Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Almost an hour without a trollpost? Unsat bros, unsat.

Here's my rehabbed, used EBDT. He missing a tusk because he left it embedded in some pussy bronzeback or some poo poo. :hellyeah:

Edit: removing dead pic links

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Fyrbrand posted:

Almost an hour without a trollpost? Unsat bros, unsat.

Here's my rehabbed, used EBDT. He missing a tusk because he left it embedded in some pussy bronzeback or some poo poo. :hellyeah:

A thing of wonder!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Im thinking DJ is probably a must-have for scavvy. And a skarlock.

Yeah, yes to both. I'm honing in on my final 50 point list for him and it'll probably look very similar to this:

Lord Exhumator Scaverous (*5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
* Malice (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Cephalyx Overlords (4pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Darragh Wrathe (4pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

TK + Drag is loving legit.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Game 2 was Scavvy vs pStryker, stryker feated and jammed forgeguard w murdoch into my face. None of my poo poo could touch their armor 28, so I basically had to jam with a few bloodgorgers and re-jig my entire army.
Just curious where the 28 is from. Base 16, +2 for def line or whatever, +3 for AS, +5 for feat, is 26?

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
Hey, fellow trollbloods, how do you get your skin tone like that? Is there some guide to it that I can look up while I paint trolls on my Spring Break.... Why yes! I am that poor, why do you ask? :v:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Hey, fellow trollbloods, how do you get your skin tone like that? Is there some guide to it that I can look up while I paint trolls on my Spring Break.... Why yes! I am that poor, why do you ask? :v:

P3 trollblood base is a wonderful thing. I usually base it with that, then wash with GW asurmen blue wash, redo the basecoat on most areas with thinned out base, mix trollblood highlight with that 50/50 and highlight it with that, then do another coat of pure trollblood highlight on top of that.

It's quick and easy, and fun to do on big trolls.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.

Willeh posted:

P3 trollblood base is a wonderful thing. I usually base it with that, then wash with GW asurmen blue wash, redo the basecoat on most areas with thinned out base, mix trollblood highlight with that 50/50 and highlight it with that, then do another coat of pure trollblood highlight on top of that.

Awesome, thanks so much.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Well, got some more stuff through the mail, realised I've never played Cryx at 50pts. How does this list look? Thinking of dropping the seether and adding in full Blood Witches + UA to get the most out of the raider captain. OR MAYBE dropping the raider captain for a Warwitch Siren. What think you?

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast (*6pts)
* Harrower (10pts)
* Seether (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
General Gerlak Slaughterborn (3pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Well, some Cryx players here might disagree but I think Bloodgorgers are a waste. For that list I'd swap out the gorgers and the seether, and fit in a max unit of bane knights and a necrosurgeon with 2 points left over. Gorman's always a good choice if you've got him.

One thing to remember though is if you're playing a Skarre always run with the necro surgeon to negate the downside of your feat, and give you skarlock choice targets for ritual sacrifice.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Bloodgorgers just have the most awesome models. I don't think they are even that bad really, they are better with casters that can really power them up though, like pGaspy, or the denny's to debuff the enemy something fierce.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Bloodgorgers just have the most awesome models. I don't think they are even that bad really, they are better with casters that can really power them up though, like pGaspy, or the denny's to debuff the enemy something fierce.

Yeah, but why take okay troops that you can buff to good when you can take good troops that you buff up to great? They're not dirt cheap like McThralls and they're not banes or radiers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

The Aberrant posted:

Yeah, but why take okay troops that you can buff to good when you can take good troops that you buff up to great? They're not dirt cheap like McThralls and they're not banes or radiers.

Imo, its because your caster (may) be on a medium base and they help block LOS. Thats a lot of real estate they take up. Also 10.5 threat (against living) isnt bad at all, especially with overtake.

With small based casters, Id probably agree that thralls/knights are better, but Ive been mostly focusing on a couple med base dudes. Im also not a cryx player, Im just dabbling so far, so my advice isnt worth poo poo. Basically if Im not talking about skorne dont listen :unsmith:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
One of the key things to remember about this game involves statistics. 2d6, even more so 3d6, behave like bell curves. You have a higher probability to roll near the mean of the distribution. Why is this important regarding buffs?

In Warmachine/Hordes, it is usually preferably to take something a unit is good at, and make it amazing rather than buffing from average to good.

For example, compare Iron Flesh on something with Defense 10, 12, and 14. If you have the following attack statistics:

As you can see, in a matchup from RAT 7 to base defense 10, Iron Flesh only reduces the chance to hit by 26%. If you put Iron Flesh on the defense 14 unit, it reduces the chance to hit by 71%.

I don't know how this compares to Bloodgorgers, as I do not play Cryx. I just wanted to share some statistical knowledge. :science:

(The same idea holds for boosted attack roles, it just would take more time to create the tables.)

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

dexefiend posted:

One of the key things to remember about this game involves statistics. 2d6, even more so 3d6, behave like bell curves. You have a higher probability to roll near the mean of the distribution. Why is this important regarding buffs?

In Warmachine/Hordes, it is usually preferably to take something a unit is good at, and make it amazing rather than buffing from average to good.

For example, compare Iron Flesh on something with Defense 10, 12, and 14. If you have the following attack statistics:

As you can see, in a matchup from RAT 7 to base defense 10, Iron Flesh only reduces the chance to hit by 26%. If you put Iron Flesh on the defense 14 unit, it reduces the chance to hit by 71%.

I don't know how this compares to Bloodgorgers, as I do not play Cryx. I just wanted to share some statistical knowledge. :science:

(The same idea holds for boosted attack roles, it just would take more time to create the tables.)

There is a post like this somewhere in the old thread, I will look for it later.

Great advice to give to anyone new! Warmachine is about making awesome into sickawesome, not making up for disadvantages.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think part of competitive list-building is maximizing those types of "extreme" buff/debuff situations. I played against a Stryker1 list yesterday that had a wall of ARM 26 infantry, Ol Rowdy at ARM 28, etc.

Even with my lists ability to debuff armor to -4 relatively easily, those are such extreme ARM numbers that it would have been incredibly difficult to do any real damage that turn. Stryker feat is neat!

In a less swingy, but still interesting (to noobs) discussion, I put scavvys death ward (+2 arm) on my bloodgorgers, getting them up to ARM 17. That normally isnt anything particularly stellar, but when your opponent has a boatload of cygnar pow 10 guns (gunmages, nyss, whatevers), making them roll 8's to kill really bums them out.

I saved a bunch of blighted troll lives that day :911:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Not arguing that banes/raiders aren't better than bloodgorgers, or statistically more effective, or even more worthy of buffs. They are loving cool awesome and that's why some people like to play them. My favourites are raiders :v: and banes :v: :v: so it doesn't matter to me. Thanks for the maths there though, handy to know.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Willeh posted:

I do what Willeh does, though rather than using Trollblood highlight I mix in Frostbite, then more Frostbite and a little bit of MWH. Also white primer is a must on these dudes.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

stabbington posted:

Airbrush stuff

What'd you use to dilute the PP paints in order to run them on your airbrush?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Aberrant posted:

Well, some Cryx players here might disagree but I think Bloodgorgers are a waste. For that list I'd swap out the gorgers and the seether, and fit in a max unit of bane knights and a necrosurgeon with 2 points left over. Gorman's always a good choice if you've got him.

One thing to remember though is if you're playing a Skarre always run with the necro surgeon to negate the downside of your feat, and give you skarlock choice targets for ritual sacrifice.

Bloodgorgers are legit good, but Skaare doesn't need them for anything. She wants banes of both varieties, mechanithralls, 2xnecrosurgeons, a single heavy or multiple redundant lights like helldivers or stalkers, and then probably a unit of raiders also.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Acceptableloss posted:

What'd you use to dilute the PP paints in order to run them on your airbrush?

Some Golden Airbrush Medium that I picked up while I was at Dick Blick one day. Leaves things a bit glossy, but nothing that matte varnish can't solve. I have a bottle of Windex on deck to try out at some point, but I figured I'd have the easiest time starting off with something designed for the purpose.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

stabbington posted:

Some Golden Airbrush Medium that I picked up while I was at Dick Blick one day. Leaves things a bit glossy, but nothing that matte varnish can't solve. I have a bottle of Windex on deck to try out at some point, but I figured I'd have the easiest time starting off with something designed for the purpose.

Windex works pretty damned good! Give it a shot before buying the 9 dollar bottle of airbrush medium.

I guess if you are starting on a 90 dollar kit, you might as well spring for the medium. I would start on less expensive models to learn the basics.

Stabbington totally did pull it off though.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Windex works pretty damned good! Give it a shot before buying the 9 dollar bottle of airbrush medium.

I guess if you are starting on a 90 dollar kit, you might as well spring for the medium. I would start on less expensive models to learn the basics.

Stabbington totally did pull it off though.

Here's something about Windex: it has ammonia in it. At least the classic formula does and a lot of the cheap knock offs. I am using the "green" formula, which I think is ammonia-free.

Ammonia is gross as heck, I spent a few months mixing up glowy metal ions in ammonia, it makes me gag still. This is relevant because you are basically aerating the stuff and shooting it around your headspace, so you'll inhale it.

Buy a mask from an art store if you go with windex. Actually, this might go without saying, but I was doing a lot of work without a mask for awhile. It didn't make me feel light headed (but then again I spend a lot of time around paint fumes anyway...) but it feels safer.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

!amicable posted:

Buy a mask from an art store ...

I gotta say, I bought a mask, and I never used it...

UNTIL...

I was working on my 50+ model Trollbloods force and I was doing varnishing step for like 30+ of them. Even with my homemade spray booth filtering the air. I think I was inhaling a decent amount of varnish :smith:.

I got a sore throat, my nasal passages were really inflamed, and I started having a cough. I get sinusitis like once a year, and this was not my usual symptomology.

Lesson learned, now I use the damned mask. (Get the kind with the gate that exhausts your exhalation quicker.)

Speaking of TROLLBLOODS: ... oh I don't have any pictures on me.
I need to take an army shot, I should be at 63 painted models + 1 battle engine.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A good respirator mask costs less than most heavy warjacks or infantry boxes. If you're spraying anything, even just primer, GET ONE. Lung disease costs more than a mask.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012
Got those Rangers on order for my Kraye force, cheers for the historic advice 10 pages back guys.
I've written some brief games up of my eVayl experiences if anyone is interested in a read here.
Also, have a Typhon:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That highlighting is awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Tommmmm posted:

image!

That Typhon looks great! I wish I could do actual painting techniques.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

A good respirator mask costs less than most heavy warjacks or infantry boxes. If you're spraying anything, even just primer, GET ONE. Lung disease costs more than a mask.

You can get a legit 3M 6200-series with a couple of big fat filter cartridges for like $20 at home depot or stores like fred meyer. Don't go with one of those candy-rear end dust masks, they don't do nearly enough. Spend the money, get the real thing, save your lungs. People in this hobby are too cavalier with their health as it is.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So poking through my battle box, and it looks like a bunch of my Cinerators' swords are bent all caddywompus. How good is this plastic about bending? Will I need to heat it up some or would it be ok just sorta torking it back with my fingers. I've never handled PP plastics so I'm not sure how to proceed.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Hot water to make it more flexible, cold water to set it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
ARMY PHOTOGRAPHY! I had to use flash because I do not have a tripod or some fancy flash setup.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My paint-before-I-play strategy has been pretty effective with my trolls, but sometimes it leads to hilarity like the "HOLY poo poo" I just let out when I looked at the EBDT's card again and realized it has pathfinder. Jesus christ I like this beast waaaay more now, goddamn. :pwn:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

You will still swear every time you could get a caster kill if it had reach.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will still swear because I paint all this poo poo and never actually get to play with it. :negative:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

stabbington posted:

You will still swear every time you could get a caster kill if it had reach.

This is why you use Grim Angus, and perhaps Lannyssa Ryssyl.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Borka and Axers too. Also, the Earthborn is faster than it looks, since it has Elemental Communion. If you stack a couple of the movement buffs on top, that thing just goes hog wild.

If you want people to really hate you, take 2.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If the earthborn had reach it would be 12 points and called Mulg

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Troll colossus is basically going to be a 30 foot tall Earthborn that tried to eat a whole mountain

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Nah it's goona be Mulg's daddy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I want Hoarluk to feed it an entire orphanage plus a retirement community.

TROLLS ARE METAL.

• Locked thread