Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe I'm just playing wrong but DS 2 seems to have stepped the difficulty up without being overly cheap (which is a good thing)

You're right, I just finished DS Overclocked and DS2 starts off much faster. I was surprised when one of my demons got OHKOed in the 2nd battle. It made me happy.

And poo poo, picked the dildo girl. rilly sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pierce posted:

You're right, I just finished DS Overclocked and DS2 starts off much faster. I was surprised when one of my demons got OHKOed in the 2nd battle. It made me happy.

And poo poo, picked the dildo girl. rilly sucks

Dia, Dia everywhere. I've gotten things down to 5HP and the entire party has healed. This shouldn't happen at level 10.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 29, 2012

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Wow end of 3rd day is kinda bullshit. 2 fights back to back, and a lovely gimmick on the second one, too

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nice Eternal Punishment is awesome. The original translation was really good so it won't be as much of an improvement as Persona 1 or the first time most people see it like Innocent Sin, but it's still my favorite and I never finished the extra dungeon so I'll definitely pick it up.

Like TurnipFritter said they better get those load times under control since that was ridiculous,e specially with the game's high encounter rate.

It would be nice if they also included a "Maya Mode" where she wasn't a silent protagonist but that's pretty unlikely. I hope these games give some renewed interest and those games finally result in some Persona 2 merchandise though...

On the topic of Survivor 2 I was surprised with how much more immediately violent it was. With DS1 society takes a while to break down and people start killing each other but here it's crashed subways with bodies thrown about and monsters turning npcs to ash.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 29, 2012

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

No one cared about P2IS in the US, so there's no way in hell it's coming over. Not enough teenage anime dating for today's Atlus fans. Plus by the time they could get a US release out the PSP would be deader than a doornail. Don't get your hopes up.

It is kind of funny that EP was the only one to come over back in the PSX days and IS was the only one to come over now, though.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

MarsDragon posted:

No one cared about P2IS in the US, so there's no way in hell it's coming over. Not enough teenage anime dating for today's Atlus fans. Plus by the time they could get a US release out the PSP would be deader than a doornail. Don't get your hopes up.

It is kind of funny that EP was the only one to come over back in the PSX days and IS was the only one to come over now, though.

They did remake P1 and IS, though. And published P4 on a dying ps2, as well as DS2 on DS and not 3DS.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Dehry posted:

Dia, Dia everywhere. I've gotten things down to 5HP and the entire party has healed. This shouldn't happen at level 10.

So far I like the difficulty. I have not fought in any of the gimmick battles so my opinion may change.

Newcomers are hosed though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

Honestly couldn't they just slap the PSX translation on, change the P1 cameo characters' names so that they are back to their Japaneses version and call it a day? I doubt it would be a huge release but I would think that the Persona name at this point is worth some sort of profit even if it's on an outdated system. I don't think people are exactly busting at the seams to upgrade to the Vita and 3DS yet.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Having never owned a psp and only interested in one for persona related reasons, I was curious as to whether anyone's played them on the vita. They seem to be on the list of downloadable titles so should be playable on it, right?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Yarrington posted:

Having never owned a psp and only interested in one for persona related reasons, I was curious as to whether anyone's played them on the vita. They seem to be on the list of downloadable titles so should be playable on it, right?

Yes Persona 1 and 2 work on the VITA and they look...good. The cutscenes are great looking but the gameplay looks kinda grainy but playable.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

e: I'm smart. :downs:

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Iceclaw posted:

They did remake P1 and IS, though. And published P4 on a dying ps2, as well as DS2 on DS and not 3DS.

This plus infinity. They're not going to refrain from releasing Persona games in English, since it's their leading franchise, and Persona 3 is to be thanked for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

All Atlus has to do is release a PSN version alongside it so they're Vita-compatible. Of course lowering the prices on their games to even $30 would be an improvement as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just ordered Persona 4 because I've been hearing about it for years and have been on a bit of a Japanese game kick lately. I'm going in pretty much knowing nothing beyond what's in the OP here and knowing some character names and stuff from Giant Bomb (haven't watched the ER obviously). Looking at the Before I Play thing seems absolutely confusing as poo poo, is this stuff that the game will definitely explain even if only briefly? I want to play without a guide but I also don't want to get stuck in an unwinnable situation halfway into what seems like a longass game. I think I asked this in the Before I Play thread actually and apparently the manual is quite good and will clear up alot of those terms which is nice but it still seems very possible to screw yourself over unknowingly, is it?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vita can play P1, P2 and P3P as long as you get the digital versions. Then you get P4 Vita.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thebardyspoon posted:

Just ordered Persona 4 because I've been hearing about it for years and have been on a bit of a Japanese game kick lately. I'm going in pretty much knowing nothing beyond what's in the OP here and knowing some character names and stuff from Giant Bomb (haven't watched the ER obviously). Looking at the Before I Play thing seems absolutely confusing as poo poo, is this stuff that the game will definitely explain even if only briefly? I want to play without a guide but I also don't want to get stuck in an unwinnable situation halfway into what seems like a longass game. I think I asked this in the Before I Play thread actually and apparently the manual is quite good and will clear up alot of those terms which is nice but it still seems very possible to screw yourself over unknowingly, is it?

Hahah, I doubt you'll need any of that. Persona 4 is fairly simple and there are tutorials ingame. It's not an easy game, but you shouldn't get into an unwinnable situation if you play it right (ie. don't wait until the last day to explore the dungeon.)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

thebardyspoon posted:

It is possible but the game is actually pretty forgiving about allowing you to progress compared to other SMT games. The only way to screw yourself over is waiting too long to tackle dungeons since you have a time limit for each. Once each dungeon presents itself you should try to take it down without delaying too much, since that way you won't find yourself against the wall. As Before I Play points out, you'll find the first couple dungeons to be particularly difficult because you're not well equipped and aren't familiar with the game yet. Once you get them figured out the rest of the game should come naturally.

You can still miss out on stuff but that's to be expected; it's virtually impossible to see everything in one go without a guide so don't even try.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
You'll need a guide for a series of questions in October which must be answered correctly. Else, just go into it blind.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

You might want to check out a guide for fusing, quests, and test answers, but it's not really crucial.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does anyone have any tips for the fourth day boss in DS2? Any demon combos would be appreciated. Getting to the boss is just a pain since those stupid birds move so goddamn fast and just murder my demons with mazan or berserk.

e: I know it was practically the same thing in DS1 (IIRC at least) but I wish Free Battles actually gave decent xp and weren't just basically there for money + skill farming. :\

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 1, 2012

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the fourth day boss in DS2? Any demon combos would be appreciated. Getting to the boss is just a pain since those stupid birds move so goddamn fast and just murder my demons with mazan or berserk.

Avian Suparna (lv 31) is great for this level as it resists force/phys and has flight. (Wilder Afanc (lv 33) would be good too, but you're probably going to need to grind for it if you want one.) Put Ice Dance, Ice Boost and Anti-Force on your best mage (Drain and Anti-Phys would be nice too), give them a Suparna and another demon with force resistance and preferably a good ice attack, then let them head up across the water, via the raft floating in the middle (and get rid of the spawn point there while they're at it).

Have the rest of the group prioritize destroying the spawn points. You'll want at least one of them capable of moving across water, to get at the boat on the left side. (It certainly won't hurt to bring more than one Suparna, even if it is a bit boring.)

The birds are weak to ailments - you may have some luck stoning/charming them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: I know it was practically the same thing in DS1 (IIRC at least) but I wish Free Battles actually gave decent xp and weren't just basically there for money + skill farming. :\

This is the one that shoots exploding things? Prioritize destroying the spawn points first. Focus on defensive over offensive. I had a MAG-heavy protagonist with the appropriate elemental dance and he could finish the boss in one round for each of his movement patterns. Phys will probably have a harder time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Click the picture to see more of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Screenshots for EPortable:

Fake edit: POLICENAUT, DON'T POST BEFORE ME DAWG, IT'S UNBECOMING. :mad:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any word on whether the updates and additions will be of the same or greater order as Innocent Sin?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Oh man persona 2 era igor is god drat frightening.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Any word on whether the updates and additions will be of the same or greater order as Innocent Sin?

Well I dunno if it'll be the same magnitude of IS but here's what Famitsu says, care of the link I posted

quote:

...the PSP version of the followup to Persona 2 Innocent Sin offers greatly improved load times, event scene skipping, and various options for battle, including the ability to toggle pointer memory, set window color, and switch battle animations to simple.

The game also has new scenarios from Tadashi Satomi, writer of the original's scenario. These follow the exploits of Tatsuya Suou, the original's main character.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Velvet Room in 2 always gave me this legit-creepy Twin Peaks type vibe. There's a bunch of weird characters hanging out in it instead of just Igor and a cute assistant.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

According to the article:
They listened to a lot of complaints people had about IS, and reduced the load times, they also added a way to fastforward during cutscenes. Apparently the new scenario added in shows what Tatsuya's up to during the events of EP.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh man, now I have to somehow work in time to finish P2:IS, and I've got like 5 JRPGs on my plate between now and April. :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Best change is Cat Philemon.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I'm liking the black. All the red in the P2:IS menus wears on my eyes when I'm playing it for several hours straight.

Policenaut posted:

How'd they go about that? After Gungnir x Growlanser 4 I've just totally blanked on Atlus USA announcement tactics.

Nearly missed this, sorry! Basically they sent out a copy of the Atlus Faithful newsletter from June 23, 1999 to the Atlus Faithful mailing list, in which it says "Absolutely no new games releasing today in Japan" and "looks like there really isn't anything out in Japan this week to talk about." when P2:IS was originally released in Japan on that date.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Wait...why is Philemon a cat now?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Wait...why is Philemon a cat now?

That cat isn't standing in Philemon's Chamber. :ssh:
He's saying, "Platoon, tenhut!"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 1, 2012

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Gotta love all the ways he fucks with the heads of the main crew if that's really him.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The way the cat's dressed immediately made me think of Strange Journey, if only for a moment.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Marogareh posted:

Gotta love all the ways he fucks with the heads of the main crew if that's really him.

It just says "Cat: Platoon, ten-hut!", so god knows.

The other new character designs look a little...off. There's not much you can do when you're adding stuff in a decade later, but it's still a bit jarring. The lady with Tatsuya especially.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, and just wondering was there supposed to be a way to save Keita?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, and just wondering was there supposed to be a way to save Keita?

Go to him as soon as possible. Save the dancer woman right away, then view the cutscene where they all look at destroyed Tokyo right away. If you do it right, you'll save him instead of him dying in the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Does anyone if all the Persona PSP remakes (excluding 4 of course) are possible to play on the Vita, or will be in the future? I am extremely tempted to buy one if I could play every Persona game on it.