Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Although I hope Android stays around so manufacturers can have the freedom to ship cheap tablets with resistive screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure why Rastor didn't cross-post this. I found their discussion about Android tablets rather interesting, especially with respect to their thoughts about Windows 8.

"There's no Facebook app" is an interesting attack to make, since the iPad became a mega-hit without one until, uh, like two months ago.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I didn't cross-post it because they're rabidly anti-Android in that podcast and I didn't want to stir up poo poo and/or risk getting banned.

Really they're anti-Google; they spend several minutes mocking Eric Schmidt, several minutes basically bragging about how they mocked Andy Rubin to his face, talk about how Google only cares about advertising and doesn't do poo poo to advance Android tablets, etc.

Though I admit it does make for interesting listening.

I disagree that Windows 8 is going to crush Android tablets. Certainly not in the next year or so; Intel's mobile processors won't be good enough yet and Windows 8 on ARM won't have any apps. Part of how that particular matchup shakes out may depend on whether the rumored Jellybean Nexus tablet materializes and executes well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I think anyone who believes Windows 8 ARM tablets are going to go above even Playbook marketshare are deluded, let alone those who think they'll overtake Android. And the ones who think x86 Windows 8 tablets will are clinically insane.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Rastor posted:

Windows 8 on ARM won't have any apps
That's won't take long. I'm pretty sure of one of Microsoft's business principals involves driving dump trucks full of money to people in order to get what they want. They do it for dumb things like Call of Duty DLC exclusivity, and they'll do it to help drive app development too; maybe even give out tablets to developers like Blackberry. And if that doesn't work, they'll just develop it in house, they've got GFWL and XBox to help carry the load too. How long do you think it'll be before they're selling "play a game on XBOX and then continue on the go on your Windows 8 Tablet". I really think MS will do whatever it takes because like they said, they have to do what ever it takes to survive because it's all they've got unlike Google.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

McLarenF1 posted:

That's won't take long. I'm pretty sure of one of Microsoft's business principals involves driving dump trucks full of money to people in order to get what they want.

This is literally what they did with the XBox and, while they just fairly recently stopped losing money on them, their goal was to spend whatever it took to have a living room presence and it worked.

The problem here is that Win8 is making it look like Microsoft really has no loving clue what they're doing with tablets, and all the money in the world won't fix that.

e: Also giving tablets to developers probably won't happen unless Microsoft themselves make a tablet (or buys a tablet manufacturer), and even if that does happen it won't be any time soon.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2012

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Proteus4994 posted:

e: Also giving tablets to developers probably won't happen unless Microsoft themselves make a tablet (or buys a tablet manufacturer), and even if that does happen it won't be any time soon.

Google does this all the time with phones, despite not being a maker or manufacturer. I'm not sure what you think prevents Microsoft from buying tablets (most likely at a substantial discount) and giving them away for free.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

McLarenF1 posted:

That's won't take long. I'm pretty sure of one of Microsoft's business principals involves driving dump trucks full of money to people in order to get what they want. They do it for dumb things like Call of Duty DLC exclusivity, and they'll do it to help drive app development too; maybe even give out tablets to developers like Blackberry. And if that doesn't work, they'll just develop it in house, they've got GFWL and XBox to help carry the load too. How long do you think it'll be before they're selling "play a game on XBOX and then continue on the go on your Windows 8 Tablet". I really think MS will do whatever it takes because like they said, they have to do what ever it takes to survive because it's all they've got unlike Google.

People actively wanted Call of Duty DLC though. I don't see anyone clamoring for mobile Windows anything. I mean, a lot of what you've said applies to Windows Phone 7 too, and that hasn't exactly been a massive success.

And the thing is, Microsoft doesn't really have much of a reputation for portable devices and operating systems. Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows 7 tablets... it's been a long time since Microsoft has made anything anyone wanted in a portable form factor. That's an image they're going to have to shake.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

clockworx posted:

Google does this all the time with phones, despite not being a maker or manufacturer. I'm not sure what you think prevents Microsoft from buying tablets (most likely at a substantial discount) and giving them away for free.

Google has an "official Google phone". Google doesn't typically give away the Android flavor of the week. It's always a Nexus as far as I've seen. I doubt Microsoft will have an "official Microsoft tablet", at least not for a while, which is my point.

e: In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never known Microsoft to glom onto one particular model of ANYTHING and say "this is the official Microsoft __________" (unless they made it themselves obviously)

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

Google has an "official Google phone". Google doesn't typically give away the Android flavor of the week. It's always a Nexus as far as I've seen. I doubt Microsoft will have an "official Microsoft tablet", at least not for a while, which is my point.

e: In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never known Microsoft to glom onto one particular model of ANYTHING and say "this is the official Microsoft __________" (unless they made it themselves obviously)

The IBM PC :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't :google: give away the OG Droid to developers? They were even doing it after they launched the Nexus one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The rom on the OG Droid was built by Google; it's a Nexus in all but name.

McLarenF1 posted:

That's won't take long. I'm pretty sure of one of Microsoft's business principals involves driving dump trucks full of money to people in order to get what they want.
Their problem is they're starting from scratch; WinRT wasn't even unveiled until September 2011. While people perceive the number of Android tablet apps is small, it's at least greater than zero.

As I said, it will depend how Google and Microsoft execute. If Google continues the trend of improved polish and design they showed in Ice Cream Sandwich, and yes, convinces more developers to consider tablet form factors in their app designs, I think Android will climb to significant share in the tablet market. If they have more stumbles (like the Xoom and Honeycomb), then that might leave an opening for Microsoft, or even comedy option Blackberry.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rastor posted:

Their problem is they're starting from scratch; WinRT wasn't even unveiled until September 2011. While people perceive the number of Android tablet apps is small, it's at least greater than zero.

It may as well be zero. Even the official Facebook and Twitter apps aren't formatted for the tablet so if MS releases with FB/Twitter integration then they're already ahead in a way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Didn't :google: give away the OG Droid to developers? They were even doing it after they launched the Nexus one.

Yeah, they had a seeding program that gave away Droids to developers. To qualify you had to have had an app on the market with >5000 downloads and better than 3.5 star average rating, and everyone who attended I/O in 2010 got one free before the conference too.

Today I just got a mail about an event going on at a university near me where MS is offering to give away free Windows phones as part of a three day hackathon style event. You have 42 hours to create 3 Windows Mobile apps, and if you succeed you get a free phone. So clearly they're trying the same tactic here...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, they had a seeding program that gave away Droids to developers. To qualify you had to have had an app on the market with >5000 downloads and better than 3.5 star average rating, and everyone who attended I/O in 2010 got one free before the conference too.

Today I just got a mail about an event going on at a university near me where MS is offering to give away free Windows phones as part of a three day hackathon style event. You have 42 hours to create 3 Windows Mobile apps, and if you succeed you get a free phone. So clearly they're trying the same tactic here...

Microsoft give free phones out all the time.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Proteus4994 posted:

What about the Lumina 800? That is one motherfucking pretty phone! Design and build very much rival Apple in my opinion. (Plus this is another example of Microsoft driving a dump truck of money for exclusivity for the device) because god knows it would have given all the other phones in the market (except maybe not the iPhone) a run for there money. But unfortunately it's a Windows 8 exclusive so no one will use it unless Windows 8 is somehow good.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Just got a transformer prime off craigslist, is there an app or something i need to make streaming videos off websites not terrible? I dont recall having these problems with the hp touchpad.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Just got a transformer prime off craigslist, is there an app or something i need to make streaming videos off websites not terrible? I dont recall having these problems with the hp touchpad.
Yea, use the Chrome browser, it handles videos much better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just noticed the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus just dropped $50 to $300 at Best Buy. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is ICS. Do you think it'll ever get an ICS update?

Codiusprime posted:

I love mine and it will, eventually. Probably.

Samsung has said it will. Take that as you like.
Samsung is really terrible about keeping promises and updating their phones/tablets.

And they are releasing ANOTHER 7" Galaxy Tab. This one comes with ICS.

So no.

McLarenF1 posted:

Proteus4994 posted:

This is literally what they did with the XBox and, while they just fairly recently stopped losing money on them, their goal was to spend whatever it took to have a living room presence and it worked.
It hasn't saved Windows Phone

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

McLarenF1 posted:

Yea, use the Chrome browser, it handles videos much better.
I imagine that by "streaming videos off websites" Ghetto means Flash, which Chrome won't help with.

Is Flash still terrible even on the latest most powerful Android Tablet running ICS? That's pretty sad.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
WinCE thru WM 6.5 was horrific.Phone 7 has a lot of potential, but it'll never be realized because carriers won't go near it.

And Samsung? Their tablet strategy is actually more schizophrenic than their phone strategy. How they managed that feat is beyond me.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There is glooom and doooom when things go booom... in the Android laaab. :v:

The sad fact is I'll probably get an iPad 3 year after selling off my OG Transformer. I hate that I'll have to do it since I've invested into the ecosystem, but I'm also invested into the iOS ecosystem.

Windows has been shovelling cash to developers to make apps for WP7, hasn't made the slightest difference. Outside of a handful high quality apps and games (under the Xbox live moniker), most are just ports (more expensive ones at that).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kynetx posted:

WinCE thru WM 6.5 was horrific.Phone 7 has a lot of potential, but it'll never be realized because carriers won't go near it.
Yes, see, it's the carriers who are at fault for the failure that is Windows Phone.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
In slightly more positive news, the Onlive desktop app has been released for Android tablets. Only available in the US though :smith:.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

I imagine that by "streaming videos off websites" Ghetto means Flash, which Chrome won't help with.

Is Flash still terrible even on the latest most powerful Android Tablet running ICS? That's pretty sad.
Make sure your flash plugin is up to date and you're running in Performance mode (it defaults to Balanced Mode on boot). I've never had an issue on my Transformer Prime, do you have a specific example of a video page that ran poorly? I'll try it out on mine.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What does it mean if my wifi icon stays gray and I can't do anything? As soon as I turn off wifi and turn it back on it turns blue and I'm reconnected. This happens after the tablet sleeps for a long period.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

IT Guy posted:

What does it mean if my wifi icon stays gray and I can't do anything? As soon as I turn off wifi and turn it back on it turns blue and I'm reconnected. This happens after the tablet sleeps for a long period.

That has to do with your tablet's connection to the Google Servers. It shouldn't keep you from doing non Google stuff though, that seems a bit odd.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Codiusprime posted:

That has to do with your tablet's connection to the Google Servers. It shouldn't keep you from doing non Google stuff though, that seems a bit odd.

It stops me from doing anything whether it be my Exchange/Active Sync email or just browsing forums with apps like Awful or XDA

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

IT Guy posted:

It stops me from doing anything whether it be my Exchange/Active Sync email or just browsing forums with apps like Awful or XDA

That's nuts, on my phone it causes the Awful app to flip poo poo (but then again, what doesn't cause the Awful app to flip poo poo) but most other non Google services work fine. Maybe it's because its on a tablet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well if it's not able to access to Google servers it is probably also having trouble accessing other servers. You should consider the graying out to mean your connection is having problems in general, even though it only directly indicates whether you can reach google stuff.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Rastor posted:

Make sure your flash plugin is up to date and you're running in Performance mode (it defaults to Balanced Mode on boot). I've never had an issue on my Transformer Prime, do you have a specific example of a video page that ran poorly? I'll try it out on mine.

Just various sports streams like firstrowsports.eu or vipbox.tv. last night official mls streams were wonky too. Doesnt help some of those sites are bloated with ads.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, see, it's the carriers who are at fault for the failure that is Windows Phone.

Don't misunderstand me, there are many reasons why the platforms is still so small, they are by and large perception issues. The platform is solid, the UI and UX is excellent and it has something to offer people, but nobody can really see it because US CDMA carriers will only offer one model and salespeople would rather slam-dunk an iPhone in 5 minutes than educate themselves and the customers on the alternatives. Although I've never had an ounce of trouble with my SGSII, I'd jump at the chance to get the version running Phone 7. Sprint has the clunky HTC Arrive and has more or less said that they are not interested in anything else.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Just various sports streams like firstrowsports.eu or vipbox.tv. last night official mls streams were wonky too. Doesnt help some of those sites are bloated with ads.
Mother of God, "bloated with ads" isn't quite accurate, is it? Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads. I think I saw one of the ads bite one of the other ads in the neck and then drag it off into a dark hole.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and admit performance in this scenario is less than ideal on the Transformer Prime.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Rastor posted:

Mother of God, "bloated with ads" isn't quite accurate, is it? Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads. I think I saw one of the ads bite one of the other ads in the neck and then drag it off into a dark hole.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and admit performance in this scenario is less than ideal on the Transformer Prime.

Its just strange that an hp touchpad can handle them better with inferior hardware.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Its just strange that an hp touchpad can handle them better with inferior hardware.

Is it possible the custom version of Android loaded on the Touchpad had some kind of ad-blocker built-in and wasn't loading as many flash applets?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

In no way is said Touchpad running WebOS. Flash was incredibly sluggish on WebOS. You must have an Android ROM and OC'd the hell out if it for it to play that.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

hotsauce posted:

In no way is said Touchpad running WebOS. Flash was incredibly sluggish on WebOS. You must have an Android ROM and OC'd the hell out if it for it to play that.

Stock webos! The streams themselves are relatively low Res so I'm guessing its more of a software issue or difficulty handling multiple flash instances.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 2, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rastor posted:

That's an understatement - just tried that on my netbook (which is an E-350 running Windows so much better for Flash) and it bought it to its knees.

Ghetto SuperCzar - when did you last try on the Touchpad? Perhaps those sites have loaded up with adverts since then.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

dissss posted:

That's an understatement - just tried that on my netbook (which is an E-350 running Windows so much better for Flash) and it bought it to its knees.

Ghetto SuperCzar - when did you last try on the Touchpad? Perhaps those sites have loaded up with adverts since then.

Its possible. It was about 2 months ago.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Apparently Google are working with ASUS to release a $199 7" Nexus tablet with Tegra 3

Pinch of salt applies, but it makes sense given ASUS' "first to get Jelly Bean" comments earlier in the week and the Google play domain registrations. It would also explain where the 7" ASUS Memo disappeared to.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

BraveUlysses posted:

The screen on my transformer recently stopped working for no particular reason...the power switch will turn the backlight on but nothing comes up on-screen. Should I just RMA it?

If you're outside the retailer return period, I think you already know the answer to this. Just make sure you're sufficiently prepared against the RMA shipping horror scenario that one unlucky poster described.