Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Weird problem.
Iphone 4 with 5.0.1 jailbroken, I've had this issue as long as I can remember but I usually just ignore it because it's more of a nuisance than something serious. When I press the sleep button to come out of sleep, the screen will flick on then back off immediately. If I immediately follow it up with another sleep button press, it turns on fine. I don't seem to get the same behavior from my home button.

I'm suspecting this might be Activator related, but I don't have the sleep button mapped to anything on Activator, so I can't be entirely sure.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Vertigus posted:

I installed 5 Icon Dock and noticed that my phone was down to 60% battery life because it sat in an office with bad reception all day. See how that stuff works? If the phone's battery life can fluctuate wildly just based on how busy the towers are or how good the cell reception is then you probably shouldn't talk about how a program that swaps "1.5" for "1.0" in graphics.cfg is ruining your battery life.

It's annoying because there's lots of internet people who will say over and over again that jailbreaking alone will ruin the battery life of your phone, and when you jump to conclusions over a single app it can actually harm the developer when people read it.

As I mentioned, it was pretty clear cut to me. I don't get why people are so defensive over this app, especially when I admitted it could have been a bad install

I installed the app and my battery life suffered [I already had BiteSMS installed and still do]. I used it for three weeks, the battery life sucked the entire time. I uninstalled the app and since then, my battery has become better. There's no misunderstanding, there's no misconception and I'm fully aware that it doesn't change the clock speed on the phone or affect anything.

FCU made my battery poo poo, maybe it didn't make yours poo poo. The app is a stupid gimmick anyway to me so it was of no use, but if it works for you awesome.

I used the app for three weeks all in areas in town with good reception. There were no outside sources that could have made it drain faster.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Godinster posted:

FCU made my battery poo poo

No it didn't.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Arrowsmith posted:

Hey I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I just remember reading something to the effect that one difference between LCD and CRT screens is that CRTs have to refresh every pixel on every redraw, and LCDs don't have to switch a pixel that doesn't need to be changed. It's probably an oversimplification or just faulty memory on my part. Just trying to contribute to the conversation is all.
Yes, a CRT has to constantly redraw the image at all times. Yes, an LCD only changes pixels that need to be changed. But yes, a fully-black image on an LCD does draw slightly less power than a fully-white image, and yes, there is a "cost" of changing pixels.

But compared to the power draw of the CPU/GPU, maintaining 3G and/or Wifi connectivity, monitoring push services, and powering the bright backlight behind the LCD, the power draw of actually changing pixels in negligible.

The argument that drawing the animation "faster" can *significantly* decrease battery life during a time in which the CPU and 3G/Wifi chips are in constant use and the backlight is on is ridiculous, and isn't going to have any more impact than the randomness of your daily usage patterns or fluctuating signal strength. A single page swipe through an email or web page is going to "update" much more pixels than the loading indicator rendering too fast. And the miniscule savings of battery life can be offset by miniscule gains in battery life in situations where the loading process is actually shorter than the standard animation speed.

FakeClockUp uses the standard MobileSubstrate hooking functionality, is literally one line of code, and is as optimised as a single line of code can be (using faster multiplication operations than division).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

frumpsnake posted:

Yes, a CRT has to constantly redraw the image at all times. Yes, an LCD only changes pixels that need to be changed. But yes, a fully-black image on an LCD does draw slightly less power than a fully-white image, and yes, there is a "cost" of changing pixels.

LCDs use the least power when white, not black.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

LCDs use the least power when white, not black.

I'm pretty sure that's only the case for TN panels. PVA and IPS are the reverse.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

LCDs require power to maintain an image, too. If I recall correctly each pixel requires a supply of constant, consistent voltage to maintain its state. A change in voltage results in a change of state, and a removal of power altogether results in a reversion to whatever the default state is (opaque or clear or something in-between maybe).

Anyhow, this thing with FakeClockUp is getting ridiculous. The code itself, as mentioned, is incredibly simple. Given that iOS and iPhones, iPods, iPads combine to form one of the most consistent software/hardware platforms around the idea that FCU is going to go nuts and drain your battery in hours on one iPhone but not on another is bizarre. I don't even know what "a bad install" would mean in this case.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

frumpsnake posted:

I'm pretty sure that's only the case for TN panels. PVA and IPS are the reverse.

Looked it up, depends on if the lcd defaults to black or defaults to white.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

frumpsnake posted:

The code is quite literally nothing more than (duration=duration*0.xx)

code:
%hook CAAnimation
- (void)setDuration:(NSTimeInterval)duration
{
  if (FCEditing && disableOnEdit) {
    %orig(duration);
  } else {
    %orig(duration * durMulti);
  }
}
%end
)

It just hooks into any existing CoreAnimation and overrides the duration variable sent to the standard setDuration method with its own.

It uses MobileHooker for how many calls and how many different instances?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Has anybody else had issues with youtube (website) since jailbreaking? Occasionally on longer videos youtube will randomly decide to stop buffering/loading the video. It can happen 5 minutes in, 20 minutes in, whatever. I haven't been able to find anybody else with the issue

No other video streams cause issues, it's specifically and only youtube. I'm stuck with trying to figure out what causes it to happen. When it does, I just refresh the page, move the slider to wherever I was, and it has no problems any more.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

mewse posted:

Making poo poo up doesn't make your argument sound
What aspect of that quote strikes you as made up and/or incorrect?

frumpsnake posted:

The argument that drawing the animation "faster" can *significantly* decrease battery life

Whoa slow down there. Even a cursory read of what I actually wrote would tell you that I specifically used the word "negligible" and prefaced the statement as an exercise in pedantry. If it is as you say that there is a "cost" in changing pixels then I have been vindicated, as technically there is no way that speeding up those animations isn't detrimental to power usage, even if battery life only drops a single unit of Planck time.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 28, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I opened a box I forgot about and found my old 16gb 3G. It's on 3.0 and runs modem firmware 04.26.08. How can I go about JBing this thing with a more modern version of the OS and still unlock it?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I opened a box I forgot about and found my old 16gb 3G. It's on 3.0 and runs modem firmware 04.26.08. How can I go about JBing this thing with a more modern version of the OS and still unlock it?

Use sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool to create a custom 4.2.1 IPSW.
http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.2.1&device=iphone2

You could also give whited00r a shot. The unlocker firmware shouldn't touch your baseband.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 28, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

Use sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool to create a custom 4.2.1 IPSW.
http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.2.1&device=iphone2

You could also give whited00r a shot. The unlocker firmware shouldn't touch your baseband.

Thanks much! I might give the whited00r option a go just because I'm curious about it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd recommend staying on 3.1.2 at the latest, or at least doing whatever it is that lets you downgrade the OS in future.

OS 4 and above are really designed for devices with 512MB RAM and it shows.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Godinster posted:

FCU made my battery poo poo, maybe it didn't make yours poo poo.

You're right I probably had one of those iPhone models that's different. You know, the iPhone Galaxy IIs.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I'd recommend staying on 3.1.2 at the latest, or at least doing whatever it is that lets you downgrade the OS in future.

If you don't run a ton of apps, 256 Megs can be just fine.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

So I jailbroke my 4S and 3G wouldn't activate, since there is no option to turn on 3G I loaded a back up and took my phone to the sprint store to get it reactivated, Jailbroke it again and 3G has once again vanished

is anyone else having an issue like this?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Black Noise posted:

So I jailbroke my 4S and 3G wouldn't activate, since there is no option to turn on 3G I loaded a back up and took my phone to the sprint store to get it reactivated, Jailbroke it again and 3G has once again vanished

is anyone else having an issue like this?

You tried resetting your network settings? ( Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings ) That always seems to fix my wifi/3g issues.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

bonzaisushi posted:

You tried resetting your network settings? ( Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings ) That always seems to fix my wifi/3g issues.

no dice

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

~Coxy posted:

On my 256MB RAM touch the only apps I've had memory issues with on ios5 out of everything I've tried are the Infinity Blade games.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
3G is 128MB though isn't it?

Regardless, IOS4 is slow(er than 3) on a iPhone 3GS or below.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
BiteSMS has been giving me yet more problems lately! Occasionally when sending a message (through quick-reply, I don't know if it would also happen through the main part of the app), some messages will soon show up as a notification back to me as though the recipient had sent it. I'm pretty sure the recipient never receives the messages in this case, but it's a bit of a strange one.

iPhone 4 / iOS 5.0.1 untethered

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Question Mark Mound posted:

BiteSMS has been giving me yet more problems lately! Occasionally when sending a message (through quick-reply, I don't know if it would also happen through the main part of the app), some messages will soon show up as a notification back to me as though the recipient had sent it. I'm pretty sure the recipient never receives the messages in this case, but it's a bit of a strange one.

Happens to me as well. Either eventually changes to sent by me or "message send failure" though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
This is a public request for advice from people who are more cleverer than me.

My mum a few weeks ago bought a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3GS secondhand and it was working all fine and dandy, but now she seems to have accidentally updated it from itunes. It was upgraded to baseband 06.15.00, so I know that is something bad to have done. I have been fiddling with it for a few days (when she gave it to me it was in the activation stage, so I had to hacktivate it) - currently it is on iOS 5.0.1 and seems to be working fine in all aspects apart from it cannot recognise the SIM card - any sim card. I have installed ultrasn0w on it via Cydia, but it still doesn't seem to have unlocked. Even putting the original carrier SIM in doesn't work.

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

tanglewood1420 posted:

This is a public request for advice from people who are more cleverer than me.

My mum a few weeks ago bought a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3GS secondhand and it was working all fine and dandy, but now she seems to have accidentally updated it from itunes. It was upgraded to baseband 06.15.00, so I know that is something bad to have done. I have been fiddling with it for a few days (when she gave it to me it was in the activation stage, so I had to hacktivate it) - currently it is on iOS 5.0.1 and seems to be working fine in all aspects apart from it cannot recognise the SIM card - any sim card. I have installed ultrasn0w on it via Cydia, but it still doesn't seem to have unlocked. Even putting the original carrier SIM in doesn't work.

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Sorry to bear bad news mate, but she's upgraded the baseband and I don't think it can be re-unclocked. Is it a UK iPhone? Because then all she has to do is switch to the carrier it was sold on, otherwise shes SOL and I'd sell it and get another one from Cex or something.

Edit: Missed the bit about the original carrier SIM. That's very odd, what I'd do is take it into the shop and have them reset it to their network settings, thats what I did with my unlocked American iPhone, had Vodafone reset it for me.

First thing though is this: Put in the original carrier SIM and hold down the lock and home buttons for a minute. After thirty seconds it'll restart but keep holding it down for another thirty seconds for another restart. That's a hard reset (you won't lose any data) and it's gotten mine to start recongising the UK SIM again.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 29, 2012

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
It was actually an American phone, on AT&T originally. My mum bought it unlocked and without a SIM, (she's on Vodafone) but I've subsequently got hold of an AT&T SIM specifically to try in the phone.

I'll try the hard reset idea.

Would Vodafone give a drat if the phone is jailbroken with an upgraded baseband? I know Apple don't support jailbroken phones.

quote:

6.15.00 is the iPad's BB and, last I heard, it can disable some wireless functions on some 3GS iPhones. Someone must have flashed it to the phone and it is not reversible.

Yeah I know that, but in order to unlock a 3GS you need to 'upgrade' to 06.15.00. It works perfectly fine (on my 3GS for example), but the issue is that my mother didn't realise you shouldn't you itunes to update with a flashed baseband. I was hoping it was still recoverable, but apparently not.

Tried the hard reset and it didn't work, with an AT&T SIM or any other SIM. Never mind, chalk it up to experience I guess. I'm sure someone on eBay will buy a 3GS even if it's specifically listed as not recognising SIM cards.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 29, 2012

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

It was actually an American phone, on AT&T originally. My mum bought it unlocked and without a SIM, (she's on Vodafone) but I've subsequently got hold of an AT&T SIM specifically to try in the phone.

Would Vodafone give a drat if the phone is jailbroken with an upgraded baseband? I know Apple don't support jailbroken phones.

6.15.00 is the iPad's BB and, last I heard, it can disable some wireless functions on some 3GS iPhones. Someone must have flashed it to the phone and it is not reversible.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah, clearly it was not your mum that updated the baseband but whoever sold it in the first place.

The 6.15.00 baseband IS fine to unlock but it DOES have a tendency to kill the GPS and rely solely on cell+Wifi triangulation. But what's done is done.

I'm a little confused on your timeline because once the 6.15 baseband is on there you CAN'T install stock iOS versions direct from Apple in iTunes. How exactly did your mum update iOS?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

No, it's exactly the same setup as mine. I have an American iPhone from AT&T and I use it on Vodafone when I'm home in the UK. I take it into the Vodafone store all the time and they're happy to help me. At first I got the SIM to work but couldn't get 3G data working, took it into my local Vodafone shop and told them what was up and they put in the correct network settings for me and showed me what to do in the future when I switch back. YMMV obviously, I might just have a very helpful location.

The hard reset trick was shown to me at the Apple store. The guy told me out loud that they couldn't support a jailbroken phone from America, then stepped out for a sec and showed me off the record what would probably work and it did. It forces the phone to boot using the settings from the installed SIM card.

If you have an iPad baseband like others are saying you might be sol though. Did it work when she first got it?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Apparently you have to patch ultrasn0w for 6.15 to work on 5.0.1.

edit: ultrasn0w fixer in Cydia might be easier.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 29, 2012

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm getting this on my 4S too (although the recipient does get it, I believe), as well as messages sometimes deciding not to send if I get and quick-reply to a text while the phone is in landscape. I tested and if I receive the text in portrait and turn the phone to type it sends fine, as well as initiating the text from landscape. Very quirky bug.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Does anyone have an iPhone 4 on 5.01 with bb 04.10.01 and had any success with gevey (OG, blue ultra, ultra, etc). I want to make sure that if I buy an authentic one from applenberry that I'm not going to get screwed over by something that wasn't going to work anyway.

If you have or you were to buy one at this point, what is the best/easiest to work with (since they appear to have multiple versions (blue ultra, ultra, etc)?

I'd like to take my at&t iPhone 4 to Europe this summer, instead of relying on my old 3G.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 1, 2012

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Hey guys, I probably did something incredibly dumb and I'm not discounting that. I tried to take an iphone 3 4.2.1 that was given to me and ran redsn0w on it. Before doing so I had no issues but after doing so it kept having it that whenever the screen would scroll or refresh it would have screen tearing issues where things (like icons that should be moving) would just disappear for a frame before re-appearing. I restored back to normal currently but is there something I was supposed to do?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got SMBPrefs or whatever it's called that lets you hide icons. Does anyone know why I can't hide Newsstand? It doesn't show up in the list.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Anjow posted:

I've got SMBPrefs or whatever it's called that lets you hide icons. Does anyone know why I can't hide Newsstand? It doesn't show up in the list.

You need NoNewsIsGoodNews for that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

jojoinnit posted:

You need NoNewsIsGoodNews for that.

Thanks, that did it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reason you couldn't hide it like an app is because Newsstand is treated as a folder, by the way.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Forer posted:

Hey guys, I probably did something incredibly dumb and I'm not discounting that. I tried to take an iphone 3 4.2.1 that was given to me and ran redsn0w on it. Before doing so I had no issues but after doing so it kept having it that whenever the screen would scroll or refresh it would have screen tearing issues where things (like icons that should be moving) would just disappear for a frame before re-appearing. I restored back to normal currently but is there something I was supposed to do?

Build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool and install that.

By "3", do you mean the iPhone 3GS? Have anything against 4.3.3 or 5.0.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Xenomorph posted:

Build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool and install that.

By "3", do you mean the iPhone 3GS? Have anything against 4.3.3 or 5.0.1?

I believe it's just the iPhone 3G, and after checking on iTunes and trying to update from 4.2.1 it keeps saying it's up to date so I hope that answers that 'cause I don't have a clue. I'd update if I could

• Locked thread