Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

In case it didn't register when the dozen people above me said it - unless you don't care where you go and just are looking for the most convenient place to get a law degree so you can keep your job, or you have some other really compelling geographic reason to stay in Texas, there's no other reason whatsoever to take Texas over Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Ani posted:

If you have time, find a book of multiple choice questions on secured transactions and work through it. I did this and it really helped, because it just reinforces all the basic connections that you need - e.g., you need to file to perfect, unless it's a X kind of security interest - there aren't really tricks and traps and hazy caselaw; it's just a matter of knowing the connections between the provisions of Art 9 and the bankruptcy code.

Like a bar prep book or something? The ST E&E is dumb and bad.

BigHead posted:

He didn't tell you before the semester started? Dick move and lol.

Or you didn't specifically screen classes for closed book exams before the semester started? You dug your own hole and also you must be a 2L.

He hadn't decided at the start of the class. I have closed book ST and evidence this term, soooo hooray for rules with exceptions.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

my friend at an NYC firm tried to get a box of tissues from a secretary and was refused because "tissues are for partners"

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That can't be true. Partners never cry.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
First month that I've had to pay on all my student loans. ~$1,000. 1 month down, 359 to go.

Go to law school kids! :toot:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Mr Gentleman posted:

my friend at an NYC firm tried to get a box of tissues from a secretary and was refused because "tissues are for partners"

It's to cover their nose when they talk to associates.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

It's to cover their nose when they talk to associates.

Partners talk face-to-face to associates in NYC firms? Where I'm from, partners communicate only through email, interoffice memo delivered by a secretary, or the appearance of their flaming visage on the associate's office wall.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Omerta posted:

Like a bar prep book or something? The ST E&E is dumb and bad.
I used http://www.amazon.com/Glannon-Guide-Secured-Transactions-Guides/dp/0735564795 and http://www.amazon.com/Questions-Answers-Transactions-Bruce-Markell/dp/0820556661

Both were professor-recommended, so I don't know if they'll be that useful for other courses. I do know that it took me about a day and a half to go through them all; I just did the MC questions in sets of about 10, then looked up all the answers, then repeated. No other notetaking, or fancy outlining, or anything like that. For the next couple days, I knew ST backwards and forwards, which was just enough time to take the final.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

Also, you sound like a kid, so take a year off. "Oh gee golly everyone wants me to go to UT." This decision is going to impact the rest of YOUR life in a very large way. I don't give a gently caress if Aunt Betty bought you a Longhorns belt buckle, that's no reason to go to UT over Michigan.

I've actually been out of college for a while now, but fair point. It was more that the response was enough to make me second-guess my assumption that Penn or Michigan were obviously better choices, since it's not like I'm agonizing between UT and Yale. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overrelying on the ranking.

I think I also feel a vague obligation to go to UT because in-state tuition used to be a lot cheaper, which made it a much more obvious choice, and there's a residual feeling that UT is a more responsible money choice even when that isn't true.

Hopefully, I'll be going to Penn with money. Even though I'm not totally writing off Texas, it seems like it'd be easier to come back than vice-versa, and I think psychologically getting away for a while will make me feel better about coming back if that's ultimately my decision. Thanks for the perspective, guys.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Mr Gentleman posted:

which firm?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mixed Doubles posted:

I've actually been out of college for a while now, but fair point. It was more that the response was enough to make me second-guess my assumption that Penn or Michigan were obviously better choices, since it's not like I'm agonizing between UT and Yale. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overrelying on the ranking.

Yeah, Penn would be the best choice. How much money is it Michigan is offering you total?

As for overly relying on ranking, you might be, but we're not. In fact, the rank difference between these schools doesn't even accurately reflect the difference in the institutions.

Rank isn't the issue here, your likelihood of being employed is. The reality is going to Michigan or Penn will give you a MUCH greater chance of landing a job. This is no knock on UT, and if this were 6 years ago you could go to any of these schools and almost be guaranteed a great job, but that is no longer so. While there are unemployed Michigan grads, I guarantee you they are significantly fewer in number than unemployed UT grads.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Also, you sound like a kid, so take a year off. "Oh gee golly everyone wants me to go to UT." This decision is going to impact the rest of YOUR life in a very large way. I don't give a gently caress if Aunt Betty bought you a Longhorns belt buckle, that's no reason to go to UT over Michigan.
Seriously, this poo poo reminds me of that Chinese chick who went to Cardozo or whatever because her mom would get mad at her otherwise

e: edited to be slightly less sociopathic

HiddenReplaced posted:

Rank isn't the issue here, your likelihood of being employed is. The reality is going to Michigan or Penn will give you a MUCH greater chance of landing a job. This is no knock on UT, and if this were 6 years ago you could go to any of these schools and almost be guaranteed a great job, but that is no longer so. While there are unemployed Michigan grads, I guarantee you they are significantly fewer in number than unemployed UT grads.
Yep. UT would be the clear choice if you wanted to work in Texas, but since you don't, go to the best school you can get money at

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 29, 2012

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009
Thanks guys. That actually confirms my guy instinct. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving UT too little credit out of snobbery.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Seriously, this poo poo reminds me of that Chinese chick who went to Cardozo or whatever because her mom would get mad at her otherwise

Hey! Don't underestimate the wrath/anger of an Asian mother. In addition, most Asian children have an overwhelming sense of guilt when it comes to potentially disappointing their mothers.

*Thinks back to her own mother telling her to give law school a try, "just for one year".* :emo:

EDIT: Doing an advocacy assignment has reminded me that applying THE LAW is more fun than learning about it in a classroom. For the first time ever, I'm enjoying property law!

Still, don't go to law school. You'll meet weird people and gain weight because baked goods don't argue with you.

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 1, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mixed Doubles posted:

Thanks guys. That actually confirms my guy instinct. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving UT too little credit out of snobbery.

Between Michigan and Penn, though, go where you want to spend the next three years of your life. I really liked Michigan (except it was cold) and I'm not a huge fan of Philly (although I want to work there after graduation). Visit both is what I'm saying. Go to the ASWs.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Soothing Vapors posted:

Amish Sexpot? Isn't she employed? Or at least has the gig of her dreams?

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

tau posted:

Amish Sexpot? Isn't she employed? Or at least has the gig of her dreams?

She has an internship/externship at Louis Vuitton. Or someone does. Not sure if she goes to Cardozo although I thought she's Korean and not Chinese.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Penguins Like Pies posted:

She has an internship/externship at Louis Vuitton. Or someone does. Not sure if she goes to Cardozo although I thought she's Korean and not Chinese.

thought it was fordham?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

thought it was fordham?

Wasn't that the homeless person who eats bugs ?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

So, I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools, but I figure I should start getting yelled at now. I've been accepted to a non HYS T14 school (one of CCN, where I doubt I will receive significant money) and I've been accepted to UMN with a partial scholarship. Tuition would be about 10k/year for me at UMN. I realize that neither situation is ideal but which would be my better option. I realize that UMN is a more debt adverse option, but I also think I'd be more likely to get a decent job from CCN. My ideal scenario was going to be a lower T14 with some money, but that is looking less likely as time progresses.

The long term goal is in house counsel at a corporation. I realize this is very difficult to get and would likely require some biglaw experience, which is also difficult to get.

I have no debt from my undergrad, but I'm not sure if that matters much when I'd be looking at 200k+ of debt from law school.

Honesty is appreciated.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Why do you want to be a lawyer?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Wasn't that the homeless person who eats bugs ?

Tulane. We had breakfast one time. He ate eggs benedict. (So did I.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Bushido Brown posted:

So, I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools, but I figure I should start getting yelled at now. I've been accepted to a non HYS T14 school (one of CCN, where I doubt I will receive significant money) and I've been accepted to UMN with a partial scholarship. Tuition would be about 10k/year for me at UMN. I realize that neither situation is ideal but which would be my better option. I realize that UMN is a more debt adverse option, but I also think I'd be more likely to get a decent job from CCN. My ideal scenario was going to be a lower T14 with some money, but that is looking less likely as time progresses.

The long term goal is in house counsel at a corporation. I realize this is very difficult to get and would likely require some biglaw experience, which is also difficult to get.

I have no debt from my undergrad, but I'm not sure if that matters much when I'd be looking at 200k+ of debt from law school.

Honesty is appreciated.

Out of curiosity, when did you apply, and are you a splitter or URM? (Regardless of how these factors affect actual admissions, they certainly affect turnaround time.) Are you waitlisted or a bunch of places or is it basically radio silence?

Why do you want to work in-house? Speaking honestly, what is your goal for your first job after law school? If it's biglaw, are you more concerned about how hard it is to get or about how lovely the life is?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

I'm torn between a few different areas, but I know that I do enjoy digging though documents and that I enjoy writing on boring topics. My undergrad degree was in philosophy and I enjoyed the analysis aspect (e.g. What is being said? How can you tear holes in it and explain those holes?) even when it was on topics I loathed.

I also think I could be happy working on the criminal side of things, but I'm under the impression that those jobs are hard to come by as well. At this point, I'd enjoy a job that involved analysis and was challenging. I taught English in Japan for a year, and from that I learned that I'm not happy in job that isn't challenging even if I'm being paid well and have a decent quality of life.

Sulecrist posted:

Out of curiosity, when did you apply, and are you a splitter or URM?

I'm a splitter (non-URM) who applied late (after the Dec. LSAT). I was waitlisted by Michigan, NU and GT, which leads me to be wary about my remaining applications. This is also why I doubt that I'll have much of a shot at money in the T14. I think Michigan was my best bet as far as that's concerned.

Sulecrist posted:

Why do you want to work in-house? Speaking honestly, what is your goal for your first job after law school? If it's biglaw, are you more concerned about how hard it is to get or about how lovely the life is?

I want to work in-house because I realize that biglaw is a short term career goal and I'm trying to look forward. I'm aware that life will likely be pretty lovely, but I have a decent work ethic and family time isn't a concern of mine at this stage of my life. But, my main concern with biglaw is that it is hard to get.

(My largest concern is becoming unable to service my debt because of unemployment.)

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

Fluffykins
Mar 26, 2010
Done with the IL bar. Time to look for jobs that don't exist! At least I am fairly confident I passed.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Bushido Brown posted:

I'm torn between a few different areas, but I know that I do enjoy digging though documents and that I enjoy writing on boring topics. My undergrad degree was in philosophy and I enjoyed the analysis aspect (e.g. What is being said? How can you tear holes in it and explain those holes?) even when it was on topics I loathed.

Not that this thread condones going to law school, but this is a better reason than 98% of people. I spent over 12 hours today looking up random poo poo about securities law for my 60-page paper about the words "payment" and "note".

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Grammar Fascist posted:

Law revue videos are the highlight of law school (don't go to law school): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JFzNpKAnY&context=C3c3285eADOEgsToPDskKnOcbIlqQqPmb6ZHpYGdO5

I know this was two pages ago, but I just saw this and holy poo poo! This is the best thing.

:krad:

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Low income taxpayer clinic, wooh.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Solid Lizzie posted:

Low income taxpayer clinic, wooh.

Is that like VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)? We had that at our school; I kind of enjoyed it.

Btw IRC isn't the same without you!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
I don't know if I'm stealing this from this thread, or somewhere else, but if you want to know if you should be a lawyer, do the following easy self-test:

Take two retail financial products that you use (two credit cards, or two bank accounts, or two student loans, or whatever), and for each, gather all the relevant documentation - the agreement, the terms and conditions, the various terms of service for each feature, like the agreement they make you read when you pay your bill. Now, read through them all and summarize them, without omitting anything. Then, compare the two accounts to each other, and produce a short summary of the differences in the accounts.

If you graduate from law school and are very lucky, the above is what you will get to do for 12 hours a day while being screamed at.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ani posted:

I don't know if I'm stealing this from this thread, or somewhere else, but if you want to know if you should be a lawyer, do the following easy self-test:

Take two retail financial products that you use (two credit cards, or two bank accounts, or two student loans, or whatever), and for each, gather all the relevant documentation - the agreement, the terms and conditions, the various terms of service for each feature, like the agreement they make you read when you pay your bill. Now, read through them all and summarize them, without omitting anything. Then, compare the two accounts to each other, and produce a short summary of the differences in the accounts.

If you graduate from law school and are very lucky, the above is what you will get to do for 12 hours a day while being screamed at.

Maybe that's how it is if you wind up becoming a glorified law clerk at some firm. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the work I do, though.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I hate writing a paper and, with every passing hour, you realize how lovely the topic you picked is, but since you're such a procrastinator, it's too late to change the topic at all.

Now, you're wallowing in self pity because you have a poo poo paper that has no case law or academic research and you're just rambling to take up space. And guess what? You're supposed to make a 15 minute presentation on your paper. Better get those PowerPoint special effects like "Star Wipe" and "Typewriter" ready, because that's the only way you'll be able to engage your "audience".

I hate 3L. I hate law school. I hate life.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I understand why some attorneys become angry guys who yell at everyone now and it's because everyone fucks them over while they're young.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

tau posted:

Btw IRC isn't the same without you!
Law school has ruined me to the point where I can't even be sad and pathetic on the internet much anymore. I have to be sad and pathetic for an hour on my couch loving people up in Fallout 3, then falling asleep.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Ho all. looking for a little career advice.

I'm a Junior at CU, double major in International Affairs (a major which requires 5 semester in a language, I'm doing Spanish) and Economics. Sitting at just over a 3.4 right now, hoping to get that up to 3.5-3.6 by the time it's said and done.

If I can kick rear end on the LSAT, will I have a shot at a top 20 school? If I don't get into a good one, I'm not going.

I have basically no extra curriculars, apart from some on and off restaurant jobs. Hoping I can shape that up a bit in my senior year and bond with a professor, get some solid recommendations in the works. Sadly I was pretty unmotivated for the first ~3 years of undergrad. I'm stuuuupid

Would studying abroad next year hurt me? Somewhere like Argentina/Guatemala. Would I be better off spending that time doing extra curricular stuff/internship?

How is the law program at UNC chapel hill? I am basically guaranteed to get in there if I keep my grades up, because of connections.

appreciate any answers/advice. thanks.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I understand why some attorneys become angry guys who yell at everyone now and it's because everyone fucks them over while they're young.

What's going on buddy?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

What's going on buddy?

The graphic designer blew her deadline to get me a will design (that I gave her out of pity because she told me she was desperate for money and couldn't buy food).

But that's ok, because the client I drew up the will for isn't e-mailing me back.

The corporate litigation guy who wanted me to do some work for him hasn't talked to me in a month.

The class action guy who wanted me to do some work for him hasn't returned my last phone call or e-mail.

The insurance subro guy who called me hasn't contacted me back about the work he was going to pay me an obscene amount of money to do.

My mentor told me to sign up this lady and he'd front the expenses and we'd fee split on a med mal case isn't e-mailing me back.

And the other attorney I'm fee splitting on didn't like the fancy typography and told me to redo all his cases in Times New Roman double-spaced.

I just want to tell them all to go gently caress themselves and I can't. Not yet. Just a rough day and the little poo poo adds up.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 1, 2012

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Just a rough day and the little poo poo adds up.

:glomp: Hope tomorrow is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

hobbez posted:

Ho all. looking for a little career advice.

I'm a Junior at CU, double major in International Affairs (a major which requires 5 semester in a language, I'm doing Spanish) and Economics. Sitting at just over a 3.4 right now, hoping to get that up to 3.5-3.6 by the time it's said and done.

If I can kick rear end on the LSAT, will I have a shot at a top 20 school? If I don't get into a good one, I'm not going.

I have basically no extra curriculars, apart from some on and off restaurant jobs. Hoping I can shape that up a bit in my senior year and bond with a professor, get some solid recommendations in the works. Sadly I was pretty unmotivated for the first ~3 years of undergrad. I'm stuuuupid

Would studying abroad next year hurt me? Somewhere like Argentina/Guatemala. Would I be better off spending that time doing extra curricular stuff/internship?

How is the law program at UNC chapel hill? I am basically guaranteed to get in there if I keep my grades up, because of connections.

appreciate any answers/advice. thanks.

If you get higher than a 170, you'll be ok for the T14.

Also, which CU?