Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

piratepilates posted:

What the gently caress, I'm doing the Mori mission where he meets his old business partners and it's like Liberty City turned in to Mogadishu, dock workers with rocket launchers, me with an automatic shotgun tearing down dudes, what the hell is going on

Don't think about it. That should be the main tagline for Gay Tony as you boot it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GTAIV is released. Fan reaction: "What the gently caress is all this SERIOUS bullshit? What happened to all the crazy poo poo from the other games!?!?!"

Gay Tony is release. Fan reaction: "What the gently caress is all this CRAZY bullshit? None of this makes sense from a writing perspective, it's all just gameplay stuff!!!!!"

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TheJoker138 posted:

GTAIV is released. Fan reaction: "What the gently caress is all this SERIOUS bullshit? What happened to all the crazy poo poo from the other games!?!?!"

Gay Tony is release. Fan reaction: "What the gently caress is all this CRAZY bullshit? None of this makes sense from a writing perspective, it's all just gameplay stuff!!!!!"

Er. There's nothing wrong with realism, but GTAIV went about it the wrong way. Realism has nothing to do with GTAIV's quality. TLAD is a great game and it's realistic and gritty.

Gay Tony is cartoony written within a realistic setting, however. The two styles do not mix well.

Your argument fails because, at least in my case, I love TLAD for its gritty realism as well as Chinatown Wars for its cartoony mayhem.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I like to think of GTA4 and the DLCs in terms of progression from GTA3 to San Andreas.

GTA4 is just figuring poo poo out with the mechanics and gameplay. Fun, but not much substance.

TLAD is like Vice City, adds a little bit more to play with, improves some things.

Then Gay Tony is everything has had time to be really worked on and perfected and it's just so wonderful and oh my god ~*arab money*~ :allears:

Maybe all it was is I just liked smashing the poo poo out of cop cars with explosive shotgun rounds.

I mean I really liked that. :q:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TheJoker138 posted:

I actually like the serious parts of GTAIV and I'm liking Gay Tony so far, all the characters are so off the wall bizarre and Luis just does not give any poo poo about anything that it's just this real fun adventure, it's just weird how quickly the gameplay in the missions turns to straight up skirmishes when the cutscenes are so benign.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Who said anything about GTA IV being realistic was bad. It was the story/missions that were bad/boring. The set pieces felt weak, it's bad enough the gameplay/story clashed in the wrong ways.

I can appreciate that Rockstar tried to go somewhere different with the story, but translating it to the game showed it's faults. Oh hey we are broke even though I have 250,000 in my hand but apparently Roman wasted all the money (I mean Niko did rob a bank) and they are back down the shitter. There was nothing to do. People point out oh it's so full of life and you can walk down the streets and appreciate the work they put into the buildings. Can't really appreciate it when then there is jack poo poo to do. GTA IV was just one big sandbox with rarely anything to play with. No side missions, etc none of the crazy stuff I"m used to. Perhaps they are going with another direction with it but if GTA was going to be like this from now on I would've quit and drop the series.

However TLAD and Gay Tony showed me that Rockstar still hasn't forgotten it's roots. Gay Tony was a fun romp. The characters can die in a fire though, they were just loving annoying. Especially the two friends. I just wanted to pump them full of lead those obnoxious fucks.

So sir, you argument fails flat. Gay Tony may have been cartoony but it was fun, the characters were just irritating as hell.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

TheJoker138 posted:

Are you suggesting the opinions of some people conflict with the opinions of other people? Proposterous.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm amazed at how many times this exact conversation can play out in the same thread with mostly the same people, but curiously lacking Bill Murray throughout.

This just in! GTAForums has learned through insider sources and tabloid horoscopes that Bill Murray will be in GTAV, possibly as a plot-critical character in blackface or a comically large-headed bear costume. Also the game play out across all the terrestrial planets and feature a carefully modelled digestive system for the player. Bigfoot won't be in the main game and neither will unicycles, but both are planned to play a major role in a future DLC.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Are you suggesting the opinions of some people conflict with the opinions of other people? Proposterous.

Yea there's no way they can please everyone. If I felt like wasting a few hours I'd love to go through the GTAIV anticipation thread, find everyone who clamored for a more realistic GTA, and then see how many of those are now complaining about it after the game came out.

People are generally idiots about what they think they want, only imagining the positive aspect. A bunch of people said they wanted realistic NY traffic in GTAIV. Can you imagine how retarded that would be?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Somehow found a stream on Justin.tv where there is a server chock full of people roleplaying as cops, gangsters, civilians and so on. They put people in jail and make them wait out their sentence or pay a fine, he mentioned lawyers; they type and talk to eachother according to their role.

It's bizarre as hell but oddly entertaining. http://www.twitch.tv/a_confused_pumpkin

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Knightmare posted:

Yea there's no way they can please everyone. If I felt like wasting a few hours I'd love to go through the GTAIV anticipation thread, find everyone who clamored for a more realistic GTA, and then see how many of those are now complaining about it after the game came out.

People are generally idiots about what they think they want, only imagining the positive aspect. A bunch of people said they wanted realistic NY traffic in GTAIV. Can you imagine how retarded that would be?

Not necessarily.

I was one of the ones excited for a realistic GTA.

GTAIV failed in many areas. However, RDR - a guilt BUILT on the fundamentals of GTAIV - which is probably as if not more realistic GTAIV, is one of my favorite games this generation.

How do you explain this? Surely you can't lump every person who was disappointed by IV in a haha they hate realism camp, because that's far from the truth. Maybe some of us have different expectations or a higher standard?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
From a narrative perspective, the biggest issue with GTA IV is that it really lacks both stakes and focus. The strongest part of the game is probably the first act in Broker. We get why things are happening. Niko is trying to protect Roman, he works for Little Jacob because he likes him, and then he ends up working for the Russians because he has to. We're always aware of the reason that the character is doing what he's doing. The fact that the game mechanics all feel new and varied also helps.

Once we go to Bohan, the characters now have the goal of restarting their lives, but we never experience that in real way. A business mechanic would have worked really well here. Use the Bank of Liberty website to by businesses, and have Roman manage them. Instead, we're just told that Niko is investing in the car service and giving Roman money to cover his debts. We don't actually feel those stakes, so Niko working for anyone pass Three Leaf Clover seems forced.

Besides supporting Roman, Niko's other main goal is revenge. The problem is that we're only told through one monologue why Niko cares so much about getting his revenge. Compare this to the first act of Red Dead Redemption that is centered on capturing an outlaw in a fort. The very first mission involves John Marston standing outside of the fort, asking for surrender, and being effortlessly shot. Our stakes are automatically set and the player is put in the position where they want to take down the bastard.

Then we have Dimitri as the game's antagonist and I can't understand why. What actual stake does he have in taking down Niko? The initial attack only occurs because Dimitri was selling Niko out to Bulgarin. Is he still trying to do that? Is he only antagonist by proxy? Is he mad because Niko got away? Is he afraid Niko will tell the Russians about how Dimitri double-crossed Faustin? Who the gently caress knows?

The Lost and the Damned has its faults, but the thing that puts it over the base game is that we always understand why Johnny does what he does. What's funny is that his story is not too dissimilar to Niko's. He does certain things to protect Ashley. He does certain things out of revenge. He does certain things for money. The thing is that when we see Johnny go to sleep on a dirty mattress, we really believe why he has to do filler missions for Elizibeta.

I think the other thing that Johny has that is missing from the other two protagonists in the GTA IV trilogy is some joy in what he does. The first Jim mission is done because it just seems like a fun ride. Of course he'll go steal some bikes, this is a GTA game about a biker.

Ballad of Gay Tony suffers from a lot of the same problems as the base game. Why does Luis help his friends? All they do is make fun of him, and he's operating a nightclub. He doesn't seem like he wants to be a drug kingpin. Everything centered around Tony is defined by some ambiguous financial issues. At least the missions are a little bit more clear in how they would solve those debts.

Where it lacks in story, it makes up in chaotic gameplay and just more side missions. My favorite part of the game is just operating the nightclub. GTA IV really really lives and dies on the core gameplay and the main storyline. I do think the core mechanics of GTA IV are fun, but if you find them underwhelming, the game really offers you nothing different after Three Leaf Clover. I also do enjoy the mini-arcs in the game with the different mission bosses, but if you dislike the McRearys then you're not going to enjoy the game.

Anyway,for me, the faults of the trilogy have nothing to do with realism or silliness.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Knightmare posted:

My favourites are always the people who chime in with "I think my hometown of Buttfuck, Kansas would be perfect for the next GTA because" :allears:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

piratepilates posted:

just having an automatic shotgun out of nowhere and killing like 20 cops and shooting down a police helicopter, seriously what the hell, I can't kill that Santo guy that's threatening my mom that doesn't seem to have anything stopping him from dying, but 20 cops and a police helicopter are alright?

Fun fact: If you win the fight instead of losing, you can kill Santo right after.

piratepilates posted:

the part that bugged me was killing Billy Grey, you bust in to this prison, shoot up the guards and everything, this guy betrayed you, almost had you killed, was trying to pin a drug ring he was for and you were against on you and then all you do is walk up and shoot him in the head, no cinematic or anything, just walk up and shoot him as if he were a random dude.

That was the point.

Knightmare posted:

I think my favorite thing suggested was that you should have to launder the money from each mission you get.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Heliotrope posted:

That was the point.

I get that his death at that point being inevitable and that Johnny probably couldn't care about talking to him or devoting any more feeling to him, but it seems like at least an ending cutscene of Johnny not giving a gently caress and just shooting him would be better than the player shooting him, when the player shoots people themselves it's just kind of an ordinary thing, you shoot and run over a ton of people without care, you shoot a ton of cops and AOD members and it doesn't really matter when they die but when someone gets killed or hurt in a cutscene it carries a lot more breadth to the game, it shows how that death is actually important instead of being one of the hundreds of people killed over the course of the game that held no impact to the player.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

piratepilates posted:

I get that his death at that point being inevitable and that Johnny probably couldn't care about talking to him or devoting any more feeling to him, but it seems like at least an ending cutscene of Johnny not giving a gently caress and just shooting him would be better than the player shooting him, when the player shoots people themselves it's just kind of an ordinary thing, you shoot and run over a ton of people without care, you shoot a ton of cops and AOD members and it doesn't really matter when they die but when someone gets killed or hurt in a cutscene it carries a lot more breadth to the game, it shows how that death is actually important instead of being one of the hundreds of people killed over the course of the game that held no impact to the player.

Once again, that's kind of the point.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

St Evan Echoes posted:

Does anyone else miss the whole "can't go into this neighbourhood without being shot at" thing? One of the joys of GTA3 was getting the Cartel to chase you to Chinatown, then getting the Tridents and the Cartel to chase you to the Mafia's turf, and then watch a 3-way gang war emerge while you spawn a tank and gently caress everyone's poo poo up.

Oh yeah, I love the fact that if you don't complete the paramedic side-missions before you unlock the second island then they're basically impossible to complete -- being shot at by the assorted gangs, one shotgun blast to your vehicle and it's in flames. Yeah that was a great feature. :arghfist:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

webmeister posted:

My favourites are always the people who chime in with "I think my hometown of Buttfuck, Kansas would be perfect for the next GTA because" :allears:

You have to admit though that Buttfuck, Melbourne, Australia would be pretty cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_%28TV_series%29

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
'Hey why don't R* do GTA:Prague?!'

:psyduck:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

simosimo posted:

'Hey why don't R* do GTA:Prague?!'

:psyduck:

The Saboteur was pretty fuckin badass and that was set in Nazi Paris, given the right time you can make your own little GTA: The Third Man.

What we really need is The Saboteur 2 set in Berlin during the cold war, and I will not die until this is reality dammit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

GreatKesh posted:

You have to admit though that Buttfuck, Melbourne, Australia would be pretty cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_%28TV_series%29

Nah, Melbourne is a nice town but a GTA set there would be pretty boring. Most of the CBD is completely flat, the roads are an uninteresting square grid and the architecture isn't very distinctive. Sydney would be a better choice if you were doing GTA in Australia but they won't ever take it outside the USA so hey!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Set it somewhere in Ohio. I think it would look a little something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWFG4oEn87E

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Heliotrope posted:

I think my favorite thing suggested was that you should have to launder the money from each mission you get.

Mine is wanting the cars to have gas. What a pain in the rear end that would be to run out of gas in a chase

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not any more or less so than having your car stall from massive damage in a chase (a situation where you are likely to sustain massive damage).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
those arent nearly as random. When your car stalls you know why. With gas being a thing you can conceivably get into a car on E

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I think you could run out of gas in Mafia 2 but I don't think that has ever happened to me playing that, as a side effect though there were plenty of gas stations and you could hold them up for money which was pretty rad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

piratepilates posted:

The Saboteur was pretty fuckin badass and that was set in Nazi Paris, given the right time you can make your own little GTA: The Third Man.

What we really need is The Saboteur 2 set in Berlin during the cold war, and I will not die until this is reality dammit.

What I would really want is for them to admit that the writing in The Saboteur sucked, give up on being serious and turn it into a full on parody of Assassin's Creed, with Nazis and Saboteurs being two secret societies that have existed for centuries. Ahh, a man can dream.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

What I would really want is for them to admit that the writing in The Saboteur sucked, give up on being serious

When was the Saboteur serious? The tutorial has you following your German race car rival to a factory where you find out he is is also a Nazi scientist who tortures you and your brother. Later on in the game you fight him on a burning zeppelin.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

When was the Saboteur serious? The tutorial has you following your German race car rival to a factory where you find out he is is also a Nazi scientist who tortures you and your brother. Later on in the game you fight him on a burning zeppelin.

I think the bar for serious vs. non-serious sandbox gaming has been firmly set at sex-pun business names for a while now. So unless The Saboteur had a Parisian bakery called Double Baguette I'd say it's serious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, nothing in The Saboteur was that subtle, but your homebase was in a strip club and you could download a nudity patch.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Also I remember the gigantic gun being called something penis related

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The Saboteur was serious but very over the top, nothing in it is presented as very funny but it's like watching an old kung-fu movie or a James Bond movie, lots of big action and one dimensional enemies that is fun to watch.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Knightmare posted:

A (sadly deceased) forum that I used to hang out on had someone make a post the week before GTAIV came out, claiming that they had pirated one of the XBOX360 leaks that were out at the time and that the game was mess: you had to play a hotwiring minigame every time you stole a car, the NY traffic meant that during rush hour you couldn't drive anywhere, they lost all their money because they went on foot and cut through an alley only to have a mugger execute them in an unskippable cutscene, etc.

It was all a good laugh at the time but the fact that I've heard every single thing from that unironically proposed as a positive feature for GTAV is the most :psyduck: thing.

thebardyspoon posted:

You not only walk away from a zeppelin crash but earlier in the game you steal what's implied to be the Ark of the Covenant from the Nazis. The Saboteur was goofy as hell, it makes me sad that thanks to GTA anything that isn't smeared in wall-to-wall jokes about bodily fluid, has heavyhanded Fox News parodies, and uses the number 69 in everything is declared to be serious and boring.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Farbtoner posted:

A (sadly deceased) forum that I used to hang out on had someone make a post the week before GTAIV came out, claiming that they had pirated one of the XBOX360 leaks that were out at the time and that the game was mess: you had to play a hotwiring minigame every time you stole a car, the NY traffic meant that during rush hour you couldn't drive anywhere, they lost all their money because they went on foot and cut through an alley only to have a mugger execute them in an unskippable cutscene, etc.

I'm gonna be honest, everything but the hotwiring thing in this post sounds pretty rad, imagine getting in a police chase in Manhattan during rush hour and having to just leave your vehicle and run around through the parks and back-alleys to get away from the cops.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Saboteur has its faults, but it was at least fun to play. If you want terrible there always Mafia II, butchered for DLC and the DLC couldn't even save it. That will sit in my Steam library taunting me about might have beens for eternity. :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
All this gta talk made me update and try both gta4 and eflc again tonight, but rockstar social club refuses to log in so I can't play multiplayer. Does anyone else get that or is it just on my end? This is on the PC.

Edit:

Cage posted:

Why did none of you have hope for MP3 until the gameplay trailer? MP1 was awesome, MP2 was even better and theyre getting the same voice actor again.

edit: NM. This is the GTA thread.

If youre bored of GTA4 I recommend checking out the ultimate vehicle pack. The current version replaces probably 95% of the cars, (if you have the episodes itll even replace 95% of the new cars), gives you options in the installer to include some smaller mods, and adds an entire island for you to drive and gently caress around in. Super easy to uninstall, it'll be listed in your add/remove programs in the control panel.

http://gta4uvp.gamesave-manager.com/

Yes that race track has like 80 different routes.

Well I never got the social club working tonight, so I figured hey, if multiplayer is broke now is a perfect time to go back a few pages and try that real-vehicle mod with the extra island that was posted. It started me over with a new game, but once I dropped my cauhsin off at his apartment I headed for this island and it's a hoot. Not a lot of longevity since there's no multiplayer, but it really showcases how much fun you can have with varied terrain and not just grid-blocks in a city. Looking forward to some of that in gta5. I loved adding real life cars to gta3 and vice city, but with gta4 I figured the existing cars looked nice enough, and mods probably wouldn't be worth it. Boy was I wrong. Having real cars with more polys and detailed interiors (even GPS screens with little thumbnails of the Liberty City map!) make it a lot more appealing. And the Coquette is even the ZR1 model, it's like they knew I was a Corvette fanboy! Anyway thanks for the link Cage. I'm not gonna replay through the games again or anything but it'll be fun to horse around in.

davebo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 3, 2012

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

piratepilates posted:

I'm gonna be honest, everything but the hotwiring thing in this post sounds pretty rad, imagine getting in a police chase in Manhattan during rush hour and having to just leave your vehicle and run around through the parks and back-alleys to get away from the cops.

Do you not remember how awkward and pain in the assey it was just run, jump, and shimmy things on foot? That would suck

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

Well I never got the social club working tonight, so I figured hey, if multiplayer is broke now is a perfect time to go back a few pages and try that real-vehicle mod with the extra island that was posted. It started me over with a new game, but once I dropped my cauhsin off at his apartment I headed for this island and it's a hoot. Not a lot of longevity since there's no multiplayer, but it really showcases how much fun you can have with varied terrain and not just grid-blocks in a city. Looking forward to some of that in gta5. I loved adding real life cars to gta3 and vice city, but with gta4 I figured the existing cars looked nice enough, and mods probably wouldn't be worth it. Boy was I wrong. Having real cars with more polys and detailed interiors (even GPS screens with little thumbnails of the Liberty City map!) make it a lot more appealing. And the Coquette is even the ZR1 model, it's like they knew I was a Corvette fanboy! Anyway thanks for the link Cage. I'm not gonna replay through the games again or anything but it'll be fun to horse around in.
He updates that pack every few months or so, so check his site occasionally. No MP does suck, but the installer makes it easy to get rid of everything so you have a vanilla install. If you havent already I recommend cruising in the hakumai, which seems to be a drift-setup 90s skyline, at 50% or 25% game speed. Ill never get bored of that.

edit: Bonus driving hint (works for vanilla game too): If your car ever starts to oversteer theres a little quirk in the games engine that will let you straighten out. Dont follow your real-life instinct and just take your foot off the gas, nor apply light brakes. Keep the gas pressed and mash the regular brakes for an instant or two and your car will straighten out towards the direction youre sliding. This works at 10mph or 100.

More well known:

For a faster car launch while stopped hold the handbrake and push the gas. Disengage handbrake and your car will launch slightly faster (very noticable in online race).

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 4, 2012

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
This was way loving harder than I ever remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Cage posted:

If your car ever starts to oversteer theres a little quirk in the games engine that will let you straighten out. Dont follow your real-life instinct and just take your foot off the gas, nor apply light brakes.

Don't follow your real-life instinct in real life, either.

• Locked thread