Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
*sigh* Someone's just going to have to pick up GC as an animated series so we can resolve this matter once and for all.

(I always read them without any accents because the dialogue didn't sound particularly British, but that's more me projecting and less of a need to have every line read like COR BLIMEY I TOOK THE TUBE TO THE CHIP SHOP AND THEN BACK TO ME FLAT FOR A CUPPA, BOXBOT IS A BLOODY WANKER)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

(I always read them without any accents because the dialogue didn't sound particularly British, but that's more me projecting and less of a need to have every line read like COR BLIMEY I TOOK THE TUBE TO THE CHIP SHOP AND THEN BACK TO ME FLAT FOR A CUPPA, BOXBOT IS A BLOODY WANKER)

John Allison Presents: Gunnerkrigg Court.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kismet posted:

John Allison Presents: Gunnerkrigg Court.

I'd read this :allears:

Tom's done multiple guest comics for Allison, maybe it's time we saw the reverse!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Ironic Twist posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to avoid that.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tea-san posted:

I think not having them have stereotypical "British" accents opens the comic up to more readers.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Tea-san posted:

Kuros posted:

I think not having them have stereotypical "British" accents opens the comic up to more readers.

I hadn't actually thought of this before, but the setting/dialect as a whole is kind of between all collisions to me, I didn't really attribute it to any origin until the second time the general location of the court came up in the comic.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I'm surprised no one asked...

Who would voice Red?

And don't say Christine Cavanaugh, she's retired.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Most good fiction don't have accents in the prose, unless the accent is really thick or out of place, as it generally detracts from the story and makes it seem like you are trying way too hard. I know if I am reading a story and the characters start speaking that way, it seems like the dialogue equivalent of having all French characters wear berets, having onions round their necks and riding bicycles while singing "Alouette" . Borderline offensive and forced.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Dodgeball posted:

I'm surprised no one asked...

Who would voice Red?

And don't say Christine Cavanaugh, she's retired.

John Cleese.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
:f5: Can't wait to see what tomorrow's comic will be. I know it will be a cliff hanger but I'm eager to hear what Donald has to say.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tea-san posted:

Coyote is an interesting one, but if you would like to hear what annie sounds like, take a look at this:

http://youtu.be/w5bm6IBcKjI

My super cool friend My2k is working on it. The audio is a pitch shifted clip from an interview with Kate Rusby, who I always imagined sounded like Surma and Annie. Annie less so, since she lived away from most people since she was born, but it's difficult to explain that her accent isn't just the generic "english" accent people think of. It's more of a Barnsley accent.

Edit: Clearly, it's a younger Annie!

I love that she brushes her hair back, a nice little touch that makes for interesting animation. :3:
I look forward to seeing whatever that turns into.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Prison Warden posted:

I like to imagine Kat sounds like a female version of these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goTk960CKYk

I do the same thing except for the female part

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I thought Tom said once that Annie's accent was basically the same as Kate Rusby's, though, since a lot of Gunnerkrigg was inspired by her music.

When you mentioned the name I looked her up, immediately found a song "Sir Eglamore" and was like 'welp, that makes sense'.

Then I found a video of an interview with her and started watching, listening to the voice. I was like 'I guess this is sort of better'. Then I realized that the voice used in the above video, the one I criticized as not feeling right, was taken directly from this interview and was like 'welp, now I'm a hypocrite. :colbert:'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkjrgS_lKY
It's at :57-1:05.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TOAST7312 posted:

When you mentioned the name I looked her up, immediately found a song "Sir Eglamore" and was like 'welp, that makes sense'.

Then I found a video of an interview with her and started watching, listening to the voice. I was like 'I guess this is sort of better'. Then I realized that the voice used in the above video, the one I criticized as not feeling right, was taken directly from this interview and was like 'welp, now I'm a hypocrite. :colbert:'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkjrgS_lKY
It's at :57-1:05.

Wow. I really, really like her music.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

The Walker posted:

Wow. I really, really like her music.

Listen to the song "Awkward Annie".
When the lyrics "I will die if you don't come near me" came up I :gbsmith:'d.

2-SECOND EDIT: The cover art showed in the beginning of this video looks suspiciously

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TOAST7312 posted:

Listen to the song "Awkward Annie".
When the lyrics "I will die if you don't come near me" came up I :gbsmith:'d.

2-SECOND EDIT: The cover art showed in the beginning of this video looks suspiciously

Mr. Slidell. If the kinda :smith: way I'm interpreting this song is how GC progresses and ends, I'm going to be a little cross with you.

VVV Annie ignores all the attempts to connect to her and in the end walks away, leaving an emotional ruin behind her. Obviously, that first bit has already been avoided but still. :ohdear:

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 2, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

1stGear posted:

Mr. Slidell. If the kinda :smith: way I'm interpreting this song is how GC progresses and ends, I'm going to be a little cross with you.

Not sure if I get how you're interpreting it. Call me dense.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Awkward Annie is from 2007 (and is the title track for an absolutely wonderful album). Gunnerkrigg Court started in 2005. So it's just a (somewhat interesting) coincidence.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Oh Annie :ohdear:

Stop that right now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If Annie winds herself up any tighter then some internal springs are going to break.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Given that it's no longer showing up in the pages I think it's safe to say that the big crack behind her was supposed to be a crack in her calm composure.

Emotional distress aside, I still laughed at the last panel. :3:

Good, he didn't notice.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 2, 2012

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Wow, panel 5 is just amazingly expressive. It's the perfect mix of anger, sadness, and embarrassment.

Then the last panel is an awesomely minimalist glare to counteract it. I love this comic.:3:

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 2, 2012

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Poor Annie. She's trying so hard to maintain Carver mode but Surma mode is pretty much ready to burst. I think Donald is just waiting to let Annie let the rage out before he tries to calm her down.

Also Tom, I got to say that your ability to convey so much emotion and fluidity in your art is great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hopefully this doesn't end with someone getting 3rd degree burns.

Also on voiceactor chat, Jones has to be voiced by Gillian Anderson. :colbert:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tea-san posted:

Despite this, hearing Annie as American in the fan-project just flat-out doesn't work.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Personally I've always imagined Annie sounding exactly like Margret Thatcher. Now my immersion is ruined.

Also, today's page is quite brilliant.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wow, it seems like her emotional side and her detached side are in a pretty fierce conflict right now.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Goddamn this page, goddamn. Good job.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Goddrat, Annie. BREATHE.

Like a jack-in-the-box with an IED inside.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh man, inhaling water like that due to emotions always leads to a coughing fit. It's embarrassing and it sucks. Never seen it depicted in a webcomic before.

I also love that her narration boxes are now actively conflicting with her emotional state. Such a good page.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 2, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Incredibly well done. I do get the feeling the next few weeks of Gunnerkrigg are going to be pretty tough on me :ohdear:

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
The way Annie's hair gets more and more disorderly as she gets more frustrated with herself is a nice touch, like it represents a show of break in her composure.

I'm guessing she's going to have a breakdown at some point in the chapter.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

As bad as it is to see her break down like that, it's comforting to see that her dad's call didn't cause her to completely revert back to an emotionless state.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

Azruelli posted:

The way Annie's hair gets more and more disorderly as she gets more frustrated with herself is a nice touch, like it represents a show of break in her composure.

I'm guessing she's going to have a breakdown at some point in the chapter.

Sometimes you need to breakdown in order to build something better for the future. It'll be rough, but Annie has only gotten better for anything she's been put through in the long run.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel bad for laughing at this page, but all of her facial expressions after the third panel are so hilarious.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 2, 2012

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Oh no, Annie has a drinking problem.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Elftor posted:

Oh no, Annie has a drinking problem.

Laughed entirely too hard at this.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

@gunnerkrigg on Twitter posted:

When some dudes look at pages like my current one, all they can see is a girl choking on a dick. It's like a mental deficiency I guess.

A deficiency that compels them to email me panels from the page edited to show that very scenario with "sorry" in the subject line.

Why. Why are people so horrible?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
My favorite part of that is how they assume the artist would want to look at/care about that poo poo.

"Wow, you really brought a whole new interpretation to my work!"

E: or people think it's funny when it's just hacky and disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Robo Pope posted:

Why. Why are people so horrible?

The worst part is that we don't have a ChibiSoma equivalent for this latest episode of the Internet leaking on GC.

Wait, no, the worst part is when somebody photoshopped a dick in the mouth of a 14-year old girl.