Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hazo posted:

Is anybody still watching Finding Bigfoot? It keeps getting progressively funnier with each episode as we delve further into what kinds of absolutely crazy poo poo these guys sincerely believe.

Tonight's episode was sort of a clip show mixed with a town hall-style meeting where the good people of the Ohio backwoods asked them questions. So far we've learned that:

• Bigfoots have tremendous brain power, because their heads are larger than ours, because that's how these things work
  • They're so smart that they actively identify and avoid camouflaged camera traps, so that's why it's so hard to photograph them
  • Deer are an important part of Bigfoot diets. Bigfoots typically break the deer's legs before killing it. So basically they get close enough to torture large animals instead of killing them in a single blow because ?. However, they're totally not dangerous to people!
  • Bigfoots also understand the concept of poison, so if you put out bait for them you have to take bites of it yourself so the Bigfoot sentry (oh yeah, they have sentries!) who is watching you knows that you haven't poisoned it.
  • With all the above in mind, the best defense against a Bigfoot is shining a light at it, because it bewilders them.

Very well-reasoned-out, insightful stuff from these experienced and sensible researchers.
I want to ask one of them if these "Bigfoots" have a holiday called "Life Day" :allears: . I mean with ammount of intelligence they think the creatures have, are you hunting an ape like a gigantopithecus or are you hunting a Wookie.

Also how much money it would take to make a really authentic looking bigfoot costume, and maybe go out into the woods where they film and just throw rocks at them? They'll atleast have something to show and they can feel like their efforts arn't wasted. :unsmith:

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Check out Alone in the Wilderness if you've never seen it. This guy retires and decides to build himself a cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska where he lives on his own for the next 30 years. He filmed his day to day life to send to his family. They edited it all together. PBS plays it about once a year.

Apart from catching it on PBS, are there any easy ways to see this? NetFlix doesn't seem to carry it, even on DVD.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

wormil posted:

I didn't want to start a thread for it but Dirty Money on Green is a pretty good show.

It was on months ago on it's first run. Originally it was on Discovery i think but Green airs the reruns of several channels as new programs. I really enjoy the show and hope it gets a second season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toucan Sam posted:

It was on months ago on it's first run. Originally it was on Discovery i think but Green airs the reruns of several channels as new programs. I really enjoy the show and hope it gets a second season.

I thought it seemed like a Discovery type show. My wife hates those kind of shows but really enjoyed this one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sons of Guns - bullshit these two kids got married after dating for 6 episodes.

Sand Monster posted:

Apart from catching it on PBS, are there any easy ways to see this? NetFlix doesn't seem to carry it, even on DVD.

Can't say that I know of any.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

FogHelmut posted:

Sons of Guns - bullshit

All you need to say about those bonghits, really. :v:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

wormil posted:

I thought it seemed like a Discovery type show. My wife hates those kind of shows but really enjoyed this one.

It's actually really interesting. I like the fact that they make everything out of stuff everyone else discarded.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So I see they claim that Mythbusters is signed up for another 3 decades of shows or whatever ridiculous number but does that mean they'll be on a Sopranos schedule now? I guess they have that new show or whatever but drat, feels like they used to put out 6-8 months worth of new episodes a year and I don't even remember when their last one was.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I'm taking this horrible schedule to mean that the show is in it's final death throws. They just don't know how to break it to the fans. (Because the show is probably at the height of its success.)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Mythbusters has pretty consistently had a series of fall episodes and spring episodes the past few years, haven't they? April's about the time it should be starting up again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

All you need to say about those bonghits, really. :v:

The show needs less fake interpersonal bullshit and more footage of machining gun parts. Less fabricated and more fabrication.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FogHelmut posted:

The show needs less fake interpersonal bullshit and more footage of machining gun parts. Less fabricated and more fabrication.

I like the other show about guns better.. American Guns I think? The "OMG will this part fit?!? Yes. Of course it will." aspect is still there but I find that show way more enjoyable than Sons of Guns.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

kefkafloyd posted:

Mythbusters has pretty consistently had a series of fall episodes and spring episodes the past few years, haven't they? April's about the time it should be starting up again.

Yea like a day after I posted that they finally gave the premier date, which is March 25 at 9PM. They've moved to Sundays now, apparently.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone else watching Bering Sea Gold? I've been DVR'ing them on the off chance I ran out of things to watch then yesterday powered through the first six episodes and surprisingly liked it. It's not in any way about how to get gold but is eventful... stabbings, car wrecks, people falling overboard, getting knocked down by equipment, etc.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yep! The discussion for that has been happening in the Gold Rush thread since they're basically the same show. Idiots on land, idiots on water. Whole lot of broken down poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel kind of ashamed to admit this, but I find myself strangely comforted and engaged by a show on Animal Planet that's just footage of kittens followed by footage of puppies, all narrated by some guy describing what's happening in the footage. There's one hour with kittens followed by an hour with puppies and it comes on at midnight and for about three weeks I've just sat in bed and watched it all. It's like a less structured version of the Puppy Bowl.

If there were more than two episodes I think I might starve to death in front of my television. I don't know what's wrong with me. But this show is far better than Bigfoot Hunters.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

I feel kind of ashamed to admit this, but I find myself strangely comforted and engaged by a show on Animal Planet that's just footage of kittens followed by footage of puppies, all narrated by some guy describing what's happening in the footage. There's one hour with kittens followed by an hour with puppies and it comes on at midnight and for about three weeks I've just sat in bed and watched it all. It's like a less structured version of the Puppy Bowl.

If there were more than two episodes I think I might starve to death in front of my television. I don't know what's wrong with me. But this show is far better than Bigfoot Hunters.

The show is "Too Cute!", which is what I'm watching right now. They're airing new episodes on Saturday and I think they mentioned something about this being a new season, so there's at least one previous season.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'd never heard of it, but I enjoyed it yesterday especially since we just adopted a new kitten last week.

And Finding Bigfoot owns. :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bear Grylls has shoved pee up his rear end on TV for the last time on the Discovery Channel.

quote:

Discovery Channel has terminated its relationship with Bear Grylls, the British television personality and star of the network’s Man Vs. Wild. The severing of the relationship, which began back in 2006 when Man vs. Wild launched on Discovery, comes after the network has allegedly been unable to get Grylls to participate in two unannounced projects he was contracted for, say sources. The sixth season of Man Vs. Wild wrapped in August.

“Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him,” a network spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter.

This is not the first time Discovery has had a disagreement with its talent. In 2010, the network sued Deadliest Catch Captains Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand for allegedly failing to complete work on the spinoff Hillstranded. The $3 million lawsuit prompted the Hillstrands and Captain Sig Hansen to quit, though a month later the dispute was settled, the suit was dropped and all three returned to work on the show.

Grylls, 37, has parlayed his fame as an extreme outdoorsman into an international media career. He’s written nearly a dozen books, many of them survival guides. His memoir Mud, Sweat and Tears – due to be published in the U.S. in May – already is a best-seller in England and Australia. He’s landed numerous endorsement deals including with Dockers and Degree deodorant. There's a Man vs. Wild video game, he has an iPhone app, and his clothing line is sold at REI and Walmart.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is kind of topical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLG8_dfX9M

http://www.tested.com/news/so-whats-happening-with-tested-video/3744/

I haven't watched Mythbusters in forever but they're really cool guys so seeing some other type of content from them could be great!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would definitely be weird seeing either Will or Norm just hanging out at M5 or even participating in a Mythbusters episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They should fire the B team and just use those guys. Actually Will Smith should go with Giant Bomb but oh well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pfefferbao posted:

The show is "Too Cute!", which is what I'm watching right now. They're airing new episodes on Saturday and I think they mentioned something about this being a new season, so there's at least one previous season.

Thanks for telling me. Now when they find my emaciated corpse in front of the television--should I ever find multiple episodes airing in a row--they'll know what to put in the obituary.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Amppelix posted:

This is kind of topical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLG8_dfX9M

http://www.tested.com/news/so-whats-happening-with-tested-video/3744/

I haven't watched Mythbusters in forever but they're really cool guys so seeing some other type of content from them could be great!
Finally, a pair of extra uggbugs around to make the original cast looks even more photogenic!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Thoughts on Adam and Jamie's new show, Unchained Reactions? I hate to get all 'spergy, but that was the worst show I've seen on Discovery in a long time. It was even worse than that Penn and Teller show that was utterly terrible. I weirdly felt bad stopping the show half way through and deleting it from TiVo, given how awesome Adam and Jamie are on Mythbusters.

Unchained Reactions was really weirdly narrated, had no entertaining people at all (spoiler alert: Adam and Jamie don't participate at all), didn't bother showing the teams building half their contraptions, and try to instill a terribly awkward sense of drama into the whole thing, and they give the teams neither enough time nor enough materials to make anything genuinely entertaining. In short, it was completely flat. The most entertaining bit was a chair flipping right side up, at least in the part I saw.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I thought it seemed dumb without watching and the idea that Jamie and Adam don't participate dooms it.

Reminder that this Sunday should be the start of the new season. I'm jonesing pretty bad for some Mythbusters so I'm probably ready to accept whatever poo poo they throw together and call an episode. Hopefully they manage to find some good stuff here and there like they usually do, I can at least tolerate the Build Team that way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone been to Mythbusters Live? How was it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BigHead posted:

Thoughts on Adam and Jamie's new show, Unchained Reactions?

I set a timer for this show and my DVR wants to skip it because it's not a new episode, maybe it knows what's good for me.

Update: was bored 5 minutes in, got to about 20 minutes before deleting the episode and the timer.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 23, 2012

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I don't know what you guys think, but this duct tape special has sort of owned so far. No B team (although I do like them), plus you get to see Jamie try to surf on a board made of duct tape.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Going to watch it later but I figured this would be a great episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TL posted:

I don't know what you guys think, but this duct tape special has sort of owned so far. No B team (although I do like them), plus you get to see Jamie try to surf on a board made of duct tape.

It was really good, and no B team at all (I hate them)!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BigHead posted:

Thoughts on Adam and Jamie's new show, Unchained Reactions?
It's yet another take on "get teams to build stuff, then compete against each other". Discovery and TLC have probably done a dozen of them by this point? It's the kind of show that lives or dies based on the casting, but the cast is new every time so it's unworkable.

The only version that ever worked was Junkyard Wars, and even that wasn't exciting TV.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

smackfu posted:

It's yet another take on "get teams to build stuff, then compete against each other". Discovery and TLC have probably done a dozen of them by this point? It's the kind of show that lives or dies based on the casting, but the cast is new every time so it's unworkable.

The only version that ever worked was Junkyard Wars, and even that wasn't exciting TV.

The problem with these shows is always the time constraints.

I liked Catch it, Keep It though.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm glad they fired him but sad it was because of dumb reasons and not because the show and Bear Grylls are both loving terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new episode of Mythbusters was actually pretty fun. I can't believe they actually spent seven hours out on the water in their canoe, that seems pretty crazy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I'm taking this horrible schedule to mean that the show is in it's final death throws. They just don't know how to break it to the fans. (Because the show is probably at the height of its success.)
Huh? They've done Sunday specials before.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I wonder just how long that outrider could have stayed afloat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Huh? They've done Sunday specials before.

I was under the impression that the show was now permanently moved to Sunday night, which aside from the big Earth specials, usually doesn't have much right? I mean they had Storm Chasers for a while, but then that got moved I think?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I was under the impression that the show was now permanently moved to Sunday night, which aside from the big Earth specials, usually doesn't have much right? I mean they had Storm Chasers for a while, but then that got moved I think?
If it is, I don't think it's the first time Discovery has run a season on Sundays and they're probably doing it to give that Unchained Reaction show a solid lead-in to boost ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
When I read about Unchained Reactions, I thought they were building something that actually had a purpose, I guess I didn't read it right.

I just watched the setup, then DVR skipped to see the Rube Goldberg domino contraptions operate. Meh. I'll probably keep recording it, it only takes like 10 minutes to watch.

• Locked thread