Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Anyway so looking at the tracklisting I realise I listen to absolutely none of this stuff normally, so is this going to be some weird, inexplicable hybrid 140/D&B thing? I say that only 'cause I spotted Rockwell and Spinline on there and I didn't think they did anything other than D&B, or is this a recent developments? Or just surprisingly creative mixing?

The Rockwell is dnb, not sure if the Spinline tune will be non-dnb. Rockwell did have a remix on Hemlock last year, and it wasn't dnb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

06/04/12 - fabriclive w/ Pearson Sound, Ben UFO, Pangaea, Blawan, Jackmaster

07/04/12 - 81502 w/ Loefah, Oneman, Boddika, Zed Bias, Mickey Pearce, Pinch

Fuuuuck

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

The Rockwell is dnb, not sure if the Spinline tune will be non-dnb. Rockwell did have a remix on Hemlock last year, and it wasn't dnb.

It's a bit of a shame it won't be a full on D&B mix I guess. Off the top of my head that Shogun Audio programme is the only drum and bass slot on the schedule (at least that I can remember), so I guess it would've been cool to represent that.

Though how much that would crossover with the average Rinse listener/CD buyer I couldn't tell you unfortunately.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009

Waarg posted:

07/04/12 - 81502 w/ Loefah, Oneman, Boddika, Zed Bias, Mickey Pearce, Pinch

YES CHUNKY ! on it like gromit

edit: i have seen icicle live a few times and hes killed it every time some big tracks both dnb and dubstep

this is good apart from the bad video nice and spacious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fg7EVT8xJ8 (dnb)

qwako fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2012

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Yeah that Rockwell tune is d&b. It's a corker actually. Not quite so keen on the flipside ('Tripwire'), though I can imagine it destroying a d&b rave.
Here's 'The Rain': http://soundcloud.com/shogunaudio/rockwell-the-rain

Speaking of Rockwell, I supported him a few months ago and he had a bunch of ~130bpm tunes to test out. They were really really good too. He said he's planning on getting them released but not entirely sure how just yet.

And yeah it looks like Icicle will be going from dubstep to d&b in this mix, he does that in most of his radio shows/mixes these days. His stuff (and most of the stuff he plays) is all absolutely cracking. Super-clean, but somehow with soul.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm not gonna lie, I have absolutely zero interest in a DnB Rinse mix. I generally turn the shows off when it's DnB hour.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Mike_V posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I have absolutely zero interest in a DnB Rinse mix. I generally turn the shows off when it's DnB hour.

Give Icicle's mix a bash. I don't listen to much d&b these days, but he's one of the few people I keep an eye on still.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

And I was being truthful when I said I listen to absolutely none of it, but still, it'd be an interesting thing to put out none the less, another showcase of what's on Rinse and I know that whole Shogun Audio stuff is pretty well respected in the D&B world. But like I was saying I don't know how big it's appeal would be given Drum & Bass has been long gone from the dials for the best part 15 years now (unless you're KoolFM, but no-one cares about Kool anymore) and I don't know how much crossover there would be 'market wise' or whatever. Basically gently caress knows if it'd sell.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone else feeling Beneath?

http://soundcloud.com/beneath

I missed this when it came out and just heard it the other day. Twitter's "who you should follow" of all places pointed me to him. It's really dark funky, kind of like Loefah meets Lil Silva.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Going to this tomorrow night should be fun http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?340227

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
It's Friday Round Up Time! Come hear my choices of this weeks hottest cuts then never buy them because my inept comments puts you right off! As usual stuff is either out right now - yes right now as you're reading this you shouldn't be reading this you should be buying those - or will be out over the next week or so.

First up we have DJ Q with Brandy & Coke/JD & Coke, out on Local Action. It's been floating about for a while but finally here on vinyl. DJ Q still confuses those of us old enough to remember the other DJ Q, the House master who brought us classy (and appropriate) tracks like Glasgow's Jazz. Anyway here we have two prime cuts of UK Garage/2-Step influenced action. Proper vocal pressure too, the way it should be. The b-side has a bit rougher with a kinda metallic synth thing going on to sharpen things up a bit.

GoldFFinch returns with this second single on Saigon. Continuing on from last time we have a kinda metally tribal number on the A, swinging beat meets some cut-up/sampled vocals that'll probably be right up the street of those Addison Groove etc fans. The flip's a more lush, Housey kinda number.

Everyone's favourite possible Libertarian Distal teams up again with HxdB with a release on Tectonic. Booyant is kinda on a Dub Techno tip, only a bit more loose and not as boring. Amphibian on the flip is a bit more low key, a bit more minimal. Percussion and weird kinda haunting, pitchy things on top. Kinda weird, but good. Bizarrely neither track will be on his newly announced album which is out next month. New Order can do that, but sadly Distal ain't New Order.

Peverelist's Livity Sound label brings us a release by Asusu, Sister/Too Much Time Has Passed. Honestly this is sounding really fantastic. Both tracks are ultra deep rollers, filled with aquatic pads and drums that just bob along on the surface, letting you know something is alive under there. Maybe not one for your 2am hardcore massive, but I'm digging this.

Crazy P returns on 2020 Vision, this time their tune Changes - a cut from their last album - has been remixed by Appleblim. A great little remix here with some 2-step action on one side (appropriately named Bristol Soul Mix) and a deep and dubbed out version on the flip. Apparently though it doesn't exist and bugger all has it in stock, but trust me it's coming out over the next week or so. I'll update when I spot it. There's also another remix EP of the same tune out as well, with Hot Toddy, Fernando and Mario Basanov mixes and it's pretty nice also. One for the more trad House folks among youse.

Speaking of Changes, Mala's classic track gets a limited repress too. Pick it up while you can.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Peverelist's Livity Sound label brings us a release by Asusu, Sister/Too Much Time Has Passed. Honestly this is sounding really fantastic. Both tracks are ultra deep rollers, filled with aquatic pads and drums that just bob along on the surface, letting you know something is alive under there. Maybe not one for your 2am hardcore massive, but I'm digging this.

I got this a week or two ago (it was available early from Hardwax) and it is fantastic. Highly recommended, one of my fav purchases from the last month or so.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Decline posted:

Blackdown tweeted a link to 2 hours of unreleased LHF dubs this morning: http://goo.gl/ew7wz

Not a bad way to start the day.

That link went down, is there a different mirror?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Can't remember if anyone posted this, but I really like Soap Dodgers new single off Wheel & Deal: http://soundcloud.com/surus/soap-dodgers-rachel-went-south

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Can't remember if anyone posted this, but I really like Soap Dodgers new single off Wheel & Deal: http://soundcloud.com/surus/soap-dodgers-rachel-went-south

I had it in one of my Friday round up thingies a few weeks ago. Though that was only the promos. I think I said wait for the full artwork release as N-Type's design is pretty nice. If only all the more jump-uppy type stuff was on the same level everything would be golden as it's jumping and pumping without sounding utter shite.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
This tonight for free !

Instra:Mental / Zed Bias / Hyetal / Arp101 (Alix Perez) / Slimzee
Funkystepz / Pusherman / Shox / Arkist / Altered Natives & Special Guests

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Mosquito / Planet X is finally coming out this week. I am so pumped about this.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

qwako posted:

This tonight for free !

Instra:Mental / Zed Bias / Hyetal / Arp101 (Alix Perez) / Slimzee
Funkystepz / Pusherman / Shox / Arkist / Altered Natives & Special Guests

poo poo, I just came across Instra:Mental last night browsing on Surus for new tracks. Some of that poo poo is pretty bonkers!

And side note, I think Mickey Pearce got me into UK Funky. I thought it would be a corny concept, but I'm loving how far they're pushing it these days

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

JohnnyMondo posted:

And side note, I think Mickey Pearce got me into UK Funky. I thought it would be a corny concept, but I'm loving how far they're pushing it these days

Which release got you into UK Funky? Because Mickey Pearce isn't the first person I think of when I think of Funky

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Mickey Pearce is incredible but yeah he's not at all in the UK funky vein from what I can tell.

Also radio rips of his new tunes are on youtube!

TEMPTED
http://youtu.be/ZGkMF5Yn3-Q

Did this one ever get a release?
TAKE YOUR SOCKS OFF
http://youtu.be/noiqkXSHZ0E

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Funkystepz released his Circles EP recently and it's pretty good. Some of the remixes on it aren't very good, but that's to be expected.

Also, he remixed a Rihanna track and it's nice, although the article describing is clueless: http://www.ology.com/music/funkystepz-remixes-rihannas-birthday-cake/03062012

Don't forget to get Champion - Crazy (Feat Princess Nyah), if only for the Terror Danjah & DOK remix!.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Which release got you into UK Funky? Because Mickey Pearce isn't the first person I think of when I think of Funky

His flagship track, Don't Ask Don't Get. I mean it's pretty abstract, but I saw it listed from a bunch of people as Funky, and it does follow that dem bow pattern, just not in the drums. It's pretty abstract, but rhythmically it fits

Edit: That and Goldffinch Funky Steppa, those tracks just blew me away

reichsten fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Funkystepz released his Circles EP recently and it's pretty good. Some of the remixes on it aren't very good, but that's to be expected.

Also, he remixed a Rihanna track and it's nice, although the article describing is clueless: http://www.ology.com/music/funkystepz-remixes-rihannas-birthday-cake/03062012

Don't forget to get Champion - Crazy (Feat Princess Nyah), if only for the Terror Danjah & DOK remix!.

There's a Wookie/Exemen remix on the thing that sounds good actually, though unless it comes out on vinyl/CD it's not something I'll pick up sadly. Same with Lily McKenzie's actual EP, it doesn't sound half bad. All guitary and kinda rocky in that not sucky way too. And apparently I just missed her on Rinse too, ah well.

Actually I'm glad that Wookie's Exemen alias has came back recently. He did a Jessie J remix recently too which was good despite the fact it involved Jessie J (bitch ain't no Pixie Lott).

JohnnyMondo posted:

His flagship track, Don't Ask Don't Get. I mean it's pretty abstract, but I saw it listed from a bunch of people as Funky, and it does follow that dem bow pattern, just not in the drums. It's pretty abstract, but rhythmically it fits

Edit: That and Goldffinch Funky Steppa, those tracks just blew me away

I don't think I'd call either of them Funky. That Shabba riddim style isn't where Funky comes from, other than both cribed their bones a bit from the original Soca. More obviously so in Funkys case. I honestly don't think if Don't Ask or Funky Steppa came out in 07/08 when Funky was it it's peak that they would fit in with any of it. Some bits, but they're way too... abstract I guess is a good term you used.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I don't think I'd call either of them Funky. That Shabba riddim style isn't where Funky comes from, other than both cribed their bones a bit from the original Soca. More obviously so in Funkys case. I honestly don't think if Don't Ask or Funky Steppa came out in 07/08 when Funky was it it's peak that they would fit in with any of it. Some bits, but they're way too... abstract I guess is a good term you used.
Yeah I mean it's not that similar to the other Funky stuff I've gotten into, but it's kind of an IDM abstraction of the genre, which made me dig backwards and get into simpler Funky stuff. I personally think it's awesome that a genre can be pushed beyond recognition like that.

But is there a better genre for those tracks? It's a little beyond me how to explain it to someone.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JohnnyMondo posted:

Yeah I mean it's not that similar to the other Funky stuff I've gotten into, but it's kind of an IDM abstraction of the genre, which made me dig backwards and get into simpler Funky stuff. I personally think it's awesome that a genre can be pushed beyond recognition like that.

But is there a better genre for those tracks? It's a little beyond me how to explain it to someone.

Yeah I mean it is a tough one I guess. Honestly I'd just go for the generic catchall term of UK Bass, Bass music or whatever. It sounds stupid but a lot of record stores - real or online - are tagging stuff just as 'Bass' so it's become a pretty common term now. I think most people who know the script will know what you mean, and if they don't, well chances are you probably shouldn't be speaking to them in the first place! Unless they're pretty fit in which case get cracking with the chatting up.

Anyway that Mickey Pearce and Goldffinch tracks pretty good examples I guess. I listen to them and I hear just as much say, Dubstep in them as UK Garage, there's some House there but it's a bit too loose and groovy for big room or German stuff, but they're a bit too hard with not quite enough swing or sex in them to be Funky or more Housier Garage.

A lot of crossbreeding and general mutation between sounds now, you can't really go,"Oh that's a Dubstep tune" or "that's a House tune" or "that's a Garage tune". Everythings mixed like that, and to be honest it shouldn't/won't last forever. At the moment I see it like some bizarro Mexican standoff, just waiting for something to break. And as always keep locked on to the pirates for that announcement whenever it happens.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Either way, Night Slugs killed it tonight on Rinse. Was all heaters.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

Speaking of Rinse. I totally miss Uncle Dugs show on a Friday as I've sadly got other less important things to do, so I took a look at what he's done the past month and wow:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150723433979747&id=161449669746

Highlights for me are a Kid Andy interview - that's for JamesKPolk who posted in the phiz Junglist thread a Dica track that came out on his Boogie Beats label - and a 3 hour Moving Shadow special, everything from Earth Leakage Trip to that Krust remix of Dezires that I was never really too fond of but whatever. All the classics are in there.

Not too shabby if you ask me. Perfect for those who like to kick back and relax with a little Hardcore Jungle action, while hearing stories of old timers who've been at it forever.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim

a milk crime posted:

Do they have a regular show anymore or just fill in? They're not on the timetable.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Molotov Yogurt posted:

Do they have a regular show anymore or just fill in? They're not on the timetable.

I don't know - they show up regularly enough, so I don't know.

Also, it is here. This is the day I've been waiting for.

Also tune in right now for the Swamp 81 show on rinse

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 9, 2012

nines
Aug 13, 2007
I'm seeing coki tonight supported by 2 of my mates at a tiny venue in notts, can't wait. £1 entry yes please :)

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Need help, what are some artists similar to Skream, and Haywyre?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Need help, what are some artists similar to Skream, and Haywyre?

Benga, Kryptic Minds, Distance, Loefah.

Haywyre's music gives me a vibe that Flying Lotus was influential over his style. Look up other glitchy artists. Maybe TOKiMONSTA?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
I'd say check the obvious, that being Magnetic Man (which is Skream+Benga+Artwork). Not exactly out of leftfield, but some good stuff there.

And you folks are in for a treat. Possibly. Thinking about Skream got me thinking what old Rinse/Stella Seshs I actually still had kicking about. Not to many as it turns out, most falling victim to the great hard drives failures of 2005 and 2006, or my old pre-external HDD/actual working DVD burner method of just deleting old files to save space. But one thing I did find after a good bit of searching was a 2hr live recording of Skream playing here in Glasgow for the very first time in summer 2006!

I didn't even know I had it. or that it was even recorded but there we go. Total goosebumps, and it did make me realise Glasgow might've inadvertingly coined the term dungeon (not really but you'll see). Anyway that is now being uploaded, along with another wee gem for you. Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse from late 2005. Check back this post when I'll post the links to them. Whenever they actually upload to Mediafire, so probably in about 2 weeks time.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I didn't even know I had it. or that it was even recorded but there we go. Total goosebumps, and it did make me realise Glasgow might've inadvertingly coined the term dungeon (not really but you'll see). Anyway that is now being uploaded, along with another wee gem for you. Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse from late 2005. Check back this post when I'll post the links to them. Whenever they actually upload to Mediafire, so probably in about 2 weeks time.

Do you have a dropbox account? If you wouldn't mind sharing the file with me through that, I can upload it to a direct download and pass the link to everyone here.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

Do you have a dropbox account? If you wouldn't mind sharing the file with me through that, I can upload it to a direct download and pass the link to everyone here.

You're forgetting who you're talking to! Dropbox account? gently caress knows what that is. I had just planned on uploading to Mediafire and giving the link. I think I can do that can't I? I'm pretty sure I've done that before.

I could upload it to this, then if you wanted you could share it or something. Honestly my upload rates are measured in how many rings grow on the tree trunk before it finishes, so I'd probably be screwed wherever it gets uploaded to.

Okay folks come and get your somewhat sketchy sounding audio files! First up we have Skream @ Home Studios during the summer of 2006. This was the same place where Mala first played and was basically an empty shopfront front then with a big, tiled, low ceiling basement which is where we were. Nowadays it's the relatively new Glasgow African Carribbean Centre.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubvcva0m3esnvc6

And then from September 2005 we have Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse. I can only assume the actual file came from Barefiles, as this was before Rinse hosted anything themselves.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ifi2gpts9ifkaja

Again sound quality on both of them isn't exactly hi-fidelity, but if you ask me they're neat little snapshots of the scene of the time. Outside of the Dubstep Allstars series it really shows what mixes were like back then, what was being played, how it was played etc etc. No idea how long the links will last, if they'll last, or how many downloads it'll take so for the more industrious of you feel free if you want to upload it somewhere else.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 8, 2012

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You're forgetting who you're talking to! Dropbox account? gently caress knows what that is. I had just planned on uploading to Mediafire and giving the link. I think I can do that can't I? I'm pretty sure I've done that before.

I could upload it to this, then if you wanted you could share it or something. Honestly my upload rates are measured in how many rings grow on the tree trunk before it finishes, so I'd probably be screwed wherever it gets uploaded to.

Okay folks come and get your somewhat sketchy sounding audio files! First up we have Skream @ Home Studios during the summer of 2006. This was the same place where Mala first played and was basically an empty shopfront front then with a big, tiled, low ceiling basement which is where we were. Nowadays it's the relatively new Glasgow African Carribbean Centre.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubvcva0m3esnvc6

And then from September 2005 we have Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse. I can only assume the actual file came from Barefiles, as this was before Rinse hosted anything themselves.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ifi2gpts9ifkaja

Again sound quality on both of them isn't exactly hi-fidelity, but if you ask me they're neat little snapshots of the scene of the time. Outside of the Dubstep Allstars series it really shows what mixes were like back then, what was being played, how it was played etc etc. No idea how long the links will last, if they'll last, or how many downloads it'll take so for the more industrious of you feel free if you want to upload it somewhere else.

Downloaded. Thanks for the history lesson, as always.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Anybody ever checkout these 14 track specials from Boomkat? They put out one last month entitled Dubstep In Rude Health and the track list is pretty solid ending with Kindred making that maybe the 4th copy I have on various devices now.

1. KROMESTAR : 2012
2. Goth Trad : Cosmos
3. COKI : Tree Trunk
4. Killawatt & Ipman : Schizophonia
5. Author : Mothership
6. Objekt : Cactus
7. Akkord : Back & Forth
8. Kahn : Way Mi Defend
9. Commodo vs. Lurka : Airtight
10. PAMPIDOO : Synthesizer Voice (Goth-Trad Remix)
11. VARIOUS Feat Asher Dust : Air
12. MATHEW JONSON : Cold Blooded (dBridge's No Love Mix)
13. SHED : RQ-170
14. BURIAL : Kindred

http://boomkat.com/downloads/502515-various-14-tracks-14-tracks-dubstep-in-rude-health

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

a milk crime posted:

I don't know - they show up regularly enough, so I don't know.

Also, it is here. This is the day I've been waiting for.

Also tune in right now for the Swamp 81 show on rinse

Did you buy that Pearson Sound on vinyl? Is it pressed at 45 or 33? Inquiring minds must know

Also, the second Goldffinch EP is not that great, but I finally got Scuba - Personality and I'm pretty blown away. This dude has come so far in the past 8 years or so! The first 12 inches I heard from him were just sparse dubtstep, which at the time was blowing me away, but he's really evolved in a way that most of his peers have not. Killer record

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

JohnnyMondo posted:

Did you buy that Pearson Sound on vinyl? Is it pressed at 45 or 33? Inquiring minds must know

I bought it, it just shipped. It's only two tracks so it's probably 45 on each side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Decline posted:

I bought it, it just shipped. It's only two tracks so it's probably 45 on each side.

I bought the MP3, but didn't realize it's only the A side online. I guess I'll have to buy the vinyl as well...

Surus is eating my paychecks these days

• Locked thread