Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I recommend you play Hydra Castle Labyrinth.

Playing it, loving it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm in the mood for a good bullet hell shooter. I love Imperishable Night, and I like the other Touhou games. Any suggestions?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I'm in the mood for a good bullet hell shooter. I love Imperishable Night, and I like the other Touhou games. Any suggestions?

Give Jamestown a try, if you haven't already. It's a very well-done little game, and good fun if you're a fan of the genre.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
I should be getting a PS3 real soon. What would be a fun game to play with the gf in coop mode? Nothing too hard or violent.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I haven't played it myself but from what I hear, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a good coop game. I don't know how hard it is.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

LittleBigPlanet 2.

Very fun, co-op, not terribly hard, not violent, pretty much infinite replayability, and, from my experience, rivaled only by Mario Kart in the category of games that ladies enjoy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

trapt posted:

I should be getting a PS3 real soon. What would be a fun game to play with the gf in coop mode? Nothing too hard or violent.

Any of the LEGO games. I prefer Lego Indiana Jones, but any of them are fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I'm looking for a dark fantasy action (rpg maybe too) game. I don't have enough money for Dark Souls. :( Any alternatives? Maybe even freeware ones?

My computer can't run The Witcher 2 and I wasn't the biggest fan of the first one. And I already played the Dragon Age games. Bleh.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2012

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I'm looking for a strategy game that is good to relax with, isn't particularly fast-paced and can cater to those new to the genre as well as those looking for a challenge. I played Anno 2070 (also played the previous installment a little) and Civ 5 so I guess I'm looking for something in a similar vein of building an empire/city. I am no expert when it comes to strategy games so I literally have no idea which ones would be good for me or not. Any recommendations?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I'm looking for a dark fantasy action (rpg maybe too) game. I don't have enough money for Dark Souls. :( Any alternatives? Maybe even freeware ones?

My computer can't run The Witcher 2 and I wasn't the biggest fan of the first one. And I already played the Dragon Age games. Bleh.

Folklore (Majora's Mask meets Pokémon) and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game that is good to relax with, isn't particularly fast-paced and can cater to those new to the genre as well as those looking for a challenge. I played Anno 2070 (also played the previous installment a little) and Civ 5 so I guess I'm looking for something in a similar vein of building an empire/city. I am no expert when it comes to strategy games so I literally have no idea which ones would be good for me or not. Any recommendations?

Have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic series? I wouldn't say I enjoyed 4 too much but 3 and 5 are my favorite. Very relaxing and turn based so you can think long ahead before actually having to commit to something.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I'm looking for a good split screen 2-player game for Xbox 360 for me and my buddy. There were some good co-op recommendations a few pages back but I'm looking for something that would pit us against each other. Also don't want anything that requires us to go online, and is light-hearted and not too serious. If it had split screen, the new SSX would be my ideal game.

So goons, what do you recommend?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Joramun posted:

Folklore (Majora's Mask meets Pokémon) and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

I've played Folklore and dug it, but not Castlevania. Looks right up my alley. Thanks.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any games that allow you to build, manage and run an army in first or third person? Something with action and management while also being a shooter or hacker. Mount & Blade is the closest game I can think of. The new Assassin's Creed games kinda have that element, but I want something much more filling. Thanks.

Mustard Snobbery posted:

I'm looking for a good split screen 2-player game for Xbox 360 for me and my buddy. There were some good co-op recommendations a few pages back but I'm looking for something that would pit us against each other. Also don't want anything that requires us to go online, and is light-hearted and not too serious. If it had split screen, the new SSX would be my ideal game.

So goons, what do you recommend?
The following all have split-screen versus modes. Many also have co-op.
Borderlands
Call of Duty 4, MW, WaW, MW2, BO, & MW3
Far Cry Instincts: Predator
Forza 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbox Six: Vegas 1 & 2
Every Halo game
Blur
Split/Second MAYBE
Fairytale Fights MAYBE
The Outfit MAYBE

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Looking for an RPG with a good skill based system. Either something in the vein of FF9 where you learn skills through gear and equip it with ability points, or a more MMO style where there's trees you go through as you level up. Torchlight is nice but I've played that already. Something with a good job system also would interest me, similar to Blue Dragon or FF5. The only platforms I don't have are Wii and (3)DS, if that makes a difference.

baram. fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 29, 2012

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

rizuhbull posted:

The following all have split-screen versus modes. Many also have co-op.
Borderlands
Call of Duty 4, MW, WaW, MW2, BO, & MW3
Far Cry Instincts: Predator
Forza 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbox Six: Vegas 1 & 2
Every Halo game
Blur
Split/Second MAYBE
Fairytale Fights MAYBE
The Outfit MAYBE

Sorry, I should have been more specific and mentioned I wasn't really after shooters. I think they're a bit dull with only 2 players. I have Burnout Revenge/Paradise, is Blur or Split/Second different enough from those I should check it out? Fairytale Fights also made me think of Street Fighter 4/Marvel vs Capcom so I'll check those out too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

trapt posted:

This may or may not qualify as "too violent," but the PS3 version of Castlevania: Harmony of Despair has local co-op, and my girlfriend and I have really been enjoying it. It's fun to play in small bursts, there are no consequences for dying other than having to start the level over (you keep all items, experience, etc.), it's moderately challenging at most if you play the levels in order, and there's a large selection of different characters with different play styles (including several female characters, none of which are overly sexualized).

Don't get it if you don't have a HDTV or have a small TV, though, as you sometimes need to have the camera zoomed out pretty far.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've played Folklore and dug it, but not Castlevania. Looks right up my alley. Thanks.

How about Darksiders if action-adventure games are OK?

Recommend me worth-while games where there's really no other goal than to become the open game world's greatest pirate/mercenary/whatever (games like Mount & Blade, Sid Meier's Pirates! and Freelancer).

Also, even though nothing has come close to the great game that is X-COM: UFO Defense, I'd love to know if there's any turn-based squad game that would be worth playing. I've already played Silent Storm, which was OK, Shadow Watch and the Jagged Alliance games. What should I try next? Should I give Incubation a go?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
This might go hand in hand with one of the recommendations asked for above, but I'll throw out my request anyway.

I'm looking for a PC game space sim where I can do stuff like smuggle goods and trade stuff and just make an absolute crazy amount of cash, which I can use to buy new ships or upgrade them and make them super awesome. Bonus points if the game is available on something like Steam or GOG.

The two that I'm considering right now are Evochron Mercenary on Steam, and Freelancer II on GOG. Is one of those gonna be like what I'm looking for?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What's a good casual co-op game on Steam? I don't care about game type or genre or any of that stuff, I just want something to play with a lady friend.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

This might go hand in hand with one of the recommendations asked for above, but I'll throw out my request anyway.

I'm looking for a PC game space sim where I can do stuff like smuggle goods and trade stuff and just make an absolute crazy amount of cash, which I can use to buy new ships or upgrade them and make them super awesome. Bonus points if the game is available on something like Steam or GOG.

The two that I'm considering right now are Evochron Mercenary on Steam, and Freelancer II on GOG. Is one of those gonna be like what I'm looking for?

X3 sounds like the perfect one for you, its gorgeous too.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

These Loving Eyes posted:

Recommend me worth-while games where there's really no other goal than to become the open game world's greatest pirate/mercenary/whatever (games like Mount & Blade, Sid Meier's Pirates! and Freelancer).
Either the X series as mentioned, or check out Freespace2Open (more mission-based than open-world though).

If you don't mind older games, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is pretty neat in the same genre as Pirates.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

What's a good casual co-op game on Steam? I don't care about game type or genre or any of that stuff, I just want something to play with a lady friend.

Would Portal 2 be too un-casual?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've been playing Alan Wake recently and I quite enjoy it aside from two aspects: the writing and the voice acting.

I'd like to play a title with an excellent script and solid voice acting for a change. My platforms are PC and PS2.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I've been playing Alan Wake recently and I quite enjoy it aside from two aspects: the writing and the voice acting.

I'd like to play a title with an excellent script and solid voice acting for a change. My platforms are PC and PS2.

Bastion. Get it on Steam. Very good voice acting and excellent script. Indeed, it's a landmark for showing a game as a storytelling medium.

It's an older game, but Grim Fandango is also one of my most favorite well-written games with good voice acting.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm looking for an adventure game, possibly some sort of detective/mystery story in vein of the Gabriel Knight series. I remember seeing a LP of like the first 10 minutes Indigo Prophecy and really liking the multiple approaches possible, but supposedly it gets stupid later on. I also played Experiment 112 and I've been dying to play something similar to that. I loved the idea, but disliked the retarded plot exposition. I think I played most of the classic adventure games, so I'm looking for something relatively recent.

Alternatively, I think I just want to play a character-focused game without any shooting, beating people up or blowing poo poo up. So either a totally non-conflict game, or maybe something involving using persuasion/influence/intrigue to reach your goals (like Europa 1400/The Guild, or Crusader Kings possibly). I tried The Guild 2 a while ago but it seemed very shallow compared to its predecessor. Haven't tried the expansions though so maybe it's been fixed somewhat.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

grate deceiver posted:

I'm looking for an adventure game, possibly some sort of detective/mystery story in vein of the Gabriel Knight series. I remember seeing a LP of like the first 10 minutes Indigo Prophecy and really liking the multiple approaches possible, but supposedly it gets stupid later on. I also played Experiment 112 and I've been dying to play something similar to that. I loved the idea, but disliked the retarded plot exposition. I think I played most of the classic adventure games, so I'm looking for something relatively recent.

Indigo prophecy is really good until it turns really stupid really fast. But since you like Gabriel Knight, the designer made a new game last year called Gray Matter which I really enjoyed and I hope she makes more

grate deceiver posted:

Alternatively, I think I just want to play a character-focused game without any shooting, beating people up or blowing poo poo up. So either a totally non-conflict game, or maybe something involving using persuasion/influence/intrigue to reach your goals (like Europa 1400/The Guild, or Crusader Kings possibly). I tried The Guild 2 a while ago but it seemed very shallow compared to its predecessor. Haven't tried the expansions though so maybe it's been fixed somewhat.

Crusader Kings 2 is a god among games, go to the Paradox thread and watch us worship

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Zubumafoo posted:

Would Portal 2 be too un-casual?

Nah, that's about what I was looking for as far as casual-ness goes. I was also looking at Trine 2. Has anyone played it? Is the co-op good?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

These Loving Eyes posted:

Also, even though nothing has come close to the great game that is X-COM: UFO Defense, I'd love to know if there's any turn-based squad game that would be worth playing. I've already played Silent Storm, which was OK, Shadow Watch and the Jagged Alliance games. What should I try next? Should I give Incubation a go?

Incubation's early 3D hasn't aged well, but it's still a good game. It's different in respect that compared to the aforementioned ones, guns are much more accurate/damaging and so covering other teammates' backs is more efficient, and with the different enemies it has some puzzle elements to it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I'm looking for a dungeon crawler RPG to play, or a bunch of them if possible. Something along the lines of either Dungeons of Dredmor or Torchlight, doesn't have to be procedurally generated though that's a cool thing. Already played Binding of Isaac and Diablo 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If by some weird chance you live in the Metro Vancouver area you can play my copy of Dark Souls.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 1, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Read posted:

I'm looking for a dungeon crawler RPG to play, or a bunch of them if possible. Something along the lines of either Dungeons of Dredmor or Torchlight, doesn't have to be procedurally generated though that's a cool thing. Already played Binding of Isaac and Diablo 2.

If by some weird chance you live in the Metro Vancouver area you can play my copy of Dark Souls.

Check out ToME.
http://te4.org/

There's a thread for it here, too. Really good game, it's a roguelike but it's also accessible like Dungeons of Dredmor. DoomRL just got a big update with a graphics tileset and stuff too so you could check that out; it's Doom transplanted into a roguelike dungeon crawl.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Kenta Cho made a bunch of free shooters. I particularly recommend Tumiki Fighters (the Katamari of shooters!) and rRootage.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Check out ToME.
http://te4.org/

There's a thread for it here, too. Really good game, it's a roguelike but it's also accessible like Dungeons of Dredmor. DoomRL just got a big update with a graphics tileset and stuff too so you could check that out; it's Doom transplanted into a roguelike dungeon crawl.

This looks to be exactly what I wanted, going to download it and report back :>. Thanks a bunch.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I'm looking for an old space sim that gives you a lot of freedom but without being too complex.
I say old because this is just a work quality PC, nothing special, I could probably run anything up until 2002.

For complexity I don't want to deal with too many stats, I just want to be able to fly, trade, do shady blackmarket space stuff, like taking hostages and stealing cargo or whatever.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Reive posted:

I'm looking for an old space sim that gives you a lot of freedom but without being too complex.
I say old because this is just a work quality PC, nothing special, I could probably run anything up until 2002.

For complexity I don't want to deal with too many stats, I just want to be able to fly, trade, do shady blackmarket space stuff, like taking hostages and stealing cargo or whatever.

Freelancer. It isn't completely sandbox though if that is what your looking for.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Oh my god this is the best thing

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Speedball posted:

Bastion. Get it on Steam. Very good voice acting and excellent script. Indeed, it's a landmark for showing a game as a storytelling medium.

It's an older game, but Grim Fandango is also one of my most favorite well-written games with good voice acting.

I've played and loved both of those. It's a shame that there isn't much out there that can compare.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Having been following Vicas' LP of Yoshi's Island, I've been getting into the music and the art of that game more and more. This is gonna be a bit of a weird, vague request, but I'm looking for a game that can capture that feeling of play and offbeat, charming presentation again. A few games that come to mind would be game I can think of that comes close is LittleBigPlanet, Wario Land 2 and 3, or the LocoRoco games.

I'd like to limit this to non-PC games if at all possible so I can try out candidates via Gamefly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lizard Wizard posted:

Having been following Vicas' LP of Yoshi's Island, I've been getting into the music and the art of that game more and more. This is gonna be a bit of a weird, vague request, but I'm looking for a game that can capture that feeling of play and offbeat, charming presentation again. A few games that come to mind would be game I can think of that comes close is LittleBigPlanet, Wario Land 2 and 3, or the LocoRoco games.

I'd like to limit this to non-PC games if at all possible so I can try out candidates via Gamefly.

Rayman: Origins is on PS3 and Xbox 360, and features some of the best animation to be used in video games to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Rayman: Origins is on PS3 and Xbox 360, and features some of the best animation to be used in video games to date.

By no means am I discounting your recommendation, I should stress that the animation is just part of it. One of the key ingredients is, well...playfulness and silliness everywhere. It's hard to really define what I'm talking about, but Wario Land 2 and 3 (gently caress the time attack nonsense of 4 :emo:) are really the epitome of this, whereas LocoRoco is playfulness and silliness made of candy. :3: Even though it was rather boring as a game, Kirby's Epic Yarn had a lot of that going for it too, I guess. Luigi's Mansion might also sort of qualify?

I'm really, really sorry for the vagueness.

Adding Rayman Origins to my queue though, thanks