Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Joramun posted:

I bet Robb, Tywin and Kevan wish they had her phasing powers.

And her 2 finely honed hanzo hattori katana blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

And her 2 finely honed hanzo hattori katana blades.

Ninja Kitty was fun.

Vampire Jubilee is not.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
what, she sinks her fangs into fireworks?

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I recommended these books to my mother, and even lent her the first one. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that was such a good idea.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's okay, lots of people hate their mothers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my cat is norris posted:

Vampire Jubilee is not.

hahaha, seriously? They did that?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

IRQ posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(comics)

wikipedia posted:

Jubilee has since gained the powers of a vampire from her transformation by the bite of Xarus, son of Dracula. Her powers include superhuman strength and speed, and the ability to turn into vapor. It's possible that she can heal much faster than a human.
As a vampire, Jubilee now possesses all of the weaknesses of a vampire. She must sustain herself on blood and avoid direct sunlight, garlic, silver, and religious symbols.

I don't read comic books but it's heartening to know that grrm isn't the only writer who hates his fans. I only remember jubilee from the saturday morning cartoon but christ that sounds like some stupid poo poo.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

IRQ posted:

Pretty much anything is better than 90's Jubilee. :colbert:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mediant posted:

Seriously. I remember her basically being Wolverine's shadow for a large part of the 90s. I remember one story in which she thinks she has caught Logan with Jean Grey at some shady motel, but it really was only Mystique.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Too bad Boromir wasn't a phase ninja... :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mediant posted:

Dunno man that yellow raincoat she wore all the time was pretty slick.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Where will he get it? All he has are promissory notes. And I doubt dwarf jousting can raise enough money.

By whoring himself out. I hear there's a lot of money in that.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Octy posted:

By whoring himself out. I hear there's a lot of money in that.
Then all he'll have to do is see where he ends up afterwards and he'll know where whores go. Brilliant plan.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Then all he'll have to do is see where he ends up afterwards and he'll know where whores go. Brilliant plan.

I forgot about that! See, I can take over writing the series when GRRM finally chokes on a hamburger bigger than his head.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

IRQ posted:

Compared to the other garbage going on it's not really that far fetched. I mean, Gorge made Tyrion suck and who knows what in the hell dumb poo poo he's going to do to have Jon come back (almost certainly some warging nonsense). And Arya can sew faces onto herself and whatnot. And Bran is a tree. And Rickon, I guess he's off eating Frey pie or something. When was the last time we saw him anyway?
Back from page 222, but you must remember that Jon died at the wall, the place where Melisandre's powers are their strongest, with Mel present as well? I think What Happens To Jon is my most pressing mystery as far as the series is concerned, at the moment.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No, it's not. The entire reason for the prologue is to tell us that Jon warged into Ghost when he died. Now, Melisandre might try and resurrect him, and what happens then'll be interesting. But we already know what happened to Jon.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

whowhatwhere posted:

No, it's not. The entire reason for the prologue is to tell us that Jon warged into Ghost when he died. Now, Melisandre might try and resurrect him, and what happens then'll be interesting. But we already know what happened to Jon.

I still maintain that if he warged at all right before flatlining, it's into Wun Wun rather than Ghost.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

Ghost wasn't near him. I wouldn't consider anything concrete just yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

jazz babies posted:

Ghost wasn't near him. I wouldn't consider anything concrete just yet.

Erm, Arya'd been having dreams of wolftime without Nymeria being anywhere nearby. If we're to take that as Arya's sleeping mind hopping over into her, then warg doesn't know any distance.

Sometimes magic is just poorly defined.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Maybe Nymeria is in Braavos... have we had any detailed descriptions of these braavosi courtesans?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

zocio posted:

Maybe Nymeria is in Braavos... have we had any detailed descriptions of these braavosi courtesans?

That's all these books were missing, loving furries.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually have to commend GRRM for not going full bore and making Ramsay Bolton a vampire or some stupid poo poo, just to drive the "Vlad the Impaler" poo poo home.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

That's all these books were missing, loving furries.

Wait... what?... ASOIAF has had furries since ACOK, what did you think Bran meant when he says he's putting on summer's skin?

Come to think on it, that explains why wargs are so hated... ABOMINATION!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

zocio posted:

Wait... what?... ASOIAF has had furries since ACOK, what did you think Bran meant when he says he's putting on summer's skin?

Come to think on it, that explains why wargs are so hated... ABOMINATION!
To be fair, according to Haggon's code yiffing is forbidden.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I posted a little rant about Martin's progress with the books: http://loopingworld.com/2012/03/02/why-george-rr-martin-cant-finish-his-books/

What annoys me is that for some writers it's a privilege the possibility to commit and focus on one project. Martin has it, but doesn't much care about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Martin has "made it" in the sense that he's got to have a ton of money coming in, he's about in his Golden Years, is respected in his profession, and has made an undoubted mark on the cultural landscape.

He's doing whatever the gently caress he wants because he can die in 3-15 years having not completed a drat word and still be living large.

We should all be "so lucky."

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

We should all be "so lucky."
I guess you're right. He has what he wants. Why should he pressure himself to write when he's swimming in cash and can do whatever he pleases? The solution therefore might be to set his house on fire and freeze his bank accounts to provide him with a bit more motivation. :)

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
He was also a Jeopardy answer the other day and that's basically the peak.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I really hoped the HBO series would light a fire under him. TWOW isn't ever coming out, is it? :(

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nah, some guy did a function earlier in the thread which figured out when TWoW is out. I think it's 2017 or something, with the next 2026.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Nah, some guy did a function earlier in the thread which figured out when TWoW is out. I think it's 2017 or something, with the next 2026.

I can TWOW coming out, but not the last one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Given how ADWD turned out it's not like it matters.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Given how ADWD turned out it's not like it matters.

I'm not slagging him off as much as most people on here because I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that all the shortcomings of A Feast With Dragons was due to the fact that it wasn't initially planned. If Winds is the same quality, then yeah, I'll stop caring about the series.

Not that there will be a Winds, of course. We are now only a couple of months away from the one year anniversary of the last time GRRM wrote anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought Dance was better than Clash, easily. If it weren't because of the obvious deficiencies of Feast, it would be my least favorite of the series. Virtually nothing happens until the end and even then the battle of Blackwater isn't that interesting to me. Dance wasn't great, but there were enough neat little character moments and potentially interesting occurances to make me actually excited for Winds.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought Dance was better than Clash, easily. If it weren't because of the obvious deficiencies of Feast, it would be my least favorite of the series. Virtually nothing happens until the end and even then the battle of Blackwater isn't that interesting to me. Dance wasn't great, but there were enough neat little character moments and potentially interesting occurances to make me actually excited for Winds.

Eh, I enjoyed Clash more for Tyrion's political maneuvering and Davos than anything else.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree. Clash was the most boring in the series for me; even Feast, for as "little" that happens, was interesting and involving due to the beautiful prose.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

This is a pointless exercise. Trying to rank these books is like trying to rank orgasms.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I'm guessing I'm the only one here who finds Davos and his entire story boring as hell.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Maytag posted:

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who finds Davos and his entire story boring as hell.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&pagenumber=215#post400813454

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Maytag posted:

No, you're not.