Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Well, if we're talking modern sequels and spinoffs, DoomRL has been given an awesome new update, with GRAPHICS! Graphics by Spelunky developer Derek Yu, at that!

OK, this is awesome.

(why did this have to come out 2 weeks before my exam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Kins posted:

Well, if we're talking modern sequels and spinoffs, DoomRL has been given an awesome new update, with GRAPHICS! Graphics by Spelunky developer Derek Yu, at that!

Well I guess I have no more freetime now :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom subject, quoting from Skulltag forums:

Sergeant_Mark_IV posted:

About Cyberdemon's weapon, I will enable the player to use the chainsaw to get his weapon after killing him with a fatality. Fatality for Cyberdemon will be just like any other enemy, but I will modify Cyberdemon's painchance to have a 100% chance to enter the pain state when getting punched in Rip and Tear mode, this pain state will last the double as the normal pain state, and will give time to the player to run away before the cyber can stomp him.

The only thing i can think right now is :flashfap:.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Paul Pot posted:

Carmack's comments about rendering 30 enemies at once, the look of the survivor models and id's inability to innovate makes this look like a L4D clone to me. 30 imps lobbing slow fireballs at you in an open street would look way too goofy, it just has to be melee enemies en masse. The melee guys in Rage were impressive so maybe it'll be a fun game, just not very retro.

I disagree with the forecast of goofiness, actually, unless you mean something about an urban environment specifically. There are plenty of IWADs where you have goddamn constellations of fireballs coming at you and it's awesome.

That said Doom I/II's melee options were surprisingly fun considering how secondary they were. Not just Demons and Spectres, it's fun to berserk everything up through Barons and Arch-Viles if they're set up correctly.

No matter what, though, I hope they back off from enemies having melee leaps/charges. Though Quake's fiends had that and it was fine so I guess I'd also accept a Doomguy who can actually move like the FPS heroes of yore.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It works in Doom1&2, but you can't replicate that gameplay in the gritty modern gaming environment while still be taken seriously as a AAA developer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Paul Pot posted:

It works in Doom1&2, but you can't replicate that gameplay in the gritty modern gaming environment while still be taken seriously as a AAA developer.

If something moved as fast and had as many guys to battle at once (whose gibs never leave the screen) as Doom I/II but BF3 graphics and was locked at 60FPS people would eat it up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

If something moved as fast and had as many guys to battle at once (whose gibs never leave the screen) as Doom I/II but BF3 graphics and was locked at 60FPS people would eat it up.

I can't even imagine what that would look like. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only reason your brain doesn't freak out and go "HEY THAT LOOKS RIDICULOUS" when your guy runs at 90MPH in Doom is because everything in that game looks so weird and abstract.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I can't even imagine what that would look like. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only reason your brain doesn't freak out and go "HEY THAT LOOKS RIDICULOUS" when your guy runs at 90MPH in Doom is because everything in that game looks so weird and abstract.

Of course it would look ridiculous, but anyone would enjoy it the way anyone enjoyed Doom instead of just gamers.

There were plenty of first person games before Doom but if you go back and look at the old reviews, look at the original reactions to it, the reason that game is the best is because it had incredible lighting/texture work for its time and moves fast as hell. Everyone knows it's the best. Look at Deus Ex HR, incredible game, but even people I know who never played Doom lament how you upgrade super robot man's legs five times so he can kind of jog slowly for five seconds straight.

They didn't even play Doom but you can see it in their eyes, they just know running 90MPH firing a billion rockets from a first person view would own. In this age where games need to be made more and more accessible bringing back that immediately responsive and fast control would be a good thing. Even with Modern Warfare, the ONLY reason the average person gives for liking it more than any other FPS is because "it's fast," nothing to do with balance or other minutia, it's fast and easy to jump in and blow up poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 29, 2012

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Oh man, finally! All I need is a portable version of this and I'd be set!

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Derek's graphics are gorgeous as always. I just wish this guy would get a proper editor and maybe crank down on the silly anime powerups.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Paul Pot posted:

Mortal Kombat 9 successfully transplanted 90s gameplay into the modern era. I think id should follow their example and remake Doom 1 & 2 with new and extra content, modern graphics, and select gameplay innovations. I want Doom 4 to be Doom, not Rage with 30 enemies on screen (which as someone else already noticed, isn't even that impressive since games like Left 4 Dead already do it)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

emoticon posted:

Mortal Kombat 9 successfully transplanted 90s gameplay into the modern era. I think id should follow their example and remake Doom 1 & 2 with new and extra content, modern graphics, and select gameplay innovations. I want Doom 4 to be Doom, not Rage with 30 enemies on screen (which as someone else already noticed, isn't even that impressive since games like Left 4 Dead already do it)

Of course, we're all "fps hipsters" for enjoying Doom.

I'm not really sure how Id can recreate the Doom feel... it's not Serious Sam and Painkiller in that there are no wave spawn mechanics and the level design is much more mazelike. But even during the time of Doom clones, games tended to degenerate into confusing key hunts with obscure secrets and a lot of backtracking. Bad Doom levels can get very bad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A lot of modern Doom levels get away with being more linear and having waves of enemies spawn in. It's a valid design decision, and it doesn't really harm the essential Doom-ish flavor of the gameplay. It focuses it, in many cases.

Hell, even in Doom 2, rather than teleport enemies in, they often just introduced more waves into a fight by opening up monster closets. In a modern, high-budget context, you could have a wall burst open and a dozen more enemies pour out of the hole.

The essence of Doom is how the combat moves and how the weapons feel, not in the map layout.

Edit: On the subject of that 'New Doom Feel', there's a new version of Brutal Doom out tomorrow!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 1, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes, oh yes, Brutal Doom 0.15 on Friday, got a weekend to replay Doom the Way Id Did with it :woop:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So in anticipation of BD .15 I decided to grab .14, and I've gotta say, I absolutely hate the new gameplay balance. I played Brutal Doom before the weapons did different damage and loved it, but playing .14, Doomguy feels like an absolute pussy in terms of tanking damage. I understand the developer wanted to make the game more challenging by rebalancing the difficulty, but Doom guy feels way to fragile for my liking. I end up hiding from enemies way to often compared to vanilla doom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

misterdoo01 posted:

So in anticipation of BD .15 I decided to grab .14, and I've gotta say, I absolutely hate the new gameplay balance. I played Brutal Doom before the weapons did different damage and loved it, but playing .14, Doomguy feels like an absolute pussy in terms of tanking damage. I understand the developer wanted to make the game more challenging by rebalancing the difficulty, but Doom guy feels way to fragile for my liking. I end up hiding from enemies way to often compared to vanilla doom.

Really? I find myself playing far more aggressively than ever. The minigun is terrifyingly powerful, and berserk makes you a freight train of death against rooms of smaller enemies.

When playing DTWiD, I turn on Fast Monsters to make it a bit tougher, as it's almost too easy in places otherwise.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Really? I find myself playing far more aggressively than ever. The minigun is terrifyingly powerful, and berserk makes you a freight train of death against rooms of smaller enemies.

When playing DTWiD, I turn on Fast Monsters to make it a bit tougher, as it's almost too easy in places otherwise.

I tend to play Doom really aggressively by default, but now I'm finding myself getting killed my quickly than usual because of the balance changes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Brutal Doom definitely turns up the difficulty a fair bit. Some map packs (like the original maps, DTWiD) work real well with it, but other map packs that are significantly harder than normal you really have to step the difficulty down a level to make them work.

This goes 10x for any levels with tons of 'jump' scares, which now basically become death traps on UV. These kinds of map packs I just play on difficult 3 instead, feels a lot more reasonable.

Another good solution is to run in 'you only live twice' mode. Those death trap rooms become a LOT more tolerable when you've got a spare life per level to work with.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Brutal Doom definitely turns up the difficulty a fair bit. Some map packs (like the original maps, DTWiD) work real well with it, but other map packs that are significantly harder than normal you really have to step the difficulty down a level to make them work.

This goes 10x for any levels with tons of 'jump' scares, which now basically become death traps on UV. These kinds of map packs I just play on difficult 3 instead, feels a lot more reasonable.

Another good solution is to run in 'you only live twice' mode. Those death trap rooms become a LOT more tolerable when you've got a spare life per level to work with.

Having an extra life would be nice. How do I go about activating that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I'm not really sure how Id can recreate the Doom feel... it's not Serious Sam and Painkiller in that there are no wave spawn mechanics and the level design is much more mazelike. But even during the time of Doom clones, games tended to degenerate into confusing key hunts with obscure secrets and a lot of backtracking. Bad Doom levels can get very bad.

They need to make the levels in more complex and as non-linear as possible, but instead of having color coded keys just have "keys" like in Gauntlet where you can carry like six keys at once and they can open any door and you can even take them from one area to another. So there's still a "key hunt" but it's not really restrictive, and no matter what way you go, like in Gauntlet, you're either very quickly making progress or very quickly knowing the exact way to go anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Neo Rasa posted:

They need to make the levels in more complex and as non-linear as possible, but instead of having color coded keys just have "keys" like in Gauntlet where you can carry like six keys at once and they can open any door and you can even take them from one area to another. So there's still a "key hunt" but it's not really restrictive, and no matter what way you go, like in Gauntlet, you're either very quickly making progress or very quickly knowing the exact way to go anyway.
I've always been a fan of key-hunt levels that kind of play out like Metroid games in miniature, where there's a lot of doors that take the same key throughout the course of the level. Finding the key and being able to freely explore everything and find all those nooks and crannies you missed out on earlier is always a little rewarding.

I've never minded levels that take a degree of backtracking, as long as areas were at least repopulated a bit to give you something to do on the way back. Levels that do this the right way help create an actual "area" rather than just a dressed-up corridor full of enemies.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Forgot to post this here. I made this thing this week. It's a joke game, a mashup of block-building games and Wolf3D, sort of a Wolfenstein sandboxy construction set thing.
Here's the downloadable windows version (works best for me) and the webplayer version (works better for some people apparently). The default level might or might not run great for you depending on your hardware. Have fun (?)!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Matt Hooper posted a brief statement on Twitter about those leaked images:

@id_Hooper posted:

Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome
Speaking of the future, I'm finally talking about the next Reelism update since it's only a month or so away from completion. Have a poorly done comic-y thing with some info and screenshots, and a little teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YGd6EZQaA

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

Matt Hooper posted a brief statement on Twitter about those leaked images:
Speaking of the future, I'm finally talking about the next Reelism update since it's only a month or so away from completion. Have a poorly done comic-y thing with some info and screenshots, and a little teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YGd6EZQaA
You made a grammatical error in the comic. You put "Remedied with prejudice" when it should say "Remedied with extreme prejudice" :unsmigghh:

Seriously though cool to hear about the co-op - I've never been a fan of SP wave gameplay as it feels kind alifeless but with other people it's much much better.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh god Reelism update and it's got co-op!! :dance:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

misterdoo01 posted:

Having an extra life would be nice. How do I go about activating that?

I thiiiink all you have to do is host a co-op server and set Max Lives to 2. I'd have to double check to see if I'm forgetting a step though.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I reread this thread earlier and saw the (legitimate) complaints about modern shooters such as COD being too linear. Then I found these parody fan videos. What would Doom and Quake look like if they were released today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

I showed the Doom one to my friend, who has grown up on games like Halo and COD. I could see his frown getting bigger by the minute. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This thread has turned me on to Brutal Doom. What a fantastic mod. I've always played Doom really fast and loose. I mean, that's the way it's meant to be played, I think, but now I have to be a lot more careful and thoughtful with my shots and positioning, and it's so fun.

Plus it's satisfying to skullfuck a Pain Elemental with the barrel of a shotgun as an execution. I love that the annoying enemies have had their health reduced. It makes the normally loathsome levels like The Pit so much more fun and fluid.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Super duper excited about the Reelism update. It would be really cool to get everyone together on a server for coop when it comes out.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Cross posting this from the imgur roulette thread, just coz.

Actual original content:
Put me down for a Reelism co-op server. I love Reelism though it did feel like it was missing co-op in previous versions.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

tooooooo bad posted:

Super duper excited about the Reelism update. It would be really cool to get everyone together on a server for coop when it comes out.
I have had success running small coop games from time to time with friends, so I could look into if you guys want some cool action.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Zero Star posted:

I reread this thread earlier and saw the (legitimate) complaints about modern shooters such as COD being too linear. Then I found these parody fan videos. What would Doom and Quake look like if they were released today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

I showed the Doom one to my friend, who has grown up on games like Halo and COD. I could see his frown getting bigger by the minute. :v:

I haven't actually played any modern FPS games, I think the newest was Half-Life 2. I assume these are exaggerated, but have they really become so simplistic? "Return to the combat zone!" was especially scary.

EDIT: I saw a while back a mod for the Doom engine games that placed weapons/enemiesetc. from any of the games into whatever map you're playing. So you'd be playing Doom, but find a weapon from Heretic, and battle Doom monsters along with Hexen enemies. Or something like that. Was it any good? Anyone have a link?

Project1 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 3, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dukka posted:

I have had success running small coop games from time to time with friends, so I could look into if you guys want some cool action.

That'd be great. Kazvall has hosted our weekend Doom sessions in the past but he hasn't posted in this thread for a few pages so he might be busy with other stuff now.

Also Yodzilla's new avatar :laffo:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Project1 posted:

I haven't actually played any modern FPS games, I think the newest was Half-Life 2. I assume these are exaggerated, but have they really become so simplistic? "Return to the combat zone!" was especially scary.
I got a "Return to the combat zone!" message during a Battlefield 3 online match last night.

Project1 posted:

EDIT: I saw a while back a mod for the Doom engine games that placed weapons/enemiesetc. from any of the games into whatever map you're playing. So you'd be playing Doom, but find a weapon from Heretic, and battle Doom monsters along with Hexen enemies. Or something like that. Was it any good? Anyone have a link?
That would be Aeons of Death.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zero Star posted:

That would be Aeons of Death.
Which, everyone should add, is loving awesome and worth your time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zero Star posted:

I got a "Return to the combat zone!" message during a Battlefield 3 online match last night.

Yeah that's something you see in multiplayer stuff, which is a lot more tolerable to me than big artificial obvious walls boxing you in. That's been in BF games since the beginning.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Rather Dashing posted:

Which, everyone should add, is loving awesome and worth your time.

I get errors when I try to run Aeons of Death. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix?

Edit: I have the latest SVN build of GZDoom.

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 3, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

tooooooo bad posted:

That'd be great. Kazvall has hosted our weekend Doom sessions in the past but he hasn't posted in this thread for a few pages so he might be busy with other stuff now.
And here I was thinking everything died off when the goon Skulltag steam group went silent. :(

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

DarkSol posted:

I get errors when I try to run Aeons of Death. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix?

Edit: I have the latest SVN build of GZDoom.

Make sure you have both Aeod.pk3 and Aeoddat.pk3 (which contains all of the extra weapons/creatures you'll meet). They don't make that very clear on the current forum thread.
Here's the dat package incase that's your issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Project1 posted:

It's exaggerated (obviously). For example, the recently released Darkness II has most of the things in that video (it's linear, has regenerating health, and the game literally yells at you when you do something you shouldn't), but the implementation isn't anywhere near as obnoxious as it is in that video.