Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

IIRC the original wild west theme in the 90s was the first appearance of guns that could be considered "realistic". Before that all they had was those blunderbuss-style muskets.

That was a great theme. I wish they'd give it another go because there were so many potentially awesome sets that never got made. The series 6 Outlaw is pretty cool and had me digging up my old cowboys, Indians, and marshalls.

Maybe I'll try to make an old train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
A gangster/mafia theme would be awesome, although I could see how it wouldn't be considered very kid-friendly. I also totally want an update of the wild west theme, but the whole cowboys/Indians thing is probably a no-go as well.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
The Western sets weren't really confrontational, though. You had sets with cowboys vs. bandits vs. soldiers and then you had sets with Indians vs. uhh... snakes and rolling logs. There weren't any banditos or saloons or train robberies to speak of. The whole line was so clean. They really should try it again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd love a Roman/Classical theme. It wouldn't have to be all alabaster white and things either - the Romans painted their statues, so things could be pretty colorful and still Roman.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I want more Space. I don't really care what goes on in space, so long as it means big swooshy space ships and huge stompy robots.

A film noir-style gangster theme would be rad, too. Run-down buildings with weird, diagonal uses for flat studless boards, rats, gumshoes with trenchcoats, I'm all in.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

John Carstairs posted:

MOTHERFUCKING DINO RIDERS

This is really great. This sums up all that is good in the world when you are a kid: Lego, Dinosaurs, and nonfatal faction violence. I was having a wretched day, and your Dino Riders cheered me up. I especially love the ant guy's head.

Great job!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

What about a museum line with sets featuring historical minifigs in small dioramas as if they were mannequins (no allusions to this in the fig design) and some velvet ropes and plaques and display cases to go around it?

It'd open doors for pretty much any kind of historical stuff without the designers having to commit to whole lines or large sets of the stuff and they'd make interesting decoration.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Funkmaster General posted:

What about a museum line with sets featuring historical minifigs in small dioramas as if they were mannequins (no allusions to this in the fig design) and some velvet ropes and plaques and display cases to go around it?

It'd open doors for pretty much any kind of historical stuff without the designers having to commit to whole lines or large sets of the stuff and they'd make interesting decoration.

This is a brilliant idea, but now you're making me sad that it doesn't exist.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

youareoffthehook posted:

So I got to build the Town Hall for the display for our store, and I took a bunch of pictures of it with the modified Grand Emporium and my outdoor cafe/park.

If anyone wants more detailed pictures, let me know! I have to take it in on Thursday, but its such a beautiful set :)

Here's my Flickr photostream of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75670843@N08/

Do you know when it's going to be available in your store? I was just up there a week ago, but...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So today on a trip to Target I noticed that the big Friends set (the house) has pug bricks on the side.

Does the Friends house fit in with the modular buildings???

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Pyroclastic posted:

Do you know when it's going to be available in your store? I was just up there a week ago, but...

March 1st! I'm so excited :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Soooo.... after getting back into Lego about a month ago, I..... I may have a problem.

(click for bigs)

Also the Green Grocer modular which I forgot to snap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wallet status: :gonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As long as it is not food money you're using to buy these, I see no problem here!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Captain Invictus posted:

As long as it is not food money you're using to buy these, I see no problem here!

Don't be ridiculous. It's just rent money.

I want some of those space chicks from series 5 they're so cool but I'm so broke right now. :cry:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
A couple of good new deals at Amazon UK including 29% off Battle over Gotham which is the biggest discount I've seen on one of the superhero sets. I'm tempted. I don't really like the line that much but wanted to get one Batman set and that seems like a good choice. Batcave is £10 off as well but will probably be cheaper at some point. The two-face set is 20% off as well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 29, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

youareoffthehook posted:

March 1st! I'm so excited :)

Would you say it's def worth the $200 price tag?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Soooo.... after getting back into Lego about a month ago, I..... I may have a problem.

(click for bigs)

Conspicuously absent: Lunar Limo. You're no goon, friend.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catsworth posted:

I want some of those space chicks from series 5 they're so cool but I'm so broke right now. :cry:

"Intergalactic Girl." is in s6, so you still have a bit of time to look for her.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of getting back into Lego and having problems.

The Hello Kitty ones are my g/f who decided she wanted to invade the fire station...

Also, those large mini fig display things are hard to find. I've only seen them at toys r us and I stopped in yesterday and all they had were the smaller ones. Anyone know if they sell them at the Lego store? Might have to take a trip to orlando this weekend since the Town Hall comes out as well.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

(click for bigs)

Same here. I think I started collecting a couple months ago. I have to keep rearranging.I can't even keep up with the uploads.

But I'm trying:

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/legolordryan/

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Lobsterdeth posted:

I thought there was like a path Lego won't cross as far as weapons/warfare/violence goes? Or was that before?

That's kind of hilarious, considering the current lines' focus on guns, missiles and battle.

Have you seen the tv commercials? They're almost like mini Michael Bay movies. "FIRE THE MISSILES!" "SHOOT THE TORPEDOES".

Kind of sad, to be honest, especially when you look at how these aggressive themes are marketed primarily to boys and then we get "Friends" which is marketed specifically to girls.

What ever happened to generic, gender neutral creativity? I find that a lot of these new sets are PLAYSETS, rather than construction sets.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Rocket Ace posted:

Have you seen the tv commercials? They're almost like mini Michael Bay movies. "FIRE THE MISSILES!" "SHOOT THE TORPEDOES".

I haven't seen any like that, maybe a couple of Ninjago ones. I see more for City than anything else, a few for Dino maybe. Not much in the way of missiles of torpedoes. Might be a regional thing though.

Rocket Ace posted:

What ever happened to generic, gender neutral creativity? I find that a lot of these new sets are PLAYSETS, rather than construction sets.

Action figures happened. If Lego hadn't made the shift from construction to play/action they would have gone out of business a couple of decades ago. They very almost did. I've seen a lot of people cite Bionicle as one of the main things that saved them. That and the Star Wars license.

They still have traditional construction sets with Bricks and More (for kids) and Creator (for teens) also stuff like the modulars for us manchildren.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 29, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gravy Jones posted:

Action figures happened. If Lego hadn't made the shift from construction to play/action they would have gone out of business a couple of decades ago. They very almost did. I've seen a lot of people cite Bionicle as one of the main things that saved them. That and the Star Wars license.

They still have traditional construction sets with Bricks and More (for kids) and Creator (for teens) also stuff like the modulars for us manchildren.

I'm still amazed that Bionicle did as well as it did (or does?). I just can't see the appeal of the Bionicle line.

I honestly can't see the Friends line lasting, but I kind of hope it does, because they need encouragement to keep trying new things.

Honestly, I wish the Lego site let you design and buy individual blocks. At the very least, they'd cash in on people creating personalized minifigures. But really, it'd just streamline their pick-a-brick process.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Reminds me of me!

That was the bulk of my new collection after two months.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
What's that fence thing at the bottom? I don't remember that set.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
My parents have graciously bestowed upon me the entirety of my childhood lego collection! Five tupperware containers of various size, full to the brim with pieces. Sadly, probably not a lot of fancy newfangled pieces, but enough variety that I should be able to build some pretty rad MOCs once I take a brief inventory.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pyroclastic posted:

Reminds me of me!

That was the bulk of my new collection after two months.
Obviously taken moments before the table collapsed.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Obviously taken moments before the table collapsed.

Or the cat jumps on the table.

"Hey guys, whats goin on up here, I -" ker-smash-crash-boom! "Oh god I'm so sorry!"

A similar thing happened to my ex causing him to quit both Lego and kitties.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

The Muffinlord posted:

My parents have graciously bestowed upon me the entirety of my childhood lego collection! Five tupperware containers of various size, full to the brim with pieces. Sadly, probably not a lot of fancy newfangled pieces, but enough variety that I should be able to build some pretty rad MOCs once I take a brief inventory.

I just finished washing my own collection, recovered from storage.

I believe the sets span across the 1990s:

-Lots of City vehicles, not many buildings
-Ice Planet 2002, including the awesome Deep Freeze Defender (best ship ever!)
-Some Space Police 2/Blacktron 2/M-Tron ships
-A couple of the medium-sized Aquanauts subs, including the shark canopy piece
-Two of the bigger (biggest?) underwater exploration sets
-A couple of Technic vehicles and two helicopters
-Some not-Indiana Jones sets
-The UFO Interstellar Starfighter with fiber optics
-Some early 90s Foresters/Dragon sets
-A few Samurai/Ninja and small Pirate sets (no big pirate ships, unfortunately)
-The blocky Town-scale Space Shuttle
-Apparently a whole bunch of small to medium sized Old West sets, because I have a lot of dynamite tiles, white cowboy hats, and revolvers

There are so many weird/rare/discontinued pieces in this collection. Sorting them is bringing back a lot of memories, even from odd little SNOT-enabling parts and random minifig accessories.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the white, grey, and blue bricks are discolored to a yellowish hue, but most are still pure white. Was this due to screw-ups/experiments with brick chemistry? It's not just age; some of the oldest pieces are still perfectly white. It doesn't bother me much, but is there a way to restore the color, at least on the white bricks? I have a couple of balloon tire hubs that are white on the inside and almost tan on the surface (and some discolored plates with smaller plate-shaped white areas), so it's probably UV discoloration.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Final Gloom posted:

What's that fence thing at the bottom? I don't remember that set.

From the Agents line a few years ago:
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/06/02/lego-agents-8634-turbo-car-chase-review/

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

mattfl posted:

Would you say it's def worth the $200 price tag?

Oh, totally. Its a ton of pieces, and took a fair amount of time. Probably about 8-10 hours over about three days. A lot of the pieces are pretty cool too!

I really don't want to take it back tomorrow because it looks so awesome.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Final Gloom posted:

That was a great theme. I wish they'd give it another go because there were so many potentially awesome sets that never got made. The series 6 Outlaw is pretty cool and had me digging up my old cowboys, Indians, and marshalls.

Maybe I'll try to make an old train.

I think that Outlaw has the best Lego face I've ever seen. Dead ringer for Michael Biehn in Tombstone.

Or put it on the pinstripe-suited Mafioso from a previous series and guess who you have, cocksucker :devil:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red posted:

I'm still amazed that Bionicle did as well as it did (or does?). I just can't see the appeal of the Bionicle line.
You need to be creative. Newer parts may be more specialized and harder to use, but the older ones were fully compatible with normal bricks provided you have Technic-System crossover bricks that had axle/pin holes, and sometimes you didn't even need that.

It's all

In how

You use

The pieces.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I think that Outlaw has the best Lego face I've ever seen. Dead ringer for Michael Biehn in Tombstone.

Or put it on the pinstripe-suited Mafioso from a previous series and guess who you have, cocksucker :devil:

If he wasn't smiling, he'd be a perfect Lee Van Cleef.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's Lego Law that requires all minifigs must have a stupid smug grin on their face at all times, a single raised eyebrow often accompanying it.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It's Lego Law that requires all minifigs must have a stupid smug grin on their face at all times, a single raised eyebrow often accompanying it.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I noticed the figs in the Racers theme have extra goofy mugs on their faces.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I've been musing about the current thread title and I've come to the conclusion that if they reinvented Time Cruisers as a space/ground line with an awesome light up interchangeable time travel flux capacitor unit that could attach to all the different vehicles instead of the swirly white disc, that would just be great. Like some sort of Exo-squad-esque line with Time Police vs Paradox agents trying to save/change history.

Also, definitely move away from the 'random bits thrown together' look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I want you to know that I blame all of you for this:

I made a promise to myself that once I got a better job and got my first paycheck, I'd scratch a LEGO itch that you lot got me thinking about after so many years. I've just dedicated an entire evening to sitting on my floor and assembling plastic bricks. I hope you're all happy...

I know I am :)