Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laod
Feb 7, 2006

Slung Blade posted:

I should have gone with a metal roof from the start. gently caress.

Only if you don't get hail. We've got a few around here (ne Oklahoma) that look awful thanks to the million small dents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

laod posted:

Only if you don't get hail. We've got a few around here (ne Oklahoma) that look awful thanks to the million small dents.

Speed holes, makes the house go faster. :colbert:

No, honestly, I don't care about dents, I just want it to last 20 years or more.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

laod posted:

That's when you tell the supplier to gently caress the pussy 26 gauge poo poo and install a 10 gauge roof. :colbert:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

No, honestly, I don't care about dents, I just want it to last 20 years or more.

Who really looks that closely at a roof anyway? Dents, schments.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

madlilnerd posted:

Who really looks that closely at a roof anyway? Dents, schments.

People on the Great Plains. It really is silly to get a metal roof there, because the whole point of a metal roof is that you pay a fuckton of money, but then it lasts forever. But not through a major hail storm.

Nothing is immune to the power of hail!

standard roofing shingles:

stone:

or metal:

These pics and video are all from Oklahoma:

And finally, video, because that's what is truly impressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFv2W7Duqiw

My mother lost a roof, one window, and all vegetation in her yard in this storm.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

quote:

Saturn's dent resistant panels...not so much hole resistant.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

thecobra posted:

Saturn's dent resistant panels...not so much hole resistant.
They don't hold up to Canadian winters either. I once saw one explode after a small parking-lot love tap in -30.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Costello Jello posted:

or metal:

First off, I think that looks kind of rustic and quaint. Secondly, why do people live in these places?! Every time I see on the news "X has suffered another hurricane", "Y has had 20 foot of snow this winter" I wonder why on earth people live in these places, especially when these natural phenomenon have been going on since people settled there.

But seriously, why would you live where tennis balls made of ice fall from the sky?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

But seriously, why would you live where tennis balls made of ice fall from the sky?

Well, you can get a house for $200,000 that would cost $600,000 in a place that hasn't been forsaken by God and colonized by hillbillies.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

madlilnerd posted:

First off, I think that looks kind of rustic and quaint. Secondly, why do people live in these places?! Every time I see on the news "X has suffered another hurricane", "Y has had 20 foot of snow this winter" I wonder why on earth people live in these places, especially when these natural phenomenon have been going on since people settled there.

I come from the coast of northern Norway. Harsh weather is just nature telling you to man the gently caress up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

How bout a real steel roof- Colourbond Corrugated iron, rather than those tin shingles things?

One of the few things that will actually stand up to the hail storms in Australia- Tiles, slates all get shattered.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
When I pictured metal roofing I was thinking the vertical steel panel stuff, I didn't know metal shakes were still a thing people used.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Amstrad posted:

When I pictured metal roofing I was thinking the vertical steel panel stuff, I didn't know metal shakes were still a thing people used.

Yup, and they are crazy expensive. I'm going to be replacing my roof this spring/summer and everyone says, "You should get a metal roof, they last forever". The vertical steel stuff looks like it should be on a barn, and the metal shakes are waaaay out of my price range. I'm going to be going with shingles, and don't really care if I have to replace them once before I die.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Blistex posted:

The vertical steel stuff looks like it should be on a barn

Standing seam roofs can look really good on the right house, but that usually means a more modern design that was built specifically with that style of roof in mind.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Yup, and they are crazy expensive. I'm going to be replacing my roof this spring/summer and everyone says, "You should get a metal roof, they last forever". The vertical steel stuff looks like it should be on a barn, and the metal shakes are waaaay out of my price range. I'm going to be going with shingles, and don't really care if I have to replace them once before I die.

I've seen a few places done with this stuff around here, looks pretty nice http://www.nordman.ie/pdfs/nordman_domestic.pdf I dont know how well it'd hold up to megahail though

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If this happens again, I'm going to incorporate as a restoration contractor and build an i-beam skeletal cage for the roof and weld 1/4" mild steel plate to it.

Gonna have the rustiest house on the block.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Oooh, imagine an iron oxide red house glowing as the sun sets.

Then imagine a lifetime of tetanus top ups every time you cut yourself on your house.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Considering how often I play with metal I should probably be more diligent about my immunization anyway.

I think the last time I got a tetanus booster was when I was a little kid, I should really go back and get another.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Tetanus doesn't actually come from rust, the most common place you find the bacteria that cause it is in soil and animal poo poo. Dirty rust just has a large surface area so makes a good breeding ground for the stuff and is often still sharp enough to cut you and get the crap straight past your defences.

You're supposed to get a tetanus booster every 10 years to be safe and it's really worth doing because tetanus loving sucks and can kill you. Painfully.

So remember goons- be wise, immunise! :eng101:

I will shut up about soil borne bacteria now.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Slung Blade posted:

Considering how often I play with metal I should probably be more diligent about my immunization anyway.

I think the last time I got a tetanus booster was when I was a little kid, I should really go back and get another.

Here, read this post. I guarantee after reading it you'll have an appointment with your doctor tomorrow. :toot:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

echomadman posted:

I've seen a few places done with this stuff around here, looks pretty nice http://www.nordman.ie/pdfs/nordman_domestic.pdf I dont know how well it'd hold up to megahail though

Yah, the faux metal tile or shakes look nice, but I'm talking more about this suff that shouldn't be allowed within sight of any roadway.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Blistex posted:

Yah, the faux metal tile or shakes look nice, but I'm talking more about this suff that shouldn't be allowed within sight of any roadway.

a lot of farmhouses around here use pole barn steel for the roof, and every once and a while for siding too, and It's a rare occasion that it looks decent. Granted, the farmers putting on usually don't give two shits how it looks as long as it's durable. Either way, a good color scheme can make it look surprisingly acceptable.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A huge number of homes in Australia use this stuff- Colorbond steel, generally in just corrugated pattern

This and Zincalume are probably the most common roofing material in australia- since the other option is Cement Tiles, which add another 4 tonnes of weight to your roof and cost a fortune!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That looks like it would get blazingly hot every day. If you can paint your roof any color, why wouldn't you pick a light or white color for better thermal efficiency?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Leperflesh posted:

That looks like it would get blazingly hot every day. If you can paint your roof any color, why wouldn't you pick a light or white color for better thermal efficiency?

Because it won't look pretty! :byodame:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
yeah, I imagine white roofs look really grubby really fast. All kinds of grot would collect in the grooves.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Insulation on top of the ceiling tends to trap most heat in the cavity. Also handy on cooler evenings/days if you have a system that pulls the heat from the cavity. Free heating.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah- most aussie homes dont have an attic as such, its just an airspace full of dead rodents and dust- so you have a sarking layer under the tin, then rockwool or similar on the ceiling itself, Chuck in a vent or two and its impressive how cool a tin roofed house can stay.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

Blistex posted:

I have actually seen this type of roofing (though generally in a dark green color) on many log cabins throughout Tennessee and among natural vegetation and with the wood I don't think it looks terrible. Definitely durable. I do agree if you just had this on a house in a middle of a normal suburb that it would stick out like a soar thumb.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Your perspectives on standing seam metal are fascinating to me. Out here in Oregon it's considered a nice roof. Step up from comp shingles, step down from a proper tile job. We install them as facades on commercial buildings and on a fair number of quite nice houses--mostly slightly out of town proper, but then most of the houses out of the towns proper are pretty nice. Lot more inquiries than installations; the price tends to disappoint people.

They're VERY common on places in the woods and on the other side of the mountains, as they shed leaf litter and snow extremely well. Comp is either a moss roof inside a couple years or a constant battle in this climate under any trees.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I visited Iceland and a lot of their houses are painted bright colors but the siding and/or roofing is corrugated metal. I thought it looked really neat.

Here's a picture I found

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Corrugated metal roofs are a godsend in really snowy country. They'll melt off the snow faster and won't allow quite the buildup that wood can.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jordanis posted:

Your perspectives on standing seam metal are fascinating to me. Out here in Oregon it's considered a nice roof. Step up from comp shingles, step down from a proper tile job. We install them as facades on commercial buildings and on a fair number of quite nice houses--mostly slightly out of town proper, but then most of the houses out of the towns proper are pretty nice. Lot more inquiries than installations; the price tends to disappoint people.

They're VERY common on places in the woods and on the other side of the mountains, as they shed leaf litter and snow extremely well. Comp is either a moss roof inside a couple years or a constant battle in this climate under any trees.

The problem where I live (Northern Ontario) is that this type of metal roof is usually reserved for garages, barns, warehouses, stores, and out of the way cabins. We start to associate them with those types of buildings, so whenever some of us see them on houses, it looks cheap or ugly. That's just our shortcoming I guess.

As for shingle roofs near or under trees, I find a mixture of bleach + water, a ladder, and a spray twice a summer does a good job keeping the moss from taking hold. I'd go for one of those metal roofs with the faux shingles any day, but I just can't afford to do it. For that price I could re-shingle my roof with regular tar shingles probably 3-4 times.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

Ferremit posted:

since the other option is Cement Tiles, which add another 4 tonnes of weight to your roof and cost a fortune!

Not sure bout the fortune, but they last 30yrs +.. I think we've had to replace exactly 12 tiles (at something like $4 per) since 1979 in North-Central Texas which gets its share of hailstorms..

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Initial costs are staggering around Aus- Im pricing up a home at the moment (thread to come later!) and cement tiles are about $4.50 each, and theres something like 10 of them to the square meter, plus timber supports etc and you can buy a sheet of colourbond 3.6m long by 900mm wide for about $50...

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Plus_Infinity posted:

I visited Iceland and a lot of their houses are painted bright colors but the siding and/or roofing is corrugated metal. I thought it looked really neat.

Here's a picture I found

Homes in Iceland got to be that way because they used surplus marine paint to do their homes.

I wonder if a layer of thatch would protect against hail.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Blistex posted:

As for shingle roofs near or under trees, I find a mixture of bleach + water, a ladder, and a spray twice a summer does a good job keeping the moss from taking hold.

Powdered laundry soap, by the way, works real well. This is still way more maintenance than we find most homeowners actually loving doing around here, and that usually goes double for rental owners.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jordanis posted:

Powdered laundry soap, by the way, works real well. This is still way more maintenance than we find most homeowners actually loving doing around here, and that usually goes double for rental owners.
In Oregon at least, you can get a letter from the EPA if your neighbor is inclined to give a poo poo about you polluting the local watershed. Also the phosphates which do most of the moss killing, are no longer in detergents thanks to the EPA. Also, the degreasing agents (which are designed to remove oily, tarry gunk), can eat away the tar and asphalt in some roofing materials.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
If you were truly dedicated to your roof you'd be up there with a toothbrush, no questions asked. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Vander posted:

Corrugated metal roofs are a godsend in really snowy country. They'll melt off the snow faster and won't allow quite the buildup that wood can.
They are really cool (and very nice for repair - no messy shingle work!), but hail (as discussed above) just rips right through them.

Envious whenever I visit outside the country and see places with them, especially when they're painted.