Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

oobey posted:

I don't think acknowledging the source of the theft counts as some sort of "get out of criticism free" card.

No, it just makes the criticism redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah I don't really care for this at all and would rather we discuss things only to do with the comic.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

greatn posted:

Could we not do this? I remember when the thread was full of complaining about Erfworld. If it isn't OOTS, go to the wrbcomics thread general or start a new thread.

Seriously, this. I know we're all a bunch of comic book nerds and telling us not to argue is pointless; but, please do it elsewhere for non-OotS stuff.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

terminal mehmet posted:

Seriously, this. I know we're all a bunch of comic book nerds and telling us not to argue is pointless; but, please do it elsewhere for non-OotS stuff.

HKR posted:

cool alignment debate guys

Okay. So, we're not allowed to talk about comics besides Order of the Stick, but we're not allowed to debate anything relating to alignment, religion, or overly debated plot points.

Hey guys, how about that Durkon? What a dwarf, am I right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Right now Durkon is definitely noticably present and doing things. Lord knows that wasn't always the case.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is Durkon naturally bald, or does he shave his head? If the latter, is it a cleric thing?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Right now Durkon is definitely noticably present and doing things. Lord knows that wasn't always the case.

How many times has Durkon not been noticeably present and then turned up to save the day?

I think it is many.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You know, just because somebody complains about you talking about a thing doesn't mean you need to stop. Unless the dude has a star next to his name, it is not really A Thing.

Edit: Not that we should have a sixteen page alignment debate, when the issue of Durkon's realness attribute is a hot topic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Durkon has been Girard's illusion all along

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Durkon is actually a time-travelling Belkar, using magic and items to pretend to be a dwarf. When he took his "last breath ever," it was actually after he entered into a time loop in order to save the other members of the Order of the Stick. "Durkon" will die, but not before revealing the truth to Belkar who will continue the loop. Afterwards, he'll be returned to his Halfling homeland, a redeemed hero.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ashcans posted:

Is Durkon naturally bald, or does he shave his head? If the latter, is it a cleric thing?

No he's bald (for forty years). http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0754.html

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Really I'm digging the Drakentooth is the statue theory. Consider this.

It's a easy ticket to immortality for starters. Spend most of your time turned to stone, have your cult turn you back once every few years to keep you in the loop and in emergencies too.

It should probably stop anyone from scrying on him, it should also stop spells like V's from affecting him too.

He loves illusions.

also I get the feeling he's not a big enough egomaniac to keep a statue of himself around for show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only downside if you gotta make a system shock each time, and Con isn't gonna be a high stat for illusionists.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well he's a Multiclassed Ranger/Illusionist, so he probably has some decent physical stats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

greatn posted:

The only downside if you gotta make a system shock each time, and Con isn't gonna be a high stat for illusionists.

I think that's only a thing in 2e, not 3.5.

Plus he's an epic character with millions of gold. He can afford a Belt of Magnificence +12, or take a feat to increase his con if its really an issue.

And he's part Dragon at least, which usually buffs con.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zore posted:

I think that's only a thing in 2e, not 3.5.

For flesh to stone? Yep.

From the d20 SRD

quote:

The subject, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert statue. If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. The creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch.

That last bit could be pretty relevant, as someone pointed out previously.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Wouldn't True Seeing show the statue's "true form" though?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

wdarkk posted:

Wouldn't True Seeing show the statue's "true form" though?

Nope, you truly are a stone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

greatn posted:

Could we not do this? I remember when the thread was full of complaining about Erfworld.
Why would someone complain about Erfworld? It's not like having it on GiantITP made OotS update slower. :psyduck:

EDIT Wasn't being creepy the point? The divide between "cute, somewhat uncanny-valley art style" and "horrors of war"?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 2, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Colon V posted:

Why would someone complain about Erfworld? It's not like having it on GiantITP made OotS update slower. :psyduck:

It was creepy and weird and was trying too hard to be seen as serious

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New Kickstarter update.

The magnets for the $10-14 pledges should start shipping after March 9, and he's mostly been working on the colouring book. That's about all the news.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Okay. So, we're not allowed to talk about comics besides Order of the Stick, but we're not allowed to debate anything relating to alignment, religion, or overly debated plot points.

Hey guys, how about that Durkon? What a dwarf, am I right?

We went over this a couple years back. Some folks have a giant stick up their rear end if you talk about any other web comic than OoTS in here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speaking of baldness: does Roy shave his noggin, or did he lose all his hair early?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Speedball posted:

Speaking of baldness: does Roy shave his noggin, or did he lose all his hair early?

Minor rear end spoiler from On the Origin of PCs: He decided to "beat heredity to the punch" and shaves it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

It's a easy ticket to immortality for starters. Spend most of your time turned to stone, have your cult turn you back once every few years to keep you in the loop and in emergencies too.

If your cult completely dies off, or gets killed off by a bunch of roving monsters or adventurers or something and you don't get un-stoned, you're hosed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rotinaj posted:

If your cult completely dies off, or gets killed off by a bunch of roving monsters or adventurers or something and you don't get un-stoned, you're hosed.
Contingency spell, casts Stone to Flesh every few years.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Colon V posted:

Contingency only lasts one day/caster level.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Idran posted:

Contingency only lasts one day/caster level.

Really, really epic caster!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon V posted:

Can you cast a secondary Contingency spell to cast your primary life-saving Contingency every X number of days?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JosephWongKS posted:

Can you cast a secondary Contingency spell to cast your primary life-saving Contingency every X number of days?
Each contingency spell can only fire once.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Each contingency spell can only fire once.

More than that, you can only have one contingency spell at once. If you cast another, it dispels the first automatically.

For reference for the people less familiar with the system; there's mechanics-speak in here, yeah, but it's better than nothing.

Actually, with the brief talk earlier about if system knowledge gives greater enjoyment of the comic, it might be a good idea to link SRD stuff whenever people talk about things like this, I think. For the sake of people that don't know D&D 3.5 but still read OotS and might be curious.

Idran fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 2, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Idran posted:

More than that, you can only have one contingency spell at once. If you cast another, it dispels the first automatically.

For reference for the people less familiar with the system; there's mechanics-speak in here, yeah, but it's better than nothing.

Actually, with the brief talk earlier about if system knowledge gives greater enjoyment of the comic, it might be a good idea to link SRD stuff whenever people talk about things like this, I think. For the sake of people that don't know D&D 3.5 but still read OotS and might be curious.

Unless you have Craft: Contingency of course! Then you can have as many as you have hitdice.

Not in the Core rules though, so I highly doubt anyone in the comic is actually going to use it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Can't an epic level caster just make an epic level version of either Contingency or Flesh to Stone to cover the issue?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Or, like ... Wish to be immortal?

oh god i said something really stupid didnt i

i can feel your stares

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sefer posted:

Can't an epic level caster just make an epic level version of either Contingency or Flesh to Stone to cover the issue?

Probably not a useful one without being an obscenely high level or chain gating Solars.

Epic Magic is sort of weird in that its totally loving useless, if you use it to create spells without blatantly abusing the mechanics, or the single most broken thing in the entire game.

Like, you can use it to create a shittier version of Fireball that does less damage and has less range, but costs you millions of gold and XP and takes months to research.

Or!

You can learn to use effects to negate the costs. Things like having people under you sacrifice a spell slot for the day with more power the higher the level of spell slot sacrificed. And since there is a ninth level spell called Gate which lets you summon and control things like Solars who have Ninth level spell slots, and they can summon more Solars to control you can get an insane chain pyramid scheme going that lets you make virtually any spell you want as there are literally an infinite number of Solars.

Rich probably isn't going to show off Chain-gating, and the few Epic spells we've seen have been very situational or just metamagic'd lower level spells, so I doubt we'll get anything too out there.

Edit: You could also Wish for immortality, but it would probably backfire pretty hard because that isn't one of the 'safe' options.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 2, 2012

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Nilbop posted:

That's a great way for your dick DM to mess with you.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Nilbop posted:

oh god i said something really stupid didnt i

i can feel your stares

That's like asking a genie to make you a sandwich.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
"*Poof*, you're a sandwich!"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Isn't there that old D&D urban legend about some attorney who played actually coming up with a perfect Wish for immortality, even fitting it into one sentence to fit within the spell's rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Isn't there that old D&D urban legend about some attorney who played actually coming up with a perfect Wish for immortality, even fitting it into one sentence to fit within the spell's rules?

I feel perfectly confident in saying there's no way to phrase something that a DM couldn't gently caress you over with, if only due the law of unintended consequences.

"Congratulations, your form is now immutable and everlasting, immune to all external manipulation. Gravity relinquishes it's dire hold on you, and from the perspective of those still in it's grasp you appear to fly off into space as the planet continues it's orbit around the sun."