Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Always did like Donald. Apparently he can communicate nonverbally with Anja? Mysterious guy. And perceptive.

I was wondering about that myself. I'd been thinking it was Mr and Mrs Donlan just knowing each other very well, but that really doesn't fit. Huh.

Edit: Pretty sure .Z. has it.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Always did like Donald. Apparently he can communicate nonverbally with Anja? Mysterious guy. And perceptive.

Nothing special about the non-verbal commmunication in this case. He spent Monday's and today's comic watching Annie and noticed her hands. When Anja followed his gaze she would have also noticed the white knuckles of Annie making tight fists.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm not the best at avatars, but...just sayin'.

Also :stare:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Walker posted:

Why is he the one to deal with an Annie who looks like she may melt down very soon? Based on his body language from the past two panels I'd guess he knows something about what Annie's father has been up to.

The Dolans probably consider themselves as the closest thing Annie has to parents now. By getting Egs and Kat out of the room they can talk with her properly, which wouldn't be the case with them there.

I really like them as characters. Donald's always been awkward and timid in demeanor, and even now you can see he doesn't know what to tell Annie exactly, trying to balance his speech between concerned and professional, but he has to say something because in his head Annie's a little girl and they feel responsible for her. Not to mention their ability to communicate all of this non-verbally, something unique to real couples. They are absolutely adorable.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 29, 2012

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the tense change between the two text boxes is intentional, or just a grammatical error. The first text box is written in the past tense, but then the second one abruptly changes to present tense. Am I the only one who found this jarring?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
She was in the middle of saying something, but she just (i.e., just a second ago) glanced to her husband. Then, she promptly ushers everyone out of the room. I just read it as Annie's narration catching up to the moment of the page. V:shobon:V

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I seem to recall Tom saying at some point outside the comic that Anthony was closer to Donald than any of the other people in the photo. If that's true, it would make Donald best qualified to discuss it with Annie given Eglamore's obvious bias.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ya, pretty sure the silent communication here is just keen observation between Anja and Donald.

That said, we knew Annie was upset, but ow!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bongo Bill posted:

Pretty sure that's just the result of being married for so long.

"Oh, Donny has that look in his eyes. He's got a plan, let me help him out by giving him some space."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ya, pretty sure the silent communication here is just keen observation between Anja and Donald.

That said, we knew Annie was upset, but ow!

Not to mention, look how she's sitting. You could calibrate rulers on her back!

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Dodgeball posted:

A more... elegant explanation.

I mean, she's PART fire elemental, like maybe 1/512th...

I always imagine Coyote's voice as very genuine & jovial, like Jerry Jewell's interpretation of Barry the Chopper in either of the american FMLs; disregarding that character's clear insanity, of course.

EDIT: Tense update, but I sense relief and revelation in the page to come.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 29, 2012

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
That giant crack in the wall is gone. I guess it was just a symbolic crack after all.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
:stare: This update. I love the last two panels. The redness of the hands with the white knuckles and the nail imprints. You can tell mentally she was being Carver like and analyzing everything from an observational standpoint while deep down her mothers/fire spirit side was reaching Phoenix Saga levels.

I'm really interested in what Donald and Anja have to say to Annie. They both have shown that they really care for her even if they aren't being completely open with her about some of the stuff in the past.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I couldn't help but wince when I saw Annie's hand in the last panel. Done that a few times myself by accident, and it always hurt like hell after.

Anyway, this probably means that we'll get a look into Donald's character? I'm excited for that, since he seems pretty interesting.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

So I see that The Court sources their computer equipment from the same place as TV law dramas

ENHANCE

The Court makes that stuff. Where else do you think it all comes from?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Pretty sure that's just the result of being married for so long.

"Oh, Donny has that look in his eyes. He's got a plan, let me help him out by giving him some space."

I guess the amazing part is that they are capable of seeing each other's eyes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elftor posted:

That giant crack in the wall is gone. I guess it was just a symbolic crack after all.

IT IS A VERY IMPORTANT AND SYMBOLIC BUTT BUTTCRACK CRACK

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TOAST7312 posted:

I always imagine Coyote's voice as very genuine & jovial, like Jerry Jewell's interpretation of Barry the Chopper in either of the american FMLs; disregarding that character's clear insanity, of course.

I read him as Mark Hamill's Joker, but more benign.

"Oh wandering eye, don't tell me no one has the girl she isn't exactly human."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He sounds like John Delancie to me.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Dammit Tom if Rich Burlew could raise a million dollars you can surely do something serious.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dodgeball posted:

Welp, that's now the only way I'm gonna be able to read his voice in. Not that it's a bad thing, really.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Dodgeball posted:

Sweet, I'm not the only one! :neckbeard:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Dodgeball posted:

Everyone didn't already do this?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Well Manicured Man posted:

Everyone didn't already do this?

I suppose I'll third this, the maniacal laughter kinda makes it hard to read it in any other way.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I read Coyote as a regular person who's really delighted and amused at, like, everything. Never any snide or sarcasm.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Cyphoderus posted:

I read Coyote as a regular person who's really delighted and amused at, like, everything. Never any snide or sarcasm.

Voice actors are regular people.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It's pages like these that make me remember why this is such a brilliantly well done comic. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this chapter.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Whelp, now I'm never going to be able to read Coyote's dialogue without hearing Hamill's Joker in his more manic and upbeat moments. It works so perfectly in my mind...

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Talorat posted:

It's pages like these that make me remember why this is such a brilliantly well done comic. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this chapter.

It's pages like these that make me want to leave for five years, come back, and read the entire story in one sitting, but there's no chance in hell of that happening. I want to know what happens next NOW god dammit. :downs:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Maybe Donald is some kind of counselor. All we know about him is that he's a teacher, right? I'm pretty sure Tom said what subject he teaches in one of the comments, but I don't remember.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Zenzirouj posted:

Maybe Donald is some kind of counselor. All we know about him is that he's a teacher, right? I'm pretty sure Tom said what subject he teaches in one of the comments, but I don't remember.

Fire safety.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
All that's certain is that we know next to nothing about Donald, and I'm definitely curious to see how the conversation with Annie goes. We have been getting small hints that he may be pretty badass, and now I want to see exactly how.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ironic Twist posted:

Fire safety.

He's perfect for dealing with her, then.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

flatluigi posted:

He's perfect for dealing with her, then.

That's the joke. :rimshot:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Oneiros posted:

Whelp, now I'm never going to be able to read Coyote's dialogue without hearing Hamill's Joker in his more manic and upbeat moments. It works so perfectly in my mind...

It works doubleplusgood if you imagine Eglamore as being Conroy's Batman.

"You're her DAUGHTER? Hahaha, Eglamore, you hound!"

"...Carver is the girl's father."

"Oh! In that case, how awkward! Ahahaha!"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Redeye Flight posted:

"You're her DAUGHTER? Hahaha, Eglamore, you hound!"

"...Carver is the girl's father."

"Oh! In that case, how awkward! Ahahaha!"

Batman's a little too intense, although Conroy's Bruce Wayne would work well, provided he sounded like a Brit.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Redeye Flight posted:

Dammit guys I didn't have voices for these characters in my head before now and you're ruining me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guess I'm weird, cause I always heard Coyote with undertones (and occasionally overtones) of Him from Powerpuff Girls, mixed with maybe The Red Guy from Cow and Chicken.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Phy posted:

Guess I'm weird, cause I always heard Coyote with undertones (and occasionally overtones) of Him from Powerpuff Girls, mixed with maybe The Red Guy from Cow and Chicken.

I get the Him voice, just toned down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Literally everyone is voiced by Gilbert Godfrey. Annie, Kat, Anja, Coyote, everyone.