Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Black Dragons are inherently evil. The Azure City paladins feels that inherently evil creatures may be slaughtered wholesale, up to and including their defenseless, innocent children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cuchulain posted:

Black Dragons are inherently evil. The Azure City paladins feels that inherently evil creatures may be slaughtered wholesale, up to and including their defenseless, innocent children.

Unless they only started doing that to protect the gates. I think that would have been after Soon did whatever he did to make Draketooth despise him. Though I could be wrong.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Cuchulain posted:

I gathered that it was more that Girard had a problem with Soon, not the other way around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

terminal mehmet posted:

Unless they only started doing that to protect the gates. I think that would have been after Soon did whatever he did to make Draketooth despise him. Though I could be wrong.
It happens in the beginning of Start of Darkness, and it's very strongly implied that it's been going on for quite some time before that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe it's just me but I saw it as Girard and Soon just inherently not getting along. With the death of Kraggor basically turning the friction into out right hatred.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ashenai posted:

Not really, they'll both have Contingent Spells up (essentially magic scripts: when a predetermined event happens, the contingent spell triggers by itself, without the wizard having to do anything.) Stuff like "If anyone attempts to cast a 6th level spell or higher targeting me that I didn't explicitly agree to, trigger Finger of Death targeting the caster, then trigger Greater Teleport teleporting me back to my fortress, then trigger Superb Dispelling on any magical effects on me I didn't cast myself. If I'm dead, trigger Wish, resurrecting me." It'll probably all come down to which wizard wrote the better "script."
For comparison's sake, this is a fairly underpowered 50th-level wizard I wrote about a decade ago (because I didn't know how to properly abuse Epic magic) (Warning: reading that link in full might cause your virginity to grow back).

I think that PbP campaign lasted a few rounds (since abuse of Time Stops and similar abilities caused each round to take several pages).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Basically there's a reason the only high level casters are V, who uses mostly blasting spells, Durkon, who is a heal/support caster, and the antagonists.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Order of the Stick? NEVER HEARD OF IT.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Boy that fog sure is interesting to look at.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
RE: The first page.

No, I'm not going to give it hell because it looks like OotS. I'm going to give it hell because the writing is stilted and forced.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wasn't there also another pretty blatant copy called the Way of the Metagamer or something?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I think it's likely that Girard is the statue. Remember when the Order tried to direct a Sending spell to him in the desert? They said he was unwilling or unable to respond, which I thought at the time meant "not dead". At the very least, it would be a prudent contingency given what's happened.

Also, writing as someone who doesn't normally follow threads like this, the reveal here was fantastic. That's why I'm visiting now- to see lead up and reaction to it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't there also another pretty blatant copy called the Way of the Metagamer or something?

There's something like four or five at least, they advertise in the forums.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Are we counting Keychain of Creation among these copies?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Cuchulain posted:

They're not inherently evil. They're "always chaotic evil" so they are born with that alignment, but they don't have the subtype or anything, so they're quite capable of becoming non-evil.

Not that it's likely. But the paladins are still dicks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jefepato posted:

They're not inherently evil. They're "always chaotic evil" so they are born with that alignment, but they don't have the subtype or anything, so they're quite capable of becoming non-evil.

Not that it's likely. But the paladins are still dicks.

Note that 'always' in the context of the Monster Manual only means like 80%.

Also, because they don't have an alignment subtype they aren't born with any particular alignment.

So most Black Dragons are inclined towards Chaotic evil, with most of the rest some flavor of Chaotic Neutral or Neutral evil, but they choose that. They aren't born that way any more than Goblins or humans.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So Black Dragons' tendency towards evil is cultural? Bad parents raising nasty hatchlings and telling them it's okay to treat people like ants, "because they ARE ANTS!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

404GoonNotFound posted:

Are we counting Keychain of Creation among these copies?

The less said of that crap the better

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Speedball posted:

So Black Dragons' tendency towards evil is cultural? Bad parents raising nasty hatchlings and telling them it's okay to treat people like ants, "because they ARE ANTS!"

Eh, biologically they may have like a lack of empathy too and some traits that tend to set them on the path to being chaotic evil. Culture probably also plays a pretty big role. A small proportion of them, probably 3-8% are explicitly on the 'good' end of the alignment scale. They're the exception, not the norm, which is why the alignment entry is written the way it is. You have such a small chance of running into a good Black Dragon that it isn't really reasonable to expect it.

There are no creatures, besides mindless undead, that are literally always evil though. Even Demons with the 'Evil' subtype.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

cool alignment debate guys

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
It's been a long while since I last played D&D and the epic level spell and dragon alignment spergin' are flying right over my head. I know the comic is plenty enjoyable without deep (or any) knowledge of D&D, but honest question - how much more enjoyable is it and the speculation when you have that knowledge to add to it? Predefined rules you know it'll mostly follow instead of Rich pulling things out of his rear end and whatnot.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The less said of that crap the better

I thought it was good :ohdear:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kimitsu posted:

It's been a long while since I last played D&D and the epic level spell and dragon alignment spergin' are flying right over my head. I know the comic is plenty enjoyable without deep (or any) knowledge of D&D, but honest question - how much more enjoyable is it and the speculation when you have that knowledge to add to it? Predefined rules you know it'll mostly follow instead of Rich pulling things out of his rear end and whatnot.

It does add to the enjoyment, but it's definitely not a huge deal. Knowing D&D was way more important for the early strips, when the comic was still largely about games mechanics gags.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ordinarily I despise alignment discusssions, but not this time. Funny.

Just how old was the dragon that V nuked? I know they get up there, but she's had a whole lot of generations of offspring beneath her to fry.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Just how old was the dragon that V nuked? I know they get up there, but she's had a whole lot of generations of offspring beneath her to fry.

Probably around a century or so, he was too small to be anything but a Juvenile and his mother implies he's roughly analogous to a human teenager. Plus I think he was her only son, or her dialogue implies that at least.

I mean V's kids are both 26 and going to kindergarten.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 1, 2012

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Speedball posted:

She could cast Anti-Magic Shell, which would make her a Wyrm or Great Wyrm: over a thousand years old.

edit: I think Speedball meant the mother dragon V cast Familicide on.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The mother dragon's age is fairly irrelevant. We know there was a male black dragon of fertile age two generations earlier than Girard, however long that is (half-dragons have better life spans too, I presume), but he could have been either an older OR a younger relative of her, equally as easily. Based on what Ashenai pointed out the answer is probably 'younger', though.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Also, writing as someone who doesn't normally follow threads like this, the reveal here was fantastic. That's why I'm visiting now- to see lead up and reaction to it.

I agree.
I only just finished reading OotS start to finish and it seems it was pretty well timed, too. :) I wasn't really sure what to think of the comic at first, but after having read the whole thing I'm surprised how well written it is, I really enjoyed it. It really seems to me though that the comic has definitely taken a turn for the darker since it started, what with the Familicide, the murder of Tsukiko, and now this.

Also, I'm sort of vouching for Redcloak at this point. :v: His goal of getting a safe and peaceful place for his people seems pretty noble, as far as evilness goes. He's also had some fantastic character exposition in the last bunch of comics.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Yeah Man posted:

I thought it was good :ohdear:

The first mention of keyblades should have sent up a red flag in your head, even if the tiny overly-cutesy goth girl didn't.

Choc
Dec 1, 2005

I hate LOVE the SA purchase system
Does anyone have a definition of "directly related"? I tried Google with no luck. I mean it covers mothers and sons and brothers and sisters but what about cousins? or second and third cousins? after all the black dragon mother that V killed must have been related in some way to EVERY black dragon on the planet.
It seems strange to me that the spell included the Draketooth clan who are mostly human but still left some black dragons alive as V says 25% of them are dead not all of them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

And to think that, if that updater is correct, there is over 200 pages of that and it still looks horrible.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Choc posted:

It seems strange to me that the spell included the Draketooth clan who are mostly human but still left some black dragons alive as V says 25% of them are dead not all of them.

It probably only goes back as far as the oldest currently living relative.

So if the Dragon-Mother V cast the spell on has a living parent (It's possible, dragons live a loving long time), but no living grandparents, it would hit her parents, aunts, uncles, 1st cousins, etc, but not 2nd cousins.

Depending on the age of the world vs the time since the Gods last re-created the planet, I could believe 25% of the living black dragons all had a great-great-etc-grand-drake that was living up 'til now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cliff Racer posted:

And to think that, if that updater is correct, there is over 200 pages of that and it still looks horrible.

My favourite thing about that piece of poo poo is that not only is it ripping off the OotS content, but also the website design. Way to be original, duder.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Der Shovel posted:

My favourite thing about that piece of poo poo is that not only is it ripping off the OotS content, but also the website design. Way to be original, duder.

Oh, holy gently caress, the second strip even SAYS so. Man.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Zore posted:

Note that 'always' in the context of the Monster Manual only means like 80%.

Also, because they don't have an alignment subtype they aren't born with any particular alignment.

So most Black Dragons are inclined towards Chaotic evil, with most of the rest some flavor of Chaotic Neutral or Neutral evil, but they choose that. They aren't born that way any more than Goblins or humans.

I looked at the Monster Manual when I wrote that post. It literally says "always" means the creature is born with the alignment.

You're essentially right that no critter with a mind is literally always evil, though. (Except maybe beholders, but their weird dual-mind thing probably stopped being the case after 2e.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

404GoonNotFound posted:

The first mention of keyblades should have sent up a red flag in your head, even if the tiny overly-cutesy goth girl didn't.

The protagonist is the "Nice Guy" archetype to a tee, and then there's the Lunar who's characterization is 100% "whoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhores".

It is a Bad Webcomic.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zore posted:

Eh, biologically they may have like a lack of empathy too and some traits that tend to set them on the path to being chaotic evil. Culture probably also plays a pretty big role. A small proportion of them, probably 3-8% are explicitly on the 'good' end of the alignment scale. They're the exception, not the norm, which is why the alignment entry is written the way it is. You have such a small chance of running into a good Black Dragon that it isn't really reasonable to expect it.

I'm sorry, their scales aren't shiny, ergo: Evil.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Effingham posted:

Oh, holy gently caress, the second strip even SAYS so. Man.

The first one, actually. :eng101:

So, if you would be so kind, proceed to make fun of it for all the ways it suck (I haven't read it, so I'd be happy to learn why I needn't bother), and avoid being precisely the kind of fanboys this guy correctly calls out and making fun of it because it adopts a simple, effective, proven visual style.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

The first one, actually. :eng101:

So, if you would be so kind, proceed to make fun of it for all the ways it suck (I haven't read it, so I'd be happy to learn why I needn't bother), and avoid being precisely the kind of fanboys this guy correctly calls out and making fun of it because it adopts a simple, effective, proven visual style.

I don't think acknowledging the source of the theft counts as some sort of "get out of criticism free" card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could we not do this? I remember when the thread was full of complaining about Erfworld. If it isn't OOTS, go to the wrbcomics thread general or start a new thread.