Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'll gladly take partial credit for that.

Because it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ignore me i am dumb.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 29, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
^^Too late!

Fragmented posted:

Hey Gravy Jones is there an option i'm maybe missing to convert the price to dollars and i'm dumb? Or could you maybe add that? Like a button that does the conversion? I'm a very lazy man.

Great site though!

See the 'uk' at the end of the URL in the address bar? Just delete that and hit enter.

http://legoogel.com/raw/

Ahh, the regional links look new to me. Very helpful! I haven't had a chance to make good use of it yet but I thank you kindly for the work Gravy Jones.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 29, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Thanks!

Outside of the UK there seems to be a lot less movement and big price drops than I realised so it's probably of less use. Although I know there some people outside of Europe keep an eye on some of the big sets in places like Italy because there can be some significant discounts that make up for international shipping (Unimog is a third off in Spain for example). Also because Amazon US doesn't ship internationally Europe is the only option for some sets in some places (Australia I think is one). You can get the same information elsewhere but it updates a lot more often than most other Lego specific price aggregators and people (particularly goon type people) seem to dig single no-nonsense info-dump page.

There is also, as has been pointed out, better sites for people who want to track specific big sets. At the end of the day it was designed for people like me. I opportunistically buy sets that hit 40-50% off that I think will be fun to build with my kid and then stash them under my desk at work (current count: 3) and take one home every couple of weeks :) A lot of these are price matching third party retailers and the price goes up again when they go out of stock. Some of them are only there for a couple of hours tops and more complete, but less regularly updated checkers miss them or get them to late.

I'm working on phase two at the moment which is standard front end because there are some people who aren't going to like the circa Netscape 2.0 style look, it's also a lot more geared towards search engines. Currently the data/client side of things is hosted on the free-tier of Amazon Web Services and costs like 15c a day over what you get for free. However after a free year that'll jump to a few hundred bucks a year so I'll either pick up a lot more traffic, scale it way back or call it a day.

Once that's done (a week or so) I need to sit down and do a bit of data cleansing. Then it pretty much runs itself and I can work on phase three. Which is looking at cool ways of displaying and manipulating information and basically just experimenting with a big stable set of data. That was actually the original purpose of the project. I kind of got sidetracked!

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 29, 2012

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Capoeira Capybara posted:

This is really great. This sums up all that is good in the world when you are a kid: Lego, Dinosaurs, and nonfatal faction violence. I was having a wretched day, and your Dino Riders cheered me up. I especially love the ant guy's head.

Great job!

Oh ho ho, glad to help. Here's one more:

I'm pretty sure this one was at least three separate Dino-Riders toys.

Back view. I'm working with a really limited parts supply, so most of these came off the other two...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Thanks!

I've got like two sets just from seeing the price drop on legoogel alone so great job. It's definitely handy.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Red posted:

I'm still amazed that Bionicle did as well as it did (or does?). I just can't see the appeal of the Bionicle line.

I honestly can't see the Friends line lasting, but I kind of hope it does, because they need encouragement to keep trying new things.

Honestly, I wish the Lego site let you design and buy individual blocks. At the very least, they'd cash in on people creating personalized minifigures. But really, it'd just streamline their pick-a-brick process.

I'm not sure you realize how expensive it is for Lego to create a single new part, much less letting people design whatever kind of brick they want.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

runwiled posted:

I want you to know that I blame all of you for this:

I made a promise to myself that once I got a better job and got my first paycheck, I'd scratch a LEGO itch that you lot got me thinking about after so many years. I've just dedicated an entire evening to sitting on my floor and assembling plastic bricks. I hope you're all happy...

I know I am :)
Is this set still available?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this set still available?

It is Lego 5892 Sonic Boom. And it is insanely awesome. I have seen a few on shelves in the last few months, but they are mostly out of stock and getting scalp-priced now. It is really big, and really sturdy, and really nice. Very likely my favorite lego set of the last few years.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The_Doctor posted:

So I've been musing about the current thread title and I've come to the conclusion that if they reinvented Time Cruisers as a space/ground line with an awesome light up interchangeable time travel flux capacitor unit that could attach to all the different vehicles instead of the swirly white disc, that would just be great. Like some sort of Exo-squad-esque line with Time Police vs Paradox agents trying to save/change history.

Also, definitely move away from the 'random bits thrown together' look.

A page or two ago someone had an idea for a "museum" line to incorporate a bunch of historic mini-figs, but I don't think that has a lot of appeal for kids. Do I buy the snake-jet or the museum display of a roman soldier in a tent? But if you combined a time-traveling theme with historical sets, it could be fantastic. The time-travelers could go to any time period, and with the collectible mini-figs, you've already got most of the pieces for stuff like: Cleopatra and Marc Anthony meet Doctor Who Bill & Ted our heroes, our heroes visit the labyrinth of the minotaur, our heroes meet ancient cavemen/women, our heroes travel to 1920s chicago and get in a shoot-out with gangsters, our heroes travel to the old west, etc. etc. It's the same idea as the original Time Cruisers- use a broad theme to collect pieces you've already got into one line. But cool.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

A page or two ago someone had an idea for a "museum" line to incorporate a bunch of historic mini-figs, but I don't think that has a lot of appeal for kids. Do I buy the snake-jet or the museum display of a roman soldier in a tent? But if you combined a time-traveling theme with historical sets, it could be fantastic. The time-travelers could go to any time period, and with the collectible mini-figs, you've already got most of the pieces for stuff like: Cleopatra and Marc Anthony meet Doctor Who Bill & Ted our heroes, our heroes visit the labyrinth of the minotaur, our heroes meet ancient cavemen/women, our heroes travel to 1920s chicago and get in a shoot-out with gangsters, our heroes travel to the old west, etc. etc. It's the same idea as the original Time Cruisers- use a broad theme to collect pieces you've already got into one line. But cool.

I seriously suggest you send them that suggestion in a letter. I'll sign it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, I wish the Western theme would come back. I kinda want to buy some of them off Bricklink. Westerns are cool and it makes me sad that nobody cares for that genre anymore. :smith:

I really want to make a western train robbery MOC now.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Haven't seen this posted yet so here is a neat interview/article http://www.wlwt.com/r/30568783/detail.html CNN did with the creator of this.

Not only do I love Lego, I love Mario Brother just as much and this level was hell but looks amazing in Lego.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rythe posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet so here is a neat interview/article http://www.wlwt.com/r/30568783/detail.html CNN did with the creator of this.

Not only do I love Lego, I love Mario Brother just as much and this level was hell but looks amazing in Lego.

I immediately heard the music in my head.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

I immediately heard the music in my head.

Glad I'm not the only one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TO0N4KxzPE

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, I wish the Western theme would come back. I kinda want to buy some of them off Bricklink. Westerns are cool and it makes me sad that nobody cares for that genre anymore. :smith:

I'm pushing hard for that Western town on Cuuso.

Now you're making me actually want LEGO train sets.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I especially love it because I wrote them a letter as a kid suggesting it.

The engine was the only part of the Toy Story train I kept together to use in a Western town I keep meaning to make. It's a little cartoony but whatever, toot-toot.

Also keep eying lots of western figs on eBay.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Playmobil was always greatly inferior to Lego, but playmobil had a western train set and god it was loving awesome.

Lego trains are awesome. Because trains are awesome. (My grandpa was big into model trains and trains in general, so I kind of have a little love of trains in my blood I guess, especially steam locomotives.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Yeah I really want the western stuff, and a western train would rule.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They should just do a train set for every theme.

Space Train. Pirate Train. Castle Train. Don't ask me to explain how or why.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Space Train

Oh man if they made another space monorail I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Too bad they'll never make another (compatible) monorail though

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Now I really badly want these sets:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7597-1
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7594-1

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Rythe posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet so here is a neat interview/article

Holy crap. I think I might have found a new project. I used to design and draw those on long pieces of spool-fed dot matrix printer paper when I was a kid. Time to revisit the concept, maybe.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rocket Ace posted:

What ever happened to generic, gender neutral creativity? I find that a lot of these new sets are PLAYSETS, rather than construction sets.

I'm not even sure LEGO believes their products are gender neutral anymore, even disregarding their latest attempt at drawing in girls. In that recent TV show where they toured the LEGO factory and talked about how LEGO is made, even the designers said their greatest joy was "... making a great product that boys will love."

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

Rythe posted:

This brings back awesome yet terrible memories from childhood.

click to visit my metal detecting blog - updated 6/17/2012

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not even sure LEGO believes their products are gender neutral anymore, even disregarding their latest attempt at drawing in girls. In that recent TV show where they toured the LEGO factory and talked about how LEGO is made, even the designers said their greatest joy was "... making a great product that boys will love."

This is the one thing about that show that bothered me so much.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here's a question; Does anyone know what sort of process LEGO has when creating their build instructions? It seems virtually every set I've purchased follows a different standard and all have different conventions. Some sets have the instructions on backer boards, others don't. Some instructions list the pieces for each step in a callout box, others don't. Some sets break the instructions up into multiple manuals, and others of the same size don't. Some sets have weird mini-comics in the back of the manual, others from the same series don't.

It all seems a bit schizophrenic on LEGO's part. I wouldn't mind better colour accuracy of the pieces in the drawing either, as telling apart black from dark grey, and brown from maroon can be a challenge at times.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's a question; Does anyone know what sort of process LEGO has when creating their build instructions? It seems virtually every set I've purchased follows a different standard and all have different conventions. Some sets have the instructions on backer boards, others don't. Some instructions list the pieces for each step in a callout box, others don't. Some sets break the instructions up into multiple manuals, and others of the same size don't. Some sets have weird mini-comics in the back of the manual, others from the same series don't.

It all seems a bit schizophrenic on LEGO's part. I wouldn't mind better colour accuracy of the pieces in the drawing either, as telling apart black from dark grey, and brown from maroon can be a challenge at times.

The backer boards are being included in any set over a certain size. I can't remember off-hand if it's by price or by box size. The piece callouts are usually based on step complexity, I believe. I don't know why the instructions are or aren't split across multiple booklets, though. If you've got any specific examples I can ask around.

The black pieces are outlined in white now for most new sets. As for maroon and brown and some of the blues and greys in sets like the Pet Shop, yeah, those can be tough sometimes.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Man, Rise of the Sphinx down to £18 (56%) off at Amazon.co.uk. And I thought I was getting a good deal when I bought it for £26 last week. That's crazy cheap, I'm tempted to get another.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zonko_T.M. posted:

But if you combined a time-traveling theme with historical sets, it could be fantastic. The time-travelers could go to any time period, and with the collectible mini-figs, you've already got most of the pieces for stuff like: Cleopatra and Marc Anthony meet Doctor Who Bill & Ted our heroes, our heroes visit the labyrinth of the minotaur, our heroes meet ancient cavemen/women, our heroes travel to 1920s chicago and get in a shoot-out with gangsters, our heroes travel to the old west, etc. etc. It's the same idea as the original Time Cruisers- use a broad theme to collect pieces you've already got into one line. But cool.

That's an absolutely fantastic concept. Mix and match the bits together as need be. I'm seeing a Roman temple with hidden Time Police HQ behind the facade, that sort of thing. Wild West stagecoach with Paradox agents tech over it. Oh my..

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Light Gun Man posted:

They should just do a train set for every theme.

Space Train. Pirate Train. Castle Train. Don't ask me to explain how or why.
Ghost Train.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Man, Rise of the Sphinx down to £18 (56%) off at Amazon.co.uk. And I thought I was getting a good deal when I bought it for £26 last week. That's crazy cheap, I'm tempted to get another.

is it a fun build? I was considering it and definitely super tempted now. But I'd probably end up using it for parts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Invictus posted:

I love these in particular, how would I go about getting started if I wanted to do this sort of thing myself, with no collection to speak of? Just get Bionicle kits and get a collection of parts together? Are the appropriate parts sold in the "Pick'n'mix" sections of Lego stores? (though I don't think there are any near me now)

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Joramun posted:

Ghost Train.

Just take all my money, right now, please. I love that the disc on the front switches to a ghost-face that looks like the Count from Sesame Street. Even the plane is neat, with the tubing and the giant barrel on top. :allears:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I haven't built it yet. Still in a (slightly damaged) box under my desk. I like the look of it and I like the theme in general. I relly like the look of it in terms of pieces though. 500+ for under £20 and. Lots of interesting slopes and nice colours (the ones on his headress thing look really nice, dark blue and dark red slopes and corners). Not too many big pieces compares to say Atlantis sets of a similar size.

Here's a good pictorial Eurobricks review: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50500

Also:

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 1, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Just take all my money, right now, please. I love that the disc on the front switches to a ghost-face that looks like the Count from Sesame Street.
It reminded me of the front of the car in the Ghostbusters cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih0hmi9s1cw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Joramun posted:

Ghost Train.

I love the new Ghost minifigs with the wibbly top bit.

Also, who is your av of?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Also, who is your av of?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2023050/ :allears:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Paragon8 posted:

is it a fun build? I was considering it and definitely super tempted now. But I'd probably end up using it for parts.

Not so much. It's a good set but most of the build is in the four legs of the sphinx, which are repetitive as hell to put together. The car is really neat, and the completed sphinx is pretty impressive, though. For that price it's worth having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Joramun posted:

Ghost Train.

I normally don't care much about new sets, but that's just awesome. I might have to pick it up. Is there an MSRP yet?

Edit: The ghosts do glow, right?

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 1, 2012