Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

That makes a lot of sense. It takes more brain to ride a bike than to drive a car. You could probably achieve some a similar change by spending your time with other cognitive training, but given the same life and a difference in commuting vehicles, the bike rider gets more noggin work done.

I think many other CA posters will agree with me when I say riding a bike has made me a better car driver. Since I am more exposed to risk and I have more options, I am observing the behavior of other vehicles more and I'm making more decisions, which means more brain exercise. If I stopped riding bikes I would behave more like cars do, sitting in the train of traffic like a train car and responding to much simpler cues.

Ergo cagers are dumb apes, bikers are elevated beings.

I wish I could find the stats that showed that dual licensed drivers were something insane like 93% less likely to be involved in an accident. I've been regretting not saving that link for forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

I wish I could find the stats that showed that dual licensed drivers were something insane like 93% less likely to be involved in an accident. I've been regretting not saving that link for forever.

I would love to read that.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

That makes a lot of sense. It takes more brain to ride a bike than to drive a car. You could probably achieve some a similar change by spending your time with other cognitive training, but given the same life and a difference in commuting vehicles, the bike rider gets more noggin work done.

I think many other CA posters will agree with me when I say riding a bike has made me a better car driver. Since I am more exposed to risk and I have more options, I am observing the behavior of other vehicles more and I'm making more decisions, which means more brain exercise. If I stopped riding bikes I would behave more like cars do, sitting in the train of traffic like a train car and responding to much simpler cues.

Ergo cagers are dumb apes, bikers are elevated beings.

Riding a bike has definitely made me more aware and cautious as a driver. It also makes me lose it when I see people on motorcycles behaving like Mootmoot. It's dangerous enough to ride, but lane splitting on a rainy 2 lane highway between oncoming and a flowing traffic at +30mph over the speed of traffic is stupid. I actually almost got into an altercation with a guy that was doing this and then stopped at the grocery store.

I told him what a dipshit he was for riding like that and he gave me shpeel about how it was safer to go faster than traffic. Which I agree'd with but differed on how much faster. Apparently 120mph was a safe speed for a 2 lane non divided 55mph highway with driveways according to him. It basically boiled down to him calling me a retarded driver in a stupid truck and me telling him if I ever saw it again I'd have the cops on him since I had his plates and there aren't to many 1098's with dual Termignoni exhausts in the area.

About 6 months later I'd gotten the Honda and was riding it home from work when I saw flashing lights up ahead and traffic stopped. They waved each side through in small groups and I got to see what looked like the remains of a bike attached to a Honda's driver side bumper. I don't know if it was the same guy, there wasn't enough bike left to tell. Apparently he survived, although I don't know what kind of shape he was "surviving" in.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

When driving a car I consider myself to be a traffic flow engineer. There's nothing more beautiful than finding someone else who doesn't like start-and-stop in heavy traffic and managing a buffer together. :allears:

I also enjoy playing what I think of as "submarine warfare." Highway patrol needs to get an angle on you to hit you with radar, so there are ways to use other vehicles to ensure that even if they're waiting for you, they won't get a clean shot with the radar gun. Similarly, you can change lanes to avoid getting tagged from behind. If you monitor your rear-view mirror, you can also usually pick out a trailing police car by the way they change lanes as they prowl through traffic at 10mph over.

If all else fails, I flip the LCD info panel on my Saab to MPG and go for a high score.

So anyway, there are lots of ways to keep your mind active while driving.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MotoMind posted:

So anyway, there are lots of ways to keep your mind active while driving.

There are but 95% or more of the people driving have no incentive to stay active while driving. They spend the time thinking about anything other than the current task and are just looking forward to being done with it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, the problem with trying to keep your mind active while driving a car though, is that you pretty much just end up distracting yourself from the task at hand. Good for your brain, but probably makes you a worse driver.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The speeds are crucial to lane splitting safety. When housesitting at my mom's, I split against oncoming traffic on the commute. My rule is not faster than 40 mph in the split and not if traffic is moving at 30 mph or more. There's buses and trucks coming at me, but with enough time to observe and act, that's no problem. The amount of time I have is decided by how far ahead I can look, which I can't change, and my speed, which I can. If I have to go 50 mph to split past traffic moving at 30, a truck suddenly appearing is a crisis. If my lane is stationary and I'm doing 30, I can comfortably brake to zero in two car lengths and it's easy to pop in and out of the split as I judge gaps and oncoming traffic.

If I was in a car I would be pondering the smell of my own farts.

If you're splitting in lanes moving in one direction, you're not as safe as you think. Someone changing lanes without signalling gives you a lot less warning than oncoming traffic. But I completely concede hitting the back of a car moving in the same direction hurts a lot less than hitting a semi coming in the opposite.

Also, I propose the following CA motto: "Scoot! Don't Moot."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The biggest benefits that have carried over to my car driving are a hyper-awareness of blind spots (and staying out of them) and almost never being surprised by the behavior of other cars. Riding got me in the habit of thinking, "What is the dumbest thing that car could do right now?" and fully expecting them to do it.

It also got me in the habit of constantly moving faster than traffic, as my fear of being rear-ended has carried over, too. This is not good (for my driving record).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm also a much safer driver since I've been street riding. I think more about the risks around me on the road. Growing up dirt riding, I never had to give any thought to traffic or really any other person but myself, and my first few years of driving a car involved some pretty stupid stuff.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

epswing posted:

Couple jobs back, I'd take to the train or drive to the office about 40km away (1 hour commute). Some days the only way I knew I drove to work that day was because my car keys were on my desk. As in I literally could not remember driving for an hour that morning :v:

That's a self preservation method.
If your brain recalled sitting in a car, in traffic, for an hour enough times, it self destructs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know how you guys can say you are better drivers now that you ride, I'm far far far worse since I got a bike. Anytime I'm behind the wheel these days I'm about as calm as a sugar-addled 5 year old with anger issues who's had his lollipop taken away.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last weekend I took the enduros up to some gray area powerline right-of-way for some splashing in the mud. Been going there for a few weeks and I always leave it cleaner than I find it by tossing trash I find in a bag and dumping it at the gas station on the way home. This time I decided to explore some of the trails in the woods and oh my god, so much dumping.

I was considering the logistics of taking my empty truck up with some poo poo clothes and work gloves and just cleaning up as much as I can, but there's so much trash and I assume as soon as I truck it out, it will be replaced. Plus it's not exactly a legit area to ride, so even if I did that in the interest of preserving a decent spot to buzz around, it probably wouldn't make any difference in the long run.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Where's that :cryingindian: smiley? :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't know how you guys can say you are better drivers now that you ride, I'm far far far worse since I got a bike. Anytime I'm behind the wheel these days I'm about as calm as a sugar-addled 5 year old with anger issues who's had his lollipop taken away.

I found the same thing, it's horrible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I was like this for years, after doing a bunch of track time and racing I have a sort of zen, unflappable "the road is filled with loving idiots and I just want to get where I'm going safely" mentality. I can't even speed on the street anymore. 75 seems so mundane when youve gotten used to doing 110+ regularly.

However, god forbid I get on a supersport on the street, because I have to repeatedly drive home that it's not ok to pretend I'm running the US event for the Isle of Man TT. The straights are just so long on the street!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

There are barely any corners on my route, so it's very boring. And I travel on roads with 80km/hr speed limits and a couple of fixed traps.

And sometimes I'm thinking "Thank gently caress I only have a 250cc bike." for two reasons:

1) Fuel consumption on this thing is great!
2) Riding anything bigger (say, 600cc) on my route, I'd be in first gear the whole way. :v: I WANT TO USE THE OTHER GEARS.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

And yet I've wrecked twice as many times since I've been riding. :v:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll get this too, sometimes. It takes a conscious effort to chill out when it gets bad. I'll blame it on the additional mental activity, I guess? I'm much more susceptible to noticing (and reacting to, at least to myself) even minor bad/careless driving by others. And if I have to sit in traffic for more than about 10 minutes I get REAL antsy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I was like this long before I started riding. I write it up as a consequence of learning how to drive by playing Need For Speed. If I've been riding the bike a lot it chills me out when I drive (and conversely, by the end of the winter I'm ready to chew through my steering wheel.)

MotoMind posted:

When driving a car I consider myself to be a traffic flow engineer. There's nothing more beautiful than finding someone else who doesn't like start-and-stop in heavy traffic and managing a buffer together. :allears:

I also enjoy playing what I think of as "submarine warfare." Highway patrol needs to get an angle on you to hit you with radar, so there are ways to use other vehicles to ensure that even if they're waiting for you, they won't get a clean shot with the radar gun. Similarly, you can change lanes to avoid getting tagged from behind. If you monitor your rear-view mirror, you can also usually pick out a trailing police car by the way they change lanes as they prowl through traffic at 10mph over.

If all else fails, I flip the LCD info panel on my Saab to MPG and go for a high score.

In long trips I do all of these as well, although instead of a submarine I think of it as a terrain-hugging aircraft. ~~swoosh~~

The alertness required by motorcycling does wonders to exercise your spatial reasoning, but sucking tailpipe fumes in traffic has been shown to be nastily unhealthy to the brain, so keep that in mind if you're on congested / diesel-heavy routes.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Who here uses a bike as their only mode of transport? I've got an '04 Ford Ranger that I haven't driven in almost 6 months. I pretty much gave it to my wife who uses it for her job a little and to pick up "treasure" on the side of the road.

I've got a rain-suit, a cold weather outfit and a warm weather outfit and I dress in layers while riding. My main issue is when it drops to 30f or lower. My helmet (Suomy Vandal) lets in an ungodly amount of air. I wear a balaclava, and it helps but my head/face still freeze when it's really cold out.

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping some of the wind/cold air out of the helmet?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Who here uses a bike as their only mode of transport? I've got an '04 Ford Ranger that I haven't driven in almost 6 months. I pretty much gave it to my wife who uses it for her job a little and to pick up "treasure" on the side of the road.

I've got a rain-suit, a cold weather outfit and a warm weather outfit and I dress in layers while riding. My main issue is when it drops to 30f or lower. My helmet (Suomy Vandal) lets in an ungodly amount of air. I wear a balaclava, and it helps but my head/face still freeze when it's really cold out.

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping some of the wind/cold air out of the helmet?

Chin curtain thing came with my helmet, think you can get aftermarket diy ones also. I actually find my helmet a little too warm sometimes, so I don't bother with balaclava ever. Is your helmet a touch too big?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've got a Shoei Qwest with chin curtain, a balaclava, and my jacket has a collar, and have ridden down to around 15F or so with no problems. If I take out the chin curtain though, a ton of air gets in and I can imagine it would be pretty cold, so I'd see if the Vandal has one you can add.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

_Dav posted:

Chin curtain thing came with my helmet, think you can get aftermarket diy ones also. I actually find my helmet a little too warm sometimes, so I don't bother with balaclava ever. Is your helmet a touch too big?

The helmet fits fine, it can't come off my head and is actually fairly snug. I swear it feels like wind is actually coming in by where the visor is.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The helmet fits fine, it can't come off my head and is actually fairly snug. I swear it feels like wind is actually coming in by where the visor is.

Are you sure you don't have a vent open, or possibly broken? There should be a rubber gasket around the viewing port that forms a seal with the visor, but if that's come loose it could also be letting air in.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Can anyone in the North Georgia/Highlands/Franklin, NC area comment on how stupid trying to get some riding in will be if I'm heading up there from Friday-Tuesday. Weather looks like rain on Saturday but then clear Sunday and Monday with highs between 45-50. I know its going to be cold but I won't get another opportunity to be up there for a really long time, and the roads up there are just so much fun.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Who here uses a bike as their only mode of transport?

I use my motorcycle as my only motored transportation and my bicycle as my main way of getting around the local area. Like you, I can only ride comfortably down to about 30* F or so. I can go a bit colder on the bicycle because the activity keeps my body heat up and there's less wind chill with the lower speeds.

I also don't really own any legit winter gear, though. I have a (perforated) one piece suit, a bunch of random athletic synthetic clothing, and some wool stuff. The only saving grace for me are my heated grips. The grips let me wear my 3-season gloves in the winter.

For the neck and face area I do a balaclava and a fleece neck gaiter. It's been so nice this winter, though, that it really hasn't been a struggle riding through it, even in traditionally lovely New England.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

sw0cb posted:

Can anyone in the North Georgia/Highlands/Franklin, NC area comment on how stupid trying to get some riding in will be if I'm heading up there from Friday-Tuesday. Weather looks like rain on Saturday but then clear Sunday and Monday with highs between 45-50. I know its going to be cold but I won't get another opportunity to be up there for a really long time, and the roads up there are just so much fun.
Should be fine. The roads up in that area are pretty clean. I was up there last Thursday and did Blood Mountain (US129/19), GA 17/75 (Unicoi Gap), GA 180, GA 197, Warwoman Road, GA/NC 28, and Deal's Gap (US129). GA 180 and GA/NC 28 have some gravel but other than that everything else is good. Deal's Gap was COMPLETELY clean, which is a surprise. So you may want to head up that way if you're feeling frisky.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

Should be fine. The roads up in that area are pretty clean. I was up there last Thursday and did Blood Mountain (US129/19), GA 17/75 (Unicoi Gap), GA 180, GA 197, Warwoman Road, GA/NC 28, and Deal's Gap (US129). GA 180 and GA/NC 28 have some gravel but other than that everything else is good. Deal's Gap was COMPLETELY clean, which is a surprise. So you may want to head up that way if you're feeling frisky.

Have you run wolfpen gap from Dale's? I can never remember the road numbers but I used to do that loop every weekend sometimes more than once. almost 40 miles of twisties...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

My bike is my only form of transport though i live close enough to the city that i can walk most places when I'm not commuting to work. Giving thought to buying a cheap car though as i hate riding in the rain (probably a lot to do with my rain gear being so loving annoying to put on)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Have you run wolfpen gap from Dale's? I can never remember the road numbers but I used to do that loop every weekend sometimes more than once. almost 40 miles of twisties...
Yeah wolfpen is 180. I'm not gonna lie, I really hate that road. Full of tarsnakes, huge dips in the pavement, gravel, 10mph hairpins, and straight dropoffs. My buddy on a goddamn VFR will go up there and drag knee on that road. Absolutely insane.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

Yeah wolfpen is 180. I'm not gonna lie, I really hate that road. Full of tarsnakes, huge dips in the pavement, gravel, 10mph hairpins, and straight dropoffs. My buddy on a goddamn VFR will go up there and drag knee on that road. Absolutely insane.

Ahhh, good ol' wolf pen, I never got to ride it though. There's a road near here that's a lot like it. It's so much fun on the durz! :neckbeard:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Aargh posted:

My bike is my only form of transport though i live close enough to the city that i can walk most places when I'm not commuting to work. Giving thought to buying a cheap car though as i hate riding in the rain (probably a lot to do with my rain gear being so loving annoying to put on)

Sounds like an excuse for better rain gear! I've got an Olympia 2-piece setup, and with the rain liners in the jacket & pants, it takes a serious downpour before I start to get any leakage. The only downside is that the liner is inside the jacket/pants, so the cordura outside soaks up water, and takes a bit to dry out. Normally I can ride in a light rain without the liner in the pants or jacket, and still make it to work dry.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I do! I only use my car for going to the gym because my motorcycle unfortunately does not have storage space yet (and my car only costs me about $15/month to insure so it's not really worth getting rid of in case I am pressed with a truly dangerous riding condition)

Cycle Gear had these Freeze-Out collars you can put around your neck for ~$10 or so a few months ago. If they still have them, they work great for cold weather; I sometimes have to bust it out in addition to my balaclava. Another option is to duct-tape a plastic grocery bag around the base of your helmet and your jacket. You can make it sort of a local fad and all your bike buddies can rep their favorite grocers (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Safeway, etc) while riding too if the embarrassment seethes to great from your pores

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

PitViper posted:

Sounds like an excuse for better rain gear! I've got an Olympia 2-piece setup, and with the rain liners in the jacket & pants, it takes a serious downpour before I start to get any leakage. The only downside is that the liner is inside the jacket/pants, so the cordura outside soaks up water, and takes a bit to dry out. Normally I can ride in a light rain without the liner in the pants or jacket, and still make it to work dry.

Yeah i've been looking at some new gear. Realisticly I need a pair of almost waterproof pants and I've got a Dririder jacket that has a similar liner to what you describe. Mostly its because i prefer my leather jacket and draggin jeans and that means my wet weather solution is a onesy which is an absolute bitch to put on and wear.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, Freeze Out stuff is still 50% off and it's actually in stock now too.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Balaclava, a nice down jacket or vest (with collar), and if life still sucks, a scarf. Most of the issue you're going to get is related to cold air streaming down your jacket, or past your neck and through your helmet. There are helmet curtains, but I've found that nearly all the off-brand products in the aftermarket for that are not durable.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 2, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I shelled out for a high-end Dainese gore-tex textile jacket with liner and it does an excellent job keeping me warm and dry. I wear a thin merino wool turtleneck underneath, and my OR balaclava that I usually just wear around my neck. There are still some days that I wish I had a heated vest, but not many this winter. My D-dry pants are getting a bit tired and will seep in heavy rain, but it takes monsoon conditions to finally get through the liner. I wear those with longjohns underneath and my legs are always warm. It helps that my commute is only 10 miles. Also, despite being canadian, I'm a self confessed wuss when it comes to cold. I was always the first to break out the parka while everyone else was shivering in their fall jackets calling me a baby. Yes... a warm, toasty baby.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Yeah, Freeze Out stuff is still 50% off and it's actually in stock now too.

Sadly it's absolute poo poo.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Bought my pristine-condition '05 Ninja 636 for $4500 in August, and got the exact same sum in hand last night for the sale of the bike (no negotiations, even). Woot.

Today I'm finally off to Phoenix to teach my good friend how to ride my old K5 SV650! 4 days of glorious warm weather and motorcycles!!!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Motorcycles are awesome. They take the most mundane things like heading out to pick up a decent 6-pack and turn them into sheer fantastic for no other reason than a motorcycle being involved.

I just needed to gush. :allears:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Quite A Tool posted:

Motorcycles are awesome. They take the most mundane things like heading out to pick up a decent 6-pack and turn them into sheer fantastic for no other reason than a motorcycle being involved.

I just needed to gush. :allears:

It's cool man! They have these lovely little wheelie indicators in my grocery stores lot, so thoughtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

^^^ It seriously makes life an adventure. The only things I can really compare riding to are is those stoner comics online. The main reason I got a bike was because I wanted something that wouldn't lose acceleration going up hills (although I'll always love my Volvo 240) but there's something endearing about riding around that hydraulic catapult chair from Richie Rich all the time

Just got my '99 SV650 rejetted and tuned up. It starts with a push of a button and doesn't even need the choke on ~65 degree days. :coal: Oh and don't let anyone fool you: These bikes are stupid fast. Even when anemic and pig rich my bike was out-accelerating pretty much every car on the freeway and now it's just plain silly. Having to hold onto the handle bars and squeeze my thighs when I'm already doing 65 is just silly, silly I tell you.