Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Spatule posted:

It's closer to a hatch than a proper wagon from what I gathered.

Is the V40 on the same platform as the S40, Focus, Mazda3? Sure looks like a Swedish Mazda3 to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

davebo posted:

When I said it wouldn't be like a V8, I was referring to Keyser's desire for a Prius to "rumble" like a big V8. Badass performance is all well and good but Keyser wants the sound. I still say lightning and thunder is a good alternative, and if they want to implement some speaker system for all EV's so blind pedestrians can hear, you've got the thunder and just add some electric noises like your car is one big Tesla coil.

Yeah, you'd never get sound like an ICE out of an electric motor. Noise equals wasted energy and electrics are simply too efficient. Personally, I like the new turbine-like whine you can hear in the cabin under full acceleration, but it's not particularly loud on the outside.

I think thunder could be a good "powerful electric motor" sound, especially the whipcrack+lightning sound a lot of special effects guys love. Do a low rolling thunder for lower revs, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MetaJew posted:

Is the V40 on the same platform as the S40, Focus, Mazda3? Sure looks like a Swedish Mazda3 to me.

I believe it's a newer variant of that platform that is more Volvoized. There's no tech tie-in anymore so the Volvo, Mazda and Focus will continue to diverge.

The most apt comparison is Swedish Golf, I think.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I too judge a car's appearance by photos of it heavily camouflaged. And it's the 599 replacement, not new California.

I told you that was a real back end. It sucks. The side profile is lovely though.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

A5H posted:

I told you that was a real back end. It sucks. The side profile is lovely though.

It looks good, it's a homage to a 250 gto or something. If you don't like it you can, uh, not buy it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ppp posted:

It looks good, it's a homage to a 250 gto or something. If you don't like it you can, uh, not buy it?

So I can only criticize a design if I can afford a quarter of a million quid eh? Thanks man.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

A5H posted:

So I can only criticize a design if I can afford a quarter of a million quid eh? Thanks man.

No you can't criticize a design because you post stance scenesters every day :P

Nah I'm just joshin' you. It definitely looks like the car is wearing a thong but I don't mind since it is a pretty outrageous car to begin with. My problem is still Ferrari's new mazda smiley face grille.

Back to the Volvo though, does anyone feel like the C30 would have been a bigger success if it hadn't been driven by everyone's least favorite vampire douchebag in that douchebag vampire movie? Maybe if someone stuck some wagons and hatchbacks in a Transformers movie we'd actually get some released stateside.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The issue with the C30 is that it's not really that good. I like Volvos and I test drove one when I was looking most recently, and the GTI destroys it in pretty much every metric other than "Is Made By Swedish Company"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

No you can't criticize a design because you post stance scenesters every day :P

Nah I'm just joshin' you. It definitely looks like the car is wearing a thong but I don't mind since it is a pretty outrageous car to begin with. My problem is still Ferrari's new mazda smiley face grille.

Back to the Volvo though, does anyone feel like the C30 would have been a bigger success if it hadn't been driven by everyone's least favorite vampire douchebag in that douchebag vampire movie? Maybe if someone stuck some wagons and hatchbacks in a Transformers movie we'd actually get some released stateside.

I don't know anything about this vampire business because I don't watch movies or read books aimed children.

The C30 would have been a bigger success if it was an Impala or an F150. However what it was actually a 2 door hatchback that cost $30k+ and only came with 1 turbo engine. The pool of people who want a car like than and have $30k to spend is exceedingly small.

I just saw an interview at the Detroit Auto show with Volvo's head honcho and basically the new S60 is going to replace the C30 and S40.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, you'd never get sound like an ICE out of an electric motor. Noise equals wasted energy and electrics are simply too efficient. Personally, I like the new turbine-like whine you can hear in the cabin under full acceleration, but it's not particularly loud on the outside.

I think thunder could be a good "powerful electric motor" sound, especially the whipcrack+lightning sound a lot of special effects guys love. Do a low rolling thunder for lower revs, too.

You could make all sorts of vehicle sounds with dedicated speakers. Hell, we already have fake interior engine noise in the new M5, why not a Prius outfitted with outward facing 1500 watt 15 inch engine noise subwoofers that rumble at 130db?

I guarantee that this kind of stupid poo poo is coming as people will always demand new ways to be obnoxious. :psypop:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know anything about this vampire business because I don't watch movies or read books aimed children.

I would just like to defend myself that I didn't watch Twilight until a few months ago and it was because goons told me the rifftrax for it was one of the funnier ones, and it was. The fact that the guy drove a C30 that they noticeably had to speed up the film footage to make it look like he was driving it fast was just a bonus, and the failed attempt at doing a burnout 180 in a fwd car.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

A5H posted:

What is that towards the diffusor(s)?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

travisray2004 posted:

An iPhone dock?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

F1 style fog/brake light?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

F1 style fog/brake light?

Yea, for people who haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rQcF8gZRmY&feature=related

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Does today's announcement mean that GM will be selling lovely Peugeots in the US as Chevys instead of lovely Daewoos?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I really doubt it.

Guessing its more to do with developing diesel engines for the European market, I don't think anything that Peugeot or GM is doing there is exactly class leading right now.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Throatwarbler posted:

The C30 would have been a bigger success if it was an Impala or an F150. However what it was actually a 2 door hatchback that cost $30k+ and only came with 1 turbo engine. The pool of people who want a car like than and have $30k to spend is exceedingly small.

I just saw an interview at the Detroit Auto show with Volvo's head honcho and basically the new S60 is going to replace the C30 and S40.

My friend who is not a car guy was in the market for a hatchback recently. He asked me for recommendations on where to start, and I told him to look at the GTI, the A3, and the Mini. He ended up with a C30. He said "everyone else has a Rabbit a Mini or an Audi". Fair enough. A lot of people don't care if their car is the best. They use feelings and poo poo. Weird.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

niggerstink420 posted:

Does today's announcement mean that GM will be selling lovely Peugeots in the US as Chevys instead of lovely Daewoos?

Peugeots might be lovely, but at least they look cool.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive been seeing a Veloster on the way home from work for the last week or so and I gotta say its a very attractive looking car. I could never own one considering I dislike FWD, but an AWD turbo version would get me on board. a RWD would be a deposit-made-take-my-money situation but we all know that would never happen.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

thinking about it, of all the current models of all the brands out there (that are actually affordable, sort of sub £25k), the best looking ones are all French... how did that happen?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

An Audi TT raped an Eclipse.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Linedance posted:

Such a blatant TT ripoff it's not funny.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I love the double-bubble roof though, god drat.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

Raped? That Eclipse was asking for it, driving around with half its parts exposed:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Hey now, that front end is 95% indistinguishable from a Mazda 3. Don't you forget it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 1, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Such a blatant TT ripoff it's not funny.

a dead sexy ripoff...

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
The rear end end looks more like a 350Z to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They do look really, really good in the metal, though. That they don't have a mid-rear power train layout is a crime.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Raped? That Eclipse was asking for it, driving around with half its parts exposed:

With the hood and hatch looking like that, it makes the regular doors look as though they're opening the wrong way.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
A TT profile, with a Mazda 3 :D, the backend of the 350z roadster (that looks retarded), and Cayman hips.

I don't think I'd call it sexy, just, strange.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

oRenj9 posted:

A TT profile, with a Mazda 3 :D, the backend of the 350z roadster (that looks retarded), and Cayman hips.

I don't think I'd call it sexy, just, strange.

You forgot the McLaren SLR schnozz.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q_res posted:

You forgot the McLaren SLR schnozz.

I really don't think the nose looks anything like the SLR.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's not really what I meant, I was just referring to the little schnozz sticking out in the middle. It doesn't really resemble the SLR, but it's a pretty similar styling element that's reminiscent (to me) of the SLR.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Its just the (somewhat awkward looking) Peugeot front - standard across all their recent models

Even their hillarious Mitsubishi rebadge SUV has a varient:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
It still lives, hopefully Mazda can stay alive long enough to let it reach maturity

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/mazda-design-breakthrough-may-give-rotary-new-life

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Brigdh posted:

It still lives, hopefully Mazda can stay alive long enough to let it reach maturity

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/mazda-design-breakthrough-may-give-rotary-new-life

quote:

“I can’t specify how we plan to address this problem,” the Mazda engineer says, “but the rotary’s spark plug is in a recessed position (below the housing surface), compared to that of a piston engine.

“This causes ignitability problems and increases fuel consumption. We’ve found a way to make dramatic improvements,” he says.

In June, AutoCar reported Mazda would introduce a laser-injection system to replace conventional spark plugs.

:stare:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

A5H posted:

Looks like a diagram of the female reproductive system.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

hedge posted:

Looks like a diagram of the female reproductive system.

I can't unsee it now. Thanks a lot...

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
When will the nanny state stop? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/business/us-rule-set-for-cameras-at-cars-rear.html