Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So you brush them on kinda like dry brushing then use a sealant to... seal them in place, right? Doesn't seem too complicated.

E: You can use isopropyl alcohol to spread them out, too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

kicks forts posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap UK brand of white primer? I did a (bad) bit of research and bought a can of plasti-kote plastic spray and it's all glossy.

I have heard the Halfords White Primer is okay.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, I want Forgeworld weathering powders but don't want to pay full price+shipping from England to Nebraska. Anyone got a US site that carries them or, better yet a cheaper version of the same stuff?

I also use the vallejo ones and they seem to work fine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

kicks forts posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap UK brand of white primer? I did a (bad) bit of research and bought a can of plasti-kote plastic spray and it's all glossy.

Halfords White Primer. About the best for lower than GW asks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
WIP for Iron Painter. Taking this photo made me see just how much I still have left on it, but hey, there's four more days. And then I can take the photo under better circumstances.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Halfords White Primer. About the best for lower than GW asks.

Nthing this. Halfords auto primers are ace. Otherwise so are Plastikotes, but you have to make sure you pick up their primer and not just a spray paint :P

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

So from one of the Imperial Fists videos I watched, the general recipe for awesome battle chipped and weathered yellow armor is this:

1. Prime White
2. Basecoat Iyaden Darksun
3. 1:1 mix of Sunburst and Golden Yellow until solid.
4. Wash with Devlan or any darker brown into the crevices for shading.
5. Highlight with Sunburst yellow (or whichever one is brighter.
6. Do chips in the armor with Scorched Brown on big flat areas and edges.
7. Paint thin spots/lines of Boltgun in the brown spots.
8. Paint a thin white line just beneath the brown to give the illusion of pock marks.
9. Go crazy with dirt pigments for a weathered look.
10. Seal with matte sealant, do detail work.

For metal I plan on doing
1. Basecoat black
2. 1:1 mix of Boltgun+Tin Bitz
3. Glaze with Hawk Turquoise.
4. Rust powder with isopropyl alcohol.
5. Blacken areas around exhaust/firing openings with black powder.
6. Sealant.
7. Wash lightly with Devlan mud for brown hue.
8. Drybrush chainmail on fine edges for "fresh" chipping.

I think it should work, it sounds very intensive but Warmachine is a lower model count game compared to some.

Since the model itself will be mostly warm tones (browns and yellows) I guess the bases will be gray concrete and bright metal and gravel, dead grass.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

Lethemonster posted:

Nthing this. Halfords auto primers are ace. Otherwise so are Plastikotes, but you have to make sure you pick up their primer and not just a spray paint :P

I hope I can return this poo poo, last thing I need's a £8 can of unusable paint sitting on a shelf. Need that money for spacemans.

If only that redshirt who chided me for washing my 90+ troops instead of painting highlights for a solid month could see me now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Started sculpting some maquettes. Basically going to do a bunch of crappy little figure studies like this until I get comfortable enough to start doing more detail work. Prob took about an hour, in two sessions between GS curing.

Also, painted this dude

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Eh, it's alright I guess?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Oh! I remembered a question: I bought a moisture trap for my airbrush. It says in the instruction to cut the hose and insert the trap somewhere close to the brush. Is there anything special I should know about doing that or is it pretty simple?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Last time I was in Gauntlet Games they had a couple sets of pigment powders, CFH. Not Forgeworld, but powders.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Really? I'm going there this weekend. I'll try to keep an eye out. Thanks!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hey guys, I want Forgeworld weathering powders but don't want to pay full price+shipping from England to Nebraska. Anyone got a US site that carries them or, better yet a cheaper version of the same stuff?

The Secret Weapon miniatures line is fantastic.

I use them on everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I gave the armor chipping a shot:

The actual models will have a brighter yellow but I had this guy collecting dust on my shelf. The chipping is sloppy but I can get better at it with practice (I hope). Any thoughts? The chipping would be followed up with weathering if I had the stuff to do it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly I always just used Tin Bitz followed by a little bit of Boltgun Metal for chipping.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah, maybe in comparison to implied rape eldar.

It's a sexualized inch tall piece of pewter. Seriously.

Seriously: wasn't being serious. :pwn:

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

I gave the armor chipping a shot:

The actual models will have a brighter yellow but I had this guy collecting dust on my shelf. The chipping is sloppy but I can get better at it with practice (I hope). Any thoughts? The chipping would be followed up with weathering if I had the stuff to do it.

There was a neat guide in an old WD that I clipped here: http://sigismunds.blogspot.com/2009/09/painting-yellow.html

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeast posted:

The Secret Weapon miniatures line is fantastic.

I use them on everything.

Unf. That looks good.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna paint Blood Angels soon.

Spraying this then using quick shade: bad idea?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Gonna paint Blood Angels soon.

Spraying this then using quick shade: bad idea?

"Dragon Red" rather than "Pure Red" basecoat, but they had this image in their example gallery (which can be searched by basecoat/dip type, pretty nifty): http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery_presentation.php?GalleryId=61&Gallery=Dragon%20Red:%20Blood%20Angel&page=1

Looks alright to me, a quick spot of highlighting and it'd honestly look better than most of my (painstakingly) painted stuff. :smith:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneTrueBru posted:

"Dragon Red" rather than "Pure Red" basecoat, but they had this image in their example gallery (which can be searched by basecoat/dip type, pretty nifty): http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery_presentation.php?GalleryId=61&Gallery=Dragon%20Red:%20Blood%20Angel&page=1

Looks alright to me, a quick spot of highlighting and it'd honestly look better than most of my (painstakingly) painted stuff. :smith:

Well, gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Well, gently caress.

Exactly. Probably the best way of knocking an army out and still having it look drat good on the tabletop. Save the effort for the heroes, I guess.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Battlewagon with Deffrolla. Too much?

Just bouncing the concept before I add detailing, I'm particularly keen on ladders and armour plates hanging down to make the two halves more integrated.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Just bouncing the concept before I add detailing, I'm particularly keen on ladders and armour plates hanging down to make the two halves more integrated.

Painted up, and with the additions you are talking about, that thing is going to look amazing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Miles O'Brian posted:

Not enough!

Please please please keep the blingin' chrome wheels.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Please say this is a remote control car and you're going to drive it around on the table.

:( "you just squashed my tactical squad"
:eng101: "they failed their Death or Glory test"

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I really really really wanted a remote control battlewagon but I ended up having to chop most of it down, mangling the gears and worky bits in the process. The only thing left is the axles, really.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I don't think that the words "too much" ever occur in the Ork language, ever.

If it can be bolted on to a vehicle to make it more awesome, it will be done.

Keep going with this concept! Not enough monster trukks in 40k :)

Edit: Reminds me of the huge Komatsu trucks I used to work on during my days on the mine site. Man, if you ever wanted a picture of what the surface of mars might look like up close, working in the North of Western Australia on an iron ore mine would do it for you.

Knew I should have saved some of that fine dust to use to weather my miniatures...

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 1, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Miles that owns and you need to paint it, like right loving now. :drat:

Also I never noticed how much the enclosed cab + ram looks like an ork head with an iron gob. I'm sure that's the intention with it, but I'm too derpy to notice such things, heh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Miles O'Brian posted:

You've got the wheels for it. Make a 2012 version Gobsmasha.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

What do UK goons use for stripping paint off plastics? The big "Use Simple Green" thing is ok other than that it costs £16/litre + postage. Is there anything cheaper that's as effective that's actually available?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Moonwolf posted:

What do UK goons use for stripping paint off plastics? The big "Use Simple Green" thing is ok other than that it costs £16/litre + postage. Is there anything cheaper that's as effective that's actually available?

I use brown Dettol. Leave your minis in it for a week. Be careful with diluting it though. Then use a brush to scrub the paint off.

Acetone free nail varnish remover is good for metals - it melts plastic though so don't use it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Moonwolf posted:

Yeah, neat Dettol works nicely in my experience, though it doesn't do poo poo with enamel. Not sure if anything does, though...

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I use Biostrip 20, the 500ml tub. It looks like PVA and is the least harsh chemical I've found that will do the job. Its water based, solvent free, non-toxic, non-caustic, ph neutral, fume free and can be washed straight down the sink.

Bit expensive but you can reuse the same batch a few times before you need to ditch it. After stripping an entire Sisters army with Nitromors and feeling like I needed a Hazmat suit every time, this stuff was like heaven. Now I just chuck minis in a pot for a couple of hours and rinse/scrub in the kitchen sink.

I am pretty much done with the Monster Trukk at this point, I just need to add the gunners on the back. Looks a lot more integrated.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 1, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Monster Trukk could use some spikes or other gubbins on the rims maybe.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I do have the girder-spikes from the Stompa set, I might go for it. I was thinking it needed some riveted armor over the hubcaps but I dunno if it will spoil the look.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Miles O'Brian posted:

I do have the girder-spikes from the Stompa set, I might go for it. I was thinking it needed some riveted armor over the hubcaps but I dunno if it will spoil the look.

The stompa spikes were exactly what I was picturing. I vote no on the armor for hubcaps, but it's your monsta-trukk.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Add some armored skirts and running boards with grab handles for boyz to stand on and job's a good 'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That battlewagon looks like it'll turn out rad, can monster truck wheels be the googly eyes of ork armies?

Airbrush question, anyone have paint recommendations to use as a primer for my models? Vallejo model air looks rad but no where in this town stocks them, and I wanna paint guys over the weekend.

Anyone have any experience with using Tamiya's liquid surface primers?

• Locked thread