Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I saw a few people here talking about getting budget knock off Black Rapids- how do they hold up? I'll gladly save up if there's a big difference in quality but I'm working on a budget and I don't really have any heavy lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pureone posted:

I guess the reason that I wasn't looking for a pure backpacking backpack was because I want to get something that I would be able to use in everyday photography. Especially as I get more gear for it.

That bag would probably do fine for carrying your camera, but it's not going to get around Asia in terms of clothing and toiletries. You're going to need something that'll carry a couple of pairs of pants, some shirts, all your toiletries, and all the crap you accumulate on the trip. You're really going to need an actual pack.

I do a lot of actual packing, and I just toss my camera in a bag with my other gear. I've used this one (http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack) for a lot of day (or overnight, if it's warm and I can sleep in my hammock) trips, and it's gotten me up and down Colorado 14ers, through Toronto, all sorts of places. You'll probably need something bigger for several months of travel, though, unless you're going to be wearing strictly that specialized no-stink synthetic clothing and sticking to a really dedicated no-souvenir policy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pureone posted:

I'm going backpacking over southeast asia for a couple months and need a bag suggestion.

I'm only going to be bringing one bag with me, so ideally it would be able to fit a fair amount of clothes, and toiletries, all the while keeping my T3i and Macbook Pro (13") safe. I guess this means that I will need a separate area in it for a laptop and camera. I was just gifted the camera, so I will only be bringing the 18-55mm lens that it came with.

The most important thing is comfort. I will be lugging this all over the countries I will be visiting. Unfortunately, it has to be under 100 dollars as well.

Is there anything out there that is worth checking out?

I've been checking this Kata bag out: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-466i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B0035XXNJY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2R8AE4AEY20DO&colid=1H86ISI0A07LQ

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you need it for work or some serious video editing on the road, bringing a MBP is a terrible idea for backpacking in SEA. It's heavy, pricey, and I assume your primary computer. Do you really want to risk anything happening to it? Pick up a cheap netbook used on Craigslist and bring that, if you're going to bring a computer at all. Personally I like traveling with a lightweight computer (I use it for holding photos, but also journaling since I'm a much faster typist than handwriter), but you can easily do without it; internet cafes are ubiquitous in SEA and will burn your memory card to a DVD for a nominal fee.

Also you should probably bring two bags; one main that usually gets left in the guesthouse room during the day, and one smaller daypack (that you can fit the DSLR in, as well as a book, hat, phrasebook, bottle of water, etc). Most people stuff the little one into the big one when moving from place to place. Really, unless you're doing trekking there's not a great need to splash out on a pricey backpack; unless you're super-stingy, you don't actually do a ton of walking around with your main backpack in most cases (most go from bus station/train station/jetty to guesthouse by taxi/tuktuk/whatever, as the main backpacker haunts usually aren't near the transportation hubs).

I don't necessarily recommend them, but I've been using a military surplus dufflebag for years, which has terrible ergonomics, and it's only caused me discomfort once or twice because it's so seldom on my back for more than a few minutes at a time. It's also dirt cheap, holds a shitload of stuff, is tough as nails, and doesn't scream "WELL-HEELED FOREIGN TOURIST" when it's riding in the luggage compartment of a bus. Not for everybody, but I took one my first time backpacking and it was fine, so kept it up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lege posted:

So that about covers it. All in all I'm happy with my purchase. The only thing I miss is the capability to carry a monopod/tripod but I think I can mod that in.

Kata makes a tripod holder for that bag

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-ZZ-STH-3N1-Tripod-Holder/dp/B002HHLWC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330798723&sr=1-1

I bought a Kata 3n1-33 (basically the same thing as yours but with pocket to hold a laptop) off a goon that came with the tripod holder, and it seems like it would work well with a shorter tripod. Doesn't work very well with a heavy or tall tripod though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

I saw a few people here talking about getting budget knock off Black Rapids- how do they hold up? I'll gladly save up if there's a big difference in quality but I'm working on a budget and I don't really have any heavy lenses.

It's not so much a knock-off as the thing that Black Rapid was inspired by before selling it as a camera specific strap at a huge mark-up. First, I would say buy the BR ring that attaches the strap to the camera because that is a part that they've genuinely got down and you're not going to find anything comparable for cheaper. The strap itself, though, is easily found cheaper.

I can't find the exact strap I have on amazon anymore, but it's just a basic rifle sling and there are a ton of alternative options in the $15-25 price range. I've used it with a gripped 7D with a 70-200 2.8 and a 580EXII on top with no issues. As to how well it holds up? It's designed to keep a rifle at someone's side. If it doesn't hold up then that person is dead. How well do you think it holds up?

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

bringing a MBP is a terrible idea for backpacking in SEA.

I wish that there was a way to avoid bringing it. I'm really not looking forward to lugging it around everywhere and or hiding it in hostels when I go out, but I'm going to need it for my second stretch of the trip, which will be very stationary in China.

Also, I understand that it seems like getting a standard backpacking backpack might be a better idea, but it seems like everything I find online is overkill. Most of the one's I am looking at are around 35L bags. I guess I should start looking for something in the 55L range and just buy a camera insert?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Pureone posted:

I wish that there was a way to avoid bringing it. I'm really not looking forward to lugging it around everywhere and or hiding it in hostels when I go out, but I'm going to need it for my second stretch of the trip, which will be very stationary in China.

Also, I understand that it seems like getting a standard backpacking backpack might be a better idea, but it seems like everything I find online is overkill. Most of the one's I am looking at are around 35L bags. I guess I should start looking for something in the 55L range and just buy a camera insert?

Have you traveled this long before? Knowing what you like to do during the trip helps out a lot.

I was in South East Asia for three months with just the Tenba Medium Shootout backpack, and I had a D300, 16-85mm, 70-300mm and SB-600 in that, plus a laptop, plus clothes. I had a tiny shoulder bag for day-to-day use, or for when I didn't want to bring a larger kit. Then again, I was in Nepal and India last summer using only this small backpack for about a month. Granted, my cameras were smaller too. And I spent a week in NYC and Washington DC with the National Geographic medium messenger bag.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pureone posted:

You can consider using this as a camera insert if you're just bringing a camera and a lens: http://www.crumpler.com/catalogue/Camera-Bags/Camera-Pouches/Haven-S.html

Then just put your laptop in a thick laptop sleeve.

TheeWasp
Jun 25, 2008
I want a handstrap, a strap with same function as black rapid and a quickrelease plate for a Manfrotto 468MGRC4 to have on the camera at the same time. Any ideas on where to look?

Should I switch out manfrotto quickrelease system for arca swiss?

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

TheeWasp posted:

I want a handstrap, a strap with same function as black rapid and a quickrelease plate for a Manfrotto 468MGRC4 to have on the camera at the same time. Any ideas on where to look?

Should I switch out manfrotto quickrelease system for arca swiss?

You can go ahead and get a Black Rapid strap and then get the Fasten RT1 to replace the screw on your quick-release plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fasten-RT1-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B0049H89F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331940854&sr=8-1

TheeWasp
Jun 25, 2008

Cyborganizer posted:

You can go ahead and get a Black Rapid strap and then get the Fasten RT1 to replace the screw on your quick-release plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fasten-RT1-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B0049H89F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331940854&sr=8-1

I thought they only worked with the rc2 quick plates, not with the rc4.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

TheeWasp posted:

I thought they only worked with the rc2 quick plates, not with the rc4.
I'm stupid. I must have glazed over the "rc4" part of your post. I believe you are correct about the comparability issue.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I know this might be a longshot, but can anyone recommend a camera bag that could also carry a 17" macbook? or alternatively a 17" laptop bag that could fit a 60D plus a couple of lens's.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keket posted:

I know this might be a longshot, but can anyone recommend a camera bag that could also carry a 17" macbook? or alternatively a 17" laptop bag that could fit a 60D plus a couple of lens's.

What size of lenses?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
nifty 50, 18-55 kit (replacing with the tamron as soon as i get paid) and a 90-300.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Pretty standard question... I'm looking for a bag for the following:

1) Canon 7D + Grip
2) Canon 70-200 F4 w/ hood
3) Sigma 30 1.4
4) Tokina 12-24 F4
5) Tamron 28-75 F2.8
6) Flash (maybe 2 flashes)
7) Cords, chargers, and so forth

I'm looking at the medium sized ape case but I'm not just not sure if it will fit everything. I'm leaning towards 'it won't' fit everything.

Do I need to go for the medium-sized backpack instead? It might also be nice if there was room for my 15" Macbook Pro, but the medium-sized backpack states only 14" notebooks will fit.

Any advice? I'd like to spend no more than 80 dollars, if possible.

edit: I really like the build quality of the Ape Cases. I've got a small holster for my 7D (ungripped) and it just seems really solid and well padded. I like it way more than my Lowepro poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keket posted:

nifty 50, 18-55 kit (replacing with the tamron as soon as i get paid) and a 90-300.

Some of the various backpack models should work for you, but you'll probably have a lot more extra space in the camera section than you need.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

n0n0 posted:

Pretty standard question... I'm looking for a bag for the following:

1) Canon 7D + Grip
2) Canon 70-200 F4 w/ hood
3) Sigma 30 1.4
4) Tokina 12-24 F4
5) Tamron 28-75 F2.8
6) Flash (maybe 2 flashes)
7) Cords, chargers, and so forth

I'm looking at the medium sized ape case but I'm not just not sure if it will fit everything. I'm leaning towards 'it won't' fit everything.

Do I need to go for the medium-sized backpack instead? It might also be nice if there was room for my 15" Macbook Pro, but the medium-sized backpack states only 14" notebooks will fit.

Any advice? I'd like to spend no more than 80 dollars, if possible.

edit: I really like the build quality of the Ape Cases. I've got a small holster for my 7D (ungripped) and it just seems really solid and well padded. I like it way more than my Lowepro poo poo.
I just bought what I think is the medium size ape-case. (it's the 1200 I bought).

While I don't have exactly your kit, I think it probably would fit all that. It is a pretty big bag. Mine fits my 30D (no grip), 70-200 F/4L, 18-55 kit, 55-250 kit, 50mm nifty fifty, cords and everything. I don't have any flashes thought, or a grip so I don't know how those would impact it. You also can't really store the lens in the bag if you've got the 70-200 because of the way the bag is setup up, it's actually pretty tough to put the camera in with any sort of longer lens.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

I just bought what I think is the medium size ape-case. (it's the 1200 I bought).

While I don't have exactly your kit, I think it probably would fit all that. It is a pretty big bag. Mine fits my 30D (no grip), 70-200 F/4L, 18-55 kit, 55-250 kit, 50mm nifty fifty, cords and everything. I don't have any flashes thought, or a grip so I don't know how those would impact it. You also can't really store the lens in the bag if you've got the 70-200 because of the way the bag is setup up, it's actually pretty tough to put the camera in with any sort of longer lens.
Do you keep a lens on your camera even when it's in the case?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

n0n0 posted:

Do you keep a lens on your camera even when it's in the case?
Yeah, I've almost always got my 18-55 kit lens on it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I've almost always got my 18-55 kit lens on it.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I'll probably order it tonight.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Mr. Despair posted:

Kata makes a tripod holder for that bag

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-ZZ-STH-3N1-Tripod-Holder/dp/B002HHLWC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330798723&sr=1-1

I bought a Kata 3n1-33 (basically the same thing as yours but with pocket to hold a laptop) off a goon that came with the tripod holder, and it seems like it would work well with a shorter tripod. Doesn't work very well with a heavy or tall tripod though.

It works great with a Manfrotto 190 series - a pretty standard sized tripod. You just have to put two legs in the holder and one leg on the outside of the holder. The buckle up top keeps the outside leg from opening up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Will the Retrospective 20 hold a gripped body? I'd like something deep like my 7 Million Dollar home, but that isn't as bulky or extended from the body.

E: And how well does it hold up to rain?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 19, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

Will the Retrospective 20 hold a gripped body? I'd like something deep like my 7 Million Dollar home, but that isn't as bulky or extended from the body.

E: And how well does it hold up to rain?

My Retrospective 10 will hold a gripped body, with a mild bulge. It handles light rain just fine but the bag came with a rain fly that looks like it could handle torrential rain.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

My Retrospective 10 will hold a gripped body, with a mild bulge. It handles light rain just fine but the bag came with a rain fly that looks like it could handle torrential rain.

Thanks!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey Dorkroom, what would you recommend to hold an assembled gripped 60D with a Canon 70-200 F2.8? My Lowerpro Slingshot 200AW won't even come close to fitting such an assembly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Hey Dorkroom, what would you recommend to hold an assembled gripped 60D with a Canon 70-200 F2.8? My Lowerpro Slingshot 200AW won't even come close to fitting such an assembly.

What do you want, another sling bag, shoulder bag, backpack?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

DJExile posted:

What do you want, another sling bag, shoulder bag, backpack?

Well while the sling I have is nice, I never use it's main feature which is swinging the bag around to open it while still wearing it. I also found out it's extremely uncomfortable to put all of it's weight on a single shoulder for extended periods of time. But I have not ruled them out.

There is a backpack system that has shown up in this thread a few times that I can't find. They are rather expensive but they are also very nice. I think the one I saw here was in the $200 range.

I'd prefer not having a shoulder bag.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rcman50166 posted:

Well while the sling I have is nice, I never use it's main feature which is swinging the bag around to open it while still wearing it. I also found out it's extremely uncomfortable to put all of it's weight on a single shoulder for extended periods of time. But I have not ruled them out.

There is a backpack system that has shown up in this thread a few times that I can't find. They are rather expensive but they are also very nice. I think the one I saw here was in the $200 range.

I'd prefer not having a shoulder bag.

Maybe a Kata 3n1? Can use it as a backpack, but switch it to a sling if you need the functionality in the future (I never use the sling function, but the one I have is pretty dang comfy to use as a backpack). Honestly not sure how well it'll handle a gripped camera though, but the 70-200 probably wouldn't be an issue.

e. The Kata's website says the 3n1-33 is meant to handle a gripped camera, so it would probalby work, even looks like the pictures here might show it with a gripped camera with a 70-200 mounted for reference.

http://www.kata-bags.com/3n1-33-for-dslr-w-long-range-zoom-lens-5-6-lenses-flash

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 19, 2012

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
That's not the particular one I remember, but that is definitely the sort of thing I was looking for.

Out of curiosity I'd still like to find the bag I saw here. I also believe the photo used was for a white bag if it helps. I'm going to look through the thread and see if I can find it.

Edit: Looking through the thread the bag I was thinking of was a Lowerpro Flipside. It was green. :blush:

Also looking through the Tamrac Expedition bags look neat. Anyone got more info on those and possibly own one?

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 19, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's not so much a knock-off as the thing that Black Rapid was inspired by before selling it as a camera specific strap at a huge mark-up. First, I would say buy the BR ring that attaches the strap to the camera because that is a part that they've genuinely got down and you're not going to find anything comparable for cheaper. The strap itself, though, is easily found cheaper.

I can't find the exact strap I have on amazon anymore, but it's just a basic rifle sling and there are a ton of alternative options in the $15-25 price range. I've used it with a gripped 7D with a 70-200 2.8 and a 580EXII on top with no issues. As to how well it holds up? It's designed to keep a rifle at someone's side. If it doesn't hold up then that person is dead. How well do you think it holds up?
So if I get http://www.amazon.com/Fasten-RT1-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B0049H89F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331940854&sr=8-1 and combine it with http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Cascade-Neoprene-Swivels/dp/B003ITG62Q it should work fine?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
How do you guys carry your tripods around? I just bought a new one and it's a clunky cheap heavy one, It feels awkward holding it all the time and it's far too heavy to sling on my slingshot's tripod holder. Should I look at tripod bags or is there a simpler option out there?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Trambopaline posted:

How do you guys carry your tripods around? I just bought a new one and it's a clunky cheap heavy one, It feels awkward holding it all the time and it's far too heavy to sling on my slingshot's tripod holder. Should I look at tripod bags or is there a simpler option out there?

Manfrotto makes a shoulder strap that's pretty good.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Go to the army surplus store and buy a cheap rifle sling.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I just got a T2i & nifty fifty for it. Can someone recommend a small soft case that would fit this body and lens only for carrying the camera in my luggage/carry on? I'm thinking a little zippered pouch thing, but form fitting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FunOne posted:

I just got a T2i & nifty fifty for it. Can someone recommend a small soft case that would fit this body and lens only for carrying the camera in my luggage/carry on? I'm thinking a little zippered pouch thing, but form fitting.

I use a large Tenba wrap to cameras in my work back pack.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So holy crap I see why you guys like these ThinkTank bags. My Retrospective 20 is fantastic and was perfect for my San Diego trip.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For any of you backpackers/skiers out there, I'd like to recommend the Clik Elite Contrejour 35.

While I really liked the look of the F-Stop bags, this Clik Elite bag was always lurking as second choice. I needed a new bag for ski touring, summer backpacking, and a trip to Peru in the fall. I saw that the Clik Elite was on sale on amazon.ca for 49% off (making it $173.54 CDN!) so I jumped on it. [NOTE: I just checked and it's still on sale!]

This is an excellent, high quality pack, and I would be totally happy at full price. Getting it on sale has put me over the moon when it comes to this bag.

Solid materials, well-placed straps and buckles, and decent design in terms of pockets and such. Most important: it carries and skis excellently.

So far I've taken it on one road trip, a couple afternoons snowshoeing, and two full day ski tours.

This is what I take with me skiing:
- 1d, 70-300L, 17-40L, mem card wallet, spare battery, lens pen, blower
- shovel, probe, snow saw, snow study kit
- map, guidebook, compass, first aid kit, emergency overnight stuff
- tools, binding repair kit, climbing skins
- extra clothing, goggles, helmet, headlamp
- food
- 2L of water (Camel Back bladder)
- misc tiny odds and ends

The photo stuff made that a heavy load and it was tiring lifting it up and off my back at each transition. But once it was on my back, it felt great and carried like a much lighter pack. The bag didn't sway while climbing, nor was it awkward or restrictive on the downhill. The camera gear is held securely and is well padded, I didn't feel the need to ski conservatively.

Interesting that there was still lots of room to cram more stuff in there. I deliberately got the 35L bag over the 40L because I have a tendency to fill my bags right up and then suffer. Also, I think the 35L will just barely meet carry-on restrictions.

The side access for the camera was real handy, except under one condition: if you're bootpacking and carrying your skis a-frame, side access is blocked. But outside of that the side access works great and will keep your ski buddies happy as you can quickly pull out your camera for some shots with minimal farting around.

Some gripes, however:
- the zipper sliders grab the weather sealing ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.
- the main pocket doesn't have compartments for avalanche gear. This means there isn't a separation between wet stuff and dry stuff.
- no real helmet carry system. However, there's lots of little tabs and loops so I'll be shopping for a small net to solve this problem.
- [edit] no pockets on the waist straps.

tl;dr - I love this bag and if you're looking for an outdoors specific pack, take a close look at what Clik Elite has to offer.

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2012

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rot posted:

For any of you backpackers/skiers out there, I'd like to recommend the Clik Elite Contrejour 35.

While I really liked the look of the F-Stop bags, this Clik Elite bag was always lurking as second choice. I needed a new bag for ski touring, summer backpacking, and a trip to Peru in the fall. I saw that the Clik Elite was on sale on amazon.ca for 49% off (making it $173.54 CDN!) so I jumped on it. [NOTE: I just checked and it's still on sale!]

This is an excellent, high quality pack, and I would be totally happy at full price. Getting it on sale has put me over the moon when it comes to this bag.

Solid materials, well-placed straps and buckles, and decent design in terms of pockets and such. Most important: it carries and skis excellently.

So far I've taken it on one road trip, a couple afternoons snowshoeing, and two full day ski tours.

This is what I take with me skiing:
- 1d, 70-300L, 17-40L, mem card wallet, spare battery, lens pen, blower
- shovel, probe, snow saw, snow study kit
- map, guidebook, compass, first aid kit, emergency overnight stuff
- tools, binding repair kit, climbing skins
- extra clothing, goggles, helmet, headlamp
- food
- 2L of water (Camel Back bladder)
- misc tiny odds and ends

The photo stuff made that a heavy load and it was tiring lifting it up and off my back at each transition. But once it was on my back, it felt great and carried like a much lighter pack. The bag didn't sway while climbing, nor was it awkward or restrictive on the downhill. The camera gear is held securely and is well padded, I didn't feel the need to ski conservatively.

Interesting that there was still lots of room to cram more stuff in there. I deliberately got the 35L bag over the 40L because I have a tendency to fill my bags right up and then suffer. Also, I think the 35L will just barely meet carry-on restrictions.

The side access for the camera was real handy, except under one condition: if you're bootpacking and carrying your skis a-frame, side access is blocked. But outside of that the side access works great and will keep your ski buddies happy as you can quickly pull out your camera for some shots with minimal farting around.

Some gripes, however:
- the zipper sliders grab the weather sealing ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.
- the main pocket doesn't have compartments for avalanche gear. This means there isn't a separation between wet stuff and dry stuff.
- no real helmet carry system. However, there's lots of little tabs and loops so I'll be shopping for a small net to solve this problem.
- [edit] no pockets on the waist straps.

tl;dr - I love this bag and if you're looking for an outdoors specific pack, take a close look at what Clik Elite has to offer.

My God that's expensive :stare:. I just bought a Kata 3N1-30 camera backpack for a third of that price. Well, a little more because I bought the tripod holder accessory as well. I just took it to New York City for a 10 hour day of shooting and it served me well. It felt great the entire day. Is there anything notable that makes it $200 more?

For those interested in size, this is what is in my Kata right now.

-Gripped Canon 60D
-Canon 70-200L F4 w/ big obnoxious lens hood
-Canon 24-70L F2.8 w/ even bigger obnoxious lens hood
-Canon 2x Extender
-Full size tripod
-Cowboy Studio remote wireless flash trigger
-Vivitar 285HV
-Black Rapid strap
-Extra battery set for 60D, Vivitar, remote trigger
-Chargers for everything
-1L water bottle
-bout 15 caps, filters, adapters
-Pens and sticky notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

My God that's expensive :stare:. I just bought a Kata 3N1-30 camera backpack for a third of that price. Well, a little more because I bought the tripod holder accessory as well. I just took it to New York City for a 10 hour day of shooting and it served me well. It felt great the entire day. Is there anything notable that makes it $200 more?

You know the thing about "photo dollars"? That goes for quality outdoors equipment too.

I used to have a 3N1-20 and didn't like it. It was a fine pack but didn't fit me right (I prefer ThinkTank stuff, personal preference blah blah blah) and I eventually sold it.

There is no way in hell I'd bring the Kata on a ski tour. The material isn't right, the size isn't right, and there are no provisions for carrying any non-photo stuff.

I've come to realize that bag choice is a real horses for courses type of thing: each activity you're doing has a specific gear requirement (and now try to add photo gear into the mix) and there's no one do-it-all solution.

Which is why I have a zillion different bags :(

• Locked thread