Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

I don't use slide film because no one processes it locally and I'm Nashville which is a decent sized city.

If everything else fails, take it to a Wal-Mart, they send out processes they don't do in-house. Just mark "E-6 PROCESS ONLY" in the special instructions box. Depending on the breaks, it may cost between $2 and $6 and it will probably take 2-3 weeks, but it's still cheaper than mailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

eggsovereasy posted:

I don't use slide film because no one processes it locally and I'm Nashville which is a decent sized city. No one does black and white either, but it's easy to do at home. Plenty of places to do C-41 though.

Yeah, you can, but that is far far too much work for the average person, and you cannot support a process like large-scale emulsion production/coating on a hobbyist market.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

While it's sad that Kodak is giving up on slide film completely... As people have said it's not a massive loss compared to the already gone Kodachrome.

I will be very sorry when Velvia goes away though. It's by far my favourite E6 process film.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Oh that sucks! E100VS in autumn just always looked beautiful. I like Fujichrome but the E100 series from Kodak was really great. Time to invest!

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Got this in the mail today! So excited to play with it :D

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 2, 2012

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

PushingKingston posted:

You know, I don't think I'll miss the Ektachrome series. I could never find it and when I did my photos were lackluster at best.

Pretty sure he shoots Portra and Fuji slides.

I shoot everything, although not very much B&W. The E100 series was, I think, really great. See here and here, or my stuff here. I just ordered some more rolls and I'm hoping it'll be enough to last me through the fall. I was just looking at this film yesterday and it was about $10 cheaper for a 5-pack. :mad:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Frankly the niche that E6 film represented, sharpness and specific repeatable color rendition, has long been taken over by digital.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I wouldn't even single it out to E6. Film as a whole has been taken over by digital.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
yeah because there isn't a 220 page thread about people still shooting film or anything

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

I wouldn't even single it out to E6. Film as a whole has been taken over by digital.

Negative film still has a considerable latitude advantage over digital capture.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I wonder how long until C41 is declared dead by all the major film makers (kodak and Fuji?)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Santa is strapped posted:

I wonder how long until C41 is declared dead by all the major film makers (kodak and Fuji?)

A long rear end time. There is still a huge market for 35mm disposable cameras especially outside of the first world.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, however, with all of the technological leapfrogging going on that market is dwindling as well.

E-6 35mm doesn't make a whole lot of sense compared to digital, but medium and large format chromes are breathtaking.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, however, with all of the technological leapfrogging going on that market is dwindling as well.

E-6 35mm doesn't make a whole lot of sense compared to digital, but medium and large format chromes are breathtaking.

i think i'm going to buy some 8x10 velvia. please kill me

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Larger format slides do look cool but aren't the commercial go to like they used to be. I think gimmicky film like Velvia will be around longer than the more straight laced emulsions.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Have any of you had any luck pulling Tri-X to ISO200? I have a bunch of rolls right now and 400 just seems a tad too fast for daylight use on my older bodies.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Augmented Dickey posted:

Have any of you had any luck pulling Tri-X to ISO200? I have a bunch of rolls right now and 400 just seems a tad too fast for daylight use on my older bodies.

i've never had a problem shooting 400 in daylight. unless your shutter speed only goes up to 125 or something

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

i've never had a problem shooting 400 in daylight. unless your shutter speed only goes up to 125 or something

My OM-1 nominally goes up to 1000, but the higher speeds seem a bit suspicious. I generally try to stay around 125-250 which seems to give more predictable exposures.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Pulling Tri-x looks good. Do it for the tonality.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
edit-- ^^^ welp

Augmented Dickey posted:

My OM-1 nominally goes up to 1000, but the higher speeds seem a bit suspicious. I generally try to stay around 125-250 which seems to give more predictable exposures.

From what I've read, pulling Tri-X to 200 gives a really flat and gray image, but it can be good for compensating for really high-contrast situations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

edit-- ^^^ welp

From what I've read, pulling Tri-X to 200 gives a really flat and gray image, but it can be good for compensating for really high-contrast situations.

Yeah, don't pull in low contrast lighting situations.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
i shot some film yesterday in my schools darkroom. handheld just using the safelight. i am pretty stoked how it came out, who else here has darkroom photos?

photo in the dark room by OjaiYoda, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OjaiYoda posted:

i shot some film yesterday in my schools darkroom. handheld just using the safelight. i am pretty stoked how it came out, who else here has darkroom photos?

photo in the dark room by OjaiYoda, on Flickr

...does your school do darkroom stuff naked?

I mean, granted, I like to do wet printing in just my underwear because it gets pretty hot in my bathroom, but nobody else is around at the time.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Any recommendations on film or other supplies I could add to the order from Macodirect?

If you haven't ordered yet you should check out their B&W film. Maco sells rebranded Agfa-Gevaert films that are still made for industrial and military applications under the Rollei brand. Really cheap too. €3 for a roll of IR 400 iso film. Rebranded Agfa Aviphotpan 200 (panchromatic) as "Superpan 200" also for about €3. Lots of unique films for low prices.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

QPZIL posted:

...does your school do darkroom stuff naked?

I mean, granted, I like to do wet printing in just my underwear because it gets pretty hot in my bathroom, but nobody else is around at the time.
i guess its less of a darkroom and more like a 15 minutes in heaven that just happens to have chemicals and photo hardware

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

NihilismNow posted:

If you haven't ordered yet you should check out their B&W film. Maco sells rebranded Agfa-Gevaert films that are still made for industrial and military applications under the Rollei brand. Really cheap too. €3 for a roll of IR 400 iso film. Rebranded Agfa Aviphotpan 200 (panchromatic) as "Superpan 200" also for about €3. Lots of unique films for low prices.
I haven't ordered yet, so your advice is most welcome. I love unusual film, thanks for the suggestions!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I finally took the plunge and got everything to develop black and white film. I used Tri-X 400 developed in HC110 at 1+49 for 8 minutes, agitation first 30 seconds and 10 seconds every minute after. I think next time I'm going to agitate a bit more frequently as the negatives came out fairly flat.

Here's a couple shots I liked. These were scanned by shooting them backlit with a GH2 + manual old macro lens with adapter, and then inverted and touched up in lightroom... I need to get a real scanner :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Flat negs are good. You can always add contrast later.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Whoever sent me a roll of Portra 160t a few months back: I used it, and had what I thought were some pretty cool pictures, but I dropped my tlr and broke it. This is the only in-focus shot from the roll:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Mysticp sent me a roll of 160t / 120, perhaps that was who sent you yours?

Last night I developed a roll of Kodak Technical Pan 25 that was of unknown age, though I'm guessing around 20-25 years old based on the other film it came with from an ebay seller. I use Ilfosol 3, which doesn't have an entry for Tech Pan 25 on the Massive Dev Chart and I couldn't find any instructions with my google-fu, other than one mention in a year-old Flickr discussion thread that somebody had done it and had been disappointed at the high contrast. I went with 7:30, agitate 5 seconds every 30; how would I know if I over- or under-developed it?
I'm pretty sure I overexposed most of the roll, through a combination of user error and the camera - my Minolta X-700 has a damaged aperture-sensor, it doesn't always follow the aperture ring on the lens when I open a lens wider than f/8. And the slowest ISO film its meter can be set for is ISO 50, so I shot one stop slower shutter or wider aperture than it told me to. And, yeah, user error, like I said.

Kodak Tech Pan 25 1 037 by Execudork, on Flickr
I ran these through Lightroom, but mostly just made crop/rotate adjustments and minor tweaks to brightness/contrast/blacks.

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman

I quite enjoy the sky in this one

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Alright so I overcranked my film, snapping it right out of the roll and losing a month's worth if photos after opening it and finding the broken mess.

Idiot tax.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Miko posted:

Alright so I overcranked my film, snapping it right out of the roll and losing a month's worth if photos after opening it and finding the broken mess.

Idiot tax.

Did you know you overcranked it when it happened? If you hadn't opened it, you could have opened it under the bedcovers and stuffed the film back in the cannister to save it.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

Miko posted:

Idiot tax.

This happened while I was at a party once. I let my drunk friend use my camera and she over-wound it.

I went into a dark bathroom, stuffed a towel under the doorcrack, and pulled the film out. Luckily I had a completely opaque film canister on me to keep the film in. When it came time to developing, I used a changing bag to transfer the film from the canister to the reel. Only a handful of pictures had light damage.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Crosspost from SAD

Tri-X through my OM-1. I think I'm finally figuring out how to properly use b&w filters.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Augmented Dickey posted:

:swoon:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Augmented Dickey posted:

Crosspost from SAD

Tri-X through my OM-1. I think I'm finally figuring out how to properly use b&w filters.

These are terrific.

I see lots of great pictures with Tri-X, but I just can't get anything good out of it.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

Crosspost from SAD

What kind of filters did you use on these photo's? This is the effect i'm going for (but not getting).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NihilismNow posted:

What kind of filters did you use on these photo's? This is the effect i'm going for (but not getting).

Probably a deep yellow or a light red filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Just deep yellow. I think the skies look extra dramatic due to the shots being underexposed a bit.

eggsovereasy posted:

These are terrific.

I see lots of great pictures with Tri-X, but I just can't get anything good out of it.

Thanks!

What developer are you using? I've had the best luck with HC-110 and 30-second agitation intervals.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 8, 2012