Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
They are all poo poo covers, but honestly Certified Copy seems the strongest. The Bergmans are nothing and the Malkovich is weak and doesn't particularly feel like the film. The Downey Sr. set is my only sure buy of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Maybe a dumb question, but why is Greaser's Palace not included in the Downey Sr set? it's the only one of his movies (that I've seen) that I've actually enjoyed and no one else seems interested in releasing a decent version.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Topper Harley posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but why is Greaser's Palace not included in the Downey Sr set? it's the only one of his movies (that I've seen) that I've actually enjoyed and no one else seems interested in releasing a decent version.

I think Scorpion Entertainment still has the rights (their DVD version came out in November 2010).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

All bad covers, but I think the Bergman ones are the worst. Those are so unforgivably lazy.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I think Scorpion Entertainment still has the rights (their DVD version came out in November 2010).

What?! A DVD has been released since the crappy, non-anamorphic Image DVD? Thank you for the heads up! I'll check that out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

penismightier posted:

All bad covers, but I think the Bergman ones are the worst. Those are so unforgivably lazy.

I dunno, at least they have a unique-ish font, unlike BJM. I don't know how someone could think that light beige colour looks good on a cover let alone anything, and it doesn't suit the movie at all. Is that Malkovich's eye? If so they should have put the rest of his face there (and it's a big enough close-up that it doesn't really have to be him). Then change the font to a less boring one, cover is instantly better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Being John Malkovich presents so many interesting ideas besides "be Malkovich" and great imagery besides "be Malkovich" that the cover is almost insulting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They should change all instances of "The Criterion Collection" on the packaging (except for copyright) to "The Malkovich Collection". Then they can make the color as ugly as possible.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
La Haine is one of my favorite blind buys from the collection. I strongly suggest to pick it up.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Today's Criterion clue has got to be a Hoop Dreams Blu-Ray release:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

leokitty posted:

Today's Criterion clue has got to be a Hoop Dreams Blu-Ray release:

The way things are going lately, that's probably the cover too.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

penismightier posted:

The way things are going lately, that's probably the cover too.

And it would be better than the Being John Malkovich design

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
This is only going to encourage those assholes who think requesting/guessing Space Jam is funny.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

robix smash posted:

This is only going to encourage those assholes who think requesting/guessing Space Jam is funny.

A part of me kind of wishes they really do release Space Jam just for the arthouse rage that would ensue.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wait, what's the point of putting Hoop Dreams on Blu-Ray?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wait, what's the point of putting Hoop Dreams on Blu-Ray?

No idea. That's why I think it's Space Jam.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It sounds like you're all implying that Space Jam wasn't a great movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The .org dweebs are suggesting it has something to do with Spalding Gray, which would actually be really, really cool.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The .org dweebs are suggesting it has something to do with Spalding Gray, which would actually be really, really cool.

There was some interview that sprung up around the new Gray doc that Soderbergh did and the guy said that there would be a set of all the Gray films coming out on Criterion.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The point of Hoop Dreams on Blu-Ray would probably be getting people to upgrade for no real reason and would probably be successful.

That said the Spalding Gray stuff sounds interesting. I wouldn't blind buy it but I'd give it a spin on Hulu for sure.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It'd be amazing if they could get the rights to "The Killing Fields" as part of a Spalding Gray set. Doubt it though, since it's owned by Warner.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Cacator posted:

No idea. That's why I think it's Space Jam.
It would be a travesty if they didn't release Good Burger first.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haven't they been doubling up some of the drawings? I remember thinking that one of them a while ago pointed to both Red Desert and The Thin Red Line.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

leokitty posted:

The point of Hoop Dreams on Blu-Ray would probably be getting people to upgrade for no real reason and would probably be successful.

Hoop Dreams is kind of crammed onto its DVD.

robix smash posted:

It would be a travesty if they didn't release Good Burger first.
Haven't they been doubling up some of the drawings? I remember thinking that one of them a while ago pointed to both Red Desert and The Thin Red Line.

There was that drunk dog one. What did that end up being, anyway?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My first thought when I saw the clue was Spalding Gray. I'd be very psyched for a set. All his monologue films and the Soderbergh documentary are great.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

There was that drunk dog one. What did that end up being, anyway?

I think the consensus was Drunken Angel/Stray Dog and the file name had two Ks in its title for double Kurosawa.

As for Spalding Grey, let's not overlook the possibility of them releasing the long due How High on bluray

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

They could probably include a loseless audio track and not compress the SD video as much. Not a massive upgrade but it should be a slight upgrade from the DVD.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Crossposting from general chat

Criterion just made a bunch of their movies on Hulu free for a few days as part of an Oscar celebration.

http://www.hulu.com/criterion?src=topnav

There's some great stuff - Breathless, Stagecoach, Hopscotch, Hoop Dreams, The Virgin Spring, seemingly all of the Zatoichi films. Yeah, it's on a computer screen, but maybe it'll be good for sampling stuff before what otherwise would've been a blind buy.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Still makes me arbitrarily angry that Hoop Dreams wasn't nominated/didn't win Best Doc. :smith:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Crossposting from general chat

Criterion just made a bunch of their movies on Hulu free for a few days as part of an Oscar celebration.

http://www.hulu.com/criterion?src=topnav

There's some great stuff - Breathless, Stagecoach, Hopscotch, Hoop Dreams, The Virgin Spring, seemingly all of the Zatoichi films. Yeah, it's on a computer screen, but maybe it'll be good for sampling stuff before what otherwise would've been a blind buy.

Oh drat nice! It looks like all of John Cassavetes films are free. Check them out if you love American independent cinema, they are amazing. A Woman Under The Influence is one I really like, but be warned it's an emotional rollercoaster.

edit: Also noticed The Long Voyage Home is free. Good flick from 1940 directed by John Ford, starring John Wayne (but not a western), and based on a play by Eugene O'Neil.

Anyone have an opinion on Mikey and Nicky? Sounds like something I'd like but am curious if it's worth a watch.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 24, 2012

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Mikey and Nicky? Sounds like something I'd like but am curious if it's worth a watch.

One of my very favorite films. I love A Woman Under the Influence, but I personally prefer Mikey & Nicky.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Clicking that Hulu link I see that Criterion is streaming The River Fuefuki on there... does that decrease or increase the odds of a DVD for it? I love the movie, and would love a DVD. I had no idea Criterion even had the rights to it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

zandert33 posted:

Clicking that Hulu link I see that Criterion is streaming The River Fuefuki on there... does that decrease or increase the odds of a DVD for it? I love the movie, and would love a DVD. I had no idea Criterion even had the rights to it.
Well, there are other films that were put up there before getting a release, so it doesn't decrease its chances, but holy hell are there a ton of great movies there that need to be released.

Here's a few:
Les Visiteurs du Soir (1942)
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937)
The Sound of the Mountain (1954)
Alice in the Cities (1974)
A Man Escaped (1956)
Princess Yang Kwei-fei (1955)
Quadrophenia (1979)
Mon Oncle d'Amerique (1980)
Hotel Du Nord (1938)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

zandert33 posted:

When Criterion signed the deal with Hulu there was a mention that some of the things available up there weren't on DVD, so I think it ups the chances but isn't a sign.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

A slew of London Films productions are streaming (does Janus just own that catalog outright?) but unlikely to end up on DVD, and I think a similar logic applies to the deal they have with Shochiku, so many of the Japanese films aren't necessarily likely DVD candidates. But A Man Escaped is likely, and Quadrophenia has been explicitly indicated.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Well, there are other films that were put up there before getting a release, so it doesn't decrease its chances, but holy hell are there a ton of great movies there that need to be released.

Here's a few:
Les Visiteurs du Soir (1942)
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937)
The Sound of the Mountain (1954)
Alice in the Cities (1974)
A Man Escaped (1956)
Princess Yang Kwei-fei (1955)
Quadrophenia (1979)
Mon Oncle d'Amerique (1980)
Hotel Du Nord (1938)

I'm also excited about History is Made at Night, The Long Voyage Home, The Plough and the Stars (VERY, VERY underrated), and The X from Outer Space.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

mod sassinator posted:

If you're at all a fan of John Cassavetes and/or Peter Falk it's a must-watch! It isn't directed by Cassavetes but it feels very much like one of his films. It's like the companion piece to Killing of a Chinese Bookie for me.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

FitFortDanga posted:

My first thought when I saw the clue was Spalding Gray. I'd be very psyched for a set. All his monologue films and the Soderbergh documentary are great.

God yes. I've only seen Gray's Anatomy and And Everything is Going Fine, but Gray's a phenomenal raconteur and I would love a well-presented set of his work.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I just watched the Virgin Spring thanks to this deal. It's pretty amazing (though it was weird watching it with commercials).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A screenshot clue on FB confirms that Shallow Grave will be in the next batch of announcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The backorders from the sale have started to come through, if you placed one. I just got a note about my Godzilla/Three Outlaw Samurai order hitting processing.