Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
I have the strangest question.

I have a Canonet QLII 17 and bought a lens hood for it that you can see here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170756528871?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4453wt_1396

I've recieved it but it's far too large for my the lens on the canonet... am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

xenilk posted:

I have the strangest question.

I have a Canonet QLII 17 and bought a lens hood for it that you can see here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170756528871?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4453wt_1396

I've recieved it but it's far too large for my the lens on the canonet... am I doing wrong?

That's for the original Canonet, a far heftier beast than the Canonet QL series.

edit: I remembered that I took a pic of mine together:

Canonet Rangefinders by acetonic, on Flickr

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 18, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RustedChrome posted:

That's for the original Canonet, a far heftier beast than the Canonet QL series.

edit: I remembered that I took a pic of mine together:

Canonet Rangefinders by acetonic, on Flickr

drat, I guess I'll have to resell that one. Boo. Thanks for clearing that out! :)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Don't mind if I post more from my delightful Trip 35 do ya?

Trip 35 with Tudor 200 Film by AceClown79, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
SAD x-post

img827 by spf3million, on Flickr
Olympus XA, Portra 400, about an hour of spot dust removal in LR.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

SAD x-post

img827 by spf3million, on Flickr
Olympus XA, Portra 400, about an hour of spot dust removal in LR.

That's beautiful, if it was square (which nevermind, would alter the composition entirely) I'd totally assume it was an album cover. Great work!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Bought a Canon AE-1 the other day and pretty sure I bought a bum one.

Shutter won't fire, blinking red M and blinking red dot in the viewfinder. Occasionally it'll fire after a bit of being left alone. I've looked online and people seem to think it's the contacts or something. I checked battery strength and it seems to be fine.

Anyone else run into this? Going to crosspost into the...well, some other thread.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I went to China with a Canonet. Crosspost from SAD

Subway by trambopaline, on Flickr

Prayers by trambopaline, on Flickr

Pathways by trambopaline, on Flickr

Tai Chi by trambopaline, on Flickr

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 30, 2012

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Trambopaline posted:

I went to China with a Canonet. Crosspost from SAD

Subway by trambopaline, on Flickr

Prayers by trambopaline, on Flickr
Did you try some Lucky film?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Actually the irony is that I've been using Lucky the whole time because it's half the price of Kodak Gold in New Zealand, and I went all the way there to pick up cheap Tri-X and Kodak Gold. All the shots are on Lucky.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Awkward Davies posted:

Bought a Canon AE-1 the other day and pretty sure I bought a bum one.

Shutter won't fire, blinking red M and blinking red dot in the viewfinder. Occasionally it'll fire after a bit of being left alone. I've looked online and people seem to think it's the contacts or something. I checked battery strength and it seems to be fine.

Anyone else run into this? Going to crosspost into the...well, some other thread.

I'm pretty positive the M means you've got a lens attached which doesn't do aperture-priority shooting (M is for manual) - or the aperture dial isn't on the A setting. The dot I believe is an indicator that you're over / underexposed, i'm pretty sure neither has anything to do with the shutter. I don't know if it has a weird auto-lockout if you're too under/over or something, that's the only thing i could think of that would keep it from firing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

whereismyshoe posted:

I'm pretty positive the M means you've got a lens attached which doesn't do aperture-priority shooting (M is for manual) - or the aperture dial isn't on the A setting. The dot I believe is an indicator that you're over / underexposed, i'm pretty sure neither has anything to do with the shutter. I don't know if it has a weird auto-lockout if you're too under/over or something, that's the only thing i could think of that would keep it from firing.

Turned out to have something to do with the battery. Needed a battery with more omph.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
:D For a grand total of £6.50 from a charity shop I got a Minolta AF-E (boxed), Nikon AF210 (boxed) a Kodak instamatic 500 (soft case+ instructions edit: instructions for a different version) and a canon sureshot AF-7. Hurrah. (charity shops round our way don't normally have electrical goods at all)

edit: the kodak seems to have a cracked lens which is a bummer but I've tested the minolta and it seems to be working as is the canon, looking forward to using the canon's viewfinder but the former is so ugly it's gone full circle back into awesome.

Medusula fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 31, 2012

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Just got to "permanently borrow" an unused Rollei AFM 35 on the condition that I use it. I've never heard of this one before but the colleague who gave it to me said he was given a bunch of them when he visited the lens manufacturer a few years ago and that the manufacturer was particularly proud of the optics.

Can't find a manual but it looks like it is a rebadged Fujifilm Klasse. Anybody know either of those?

edit:

38mm f2.6, Some kind of AF and focus presets.

Program and aperture priority.

Seems like it has a nice balance of automagical and manual options. Just need to pick up a battery and I'll have some kind of daily muck about camera.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2012

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Tested two cameras out the canon AF-7 and the Minolta AF-E. Both cost £1 from a charity shop

Identical bog standard brand new tudor 200 35mm, processed and scanned at boots.

Minolta

Canon

Minolta

Canon

Minolta

Canon

I found the viewfinder on the canon a joy to use but the minolta actually produced more usable pictures as the canon had a tendency to over expose slightly. I would say both are a safe bet if you want a cheap P&S. Lots more test pictures on my flicker.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Minolta has higher contrast/saturation but that could just be a result of a more accurate exposure.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Got a Trip 35 before Christmas and have put a couple of rolls through it. The quality is really nice but I've lost a couple of shots of people to poor focus. Still a nice little camera to have around since my digital p&s crapped out. These are with Fuji Superior Xtra 400.

Untitled by toby_online, on Flickr

Domination by toby_online, on Flickr

Big Day Out by toby_online, on Flickr

Untitled by toby_online, on Flickr

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Olympus Mju 2 ( or Epic Stylus) with Lomo 100 xpro film.

Crossprocessed Vietnam by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I sure hope the Fuji X100 applies to this thread (EDIT: I just checked - I guess I'd be better off posting in the 4/3 thread, welp.) I just traded my relatively plain jane, "nah I don't really want to grab my camera bag it's heavy and stuff" Canon setup for one! It is so very very takeable and non-intrusive. I don't have any shots yet but I'm trying to learn it and RTFM as best I can. In short:

"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!!.... Itty bitty living space."

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 18, 2012

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.

strangemusic posted:

I sure hope the Fuji X100 applies to this thread (EDIT: I just checked - I guess I'd be better off posting in the 4/3 thread, welp.) I just traded my relatively plain jane, "nah I don't really want to grab my camera bag it's heavy and stuff" Canon setup for one! It is so very very takeable and non-intrusive. I don't have any shots yet but I'm trying to learn it and RTFM as best I can. In short:

"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!!.... Itty bitty living space."

funny you write this, i just sold off all my slr gear and bought one, so my film point and shoots are on hold...

but i did two rolls done, and cvs botched them by not cleaning their machines - scratches across every negative. woof.

ektar 100

portra 400

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just bought yet another XA.

Also just pulled a roll out of my current XA, realized it was 24 exposures but that I had shot 36...I don't even know how I managed to do that.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

tuddy posted:

but i did two rolls done, and cvs botched them by not cleaning their machines - scratches across every negative. woof.

Those look like stuck/dead pixels. I'm betting that if you look at the negatives they aren't there and you could get the shots rescanned at a more reputable place.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

Those look like stuck/dead pixels. I'm betting that if you look at the negatives they aren't there and you could get the shots rescanned at a more reputable place.

Negatives are scratched, I rescanned on my own and got the same results.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

tuddy posted:

Negatives are scratched, I rescanned on my own and got the same results.

The same thing happened to me at my local Walgreens. Also, they more than doubled the price for develop only. Thank you drugstore for making me take my C41 to Costco, where they only charge $1.49 per roll, give you a free contact sheet and actually have someone who gives a drat working the processor.

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010
Got a Yashica T4 Super at Goodwill last night for 2 bucks. A bit dingy but it turns on, flashes, whirrs, so I expect it's in good order. I probably won't get a chance to put film through it for a while, though, so until then--how hard is this going to whip my Stylus Infinity? Substantially different capability, or just a solid '90s P&S with a celebrity wow factor?

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

Jellyko posted:

Got a Yashica T4 Super at Goodwill last night for 2 bucks. A bit dingy but it turns on, flashes, whirrs, so I expect it's in good order. I probably won't get a chance to put film through it for a while, though, so until then--how hard is this going to whip my Stylus Infinity? Substantially different capability, or just a solid '90s P&S with a celebrity wow factor?

Jesus Christ you're lucky.

the t4 is pretty much as good as it gets.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jellyko posted:

Got a Yashica T4 Super at Goodwill last night for 2 bucks.

you know you'll never get another deal again in your life now, right

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

you know you'll never get another deal again in your life now, right

Not necessarily! I found a T4 for $2 once, and found another at a garage sale for $20 just a week later.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I just got a t3 for 60 bucks.

now i'm sad.

:(

what are some rad films I can buy for it though? I think I might start out with some portra.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Portra rules rules rules.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
There's a T2d locally here for 25$. Should I get it?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

FasterThanLight posted:

Not necessarily! I found a T4 for $2 once, and found another at a garage sale for $20 just a week later.

You guys are lukcy, I think I've been to every thrift store/goodwill in town and haven't found anything worth while.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
You just have to keep at it. I found an XA for $10, then the next month, found an XA2 for $3.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

I just got a t3 for 60 bucks.

now i'm sad.

:(

what are some rad films I can buy for it though? I think I might start out with some portra.

rvp 50, its e-6 so youll have to probably mail it out for processing. but its worth it!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

tuddy posted:

rvp 50, its e-6 so youll have to probably mail it out for processing. but its worth it!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm

I think the yeshica t3 only goes down to 64, what would effect would that have using a 50 film?

I actually use a velvia 50 preset on a lot of my digital stuff so it'd be nice to try the real stuff!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

I think the yeshica t3 only goes down to 64, what would effect would that have using a 50 film?

I actually use a velvia 50 preset on a lot of my digital stuff so it'd be nice to try the real stuff!

Do it, slides own. You haven't really seen your work until you've seen it on a lightbox.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Underexposing Velvia by a third of a stop tends to make it a bit more saturated, but you'll have to bring it up a tiny bit to avoid looking "muddy".

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ah okay, does the Yashica T3 have manual controls that allow that?

I ordered a 5 pack of portra 400. Yess amazon prime.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

Ah okay, does the Yashica T3 have manual controls that allow that?

I ordered a 5 pack of portra 400. Yess amazon prime.

Yes, it's called the ISO knob. To underexpose ISO50 film by 1/3 stop you turn it to ISO 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, it's called the ISO knob. To underexpose ISO50 film by 1/3 stop you turn it to ISO 64.

ah I was under the impression that the yashica t3 was pretty much auto only. That's good to know! It's hard finding any manual info on it :(

• Locked thread