Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

Do old Macbook Pro batteries just outright stop charging? I've had the same battery for 5 years. Bought a new charger for my 2007 MBP and that worked for a week and now my computer just won't recognize that there is a charge coming into it. No green lights at the bottom or anything and now I can't get it to come on.

I'm hoping it's just the battery. If not it's either the female end of the charging port or the alcohol poisoning I accidentally committed that finally killed it. I can probably fix the port, but an outright logic board failure I'm not going to bother with on a 5 year old computer. I've got a shiny new iMac anyway.

Looks like a fruit stand trip for me to see if they'd have any old batteries laying around.
If nothing else I think you might be able to get the flat rate repair ($250?) for it which covers anything they find wrong with it.

Auron posted:

The problem is I don't know anybody with a Mac :( . Oh well, I'll just end up splerging on it probably.
An Apple Store? :haw:...seriously that might be an option though, depending on the employees. Of course I'd be paranoid and change my password just for that one situation (logging into a public computer). Buy it, wait a long rear end time for the download, copy file (or try recovery stick trick, might be tied to machine model though).

Or they'd just push you to buy the $70 Lion USB stick which I totally forgot about until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I was hearing all this fuss about SSD drives and was like meh..... My co-worker decided to put in a request to get our macbook pros updated with SSD and 16gb of RAM.

I have seen the light.

OMG, its so goddam fast now. Excel and Word, which used to be total dogs, now load in under 1 second. I can boot up windows 7 in parallels faster than my quad core PC at home boots up. Its goddamn amazing.

We removed our dvd drives and put them in external enclosures and used the bay to put in the drive using a bracket from OWC. Our home folders are located on our older hard drives. It was actually a pretty painless setup, just took awhile for carbon copy cloner to run. We just left the user folders on the old drive and modified the profile to look there for the home folder and there was no dicking with any apps except for drop box, and adobe photoshop (which was an easy fix).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

What's everyone's favourite online store for buying RAM? Thinking of upgrading my iMac to 8GB.

I was going to go with Crucial, but am open to suggestions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ZeeBoi posted:

What's everyone's favourite online store for buying RAM? Thinking of upgrading my iMac to 8GB.

Whatever is on sale at NewEgg. Hynix, G.Skill, Samsung...

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, I learned today that my 500GB Seagate 7200RPM drive is SATA II, and my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro doesn't like it. I get beach balls and horrid freezing. I spent this morning reading through all the threads on macrumors and the apple support forums about this and I'm pretty disappointed :( I even tried the whole downgrading to Firmware 1.6 thing and had all sorts of problems. I got frustrated and just put the original 160GB 5400rpm drive back in it.

*sigh*

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

echobucket posted:

So, I learned today that my 500GB Seagate 7200RPM drive is SATA II, and my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro doesn't like it. I get beach balls and horrid freezing. I spent this morning reading through all the threads on macrumors and the apple support forums about this and I'm pretty disappointed :( I even tried the whole downgrading to Firmware 1.6 thing and had all sorts of problems. I got frustrated and just put the original 160GB 5400rpm drive back in it.

*sigh*

Can you force it to 1.5gbs either through a utility or jumper? I vaguely remember having to do something like this on my last macbook pro when I upgraded with a western digital drive. I had to use some utility on a PC to make some firmware changes on the drive and it fixed a beachball issue I had.

I don't remember if it was something to do with SATA/SATA II though, I think it was some power saving thing.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ZeeBoi posted:

NewEgg is where I buy all of my RAM. There is usually a brand with 100+ reviews for the type you are looking for.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

echobucket posted:

*sigh*

drat, that's weird as I have a Samsung 830 SSD that's negotiating at the full 3 gigabit on a mid-2009 MacBook (non-Pro.) Is there any utility on Seagate's website that would let you possibly do a software switch down to SATA I?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

drat, that's weird as I have a Samsung 830 SSD that's negotiating at the full 3 gigabit on a mid-2009 MacBook (non-Pro.) Is there any utility on Seagate's website that would let you possibly do a software switch down to SATA I?

It has a jumper, and I had it switched to 1.5Gbps, but then I was still having issues, but I think I might have gotten some filesystem corruption from trying to run it at 3Gbps. For now I'm just going to use the 160GB and I might get brave and try it again later. Apparently this is a known issue with the mid-2009 Macbook Pros, not the MacBooks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is it bad for me to use my macbook air to transfer pictures(in raw and jpg) from my SDHC card to my External HD? I notice that I have to "securely" delete everything and it takes a long time to do so for 16 GB worth of pictures. Is that affecting my SSD life?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KidDynamite posted:

Is it bad for me to use my macbook air to transfer pictures(in raw and jpg) from my SDHC card to my External HD? I notice that I have to "securely" delete everything and it takes a long time to do so for 16 GB worth of pictures. Is that affecting my SSD life?

Yes, stop or you will break it.

Both external HD's and SDHC cards are slow as gently caress, that's what it takes forever to securely delete (which means write over with 0's. Or 1's. Or a mix of the two)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

KidDynamite posted:

Why do you have to securely delete everything? If there isn't some security reason for it, just reformat the card in-camera when you're done (every pro photographer I know reformats rather than just erasing the files. It ensures a clean slate and minimizes potential for camera write errors).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Why do you have to securely delete everything?

:pedo:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

echobucket posted:

Apparently this is a known issue with the mid-2009 Macbook Pros, not the MacBooks.

I know that, it just boggles my mind that Apple couldn't just use the same SATA chips / firmware that work in the MacBook over whatever poo poo they were doing with the Pro.. It's like they spend every last conceivable second tweaking the look so that Jon Ivie can finally say 'ship it' and spend zero time getting internals and other little niggling things like basic SATA drivers / chips right.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 29, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Why do you have to securely delete everything? If there isn't some security reason for it, just reformat the card in-camera when you're done (every pro photographer I know reformats rather than just erasing the files. It ensures a clean slate and minimizes potential for camera write errors).

I hadn't thought of just reformatting. :smith:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

japtor posted:

Or they'd just push you to buy the $70 Lion USB stick which I totally forgot about until now.

That exists? I mean I hate digital downloads, but that price is just ridiculous. It's a bad move to punish people who don't have internet at home, or who are running with slower DSL speeds.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009
The hinge on my MBP started clicking today. I've booked a genius bar appointment on Friday but does anyone know what the actual problem could be/how long a repair would take?

From googling the best case scenario seems to be a loose screw which presumably wouldn't take long to repair but what else could it be?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a friend who has a Unibody MacBookPro, mid-2010. The internal drive died recently, and she wants to install an SSD. I've come across conflicting information regarding Firmware updates on a Mac. It seems that certain manufacturers (Corsair) don't provide Mac-usable tools, and others (Crucial) provide ISO images that may or may not work on Macs.

So, the million-dollar question is: Should I advise her to buy an SSD? I've been suggesting the Crucial M4 128GB drive, which I've used in Windows machines in the past. I'm avoiding OCZ because of their bad reputation for lovely drives, and Corsair because of inability to flash firmware from a Mac.

Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

sharkytm posted:

I've got a friend who has a Unibody MacBookPro, mid-2010. The internal drive died recently, and she wants to install an SSD. I've come across conflicting information regarding Firmware updates on a Mac. It seems that certain manufacturers (Corsair) don't provide Mac-usable tools, and others (Crucial) provide ISO images that may or may not work on Macs.

So, the million-dollar question is: Should I advise her to buy an SSD? I've been suggesting the Crucial M4 128GB drive, which I've used in Windows machines in the past. I'm avoiding OCZ because of their bad reputation for lovely drives, and Corsair because of inability to flash firmware from a Mac.

Thanks!

I put an M4 in my old C2D MBP and it was fantastic. They provide firmware updates as ISO so you can image it to a spare USB key and just boot from there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Thanks!

I had a Intel XM-25 and an Intel 320 in my 2010 MBP. Night and day difference over the stock drive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So, if I understand things correctly, she'd have to do the firmware update first (using another machine to make the USB key/ISO CD), then pop in her OSX DVD and go through the install process as normal? Then, once her OS is installed, enable TRIM via a hack?

I just don't want to lead her down a road of pain-in-the-assery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Crucial M4 firmware upgrade can be done at any time. You can install the OS on it first. It takes seconds to do the upgrade.

The latest 0309 firmware came out a month ago and I put it on my MBP no problem.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

The Crucial M4 firmware upgrade can be done at any time. You can install the OS on it first. It takes seconds to do the upgrade.

The latest 0309 firmware came out a month ago and I put it on my MBP no problem.

I've done the FW update on PC hardware, but it was a fresh drive in a fresh PC. I just made the FW bootable CD on my laptop, updated the FW, then installed windows. Good to know that you can upgrade after you install.

The final question: She's not particularly tech-savvy. If this were my wife or me, no problem re: SSDs. However, I'm reading a lot of issues with the SSDs in all hardware, especially Macs. Maybe she'd be better off with a traditional HDD.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

That exists? I mean I hate digital downloads, but that price is just ridiculous. It's a bad move to punish people who don't have internet at home, or who are running with slower DSL speeds.

If downloading the 4gb or whatever for lion one time is such a loving issue, you've got bigger problems than apple "punishing" you.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

sharkytm posted:

The final question: She's not particularly tech-savvy. If this were my wife or me, no problem re: SSDs. However, I'm reading a lot of issues with the SSDs in all hardware, especially Macs. Maybe she'd be better off with a traditional HDD.

Welp, better tell all the people who've been buying MacBook Airs for the past two years they have issues, since that's when they made MacBook Airs with SSD drives as the only option.

Dunno what you're reading but you should realize that you're always going to see anecdotal evidence that people are having problems with any kind of hardware. Counter to your argument, in the SSD megathread the vast majority agrees Intels, Crucial M4s, and Samsungs are solid as rocks, regardless of the platform they're being used on.

If it was your wife or you. Hmm. Why are you asking us what's really an e/n question about whether or not it's worth it to support a non-tech savvy womenfolk 'friend' who isn't your wife? If she's paying you, then help her. If it's a gratis one-off thing only you can decide if it's worth it to help her, even with all the help you're getting here, and even if all she needs is the update, then format and install which is not mind-numbingly complex.

IMHO if she's the kind of friend who would show up banging at your door at 2:38 AM screaming about continuous kernel panics and a Fedex deadline she has to meet, I'd say hell no.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 1, 2012

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fleshweasel posted:

If downloading the 4gb or whatever for lion one time is such a loving issue, you've got bigger problems than apple "punishing" you.

A 4gb file takes 3-4 hours on a good day for me. For my grandparents, who are stuck with dial up, they can't even consider downloading a file that large. Not all of us live in an area where blazing fast internet is economical. Now, some of my anger is directed towards digital downloads in general, which is a distribution method that I dislike.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

JohnSherman posted:

My guess is that they're just passing along the cost of someone potentially buying one $69 drive and using it for multiple Lion installs (which is less of a risk with a digital download).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

illcendiary posted:

My guess is that they're just passing along the cost of someone potentially buying one $69 drive and using it for multiple Lion installs (which is less of a risk with a digital download).

As opposed to pulling the installer image out of the download and putting it on your own $15 flash drive?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Oneiros posted:

As opposed to pulling the installer image out of the download and putting it on your own $15 flash drive?

As if the average person knows how to do this.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Well, given that the average person probably doesn't even know that Apple offers an official USB flash drive and that the entire first page of google results for "installing lion on multiple computers" is examples of multiple downloads or burning your own optical discs/flash drives, I'd say that is a pretty good assumption.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

illcendiary posted:

The USB-stick version allows you to (legitimately) install Lion on any Mac regardless of previous OS, rather than being an "upgrade" from Snow Leopard only. Still a ripoff; should have been $45 in my opinion.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Apple released a tool for this.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 27" iMac is soon to be two generations old after the upcoming refresh, and it still absolutely flies in Aperture and Photoshop CS5. It's only a lowly quad-core i5 750, but I upped it to 8GB of RAM and threw in a 256GB SSD and now I imagine I'll keep it at least another 2 years.

Speaking of upcoming refresh, it's supposed to be coming soon right? Are they just waiting for Intel to release the Ivy Bridge or whatever? It's about time for me upgrade from my late 07 MacBook.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

albear posted:

Are they just waiting for Intel to release the Ivy Bridge or whatever?
Yes. iMac refresh will most likely be around April-May timeframe, while the notebooks and Mini will probably slip to coincide with Mountain Lion's launch like they did last year (also because mobile Ivy Bridge is delayed to June).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, better tell all the people who've been buying MacBook Airs for the past two years they have issues, since that's when they made MacBook Airs with SSD drives as the only option.

Dunno what you're reading but you should realize that you're always going to see anecdotal evidence that people are having problems with any kind of hardware. Counter to your argument, in the SSD megathread the vast majority agrees Intels, Crucial M4s, and Samsungs are solid as rocks, regardless of the platform they're being used on.

If it was your wife or you. Hmm. Why are you asking us what's really an e/n question about whether or not it's worth it to support a non-tech savvy womenfolk 'friend' who isn't your wife? If she's paying you, then help her. If it's a gratis one-off thing only you can decide if it's worth it to help her, even with all the help you're getting here, and even if all she needs is the update, then format and install which is not mind-numbingly complex.

IMHO if she's the kind of friend who would show up banging at your door at 2:38 AM screaming about continuous kernel panics and a Fedex deadline she has to meet, I'd say hell no.
:lol:
Thanks for the reality check. I've never had a problem with an SSD, I just don't want to look like the bad guy. I'll have her stick with the M4 series then, they are what I've used the most.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Good, because M4s can be had for incredibly decent prices at the moment.

B&H has the 128 GB for $163, Amazon for $165, which is pretty good considering it was $190 a month ago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was also $130 on Newegg the other day. Might be worth waiting for that again.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Does anyone have experience with connecting an external monitor to your MB through mini-display port/VGA adapter? The only catch is that I am trying to do this through Boot Camp running Windows 7?

This connection works perfect on OS X, however, I get nothing when hooked up through Boot Camp...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AzCoug posted:

Does anyone have experience with connecting an external monitor to your MB through mini-display port/VGA adapter? The only catch is that I am trying to do this through Boot Camp running Windows 7?

This connection works perfect on OS X, however, I get nothing when hooked up through Boot Camp...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1972917?start=135&tstart=0

Sounds like a common issue. Are you on the latest version? Re-installed the drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

AzCoug posted:

I did this on a Late 2008 Unibody MacBook on XP and 7 without an issue using MDP->DVI/VGA.

Edit: Try updating the graphics drivers in Boot Camp from the OEM (AMD/ATI or Nvidia).