Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

Hm, those mirrors look like mine. A quick GIS says I may have just figured out where in the heck the mirrors on my Ulysses came from. I thought they may have been fleabay generics at first, but they work too well.

More good news, they aren't expensive at all...at least compared to the rest of the poo poo I've had to buy for this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Took the day off and finished the front wheel, didn't clean any overspray though :\

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Took the day off and finished the front wheel, didn't clean any overspray though :\

drat that's a good looking little motard.

In other news my new tyres are on the way, Avon Distanzia rear and a Pro Extreme Rain for the front, same as last time. Almost went with Distanzia front and rear (cheaper, harder wearing), but I just love how solid that PXR is on our lovely, slippery roads.

Gonna go speak to the local powdercoating ace about my 'PacMotard' wheels tomorrow lunch :woop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the walkin dude posted:

Yeah. That's part of insurance requirements here too, if I want to get my bike off insurance.

Huh, that sucks. I keep all my old plates. They wind up on my garage wall.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Thats awesome, also scrub the overspray off with some cornering

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Huh, that sucks. I keep all my old plates. They wind up on my garage wall.

Thats awesome, also scrub the overspray off with some cornering

That's the plan, although the overspray on the bead will have to be cleaned off I think. There's a video of them spinning with my fat bod on a small bike. Girlfriend is uploading it now.

:siren: fat guy warning :siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdc_imGRLSs

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 29, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the plan, although the overspray on the bead will have to be cleaned off I think. There's a video of them spinning with my fat bod on a small bike. Girlfriend is uploading it now.

I didn't see a wheelie, or any backing it in. :colbert:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nice effect, but...HELMET.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

its me, I'm the squid

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm confused. All I see is mootmoot riding around.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How dare you, I executed a turn poorly without falling :colbert:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

After how many takes ??? Answer me that!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Part of me wishes instead of semicircles you'd managed to paint yin-yangs

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

How tall are you?

I lubed up my clutch cable last night. :feelsgood:
Still waiting on a replacement front caliper. Shipping anything from the west coast to FL takes forever.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The FZ6 got some new shoes. I got Pilot Road 3's to replace the five year old, worn down tires with a screw in the front.

Also first ride of the season at glorious +5 degrees celsius.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The USB port I installed died. I'm going to assume it was water damage, as the cover broke off and it was exposed to the elements. Either way, I don't care; it served its purpose for my HWY 101 trip last year.
What I have, though, is some unsightly holes in my plastic now that I have it removed. I want to install some sort of storage compartment with a cover there (kinda like the FJR has).

This is the best picture I have of where I want it to go (except on the right side instead of the left).

The area's rather small. It's ~2 " wide, but it'll be plenty for stuff I regularly need to have access too (vehicle pass, badges, toll money/credit card).
Any ideas of what I can put there? I've no qualms cutting into the plastic.

makka-setan posted:

The FZ6 got some new shoes. I got Pilot Road 3's to replace the five year old, worn down tires with a screw in the front.

Also first ride of the season at glorious +5 degrees celsius.

I've currently got Pilot Road 2s on mine and need to replace them soon. How are the PR3s? What did you have before?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

quote:

I've currently got Pilot Road 2s on mine and need to replace them soon. How are the PR3s? What did you have before?

I replaced the stock Bridgestone tires. I only rode a few miles back from the shop so I don't have much data to go on, but they felt pretty nice.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackLaser posted:

How tall are you?

I lubed up my clutch cable last night. :feelsgood:
Still waiting on a replacement front caliper. Shipping anything from the west coast to FL takes forever.

6'2" 33-34" inseam

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sweeeeeeet!

-A fat guy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

What is the wintergreen oil for? I've used straight xylene before and it does a super job of softening up rubber on its own.

it gives your bike minty fresh breath.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Most of the way through a carb rebuild, only 9 parts so far missing that should have been in there. I can't imagine how much better it will run.

Also well along in a complete refresh of the whole bike. It's a GL1100, and I'll post more once it starts to look like something other than a giant mound of parts.

fake edit: The missing parts were not there and now are replaced, not that I lost them myself. Parts include 4 sets of idle jet washers and o-rings and 1 plastic cv slide cushion.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Selious posted:

Parts include 4 sets of idle jet washers and o-rings.

Nobody gets that right on these Keihin carbs, including myself the first time through on some for a CB400T. Props on correcting that.

Those carbs are the devil.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Geirskogul posted:

Nobody gets that right on these Keihin carbs, including myself the first time through on some for a CB400T. Props on correcting that.

Those carbs are the devil.

One set of the lost parts in question:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Other than the weird GL mounting flange, those are standard VB-series carbs, yes? I've got 2 or 3 sets of those goddamn things kicking around if you're in a bind for fiddly little bits.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

Other than the weird GL mounting flange, those are standard VB-series carbs, yes? I've got 2 or 3 sets of those goddamn things kicking around if you're in a bind for fiddly little bits.

Make that 2 of us. I've got a total of 4 sets of GL1000 carbs if you need to reference anything or are hurting for parts.

I also have 2 GL1100 bodies I believe.

Protip: be sure not to mix up your Primary and Secondary air jets. I know in the Clymer manual they really hosed that up. They swapped them in the diagram and on the chart.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
IIRC those jets are hammered in for GL1100s, so other than the idle and main jet not much mixing around. Also digging around in the spare parts I got with the bike I think there are 5? extra carbs so hopefully most of the spare parts are in there. I did find a local place in Tucson that does mainly goldwings complete with GL graveyard that I can source for any hardware I'm missing otherwise.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I put on my new front sprocket. Whats the rule of thumb for making sure your rear wheel alignment is right? I have always measured from the swingarm mounting bolt to the axle bolt and according to that I got it dead on first try, but it just seems like that can't be humanly possible.

I'm out of chain lube, any recommendations? I've been using a wax based lube and I like that it's drier, but the lubrication seems to be lacking.

Content:

Me squidding it up for a short spin to make sure everything felt right after the sprocket install.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I put on my new front sprocket. Whats the rule of thumb for making sure your rear wheel alignment is right? I have always measured from the swingarm mounting bolt to the axle bolt and according to that I got it dead on first try, but it just seems like that can't be humanly possible.
There should be hash marks on the swingarm near the slot for your axle. Line the axle head and bolt up on each side with matching hashmarks, and you'll be good.

I'm out of chain lube, any recommendations? I've been using a wax based lube and I like that it's drier, but the lubrication seems to be lacking.
Coat it in gear oil, wipe off the excess, and call it a day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a shaft drive personally so I can't speak for it myself, but some guys I know swear by Chesterton 601

http://www.chesterton.com/ENU/Products/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductLine=TPD&Category=Greases+and+Lubricants&ModelID=601

Might be hard to find and pretty costly though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I'm out of chain lube, any recommendations?

Just wipe it clean in cheap 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

Just wipe it clean in cheap 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Are you serious? I have some 10w40 in the garage, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it slinging engine oil all over the place. How often do I lube it if I use 10w40?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Are you serious? I have some 10w40 in the garage, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it slinging engine oil all over the place. How often do I lube it if I use 10w40?

I'm totally serious. You really don't want to lubricate a modern X- or O-ring chain. The key is to keep it clean. 10w40 won't damage your rings but will dissolve road grit. Just wipe it clean and dry.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

AncientTV posted:

There should be hash marks on the swingarm near the slot for your axle. Line the axle head and bolt up on each side with matching hashmarks, and you'll be good.

Coat it in gear oil, wipe off the excess, and call it a day.

If you go this route any oil will do, even vegetable oil if you're a tree hugging hippie.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

75w90 gear oil doesn't fling as much because its more viscous :science: for the first hundred miles or so you'll wonder what that smell is though.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Thanks for the advice guys, this is basic poo poo and I don't know why I'm struggling with it. I'm going to be tearing in to the Honda soon and hopefully I'll get over being a pansy about working on the bikes. It's weird I've never been timid about them before, but I noticed after I got the Honda I started getting antsy about tearing stuff up. I think the mental dynamic changes a bit when it's your every day ride.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did my first complete All-By-Myself valve check, and completed it today. So satisfying when that engine fired back up. So scary making sure you have the timing right with you put the cams back in.

New tires, new oil, valves in spec, cleaned air filter, I do say I'm ready for the race at the end of the month. Ye-haw.

Now I just need to do the same thing for the track bike...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Things motorcyclists will argue till the end of time:

- oil
- breakins
- tires
- chain lube

On a modern chain, Teflon chain lube works great and won't collect dirt/crap and fling everywhere. Plus it's really cheap. If you go into a motorcycle shop and grab the Honda brand stuff it'll do, you can save a few bucks getting generic stuff at the auto parts store.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't forget fuel octane and darksiders. At least I've learned to avoid those threads at this point.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Don't forget fuel octane and darksiders. At least I've learned to avoid those threads at this point.

Octane? If your compression is less than 10, regular. Above, premium. Midgrade is for idiots. How is this possibly any kind of argument?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well, I'll tell ya, my bike has a compression around 12 and factory recommends regular , so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Regular at 12? That surprises me. What kind of bike do you have if you don't mind? My Concours is 10.7 and recommends premium. Never even tried 87.

Put a Kaoko throttle lock on the connie today. I had a throttlemiester on the ST and really missed not having something on the connie for the highway trips.

I considered putting a real electronic cruise on it, but I've never had an issue with locks and I got a good deal on the Kaoko.

Only registered members can see post attachments!