Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

house of suns, century rain

those two are standalones, a lot of his other stuff is in a single universe

definitely not pushing ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

house of suns, century rain

those two are standalones, a lot of his other stuff is in a single universe

oh I did read house of suns, that was pretty good. i'll check out century rain, thanks for the tip. :glomp:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

hey you know how you nerds were wanking on about the idea of low level employees on a scifi space station or spaceship thing?

well your prayers have been answered

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/space-janitors/5406-Space-Janitors-Episode-1

it is bad

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
well i remember the wanking aprt but the rest not so much?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

NINbuntu 64 posted:

hey you know how you nerds were wanking on about the idea of low level employees on a scifi space station or spaceship thing?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/space-janitors/5406-Space-Janitors-Episode-1

it is bad

i think there was a stipulation that it would need to be good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NINbuntu 64 posted:

not me, brochacho

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

would you watch a show about irl CJs? not "oh lol the IT crowd" but a serious show about CJs? how about plumbers? electricians?

sounds like the dullest poo poo to me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

well does the culture show up soon because reading about some nerdy medieval prince was getting old already

nerdy medieval prince's sister is a Special Circumstances agent and the main character of the book

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i watched and enjoyed this

http://vodo.net/l5

kickstarter-esque-funded sci fi show, only the one episode so far it looks like, run time about 30 minutes, legit free on bittorrent. thoughts?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

toby posted:

i think there was a stipulation that it would need to be good

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
How about some old Sci-Fi? I've been watching the Andromeda Strain and it's pretty cool, especially the computer systems.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I haven't read Andromeda strain, but hearing it makes me think of the threads in McCaffery's pern books, even though I know that isn't what it's about.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

coaxmetal posted:

I haven't read Andromeda strain, but hearing it makes me think of the threads in McCaffery's pern books, even though I know that isn't what it's about.

It's pretty dry, it's one of Crichton's first books and basically is like all of his, a lot factually correct techno/historical babble, characters with different flaws, and the flavor of the story is micro biology and disease vectors.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

It's pretty dry, it's one of Crichton's first books and basically is like all of his, a lot factually correct techno/historical babble, characters with different flaws, and the flavor of the story is micro biology and disease vectors.

Crichton was a hack, but Terminal Man, The Great Train Robbery and Andromeda were pretty good for the times. And the old movies of TGTR and Andromeda are well worth watching.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And that horrible Westworld FPS. :twisted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm gunna go off on sci fi cause why not. what the gently caress happened to the dudes that even built that CDC bunker for Andromeda Strain? everyone who writes sci fi is just like yeah we got this super secret base and I think leprechauns built it!

but you know there's a mass grave filled with the corpses of contractors who built these sci fi bunkers in the first place

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
"but I just poured cement what are you doing?!" and bam some dude gets shot with a space laser in the head and dumped in a pit he himself dug

lol sci fi

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Crichton was a hack, but Terminal Man, The Great Train Robbery and Andromeda were pretty good for the times. And the old movies of TGTR and Andromeda are well worth watching.

Eh, I liked a lot of his books for entertainment. Eaters of the Dead and Jurassic Park were a good read, especially how in the book version of Jurassic Park Muldoon runs around the park with a shitload of weapons and actually blows up a velociraptor with a rocket launcher. That and he lives.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

Eh, I liked a lot of his books for entertainment. Eaters of the Dead and Jurassic Park were a good read, especially how in the book version of Jurassic Park Muldoon runs around the park with a shitload of weapons and actually blows up a velociraptor with a rocket launcher. That and he lives.

and Hammond dies in the first book

not Spielberg kid friendly

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

and Hammond dies in the first book

not Spielberg kid friendly

and its just the boy who knows unix not the girl!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey guys we got this new spaceship from starfleet. try to ignore the shrieking skulls embedded in the hull. it's just teleporter accidents.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
And Grant liked kids, Spielberg!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hey guys we got this new spaceship from starfleet. try to ignore the shrieking skulls embedded in the hull. it's just teleporter accidents.

I think we just found the ship for Captain Wesley Crusher.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
reminder that crichton was so petty that he wrote one of his critics into a book as a guy who molested children because he had a small penis

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

reminder that crichton was so petty that he wrote one of his critics into a book as a guy who molested children because he had a small penis

Yeah, after Rising Sun he started to go downhill in lots of respect, really bad after Timeline.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
quick, somebody light the kirk signal

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SmokaDustbowl posted:

"but I just poured cement what are you doing?!" and bam some dude gets shot with a space laser in the head and dumped in a pit he himself dug

lol sci fi

What, you couldn't blindfold them, then drive them out to the desert to work? No cell phones or gps in those days, not like they'd have a clue of where they were.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Finished Andromeda Strain a few hours ago, it's a good movie and people should watch it. Make sure it's the 1971 version and not the terrible miniseries.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

SmokaDustbowl posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9w6HgziVrg#t=0m51s

The Store
May 2, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

it is bad

didn't Red Dwarf do this and better

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

The Store posted:

didn't Red Dwarf do this and better

Seasons 1 and 2, yes. After that well....

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LP97S posted:

Yeah, after Rising Sun he started to go downhill in lots of respect, really bad after Timeline.

I couldn't even finish Rising Sun it was so stupid and racist

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

qirex posted:

that's the one with the dead hooker where chuck norris is the hero right?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

somebody post the picture where the cover of "jurassic park" was changed to read "science is evil and will kill us all"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

quick, somebody light the kirk signal

lol is that the actual cover b/c if so, gj on them for reusing stock art

toby
Dec 4, 2002

*sees a tiny picture of the enterprise, immediately recognizes the source image, kills self*

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol is that the actual cover b/c if so, gj on them for reusing stock art

:effort:

open unpublished-qfanfic.docx
s/Q/The Doctor/g
submit to publisher

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

toby posted:

*sees a tiny picture of the enterprise, immediately recognizes the source image, kills self*

oh, i've been dead inside for much longer than that

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

qirex posted:

And then he followed it up with Disclosure. Michael Crichton was pretty much a proto-redditor.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

finished season 1 of sg1 and it's really good so far

the alternate reality episode was kinda dumb though especially since daniel is supposed to be smart! not being able to figure it out until samantha carter spells it out for him was kinda dumb

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Mind Spew posted:

finished season 1 of sg1 and it's really good so far

the alternate reality episode was kinda dumb though especially since daniel is supposed to be smart! not being able to figure it out until samantha carter spells it out for him was kinda dumb

He's an archaeologist and he's been living in a desert without electricity for like 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i'm in season 5 of tng now, god drat there are some good episodes

'darmok' was brilliant, 'silicon avatar' was solid

• Locked thread