Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

bango skank posted:

Is John Hodgman really a "celebrity"? I mean, sure he's on the Daily Show occasionally, but he's probably about as recognizable as a Wil Wheaton or a David Faustino.

He was the human representation of the PC for several years as well. I'd say he's pretty much a celebrity in the certain nerdy circles. He's really fun to see live because he's really rather clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

King Lou posted:

He was the human representation of the PC for several years as well. I'd say he's pretty much a celebrity in the certain nerdy circles. He's really fun to see live because he's really rather clever.

He is one subtly caustic motherfucker. There aren't too many people quicker on their feet, either. He's like a bookwormy Artie Lange.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
e:f;b

I didn't see the new page.

To add some content... People may not know that the British version of the Mac/PC ads starred Mitchell and Webb of "Peep Show" and "The Mitchell and Webb Look": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlZ8t2WDEA&feature=related If you haven't seen these shows, check them out. They're on Netflix streaming.

Here's a sample of both.

Peep Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmcjd7kSWE (NSFW language)
Mitchell and Webb Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y

One more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 23, 2012

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Any Hodgman haters should check out this music video wherein he gets beat up good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyu5vbwvbA

(okay okay it's really more for Hodgman lovers)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The difference between Hodgman and most of the other celebrity/comedian podcasts is that he's doing an original show, and he's legitimately funny. The majority of these new podcasts are just cheap ways for C-list comedians to sell their comedy special, their friends comedy specials and get advertising money. No original ideas, just a zany morning show with whacky (scripted) improv bits.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

DangerDummy! posted:

I think he's continuing a conversation from a couple weeks ago about how the guests on John's show have been pretty annoying lately. Unless I miss my guess, he's being very sarcastic because he likes to get riled up about people saying mean things about podcasts he likes. It's hard to tell with him sometimes.

Oh, literal Jimmy!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So I thought John Benjamin's story on girl on guy was the greatest poo poo story ever. Dave Holmes on the most recent live Walking The Room proved me wrong. God I wish he would do a podcast around his time at MTV.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Sweet Jesus I just made my way to ep 14 (Big City Apology) of Roderick on the Line and I've been cracking up for literally an hour. I'm telling you guys, get on this podcast

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Roderick on the Line always jumps to the top of the queue when a new one comes out. I have 50 unlistened-to podcasts, but RotL comes first, dammit.

And then there was pump chili.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

dancehall posted:

Sweet Jesus I just made my way to ep 14 (Big City Apology) of Roderick on the Line and I've been cracking up for literally an hour. I'm telling you guys, get on this podcast

How do you get past the fact that this John Roderick joker isn't Adam Lisagor and Scott Simpson?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I takes what I can gets.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I get around 15 new podcasts every Monday and Bill Burr's always takes more time to download than the rest of them combined.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HateTheInternet posted:

I get around 15 new podcasts every Monday and Bill Burr's always takes more time to download than the rest of them combined.

Sometimes it even drops with a partial download for me and I have to download it two or three times.

He's probably paying some idiot friend from the old days way too much to have it hosted out of his garage or something.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm not sure who is still following Gelmania but the latest episode has an absolutely batshit insane audio play at the end that is almost more of an avant garde horror story than anything else. I loved it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Capm posted:

I'm not sure who is still following Gelmania but the latest episode has an absolutely batshit insane audio play at the end that is almost more of an avant garde horror story than anything else. I loved it.

I don't think Paul Scheer has ever been so disgusting, I loved it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just listened to that Gelmenia episode (and it was the first time I listened to that podcast). What the gently caress did I just listen to? I absolutely loved it. Are the other episodes completely insane too?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every Gelmania is incredible. You guys got me all excited for a new episode :(

If you're new to Brett, check out his appearances on Comedy Bang Bang,
http://www.earwolf.com/guest/brettgelman/

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Teenage Fansub posted:

Every Gelmania is incredible. You guys got me all excited for a new episode :(

If you're new to Brett, check out his appearances on Comedy Bang Bang,
http://www.earwolf.com/guest/brettgelman/

Oh god, the iBrain...

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I saw Brett Gelman last year at the Traverse City comedy fest on a show with Jeff Garlin and Aubrey Plaza. Even though it was a comedy festival it was Traverse City so the room was probably 80% old white people. Brett Gelman thought this would be a great place to read iBrain. I Can't even describe the look on the face of the 90 year old accordion player who was the only other person on stage until Jeff Garlin came out to cut him off. I think the people of Traverse City are too weirdly polite to walk out because I don't think anyone did but that was the most tense I've ever felt a room. The second show was a younger crowd though and he read the whole thing, which I'm not sure he's even done on any podcasts.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I dropped another Lou Reads a couple of days ago. I ran into a fence post while snowboarding last week and I've been a little slow in the brainpan since (even though I didn't hit my brain). Just getting around to telling people about it now. I read from a GBS thread. I can't decide if I should post it in there, too.

http://loureads.com/2012/02/29/lou-reads-tales-of-soul-crushing-moments-from-the-something-awful-forums/

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Everyone should check out the new Who Charted just to hear Adomian's impressions of comedians like Todd Glass and PFT.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Trujillo posted:

I saw Brett Gelman last year at the Traverse City comedy fest on a show with Jeff Garlin and Aubrey Plaza. Even though it was a comedy festival it was Traverse City so the room was probably 80% old white people. Brett Gelman thought this would be a great place to read iBrain. I Can't even describe the look on the face of the 90 year old accordion player who was the only other person on stage until Jeff Garlin came out to cut him off. I think the people of Traverse City are too weirdly polite to walk out because I don't think anyone did but that was the most tense I've ever felt a room. The second show was a younger crowd though and he read the whole thing, which I'm not sure he's even done on any podcasts.

This honestly sounds like the greatest thing ever, and I am sincerely jealous that you got to witness this.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Fil5000 posted:

Oh god, the iBrain...

That was magnificent :stare:. I would kill to see him do that live in front of an elderly crowd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trujillo posted:

I love Gelman, so much, so very much.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'm almost positive they record every show at the festival but I've looked and it isn't up anywhere. I was planning on volunteering this year, and I would have tried to get that footage, but it was cancelled this time around because of some scheduling conflict. Hopefully next time they do it I'll get my hands on it because it needs to be seen.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

I don't see anyone mentioning improv4humans, it's probably the podcast I look forward to the most every week, there's no bad episode of it.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Cyberthug Radio posted "Y'all still here?" to Facebook today, I hope this means something :ohdear:

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
hmm, @cyberthugradio just became active again too...

@lassetoft posted:

Cyber, are you back? gently caress them racoons, man.

@cyberthugradio posted:

@lassetoft Back? gently caress no. Never left, son. Straight cash.

Posted 9 hours ago...last post was Dec 14, 2010.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Scott said something about cyberthug "absolutely never coming back" on twitter the other day. I feel like he probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all if nothing was actually happening, right?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just saw a boycott list of Rush Limbaugh's sponsors and some of the names are the same companies that sponsor most of the podcasts I listen to, including LegalZoom, Carbonite, GoToMyPC, and ProFlowers.

But I guess EarWolf and other podcast networks are not really in a financial position to refuse any sponsors, so there's no use criticizing them for it. I already don't use the products/services from those companies so it makes no difference to my life.

Jungledisk > Carbonite and GoToMyPC sucks compared to alternatives like TeamViewer.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Popelmon posted:

I just listened to that Gelmenia episode (and it was the first time I listened to that podcast). What the gently caress did I just listen to? I absolutely loved it. Are the other episodes completely insane too?

"Break out of your coffin, mom, and foot face-gently caress these hobos with me"?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

can someone explain gelmania to me? I tried listening to an episode, would listen to a couple minutes then fast forward 5-10 minutes, and it was the most confusing thing ever. I'd try to stick with it and not fast forward but my brain just couldn't comprehend what was going on

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What's wrong with it? It's a structured bunch of skits.

A crazy satanic hype rant to open
Rap track
Recurring voicemail bit
A continuing story part
Old men arguing skit
Large sketch with guests
Brett's plugs
an outro

Except for some crazy production and the heavy, oppressive tone, its a pretty typical format.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 3, 2012

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

can someone explain gelmania to me? I tried listening to an episode, would listen to a couple minutes then fast forward 5-10 minutes, and it was the most confusing thing ever. I'd try to stick with it and not fast forward but my brain just couldn't comprehend what was going on

A lot of Gelman's humor comes from parodying the idea of being subversive and artistic for art's sake. Some of his sketches do this in a very subtle way. It's easier to understand when you know that sometimes he's going more for a tone than a punchline (wherein the tone becomes the punchline).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I love his remixed earwolf outro, too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
And he also seems like a hippy liberal, so I bet it is a little cathartic for him to act like he does too.

The Ronna and Beverly podcast is on Earwolf, and I think it's really funny. You should listen to it. `_`

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've been getting into The Champs lately. Really entertaining podcast that feels refreshingly outside of the Earwolf/Nerdist family by simply having guests of color. Hosted by Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher and punctured throughout with sound clips from Tim & Eric/Portlandia's DJ Dougpound.

Guests have included J.B. Smoove, Sasha Grey, David Allen Grier, Flying Lotus, Lexington Steele, and Blake Griffin.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
http://store.earwolf.com/collections/featured/products/brand-new-cyberthug-radio-with-miles-archer-the-complete-collection

quote:

Brand NEW Cyberthug Radio with Miles Archer - The Complete Collection
$7.99
Cyberthug and Miles Archer are back with another unauthorized transmission of Cyberthug Radio! Find out what really went on with Cyberthug Radio in this unique bundle that includes; the first 2 Cyberthug Radio episodes previously released in December 2010 and a BRAND NEW 64 minute show. Cyber and Miles explain why they left Earwolf and tell everyone what they really think of Scott Awkwardman and Jeff "The Devil" Ullrich. They define whack pussy. TJ Miller gets lost and joins the show for a bit and we all get another Cyberthug Radio. Everybody wins!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Seems a little pricy but I hope this means that the show is coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
$8 for an hour is steep, but I've bought stand-up albums shorter than that, so I'll deal.

• Locked thread