Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Kenning posted:

Tossing out the occasional failed meal is the price of learning how to cook

Eating a failed meal is the price of learning how to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RazorBunny posted:

I made the mistake of leaving my marble rolling pin out, so when my kid did the dishes he decided to be helpful and put it away. He knew it went on top of the fridge, so he just stuck it up there...facing out. It has a cradle to keep it from rolling around, but he ignored it.

This morning he opened the freezer and hey, guess what? The rolling pin rolled off the top of the fridge.

He's lucky he didn't break his head open. I think it glanced off his foot, no broken bones. The handle shattered, and I was too upset to look at the stone and make sure it was okay.

I just... :argh:

And of course his attitude is that it's just a rolling pin, I can get a new one on Amazon for like sixteen bucks. My mom owned this rolling pin and a matching marble pastry board years before I was even born, it has sentimental value as well as being a damned fine tool.

When I get home from work I will assess the damage and decide if it's just a matter of gluing the handle back together or if there's more damage than that. I really hate to have to replace it :( Plus I just really hate the careless attitude that destroying something doesn't matter as long as you can get a new one.

The handle broke off mine years ago, but I still use it. It's just a big cylinder of marble with a hole down the middle - it's not like you really need the handles.

Glad the kid's okay.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

That would be an interesting thing to have to explain to his father, though. "I swear I didn't hit him with it, he did it to himself!"

I'm calm now. If the marble is damaged, I'm buying one of the Vic Firth ones.

I do have a question for the thread, though. Is there a type of potato that will stand up to spending the whole day in the crock pot? I want to make beef stew, but I normally add the potatoes in late in the cooking process. I feel like if I "set it and forget it" the potatoes will turn to total mush. I don't want to have to add the potatoes when I get home, because they wouldn't be ready for a while longer.

My other thought is to cook the potatoes separately and just toss them into the stew a few minutes before we eat to warm them back up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Turkeybone posted:

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT LIFE SKILL!!!!

Seriously, at the restaurant many instructions were simply "cook like a scallop." I'd go and buy scallops and post a video if I had time. You want a decent amount of oil, and for the pan (gently caress non-stick.. the best ones we had were stainless steel that could hold some heat) to be hot -- the oil should be just barely smoking. Then add your scallops and lower the heat to about mid. It's about heat management now -- you want a good even browning (which is why you need sufficient oil) without burning.. you should definitely see the color coming up the edge a little. Flip it when it's sufficiently brown, and do the same or slightly less (mediumish in the middle is the preferred method). Flip only once, dont move them around or shake them unless absolutely necessary.

Once you master this, you can pretty much cook any fish, too.
The only thing I'd add to any of this is that duck fat is a really great fat for searing scallops. I'd use it over olive oil any day of the week, unless you want to keep the scallop flavour isolated for some other reason. But then I'd probably go with a more neutral oil like canola anyway. I really wouldn't use olive for searing anything; it starts to lose that distinctive olive-y flavour at a fairly low temperature (way below the smoke point) and either just becomes bland---in which case you might as well have used a neutral oil in the first place---or it gets this weird plastic flavour. If you've got a bunch of other poo poo going on flavourwise this isn't that big of a deal---so if you're like sweating some onion or garlic or whatever---but with something that's got a clean, fairly delicate flavour like scallops I'd be careful with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vomik posted:

Eating a failed meal is the price of learning how to cook.

I meant a well and truly failed meal. Burnt, inedible, over-spiced, foul. I don't consider it a failed meal if it's still pretty much food. Then it's just a not-as-good-as-possible meal.

RazorBunny posted:

I do have a question for the thread, though. Is there a type of potato that will stand up to spending the whole day in the crock pot? I want to make beef stew, but I normally add the potatoes in late in the cooking process. I feel like if I "set it and forget it" the potatoes will turn to total mush. I don't want to have to add the potatoes when I get home, because they wouldn't be ready for a while longer.

My other thought is to cook the potatoes separately and just toss them into the stew a few minutes before we eat to warm them back up.

Fingerling potatoes stay firm and tasty a loooooot longer than russets. Dunno it they're an all day potato though.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Can anyone recommend a basic cookbook? Basic as in "you're finally ready to move on from the George Foreman grill and actually do some prep work that's more than thawing a piece of meat in the sink for four hours?"

Most of my cooking experience comes from reading the direction on the back of a box. I'd like to change that.

I'm a big fan of The Joy of Cooking. It has great descriptions and explanations of various techniques and ingredients. A lot of the recipes are a little dated but I find it to be a great reference, especially for baking.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I do have a question for the thread, though. Is there a type of potato that will stand up to spending the whole day in the crock pot?

Baby red potatoes will work fine. Yukon golds will also do well. Russets will turn to mush as you've already found out but the other two potatoes will stand up to much longer-term cooking without losing cohesion.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Splizwarf posted:

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for the practice.
On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee for the theory and a wealth of background.

I just bought the How to Cook Everything app for my iPad, and I LOVE it. It has the entire text of the book with all of the recipes, is searchable, cross-referenced, updates, was cheaper, and doesn't weight 50lbs.

Example: I search for "lentils" and get a list of recipes. I select a soup recipe and it lists stock as an ingredient, with a link. Clicked and it opens to the stock recipe in a new column (so you can still see the previous recipe). It says to chop an onion, and you can click THAT to get a popup on the best way to chop an onion.

It also has clickable timers whenever it says to cook something for X amount of time, and the timers are labeled so you remember WTF you were timing, and will still go off if the app is closed.

Best $10 ever spent.

I agree that it does look like a lot of the recipes may be underseasoned/spiced, but it's still looking to be a very useful guide for someone who doesn't know the basics that good cooks take for granted.

EVG fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 29, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

Baby red potatoes will work fine. Yukon golds will also do well. Russets will turn to mush as you've already found out but the other two potatoes will stand up to much longer-term cooking without losing cohesion.

Thanks. I think I'll get smaller ones too so I don't need to cut them, that seems to be part of the problem.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

This ground pork I buy from a specific market is weird. It feels very grainy when raw, and grainy when cooked. I've worked the meat to try and get it to bind, and have added cornstarch or egg, but nothing works. What is going on?

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

squigadoo posted:

This ground pork I buy from a specific market is weird. It feels very grainy when raw, and grainy when cooked. I've worked the meat to try and get it to bind, and have added cornstarch or egg, but nothing works. What is going on?

What's happening is that you're still giving money to a specific market for a product you don't like.

Stop doing that thing.

Try buying your meat from somewhere else. If you want to get real adventurous, try grinding your own. Though that's cost prohibitive unless you're eating a lot of it, have a chest freezer, or the equipment to do it.
Basically, if you don't like what you're spending money on now, stop spending the money.

If you want a report on the meat, well I don't know what to tell you. You've already said you personally don't like it, so what would someone else reviewing it have to offer? "It sucks?"

You don't like it, but you do like ground pork. Go out adventuring. Pork adventuring.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I have some leftover chicken wing trimmings from a weekend snack, and I'm not sure what to do with them. There's not a lot of meat left on the joint bone area, but add it all up and it's a fair amount of chicken...

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

wasey posted:

I have some leftover chicken wing trimmings from a weekend snack, and I'm not sure what to do with them. There's not a lot of meat left on the joint bone area, but add it all up and it's a fair amount of chicken...

Stock.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I have half-a-pound of anise. What on earth can I do with it? I've never used it before.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Brennanite posted:

I have half-a-pound of anise. What on earth can I do with it? I've never used it before.

Braise a beef, make a pho

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Brennanite posted:

Anise like, fennel? anise seeds? star anise?

This time of year salad with raw shaved fennel and orange would be nice. There's good recipes out there for braised anise, too.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brennanite posted:

Absinthe would work out, but you'll need some other herbs and spices.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

squigadoo posted:

I'd echo what I see that there said, and add this little tidbit:

Ground pork is not regulated/graded/restricted/labeled the same way that ground beef is. Ground beef has a specific ratio of meat to fat printed on the label, usually anything from 80/20 to 95/5 (I think premade frozen patties can be as bad as 75/25). Ground pork isn't labeled the same way, ever, because it is not required to do so. There is nothing stopping a cheap butcher from selling "ground pork" that could be 50/50.

So, either change brands, change stores, or buy and grind your own (Food processor will give you acceptable results as opposed to a dedicated grinder). If nothing else though, stop giving this guy/brand/store your money.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Most butchers will grind meat for you if you ask. Just buy a cut of pork with the meat/fat ratio you want and ask nicely.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I'd echo what I see that there said, and add this little tidbit:

Ground pork is not regulated/graded/restricted/labeled the same way that ground beef is. Ground beef has a specific ratio of meat to fat printed on the label, usually anything from 80/20 to 95/5 (I think premade frozen patties can be as bad as 75/25). Ground pork isn't labeled the same way, ever, because it is not required to do so. There is nothing stopping a cheap butcher from selling "ground pork" that could be 50/50.

So, either change brands, change stores, or buy and grind your own (Food processor will give you acceptable results as opposed to a dedicated grinder). If nothing else though, stop giving this guy/brand/store your money.

Wroughtirony posted:

Most butchers will grind meat for you if you ask. Just buy a cut of pork with the meat/fat ratio you want and ask nicely.

Thank you. That was more helpful. Next time I will try to ask the butcher at the Asian market to grind my pork. Non-asian markets near me tend to not carry much pork.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

squigadoo posted:

Thank you. That was more helpful. Next time I will try to ask the butcher at the Asian market to grind my pork. Non-asian markets near me tend to not carry much pork.

Definitely ask them to. My butcher does it for me when I want the beef/veal/pork combo for meatballs and they're out of ground veal.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I have 3 chicken carcasses from roasted birds, a couple lbs of chicken wings (raw), carrots, celery, onions, and an entire cupboard of dried herbs from Penzeys.

How do I turn this into delicious chicken stock? Looking for amounts of herbs, water, etc because I've never done this before. I do have a crockpot but it is making pulled pork right now, but if it's still the best way to go I can do the stock overnight tonight.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

EVG posted:

I have 3 chicken carcasses from roasted birds, a couple lbs of chicken wings (raw), carrots, celery, onions, and an entire cupboard of dried herbs from Penzeys.

How do I turn this into delicious chicken stock? Looking for amounts of herbs, water, etc because I've never done this before. I do have a crockpot but it is making pulled pork right now, but if it's still the best way to go I can do the stock overnight tonight.

Here's what I have used in the past for making stock. Its about half the way down the page, but the article above is worth a read (why you should not leave stock out on the stove top)

http://ruhlman.com/2011/08/stock-clarifications/

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

One of my friends is ordering pastured beef and pork from these folks and I'm getting in on that action. I asked for the bones, since she didn't want them, and I'll be getting the pig's cheeks. I hear that braised pork cheek is simply amazing.

The next available slaughter date is in April, so I've got a bit of a wait, but man am I looking forward to filling my freezer with this stuff.

Would anybody be interested in a thread about buying local meat like this, when the time comes? Or, is there already a thread and I'm just not finding it?

Hollin Farms also does pick-your-own fruit and vegetables, and is just generally an awesome place. If you're in driving distance of Delaplane (northern Virginia), you should definitely check them out during their picking season.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

One of my friends is ordering pastured beef and pork from these folks and I'm getting in on that action. I asked for the bones, since she didn't want them, and I'll be getting the pig's cheeks. I hear that braised pork cheek is simply amazing.

The next available slaughter date is in April, so I've got a bit of a wait, but man am I looking forward to filling my freezer with this stuff.

Would anybody be interested in a thread about buying local meat like this, when the time comes? Or, is there already a thread and I'm just not finding it?

Hollin Farms also does pick-your-own fruit and vegetables, and is just generally an awesome place. If you're in driving distance of Delaplane (northern Virginia), you should definitely check them out during their picking season.

I'd like to see such a thread.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Anise like, fennel? anise seeds? star anise?

This time of year salad with raw shaved fennel and orange would be nice. There's good recipes out there for braised anise, too.

Anise seeds. I don't know if that changes the recommendations any.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Phummus posted:

Here's what I have used in the past for making stock. Its about half the way down the page, but the article above is worth a read (why you should not leave stock out on the stove top)

I have a jar of home-made duck stock that has been sitting in my fridge for two months, this article has me worried, should I throw it out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cowcatcher posted:

I have a jar of home-made duck stock that has been sitting in my fridge for two months, this article has me worried, should I throw it out?

Probably. Some things can still grow at fridge temperatures, and stock is a pretty ideal medium for bacterial growth. I don't keep stock in my fridge longer than a week.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Phummus posted:

When I was googling around, most of the recipes I flipped through said that in addition to the bones I should also add sme raw met such as wings or it wouldn't have much chicken flavor. I went and bought wings for this purpose, was that unnecessary? If also using wings, would I still follow the same recipe, or do I need to cook longer or differently becaus of the raw meat?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

When I was googling around, most of the recipes I flipped through said that in addition to the bones I should also add sme raw met such as wings or it wouldn't have much chicken flavor. I went and bought wings for this purpose, was that unnecessary? If also using wings, would I still follow the same recipe, or do I need to cook longer or differently becaus of the raw meat?

Meat is good, it gives the stock flavor. If you're using whole wings, that's pretty ideal because you get flavorful meat along with a lot of gelatin from the collagen in the wing tips.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but...
Would anyone eat a big piece of pork loin that was salted heavily then left out on the counter in a cool (mid-50s) room for about an hour, then put back in the fridge last night?
Uncovered.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

How long does duck fat last in the fridge?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm seeing about 6 months online, up to around a year in the freezer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but...
Would anyone eat a big piece of pork loin that was salted heavily then left out on the counter in a cool (mid-50s) room for about an hour, then put back in the fridge last night?
Uncovered.

If it were only left out an hour, yes. You don't want it to spend more than 4 hours total in the danger zone. Given the short period of time and relatively cool room, I would be ok with it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
How long does it take for a can of opened coconut milk to go bad?

I don't find much use for it, and basically sprinkle it on everything. But there's so much left, ugh. I think I opened it 5 days ago.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

midnightclimax posted:

I don't find much use for it, and basically sprinkle it on everything. But there's so much left, ugh. I think I opened it 5 days ago.

I learned the hard way that it only lasts about 3~5 days in the fridge. It freezes beautifully, though. Freeze it in an ice cube tray or muffin tin so that you can just grab a little bit each time.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

midnightclimax posted:

Make coconut curry chicken, quick!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn't coconut milk $1 at most stores? Toss it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Going back to browning in a pan: if I fill a pan to brown say, chicken breasts, should I add more oil to the pan when I flip them? The second side seems to stick more than the first. Or is it about the temp? I try to have just smoking oil.

Also, is there a strategy for keeping the fond from burning if I have to do two batches in the same pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drink and Fight posted:

Cold or hot rendered? If it's hot rendered---like you roasted a duck and saved the schmaltz yourself---the bits of things other than fat in it will cause it to go rancid in a month or two.

Cold rendered fat---like if you buy a tub of duck fat at the grocer's---will last pretty much forever. If and when it goes south it'll probably be because something starts growing on it. Figure around a year, assuming your fridge is maintaining temperature correctly.

In either case unless it has stuff growing on it or smells like death it should be good to go.