Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It seems pretty clear that the sign is for the spot next to the red car?
Where I live (but maybe this is just a Minnesota thing), there are a lot of worn-out handicapped things on the pavement that don't actually indicate a handicapped spot, that they just didn't bother to paint over (often right next to a spot that is still handicapped). You need the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bioshuffle posted:

Actually, I take back what I said. As I was going through the rest of the pictures (It's not every day you come across one of these so I took tons of them), look what I found. Look towards the left part of the image.

It really doesn't. I probably would have parked in that slot if it's the last one visible. It's got what looks like a very faded and old handicapped symbol on the pavement, and then in another slot, closer to to the door, there's an actual handicapped sign. It'd be entirely reasonable to assume that the handicapped symbol on the pavement was just an old one and not currently in force, seeing as how there's a clearly marked one nearby

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BirdOfPlay posted:

Thanks for the "non-advice." :cheers: Luckily, he contacted me today about moving out, so the complicated eviction issue is behind me. I was only asking about the welfare (may have actually been unemployment if that's different) thing because, even with all this mess, I'd be fine settling with the guy for less than what's owed and was only checking to see if I had leverage. Here's to hoping I can avoid the fun of small claims (and getting a lawyer that can give me "real advice").

Hey, remember how he said he'd move out? He didn't and isn't returning my calls. :smith:

So, I talked with my rental agency and they say they don't have the power to evict and the lease doesn't enumerate it either. This means that I can though, right?

And yeah, I'll need an attorney if it comes to that, but the big question for me is do I have to give a 30 day notice of eviction or can it be for a shorter amount of time? I already have a document state that he'd be out in December, would that could as notice to evict (he signed it)? I ask cause I'm trying to rent out the room for March, but if he still "has" it for 30 days after, I can't rent it.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
As a matter of curiosity, it came up just now in the retail thread;

What's the situation with Facebook making posts automatically public, and bosses finding comments about them, leading to you being fired over it. What's the legality of this? Is there any issues here with privacy, or is it all above-board?

For reference, I'm in the UK, but looking for a response from really anywhere.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Hey, remember how he said he'd move out? He didn't and isn't returning my calls. :smith:

So, I talked with my rental agency and they say they don't have the power to evict and the lease doesn't enumerate it either. This means that I can though, right?

And yeah, I'll need an attorney if it comes to that, but the big question for me is do I have to give a 30 day notice of eviction or can it be for a shorter amount of time? I already have a document state that he'd be out in December, would that could as notice to evict (he signed it)? I ask cause I'm trying to rent out the room for March, but if he still "has" it for 30 days after, I can't rent it.

That's a question of your local law. If you're gonna hire an attorney anyway, ask her about it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Luquos posted:

What's the situation with Facebook making posts automatically public, and bosses finding comments about them, leading to you being fired over it. What's the legality of this? Is there any issues here with privacy, or is it all above-board?
Could you please articulate what specific issues of privacy you feel like there might be?

The firing itself would primarily be an issue of employment law (which is location-specific and not nearly as sexy as "privacy law").

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Luquos posted:

I don't know why you think anything you post on Facebook would be anything resembling "private"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
At work I made the mistake of (uneasily) accepting an order of "try it and if you like it then we'll bill you" printer toner from a company called Global Business Systems which after about 30 seconds of research is obviously a scam.

Based on what I've read they will ship the toner to my office with an invoice and follow up by shipping more stuff with more bills over time eventually getting to the point where they're trying to use a phony collection agency to harass us until they move on to the next sap. I'll return to sender anything I get but I doubt that will stop anything. I've already filed a complaint with the FCC and could complain to their local BBB but I can't imagine they'll do anything but put it in a file and sit on it forever. I don't think calling them and saying I don't want the toner will do anything but waste time.

My boss is pretty live and let live-and otherwise I alright at my job-so I told him and he was understanding. If it got too out of hand we also have a lawyer but I would rather not incur the expense if we don't have to.

EDIT: VVVV I guess I basically wanted to know if what I was doing/am doing seems like the right course of action or I shouldn't be doing something/am doing something that will make it so that we would end up having to pay these scammers.

EDIT2: I got a followup call to confirm the order and I told them to not ship anything and the other person just said ok and hung up. Then the guy I spoke to yesterday called and I let him know that anything he sends will be returned to sender and after a few minutes of trying he gave up so hopefully that's the end of the situation.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 29, 2012

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

The SituAsian posted:

At work I made the mistake of (uneasily) accepting an order of "try it and if you like it then we'll bill you" printer toner from a company called Global Business Systems which after about 30 seconds of research is obviously a scam.

Based on what I've read they will ship the toner to my office with an invoice and follow up by shipping more stuff with more bills over time eventually getting to the point where they're trying to use a phony collection agency to harass us until they move on to the next sap. I'll return to sender anything I get but I doubt that will stop anything. I've already filed a complaint with the FCC and could complain to their local BBB but I can't imagine they'll do anything but put it in a file and sit on it forever. I don't think calling them and saying I don't want the toner will do anything but waste time.

My boss is pretty live and let live-and otherwise I alright at my job-so I told him and he was understanding. If it got too out of hand we also have a lawyer but I would rather not incur the expense if we don't have to.

You didn't actually ask a question, but I think you're doing all the things someone should in that situation. Just refuse delivery, it will be sent back to the sender.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

EDIT: VVVV I guess I basically wanted to know if what I was doing/am doing seems like the right course of action or I shouldn't be doing something/am doing something that will make it so that we would end up having to pay these scammers.

File a complaint with the Postal Inspectors?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Luquos posted:

Learn how to use your privacy settings and don't publicly bitch about your boss.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Never mind, will re-post in income tax megathread.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

The SituAsian posted:

I've already filed a complaint with the FCC and could complain to their local BBB but I can't imagine they'll do anything but put it in a file and sit on it forever.

The BBB is a private organization that can't do anything to anyone except give a company an online rating. It's just a site, like other store review sites except they've managed to make people think they're some official agency.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

The BBB is a private organization that can't do anything to anyone except give a company an online rating. It's just a site, like other store review sites except they've managed to make people think they're some official agency.

Lol, taken straight from their FAQ

FAC posted:

Isn't the BBB part of the Government?
No.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The odds of a company getting a BBB complaint, making GBS threads themselves, and bending over backwards to appease you are nonzero, but they have no actual power.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Javid posted:

The odds of a company getting a BBB complaint, making GBS threads themselves, and bending over backwards to appease you are nonzero, but they have no actual power.
I think when the company is a toner scam company the odds are probably zero.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Cruseydr posted:

I think when the company is a toner scam company the odds are probably zero.

Perhaps checking with the BBB before you order toner, would alleviate some of this anxiety.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have a situation.

I live in Oregon. I moved into an apartment with a roommate six months ago. Both of our names were on the lease. A couple of months ago, the roommate decided he did not want to live here anymore, and I did not want him here anymore either as he was very bad about paying for things on time. Around the same time, a friend of mine came to me needing a place to stay and expressed an interest in being added to the lease to replace the roommate who was leaving.

She moved in. For one month, the three of us shared the apartment and we divided the rent that month up by thirds. It was understood that my original roommate would be moving out February 1st, allowing the new roommate to move into his room and take over, and that she would then be responsible for half of the rent and utilities, as well as a pet deposit for a cat she brought in with her. She applied to our landlords and we had the paperwork to remove the original roommate from the lease while adding her. Unknown to me, the other two roommates never signed it. I did.

The due date for February's rent rolls around. I find the new roommate has left me a money order for only 1/4 the amount of the rent. When I ask her where the rest is, she informed me that she made a "deal" with the old roommate where he would pay a fourth of the rent for February. He says he made no such deal, and I frankly don't think he would have anyway, especially since he had already moved out and that makes no sense. I end up having to shell out for 3/4 the rent myself to avoid a late fee because she says she cannot cover it. She now refuses to repay me, and is also refusing to pay her half of utilities, saying that she has no obligation to pay because she was never on the lease (and now is when I find out they never turned in that paperwork). I very nearly got in trouble with my landlords as this technically means I defaulted on the lease (unauthorized tenant), but they know and like me and they're backing me up as far as they can on this.

I've already gone about kicking her out and she's in the process of moving her things out. So a few questions...

Do I have any legal standing to reclaim this money ($250 total) in small claims court? The most "in writing" I have are IRC logs and text messages. Yeah, I realize how dumb this was in retrospect and I'm getting poo poo in writing in the future. But she was living here for two months, and it seems to me she has a (definitely ethical, but hopefully legal) obligation to pay.

What, legally, am I allowed to do with anything she tries to leave behind to store here? I found some information on what landlords can do with their tenant's abandoned property, but I am not a landlord and she was never really a tenant. Basically I would really like to be able to recoup my losses if she tries to use my balcony as a storage for her two bikes and I want to know if my rear end is covered as long as I tell her to get them out of here or I consider them abandoned.

Does she have any legal claim to the pet deposit? It was $165 and I am inclined to keep the full sum of it to compensate for part of what she owes me.

Reene fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 1, 2012

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What kind of lawyer should I be looking for to defend swim against an OSHA accusation and fining? Does anyone have experiences in dealing with OSHA. I'm assuming if OSHA finds my party at fault we can appeal it in court and fight it as a civil matter?

The situation: SWIM is being accused of firing an employee after he was being investigated by OSHA. He was framed. The employee had two weeks notice before they were to be fired. During these two weeks they complained to OSHA, told him they were the ones who complained to OSHA/DOH, and recorded his reaction claiming she recorded him saying he fired her because of the OSHA complaint. Whats worse is this person is a vindictive liar, took a day to return her key, and stole from the office sensitive information and money out of the cash drawer, but thats another matter.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kneel Before Zog posted:

What kind of lawyer should I be looking for to defend swim against an OSHA accusation and fining? Does anyone have experiences in dealing with OSHA. I'm assuming if OSHA finds my party at fault we can appeal it in court and fight it as a civil matter?

The situation: SWIM is being accused of firing an employee after he was being investigated by OSHA. He was framed. The employee had two weeks notice before they were to be fired. During these two weeks they complained to OSHA, told him they were the ones who complained to OSHA/DOH, and recorded his reaction claiming she recorded him saying he fired her because of the OSHA complaint. Whats worse is this person is a vindictive liar, took a day to return her key, and stole from the office sensitive information and money out of the cash drawer, but thats another matter.

What/who is "SWIM"? The employer?

Your second paragraph is unintelligible due to your weird use of pronouns.

In any case, an employer charged with OSHA violations would want a labor and employment attorney who represents employers and not employees.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SWIM is 'Someone Who Isn't Me'. It's just another way of asking about something for a 'friend'.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

entris posted:

Your second paragraph is unintelligible due to your weird use of pronouns.

I think it is like this:
1) Employer fires person, gives them 2 weeks
2) Person complains to OSHA
3) Person tells employer about the complaint to OSHA/DOH
4) Person records employer's reaction to a claim that the firing was due to the OSHA comlaint (and was recorded)
5) Also person allegedly is a vindictive liar, didn't return a key, and stole sensitive information and money.

In the end the issue is that they are claiming that they are being fired due to the OSHA complaint, which occurred after the firing.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cruseydr posted:

I think it is like this:
1) Employer fires person, gives them 2 weeks
2) Person complains to OSHA
3) Person tells employer about the complaint to OSHA/DOH
4) Person records employer's reaction to a claim that the firing was due to the OSHA comlaint (and was recorded)
5) Also person allegedly is a vindictive liar, didn't return a key, and stole sensitive information and money.

In the end the issue is that they are claiming that they are being fired due to the OSHA complaint, which occurred after the firing.
Yes this is exactly the case. OSHA is saying they have a recording of him saying 'I fired you because of the complaint' which he says isnt true. Who handles OSHAs legal proceedings? Do they have a legal team who takes you to court or do they just fine you and you have the option of going to court to appeal?

Edit: OSHA never came to investigate but the DoH did. This was sometime during those two weeks. SWIM during those two weeks fired her on the day when she brought in the Department of Health out of anger. She was baiting him and he took the bait. So basically she was already told she was fired, reported him in OSHA, they never came, reported him to DoH, who did come, and was then terminated.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 1, 2012

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The recording might be a violation of state law.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Incredulous Red posted:

The recording might be a violation of state law.

During the middle of the conversation she told him she was recording him.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kneel Before Zog posted:

During the middle of the conversation she told him she was recording him.

What state are we talking about?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

entris posted:

What state are we talking about?

Florida. Its a two party state. He didn't deny her recording him, she said it was for her 'own protection'. It was a lie to allow her to record him. Any sense of 'danger' is absolutely fabricated and lala land delusional.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Yes this is exactly the case. OSHA is saying they have a recording of him saying 'I fired you because of the complaint' which he says isnt true. Who handles OSHAs legal proceedings? Do they have a legal team who takes you to court or do they just fine you and you have the option of going to court to appeal?

Edit: OSHA never came to investigate but the DoH did. This was sometime during those two weeks. SWIM during those two weeks fired her on the day when she brought in the Department of Health out of anger. She was baiting him and he took the bait. So basically she was already told she was fired, reported him in OSHA, they never came, reported him to DoH, who did come, and was then terminated.
Disclaimer ahoy: I'm not your lawyer or your employer's, this isn't legal advice or meant as an offer of representation, and I am definitely not a lawyer in your jurisdiction. Okay, moving on.

Did the Department of Health come because of the OSHA complaint or did she file a separate complaint? And does the Florida DOH have any statute prohibiting retaliation against an employee who files a claim?

I will point out that you just admitted he fired her because she filed the claim, by the way. Sure, he may have given her two weeks' notice of her termination date, but he didn't *actually* terminate her at that point. He did terminate her the day the DOH showed up, which would look bad enough, but you went so far as to say he did it "out of anger," i.e., out of a desire to retaliate against her making the claim. Whether that's a legally problematic act of retaliation would depend on which agency she filed with, and if it's the Florida DOH, whether the protection Florida offers those who file claims with the DOH.

Mind you, those sorts of statutes also usually have language about the claim being made in good faith, which you allege was not the case in this situation. So that might help your employer if his lawyer can present credible evidence of bad faith.

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004
Quick question - my roommate hosts a weekly radio show for a local radio station where she's allowed to play basically whatever music she wants. She's now looking to start her own website where she can host the clips from her show, but isn't sure about the legal ramifications of re-broadcasting the music portions and I was wondering if someone could clue me in. She's also wondering what would be required if she wanted to start doing her own podcast separate from the radio station and play music there too. A guy who works at the station mentioned something to her about a "blanket residual," but my googling hasn't turned up anything useful about that. We're in California, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Quick question - my roommate hosts a weekly radio show for a local radio station where she's allowed to play basically whatever music she wants. She's now looking to start her own website where she can host the clips from her show, but isn't sure about the legal ramifications of re-broadcasting the music portions and I was wondering if someone could clue me in. She's also wondering what would be required if she wanted to start doing her own podcast separate from the radio station and play music there too. A guy who works at the station mentioned something to her about a "blanket residual," but my googling hasn't turned up anything useful about that. We're in California, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

It'd probably depend pretty highly on the contract she has with the radio station

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

It'd probably depend pretty highly on the contract she has with the radio station

As far as I know she's free to use anything she does for the station for her own purposes and isn't restricted from doing any form of broadcasting/performance on her own time. I don't know if there's any language in her contract about royalties for the music she plays or how that even works honestly, but I'll see what I can find out.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ibntumart posted:

Did the Department of Health come because of the OSHA complaint or did she file a separate complaint? And does the Florida DOH have any statute prohibiting retaliation against an employee who files a claim?

and if it's the Florida DOH, whether the protection Florida offers those who file claims with the DOH.

Mind you, those sorts of statutes also usually have language about the claim being made in good faith, which you allege was not the case in this situation. So that might help your employer if his lawyer can present credible evidence of bad faith.

Separate complaint.
I wish I knew the answer, I know OSHA obviously does but the DOH may or may not.

Osha never came to investigate the office for her OSHA complaint. Now they show up because of the alleged firing of the OSHA complaint. And there was no problems with the DOH investigation, they didn't find or do anything either.

One of the people working there is saying she knew about them planning to use OSHA against him but thats just hearsay, right?

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

edit

Hyperbolic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 23, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
You need a lawyer.
I started with this list- https://www.eff.org/issues/file-sharing/subpoena-defense

Out of curiosity which district did they file in this time?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Separate complaint.
I wish I knew the answer, I know OSHA obviously does but the DOH may or may not.

Osha never came to investigate the office for her OSHA complaint. Now they show up because of the alleged firing of the OSHA complaint. And there was no problems with the DOH investigation, they didn't find or do anything either.

Generally speaking, that doesn't matter when it comes to retaliation. What's relevant is that an employee filed a complaint, the employer found out that the employee filed the complaint, and the employer disciplined or terminated the employee because of the complaint.

Really, though, your employer should talk with a defense-side employment law attorney.

Hyperbolic posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the case will get dismissed like in so many of the others turning up in my searches, but I'm at a loss of how to achieve this. Can anyone set my mind at ease?

edit: I don't even know if I can request the court documents they filed without revealing John Doe information, this sucks.

Besides the EFF site, you might also want to check out this one: http://fightcopyrighttrolls.com/

I'll second the advice to consult a lawyer. There is such a thing as an anonymous Motion to Quash, but that's something you really want to talk to a lawyer about.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Re: hosting the clips - I'd be a little surprised if the station's agreement with ASCAP (or whoever) permits rebroadcast of the music by a third party. Maybe there's an exception for promotional use, which that might be.

The station should have someone (maybe a lawyer, maybe not) who deals with licensing. She should have a sit-down with that person.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Schitzo posted:

Re: hosting the clips - I'd be a little surprised if the station's agreement with ASCAP (or whoever) permits rebroadcast of the music by a third party. Maybe there's an exception for promotional use, which that might be.

The station should have someone (maybe a lawyer, maybe not) who deals with licensing. She should have a sit-down with that person.

ASCAP actually doesn't deal with digital rights. It's SoundExchange for digital public performance (streaming/webcasting) and the rightsholder directly for digital download (podcasts/downloads), plus Harry Fox for the composition reproduction rights for download situations. http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide would be worth taking a look at to get an idea of exactly what she would need to do - it won't be simple to do it legally.

Because this is California, there's also the potential issue of rights of publicity for recordings of a voice - I think California retains those in the person, but who knows if there's some weird contract clause that means the station has ROP to her voice in connection with the shows she does.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Kalman posted:

ASCAP actually doesn't deal with digital rights. It's SoundExchange for digital public performance (streaming/webcasting) and the rightsholder directly for digital download (podcasts/downloads), plus Harry Fox for the composition reproduction rights for download situations. http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide would be worth taking a look at to get an idea of exactly what she would need to do - it won't be simple to do it legally.

Because this is California, there's also the potential issue of rights of publicity for recordings of a voice - I think California retains those in the person, but who knows if there's some weird contract clause that means the station has ROP to her voice in connection with the shows she does.

Thanks for the reply - I'm in Canada, so I was winging it from a 10-second google. OP, listen to this guy.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

So I've got a question about divorce. Long story short, I am getting one. I am filing in Florida and have all the forms for Simplified Dissolution, but I need to know if I need a lawyer or not. The forms themselves are very simple, as is our case. We have been separated for a few years, are on amicable terms, have no children, and have no possessions which need to be divvied up.

The only problem I'm having is that on the forms for Simplified Dissolution, it says we both have to be present for a hearing. He lives in New York. It would cost about $400 (or more) to fly him down for a simple hearing, in addition to the $500 or so it is going to cost to file all of this. We are splitting costs on this whole thing, so I need to know if there is a way around this. Would we be able to hire a lawyer to represent one or both of us in court? Would this even be a cheaper option? How much would a lawyer even want for something like that?

Any guidance on this would be super appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewaablah
Sep 8, 2004

Stay down bitch
I've been trying to research this issue on my own, but there really isn't anything out there about it.

I opened a store credit card for a large purchase. It had 2 promotions going on. 6 months 0% APR on purchases $1999 & lower and 12 months 0% APR on $2000 and higher. The purchase was for $2200. The company split the purchase into a $400 deposit and then a remaining balance charge. Are they within their rights to do this? I now do not qualify for the 12 months because the card sees it as 2 purchases, not 1. Once they took the deposit they said the order could not be changed (it was a special order couch that is still being built).