say it has an MX-5 transmission. RWD it is, then.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Against all odds, yes it did.

And I think he did say it has an MX-5 transmission. RWD it is, then.

It may just had the back wheel let go from lack of traction.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's RWD.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Speaking of the Morgan. I don't know if my mind was blown more when Hammond did donuts with it, or May actually doing donuts.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

Speaking of the Morgan. I don't know if my mind was blown more when Hammond did donuts with it, or May actually doing donuts.

He has done them before, hasn't he?

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
I wish they had been able to get a working BAC Mono, all the magazines have been going nuts over that car.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Sprat Sandwich posted:

He has done them before, hasn't he?

I only remember him trying to do a burnout (elevenses) with a Cadillac STS and almost crashing in the ditch.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Im surprised they did not mention the 1931 Phantom 2. http://www.sportscarmarket.com/car-reviews/english/2455-1931-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-merlin-special

Not only does it have a real Spitfire engine in it, but its one that fought in the Battle of Britain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bdt52l1oSU
:smug:

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

I only remember him trying to do a burnout (elevenses) with a Cadillac STS and almost crashing in the ditch.

He did proper elevenses in the 」1500 Porsche challenge.

Maybe I'm misremembering the donuts thing.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
The episode was doing great until they decided to repeat the Brutus section from one of their DVD's. 2 eps in a row with recycled footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

djdanno13 posted:

That was a CTS if you're talking about the American episode where they had a CTS/Vette/Challenger.