Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sprawl posted:

Yea now that the new shaw stuff is out, the gateway/exo stuff, they support 1080p on the device.
They also support 6 recording at a time and internet upto 100 mbit which is all superior to telus tech except for the smart phone app for remote recording.

Dammit :negative: I wish I hadn't done the Telus 3yr contract now, more than ever.

Oh well at least it's somewhat cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

priznat posted:

Dammit :negative: I wish I hadn't done the Telus 3yr contract now, more than ever.

Oh well at least it's somewhat cheap.

yea the telus stuff is cheaper per month and i dont think they track internet usage properly still

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
loving hell - I've gone with a local DSL provider in Kitchener for almost two years now, and their speeds are poo poo. I get no more than 3Mbit down, which is useless when you have two VPN connections, plus Netflix. I even let them setup bonded DSL for me, but the second line does nothing. I just cancelled service and decided to go back to cable, but found out that Teksavvy isn't bringing on more customers in Kitchener-Waterloo. Looks like I'm back with Rogers ... :ughh:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just upgraded from 5Mbit DSL on Teksavvy to 16Mbit. It was pretty good rapage for the new fees/changes applied, but otherwise painless and done within a week. The actual outage was a few hours of the afternoon, with most of it being my own problem with a lovely demarc point that needed redoing.

I'll still get on Cable as soon as it's offered, however. Reselling Cogecoland will be VERY nice. The infrastructure is already super solid.

We uh... have Cogeco 30Mbit and Teksavvy 16Mbit. Multi-gateway setup with outbound routing. Geek haus!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

krooj posted:

loving hell - I've gone with a local DSL provider in Kitchener for almost two years now, and their speeds are poo poo. I get no more than 3Mbit down, which is useless when you have two VPN connections, plus Netflix. I even let them setup bonded DSL for me, but the second line does nothing. I just cancelled service and decided to go back to cable, but found out that Teksavvy isn't bringing on more customers in Kitchener-Waterloo. Looks like I'm back with Rogers ... :ughh:

Why don't you check out Distributel? http://www.distributel.ca/

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

krooj posted:

I was with Teksavvy for a while in the KW area and ended up moving back to Rogers because in the evenings it was like having dialup again. It made me pretty sad too. I didn't go for DSL because no way am I going back to 5Mbit or less in the year 2012. (Bell's 16 or 25 service is, last time I checked, not available here.)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Why don't you check out Distributel? http://www.distributel.ca/

Okay, so good question. One of the sketchiest guys I know uses this service, and add to that, the fact that when I called them, I got a hold of the shadiest sales guy I've ever spoken to on the phone. He kept on emphasizing how I needed to pay some $ amount right then and there, over and over again. Then he dropped the tsar bomba: I register and pay on Feb 24th for installation on ... March 10th? That's for changing some cable filters and dropping off a modem.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Sup KW goon buddies. I have been with Rogers since they introduced Wave in like.. 1997? I keep watching and waiting for a better option but...

Has anyone used Acanac here in town? Apparently they have cable in my area. It'd be really nice to find something my synchronous than Rogers' connection. And less throttling.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

mr.belowaverage posted:

Has anyone used Acanac here in town? Apparently they have cable in my area. It'd be really nice to find something my synchronous than Rogers' connection. And less throttling.

One friend of mine who lives in Waterloo swears by Acanac DSL. I think he mostly likes the price and unlimited usage. Another friend of mine was going to get Acanac cable set up in Kitchener but he got impatient waiting for them. He called Rogers who had him set up within a day or two, so unfortunately I have no idea what the actual service is like. For what it's worth Rogers did announce they'll be getting rid of throttling by the end of the year, but that could mean anytime between March and December.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
We've had essentially nothing but good things to say about Teksavvy here in Waterloo. I get the rated+ speeds for probably 29/30 days in the month. Super pleased.

I would like to complain about this snow removal I hear about, though. I think it's a fable.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

We've had essentially nothing but good things to say about Teksavvy here in Waterloo. I get the rated+ speeds for probably 29/30 days in the month. Super pleased.

I would like to complain about this snow removal I hear about, though. I think it's a fable.

The only thing the city puts any money into is mowing grass and, apparently, picking up leaves from the side of the road.

To keep this on topic, my DSL connection is terrible, and switching providers didn't help at all (to be fair I switched because we kept getting outages). Every time I visit my parent's house I'm annoyed that they have a better connection than me since it makes almost no difference to them.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm in KW too and you have a few options. If you go with any of the third party cable isp's I would suggest you wait if/until Rogers bumps their speeds (from 24mbps to 28mbps for instance). This should occur by mid-March. The reason to wait is that they aren't really upgrading the TPIA's backhaul connection and it's possible to end up with another serious congestion issue that could take months to resolve.

Yak is another KW specific isp that runs their own DSLAMS so it only uses Bell for the copper wire from the office to your home. If you're close enough to their DSLAM you'll probably be really happy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm actually pretty surprised that KW doesn't have better connections available, considering how Canada keeps trying to brand this place as the Silicon Valley of the North.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
^^^^ I'm laughing on the outside, but dying on the inside.

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm in KW too and you have a few options. If you go with any of the third party cable isp's I would suggest you wait if/until Rogers bumps their speeds (from 24mbps to 28mbps for instance). This should occur by mid-March. The reason to wait is that they aren't really upgrading the TPIA's backhaul connection and it's possible to end up with another serious congestion issue that could take months to resolve.

Yak is another KW specific isp that runs their own DSLAMS so it only uses Bell for the copper wire from the office to your home. If you're close enough to their DSLAM you'll probably be really happy.

The key here is being *really* close. Someone I know that lives in the Kaufman lofts gets insane speed off his DSL connection, because the C/O is on Water St. I was on Brock (W. side of Vic park), and moved about 1km west, then things went to hell. I think the whole local DSL provider thing is a fantastic deal... just make sure you're close enough.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So my mom finally switched from ExploreNet satellite internet that is literally no better than dialup, and went with the Turbo Hub Flex 15GB 24M. See that "15GB" in the name of her plan that she is paying $45 a month for? That's not how much bandwidth you have with the plan.

Bell Cocksuckers posted:

With the Turbo Hub Flex plan, your monthly fee automatically adjusts according to your monthly data usage, so you always get the best rate.
-$45 up to 3 GB
-$55 more than 3 MB and up to 5 GB
-$70 more than 5 GB and up to 10GB
-$90 more than 10GB and up to 15GB
-Data usage over 15 GB: $0.015/MB
-Data speeds up to 7.2 Mbps
-Data Usage
-Device type - Turbo Hub
-Basic Long Distance Rate
-Data 3G Stepped
-Restrict int'l roaming
-SIM Lock

She's had this for less than a month, sent a few emails, did a little surfing, and watched a few youtube vids. . . total bandwidth usage is. 10.85GB So she's looking forward to a $90 bill for bandwidth she isn't using.

How are they calculating this? She doesn't use netflix, doesn't use torrents, doesn't upload and download HD video, or anything else that would explain this usage. Hell, she even turns the modem off when it's not in use. Now she's going to be paying $90 for usage she didn't use, and all the customer support people in India will do is read from a script and do nothing to address the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

The Roadwarrior
Aug 23, 2003

I spend too much time thinking about the Montreal Canadiens.

Blistex posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

Does she have it locked down or is she operating a wireless hotspot for the community?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Roadwarrior posted:

Does she have it locked down or is she operating a wireless hotspot for the community?

Also, what OS is she running? Did a bunch of updates download quickly now that she has something approximating broadband Internet access?

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 28, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Install DU Meter

It'll monitor and log usage, as well can be set to notify you when you approach thresholds of data use.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Roadwarrior posted:

She's in a rural area with the closest neighbor about 1.5km away, hence having satellite Internet before, and now the Bell Hub.

mediaphage posted:

Also, what OS is she running? Did a bunch of updates download quickly now that she has something approximating broadband Internet access?

Win 7, and it was up to date last month since she used to bring it into my place to download photos from emails (yes that's how lovely ExploreNet was). Auto updates were actually turned off because she couldn't download them with Explorenet and all it would do is slow her browsing down to nothing.

less than three posted:

Install DU Meter

It'll monitor and log usage, as well can be set to notify you when you approach thresholds of data use.

Sounds like a good idea, but will Bell give a poo poo? She's not using 10GB, hell I would eat my shorts if she even scraped 1GB that month.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Blistex posted:

Sounds like a good idea, but will Bell give a poo poo? She's not using 10GB, hell I would eat my shorts if she even scraped 1GB that month.

No they won't, unless the data usage is impossible from a technical standpoint. I'd do as mentioned above, make sure the wireless is secure and install DU meter.

It's not hard to use 1GB. YouTube uses ~21mb per minute, 45 minutes of YouTube and a gig's gone.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 29, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I was gonna say, 10 GB in a month from a desktop computer really doesn't seem like all that much. You say "a few youtube videos" but they can eat up a ton of bandwidth, especially if they're defaulting to HD.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If it turns out to be YouTube you can change your settings so it "defaults" to the lowest quality mode (Settings\Playback Setup\Video Playback Quality\"I have a slow connection. Never play high quality video). I'd consider that a must on a plan that low.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Absolutely useless for what I do but it's the only service I have with them, no phone or TV. I'm surprised it can hit that fast considering my area usually get's saturated pretty bad. (Shaw, bought out the local cable company and rolled out way faster speeds)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mandrill posted:

Absolutely useless for what I do but it's the only service I have with them, no phone or TV. I'm surprised it can hit that fast considering my area usually get's saturated pretty bad. (Shaw, bought out the local cable company and rolled out way faster speeds)

Shaw is a terrible company but they have really, really fast internet now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really hate those Shaw radio ads for Exo.. Vocoder poo poo is annoying.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sprawl posted:

Yeah, my area wont get the gateway for another 4-5 months looks like but that looks kind of neat, when that happens they're rolling out 250 meg internet as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How are bitcaps on Shaw?

Or is this just a new way to hit some sort of 120gb cap extra quickly?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So ordered Teksavvy two weeks ago with a 29th install date for the dry loop. Switching from Bell Aliant dry loop service so they could only do it on the termination of service day. So the installer from bell today took 10-15mins due to the easy switch. Provisioned the circuit and tested it with no issues but here's the kicker, Teksavvy didn't ship my modem.

Called them yesterday to see where the modem was(expected delivery) that took 30mins on hold trying to sort out my order and then said they would call me back at my account number. Nothing. Called again today and on hold 40min trying to sort it out and I might have a modem next week.

They are changing my billing interval for first day of service but it's still a bad messup as I use the connection for work.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Martytoof posted:

How are bitcaps on Shaw?

I have the 100mbit plan and the cap is 500gigs. There's also a slightly pricier one that gives you 750gigs I think and also an unlimited one.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/

the 50megabit one gives you 400gigs.

There's also a little cap bump if you join their "Friends" thing: http://www.shaw.ca/shaw-friends/

edit: I think I pay $110/month for the 100mbit + HD basic cable (all the canucks games woo!) + phone

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Martytoof posted:

How are bitcaps on Shaw?

They are tiered per plan. The 250 mbit plans have 1 TB and they have unlimited plans but they are very expensive.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/

efb;

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Sprawl posted:

It seems like their last ditch effort to try to get back at Telus for taking all their customers (that and loving up NIBs of customers that switch to Telus)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

neckbeard posted:

It seems like their last ditch effort to try to get back at Telus for taking all their customers (that and loving up NIBs of customers that switch to Telus)

Yea i'm forced to use shaw i'm my new building so i'm going to try out their $40 a month package for tv+internet with the gateway things. I hope it turns out okay.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Whatever happened to Shaw's turboboost thing, where they would ramp up download speeds for first several seconds of a download, and then ramp back down to the cap speed? I thought it was kind of a neat idea.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Shaw may have its problems but they've never done anything that even begins to compare with how lovely Telus has been to me so meh.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

rawrr posted:

Whatever happened to Shaw's turboboost thing, where they would ramp up download speeds for first several seconds of a download, and then ramp back down to the cap speed? I thought it was kind of a neat idea.

Still there, just not as noticeable on 50+mbps. on the 7mbps plan it would hit ~20mbps sometimes.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers has it but it really doesn't last for very long. Seems like maybe 5 seconds.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for American internet access getting shittier? My ISP just capped my internet at 150gb a month, and I go over that easily with MLB.tv and Hulu. :(

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

less than three posted:

No they won't, unless the data usage is impossible from a technical standpoint. I'd do as mentioned above, make sure the wireless is secure and install DU meter.

It's not hard to use 1GB. YouTube uses ~21mb per minute, 45 minutes of YouTube and a gig's gone.

Already set to default to lowest setting, and when I say, "A few youtube vids" I'm talking maybe 20, all ~3minute songs with static backgrounds or just lyrics. She's not a high-bandwidth user in any way. Her monthly usage should be somewhere under 2GB, not pushing 11GB.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rand alPaul posted:

Is there a thread for American internet access getting shittier? My ISP just capped my internet at 150gb a month, and I go over that easily with MLB.tv and Hulu. :(

MY 150GB Cap

:qqsay:

A lot of people using any of the big 3 ISPs in Canada would kill for that cap :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Stanley Pain posted:

MY 150GB Cap

:qqsay:

A lot of people using any of the big 3 ISPs in Canada would kill for that cap :D

I'm paying extra to bump my cap from 60GB to 100GB :(