Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oxford Comma posted:

How well would the non-Russian members of the Soviet Union have fought against NATO forces? I'm getting the feeling a lot of Khazaks and Uzbeks wouldn't put up much of a fight.

They sure as poo poo didn't refuse to fight the Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Yeah I really can't see them being any less keen than Russians.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Germans might not have been all that keen to throw down against Other Germans but who knows?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Cyrano4747 posted:

They sure as poo poo didn't refuse to fight the Nazis.

I don't think they would refuse to fight NATO forces as much as they probably wouldn't fight with the same zeal and passion as ethnic Russians.

You probably know this better than anyone else, Cyrano, but didn't the Ostbataillonen surrender to the allied forces rather quickly? Or am I mistaken in this.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always heard the Asians in the Red Army were considered stone cold killaz.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

I don't think they would refuse to fight NATO forces as much as they probably wouldn't fight with the same zeal and passion as ethnic Russians.

You probably know this better than anyone else, Cyrano, but didn't the Ostbataillonen surrender to the allied forces rather quickly? Or am I mistaken in this.
I suspect that fighting for the Germans and fighting for the Soviet Union were two pretty different things to them.

The other Republics, as well as some of Russia's nether regions, produced some pretty amazing soldiers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oxford Comma posted:

Rossmum's right that you can't really compare the Ostbatallionen to the various non-ethnic Russian formations in Soviet units.

That said, even within the VERY broad scope of Ostbatallionen, it all depends on who you're talking about. Most of the ones that the US ran into in western europe were full of the sort of guys who the Germans considered way, WAY too untrustworthy to throw at the Soviets. A lot of those were made up of Soviet POWs (frequently Ukranians or other non-Russian, non-asiatic SSRs) who they freed as long as they signed up to fight with them. A fair number were also glorified penal battalions. Basically, the guys that they didn't trust enough not to defect to some random partisan group if they were anywhere but Western Europe, where they were good enough for occupation/police detail but culturally and linguistically stood out enough that they couldn't just walk away.

Now, the guys who WERE considered trustworthy tended to be some loving psycho killers. The SS battalions raised from the various Baltic states come to mind - those guys were really goddamned good at beating back the Red Army. Then there were all of the Polish/Ukranian/Bellorussian/etc police units that they used for anti-partisan warfare, occasional frontline work, and who did a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE chunk of the trigger pulling in the Holocaust. Then there were the specifically rabid anti-communist groups, frequently made up of various ethnicities and cultural groups who had been hosed over by Stalin. The Cossacks are a great example of this, and the Germans fielded a full division of them. Those poor SOBs fought a fighting retreat all the way into Austria just to stay ahead of the Russians (who were justifiably pissed at them) only to be turned over, along with the families that they brought with them, to the Soviets by the British Army.

You see a similar spectrum with the Russians, ranging from completely unreliable units that they used for throw-away attacks over minefields in advance of the real soldiers on through units like the 2nd and 3rd (Cossack) Cavalry Corps, which were two of the few units to be raised to Guard status because of their battlefield exploits and accomplishments, and all this despite a lot of bad blood over the fact that a bunch of their fellow Cossacks were running to fight for the other guys.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Oxford Comma posted:

How well would the non-Russian members of the Soviet Union have fought against NATO forces? I'm getting the feeling a lot of Khazaks and Uzbeks wouldn't put up much of a fight.

I've seen this theory brought up before (though I can't remember where) and I believe the conclusion was that the various -stanis and Slavs taking the opportunity of war to cast off their Russian oppressors was about as likely as the Western proletariat rising up in solidarity with their Soviet liberators against the bourgeois aggressors (i.e not very likely at all.)

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.
For those that follow the saga of the F-35 you will find Stephen Trimble's recent blog post about Top Gun 2 to be especially delightful.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/03/top-gun-2-will-rock-the-f-35-t.html

quote:

Maverick is becoming an F-35 test pilot.

It's true.

Tom Burbage, the Lockheed Martin F-35 programme manager, showed up at a National Aeronautics Association luncheon today and dropped a bombshell of a Hollywood scoop. Sure, there was talk about schedules and budgets, partners and politics, software blocks and carrier hooks. But we'll get to that later.

The big news from Burbage's speech involves Top Gun 2, the long-not-quite-awaited-but-certainly-delayed sequel of the 1986 fighter jock classic.

Tom Cruise, of course, confirmed back in December that the sequel is coming, but nobody -- not even IMDB (we checked) -- knows the full story.

But Burbage does. Lockheed's Fort Worth, Texas, factory and flight test center will host production crew in the "next month or so" to start filming, Burbage told the NAA luncheon crowd.

Burbage also confirmed that Cruise will not just make a cameo; he will be the star, and he is playing the role of a Lockheed F-35 test pilot!

Potential plot twists fill our heads.

There will be no need to resurrect Goose, as the F-35 is a single-seater. With the Libyan air force in smouldering ruins, there will also be no need to stage another improbable yet inspiring combat scenario. Indeed, as a test pilot, it's not clear how the movie's writers can weave Maverick into a combat situation.

Maybe we've been covering the industry too long, but our perfect plot for Top Gun 2 has no combat sequences at all. Instead, it goes like this:

Maverick is a test pilot struggling to keep the flight test programme on schedule, even though his better judgment is sometimes compromised by a lifelong, paralyzing fear of vertical landings. Maverick almost throws in the towel after his favourite knee board/test card holder is destroyed in an unfortunate lift fan malfunction. Meanwhile, the programme's enemies, led by the snearing Bill "Iceman" Sweetman and Karlo "Slider" Kopp, take advantage of Maverick's absence to nearly bury the programme in a wave of seemingly overwhelming blog attacks. That's when Maverick's love interest -- a Texas congresswoman strategically placed on the AirLand subcommittee -- intervenes. She gives Maverick her father's last knee board (er, her father was also a test pilot ... just go with it) and literally pushes him back into the cockpit. Maverick straps on the knee board, takes the Block 3 software build out for a spin, hits every test point and -- for the finale -- lands vertically right on top of Aviation Week's building in downtown Washington DC. And that's when Kenny Loggins starts singing.

May not be funny to most people but I think this is hysterical especially if you read it while playing the top gun theme song in the background.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Keep in mind that during the Cold War, a lot of the Soviet forces in Europe were also there to keep the Soviet boot firmly on the necks of a lot of Warsaw Pact nations, a lot of which might have had some reliable combat units and government figures, but were of dubious overall loyalty.

Poland might not have been ready to take on the rest of the Warsaw Pact and unilaterally declare independence or anything, but the Polish intelligence units and not a few military officers were actively involved in running operations against the Soviets- poo poo ranged from minor "gently caress you" handovers of intel to NATO to poo poo like shipping a bunch of SA-7's to the Afghan insurgents (through a ton of middlemen, obviously).

The Soviets always had plans for invasions of nominal allies- like Hungary or the Prague Spring- but after Karol Józef Wojtyła became John Paul II and Solidarity got rolling, they really got ready for that poo poo- practicing airborne seziures of Polish airports and so on.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
A lot of the Warsaw Pact armies were relatively weak and poorly trained. I don't know how much help they would have been in a real war.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

daskrolator posted:

For those that follow the saga of the F-35 you will find Stephen Trimble's recent blog post about Top Gun 2 to be especially delightful.

The last line works for me. No Top Gun movie is a Top Gun movie without Kenny Loggins.

In unrelated news I was looking up C-130s to make fun of Treyarch for Black Ops, but figured these are nice pictures. Go herky bird. I'd forgotten several were retrofitted into airborne tankers:

And this one is clearly USAF if they care about making it look good as opposed to making it function (ho ho ho):

(actually this airframe has a lot of hours over the Gulf of Mexico and salt corrosion is bad.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I pictured some guy at the wheel of one of those Humvees, screaming his lungs out.

brains
May 12, 2004

Psion posted:

In unrelated news I was looking up C-130s to make fun of Treyarch for Black Ops, but figured these are nice pictures. Go herky bird. I'd forgotten several were retrofitted into airborne tankers:

this pic works well as a reminder that ch-53s are almost as long as a c-130. longer, if you count the rotor diameter in total length, and almost the same footprint. they're gigantic.

edit: the ch-53e is actually longer

brains fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 1, 2012

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

brains posted:

this pic works well as a reminder that ch-53s are almost as long as a c-130. longer, if you count the rotor diameter in total length, and almost the same footprint. they're gigantic.

edit: the ch-53e is actually longer

Did someone say CH-53 and C-130?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0sRWCf9k4

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

priznat posted:

I pictured some guy at the wheel of one of those Humvees, screaming his lungs out.

More like wearing aviator sunglasses and high-fiving each other

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I think he means screaming with excitement

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Groda posted:

Did someone say CH-53 and C-130?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0sRWCf9k4

Well I can chalk "seeing a helicopter give itself a circumcision" off my bucket list. Good lord.

mikerock posted:

I think he means screaming with excitement

Then they'd be high fiving each other with their dicks.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

fuf posted:

Can anyone solve this?

:smug:

Suicide Watch posted:

the winningest wing commander ever:

legends aren't born, they're made
His balls had their own ejection seat.

on a separate note, I think I might get one of these EDF "Nano" ready to fly planes.
http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-rc-airplanes-electric-fighter-rc-jets.html

This A10 has me excited
http://www.bananahobby.com/2222.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, but the Kola bay was the site of a huge concentration of soviet naval vessels, especially submarines. Being able to run ASW patrols out of Norway would have been a huge part of any kind of convoy security scheme.

Also interdicting any ASM launching bombers and/or Bear search aircraft. It's not like northern Norway was absolutely essential for this (as opposed to the G-I-UK gap, which was), but operating out of Norway would get you ahead of the power curve and enable more of a defense in depth in the North Atlantic as opposed to just attempting to hold the G-I-UK line.

Koesj posted:

Yeah no poo poo but why wait for NATO to build up if your best forces are already garrisoned in the right places and numbers are already favoring you 2:1. That's what I was getting at.

I've addressed it before in the thread, but the concern with convoys wasn't combat forces and personnel, it was consumables. There was enough equipment prepo'd in Europe at the various POMCUS sites that the REFORGER flow (assuming NATO had the expected 48 hrs or whatever of unambiguous warning that war was imminent) would rapidly build up U.S. forces in Germany once the personnel mated up with the POMCUS equipment (as well as enabling mobilization from the European states). Although replacement equipment for combat attrition would clearly be a part of the convoy flow, the largest concern was for consumables like POL and ammo. You can only preposition so much, and IIRC the amount scattered about Europe was only enough for something like 15ish days of warfighting (it definitely wouldn't be more than 30, but for some reason I feel like it was less than that), after which point the NATO forces were going to require bulk sealift resupply from the CONUS...hence why the North Atlantic was going to be such a big loving deal. By the '80s when NATO had adopted AirLand Battle and wasn't going to resort immediately to tactical nukes (in theory), the big concern wasn't immediately losing the war in the first couple of days, it was losing the war in the period after that, due in part to lack of consumables from Soviet interdiction of the convoys.

daskrolator posted:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/03/top-gun-2-will-rock-the-f-35-t.html

May not be funny to most people but I think this is hysterical especially if you read it while playing the top gun theme song in the background.

Hahahahahahaha....I lost it at "Bill 'Iceman' Sweetman" and "Karlo 'Slider' Kopp." Also the ending is just loving perfect.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've seen this theory brought up before (though I can't remember where) and I believe the conclusion was that the various -stanis and Slavs taking the opportunity of war to cast off their Russian oppressors was about as likely as the Western proletariat rising up in solidarity with their Soviet liberators against the bourgeois aggressors (i.e not very likely at all.)
Goddamn that last part would make the most gloriously :ussr: movie ever, I wish it was a thing.

You're pretty much on the money, though, and if you look at how those nations were faring in the 1970s-80s USSR versus how they're faring now it's pretty obvious why. Say what you will about the Soviets, but people who would otherwise be living in a world of poo poo actually had a shot at getting somewhere in life. Now that everything's broken apart, a lot of the Asian SSRs are run by lunatics or mired in corruption (usually both) and living conditions vary from "pretty cushy" for the leader's flavour of the week friends to "enjoy your lovely crumbling apartment" for others. I saw a documentary a while back which caught up with kids that had been born towards the end of the USSR and where they are now compared to then, and the ones who had lived in Asian SSRs were barely getting by now.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Can any of you help me out with this picture?

I've never seen that particular tail marking on a RAF Tornado before, any idea what squadron it is? Or is it just a photoshop?

edit; so it isn't a photoshop. Curious about that maple leaf though...

Ruse fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 4, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ruse posted:

Can any of you help me out with this picture?

I've never seen that particular tail marking on a RAF Tornado before, any idea what squadron it is? Or is it just a photoshop?

edit; so it isn't a photoshop. Curious about that maple leaf though...

Looks like RAF 5 Squadron; their insignia is a maple leaf, and they flew Tornado ADVs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Goodnight, sweet scrap-metal princes :(

quote:

F-111s, C-5s, F-15s, C-130s, S-3s, A-4s, F-14s, H-53s, F-4s and C-141s being sold for scrap

The Pentagon has asked Government Liquidation, an Arizona company, to scrap aircraft store at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

It sucks that they can't part those out. I know that parting them out would let unsavory characters disassemble or possibly reverse engineer some of the tech, but I think it would be so boss to have an ejection seat from an A-4, or the HUD and panel of an F-14.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would put an F-14 in my front yard.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Looks like RAF 5 Squadron; their insignia is a maple leaf, and they flew Tornado ADVs.

Holy poo poo! Mons battle honours for an aircraft squadron!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Even though it's sad about those planes going to that great bulk-metal yard in the sky, I love it when this thread makes it back on the front page. It was the third full thread I read after discovering TFR (after the newbie question thread and the Unintended Consequences thread(:psyboom:), and I wish I had more to contribute to it than the 5.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Memento1979 posted:

Even though it's sad about those planes going to that great bulk-metal yard in the sky, I love it when this thread makes it back on the front page. It was the third full thread I read after discovering TFR (after the newbie question thread and the Unintended Consequences thread(:psyboom:), and I wish I had more to contribute to it than the 5.

I was honestly shocked it went more than a few days without any posts, it had to be revived. I had some articles from Alert 5 I was going to link to spawn discussion but I never got around to it.

Now, everyone should read this. Pretty eye-opening about how the "simplest" things can go bad, very quickly.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

movax posted:

I was honestly shocked it went more than a few days without any posts, it had to be revived. I had some articles from Alert 5 I was going to link to spawn discussion but I never got around to it.

Now, everyone should read this. Pretty eye-opening about how the "simplest" things can go bad, very quickly.

Added sadnote, the guy that wrote that was killed in a Kfir crash at Fallon last week.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

rossmum posted:

You're pretty much on the money, though, and if you look at how those nations were faring in the 1970s-80s USSR versus how they're faring now it's pretty obvious why. Say what you will about the Soviets, but people who would otherwise be living in a world of poo poo actually had a shot at getting somewhere in life. Now that everything's broken apart, a lot of the Asian SSRs are run by lunatics or mired in corruption (usually both) and living conditions vary from "pretty cushy" for the leader's flavour of the week friends to "enjoy your lovely crumbling apartment" for others. I saw a documentary a while back which caught up with kids that had been born towards the end of the USSR and where they are now compared to then, and the ones who had lived in Asian SSRs were barely getting by now.

Rodric Braithwaite talks a little bit about this in his book Afgantsy (which is very good btw - not done yet, but I never knew how nuts from a planning and execution perspective the Soviet coup against Amin really was until I read this book). He lightly argues that the Soviet could purport to have a kind of legitimate claim in Afghanistan that they knew how to raise your typical Central Asian -stan out of complete poverty into a comparatively less impoverished, more modern and more literate nation. The potential long-term consequences we see now are of course terrible, but at the time it made some sense.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Proc posted:

Added sadnote, the guy that wrote that was killed in a Kfir crash at Fallon last week.

That's how I found his blog :smith:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

That's how I found his blog :smith:

Yeah, I posted about that in the AI thread a couple days after it happened but I forgot to post it here...really sad news and quite a loss. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that his skills in writing about aviation were right up there with Ernest Gann, which I think is probably the highest praise I could give somebody who writes about flying.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
On the "would the non ethnic russian 'stanis fight for the soviets in ww3" question, Its important to note that the series of protests that spiraled into the dissolution of the soviet union were highly accelrated by events in the southern soviet satellite states.

The wiki on the fall of the soviet union can explain it better than i can, but the polish/baltic uprisings were only half the game, the 'stans uprisings required the soviets to litterally invade and lock down cities in kazakstan with brutality they couldnt get away with in europe. The result was the 'stanis giving a big gently caress you to moscow, and helping the snowball reach its ultimate conlusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Soviet_Union

Its a huge read but well worth it for those of us who were pants shitters when it all
went down.

On another note, there are some awesome sci-fi near future books written in the 70's about what the manned presence in space wouldve been had the soviets continued full steam, the shuttle had worked as promised, and both governments took the cold war into space full tilt. I cant remember names but just look in any used book store for old paperbacks with space shuttles and hammer+sickles on the cover. Theyre comedic but entertaining what-ifs.

The scifi classic "the mote in gods eye" is set in a world where the Soviets and USA decided it was best to just rule the world together, and keep those "developing nations" underfoot, so they established a "co-dominium" whos flag was a soviet/american overlay, outlawed all armies but their own, and banned scientific research into weapons or anything weaponizable, to maintan a permanent status quo of western-soviet domination.

Sorry for my derail into fantasy in a thread full of stranger than fiction true stories.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Raw_Beef posted:

On the "would the non ethnic russian 'stanis fight for the soviets in ww3" question, Its important to note that the series of protests that spiraled into the dissolution of the soviet union were highly accelrated by events in the southern soviet satellite states.

I think I was the one who opened that original can of worms. Some of the Asian -stans in the USSR could probably be persuaded to fight, but I have a hard time seeing the Baltic states cooperating with the USSR for long.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I remember some "hypothetical WW III" books from the 70s/80s having a good amount of theorizing on whether any of the Soviet or US allies would actually go along for the ride in a hot/nuclear war. Neither are all that realistic, but Hackett's The Third World War had the whole of the Warsaw Pact rise up in arms against the Soviets once Russia launched the first nuke, and Strieber's War Day had the NATO countries physically capture and disarm all the American nuclear arsenals in Europe (under some secret protocol with the WP) to keep the nuclear exchange strictly between the US and the Soviet Union.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Disabling the American stockpile in Europe most likely would have resulted in the second and third strikes targeting Europe, so that sounds a bit far-fetched. If a full on exchange happened under those circumstances, it's not like the US and Soviets would throw up their hands and say "welp, Europe is neutral now".

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

VikingSkull posted:

Disabling the American stockpile in Europe most likely would have resulted in the second and third strikes targeting Europe, so that sounds a bit far-fetched. If a full on exchange happened under those circumstances, it's not like the US and Soviets would throw up their hands and say "welp, Europe is neutral now".

Yeah, nowadays Streiber is best buds with Art Bell, which should tell you how much stock to put into his ideas. Although the book did do a decent job of showing the US as a disintegrating third-world nation occupied by foreign peacekeepers from what I remember. Post-apocalyptic literature is a guilty pleasure but in order for the plot to be something other than 'everyone dies a horrible death' they have to take a lot of liberties.

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
Does any one have any more information about the UK RAF in the cold war? Or about Spains situation, how would things have gone down if the cold war went hot when they were under Franco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Europe would still have been hosed over, simply because an about-to-be-nuked-the-poo poo-out-of Soviet Union wouldn't allow its smoldering ruins to be steamrolled by intact Western European powers on the lookout for an easy catch. Now, it might be argued that Western Europe would see little to no use in spending vast resources in securing a huge, extremely difficult to hold territory that's been irradiated, blasted and is filled with desperate survivors. But I don't know if Soviet generals and core politburo members, battle-hardened in the meatgrinders of the Eastern fronts during WW2, would consider such trivialities in an acute situation. Europe probably would be nuked, and under any circumstance would be in deep poo poo as well as soon as the tidal waves of refugees and the fallout began to hit. Always keep in mind just how destructive nuclear war actually is. It's not like WW2 times ten. It's a logarithmic step, not linear.

Dumbdog posted:

Does any one have any more information about the UK RAF in the cold war? Or about Spains situation, how would things have gone down if the cold war went hot when they were under Franco?

The RAF? Huge, powerful air force? Well, where to start really?

Spain was initially viewed as a pariah in Europe and the West following WW2 due to their overt support of the Axis powers, even participating with troops on the Eastern front. How they ever managed to keep calling themselves neutral is something I'll never fully understand. Since they hated commies even after the war was over, the US started thawing up to dear old Franco and from the late fifties and on, they were with the Good Guys. The economy began to open up and diversify, and stuff generally went better all over right up until Franco finally croaked and the ETA killed off his designated heir in a spectacular car bombing. Following which normalcy began to return bit by bit over a period of, say, ten years. After a stable democracy was secured (there was a nasty coup attempt which the King himself played a big role in defeating), EU membership awaited, and from then on it's steady progress up until...well, right about now, in fact.

Spain had a relatively big military, as would befit a militaristic dictatorship, so they were useful in addition to the extremely strategic position of Spain and her maritime provinces in the Atlantic and Africa, but there was a lot of Paper Tiger Syndrome as well as a generally low level of military technological sophistication due to the sheer economic hardships of the fifties and sixties. But a good source for an infantry division or ten (with CETMEs!)