Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The Casualty posted:

It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.

this made my morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

My girlfriend does yoga, its awesome. :allears:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The Casualty posted:

It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.

I say we have a GiP outing to The Casualty's community college yoga class.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

My girlfriend does yoga, its awesome. :allears:

Dude, mine too. Definitely the best health fad to catch on in recent times.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
We're going to start throwing a Tabata HIIT workout onto the end of our lifting sessions, focused on the muscle group of that night. I look forward to tearing a rotator cuff.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Defleshed posted:

I say we have a GiP outing to The Casualty's community college yoga class.
Now now, gentlemen. There's enough community colleges to go around, I promise.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

The Casualty posted:

Now now, gentlemen. There's enough community colleges to go around, I promise.

gently caress that, we're all going to show up at yours. And I will be the creeper dude staring at butts.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I'll have my own yoga pants on, sporting a clearly outlined erection

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

So, I'm gonna start wearing a mouth guard at the gym because I've noticed I clench my teeth on heavy squats. Can't wait to look like an rear end in a top hat. :(

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yoga is amazing. Girls who can put their one leg behind their head while standing on the other foot.....

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that give you easy access to they vagina

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So, I'm gonna start wearing a mouth guard at the gym because I've noticed I clench my teeth on heavy squats. Can't wait to look like an rear end in a top hat. :(

Under Armour and some others sells a "performance mouthguard" if you want to really go for the "that guy" look.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1223503-960

For what its worth the two people I know who had them said it helped a lot.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think I'm going to go to Casualties Community College and just watch him do yoga :allears:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MurderBot posted:

I think I'm going to go to Casualties Community College and just watch him do yoga :allears:
I do Fish Pose in class just to weird people out sometimes. That's the one where I lie flat on my back and then curl my head completely back so that I'm resting on my butt and the top of my head. Bonus points if I don't stabilize on my elbows.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

The girl I went to do yoga with totally wants me now. All my awkward flirting didn't go anywhere until I showed her I can put both leg over my head.... Yoga for the win......

Changing up my work out for ALC. I think I'm going to add the row machine in for 15minutes to end my work outs. How's that for cardio?

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 2, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rowing is very good for cardio, but just remember that if you're trying to get better at running or any other form of cardiovascular exercise, there will be an improvement initially if you haven't done much cardio before, but the only way to become very proficient with a specific exercise is by mainly doing that.. Crossover exercises can help improve but not to the degree that training for that exercise/sport would.

and if you're doing it for weight loss then it's pretty badass overall.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just really really really hate running and avoid it no matter what. For almost 2 years I did absolutely no cardio or anything high intensity. It was just straight weight lifting to lose weight and not look like a fat rear end anymore. Which was awesome. I leaned up, my overall PT shot up, and I passed my last PT test with a 15:54 on my run. The only event I didn't max out. But I was also 20 pounds heavy at the time.

Started cross fit and I leaned out alot more, and my run is now a 14:30 for 2 miles, did an unit PT test that included a 4 mile run and I came in at 32:14. Which really isn't too bad for not never running at all. I would love to max out the PT test, but I honestly do not want to get on the track or street and just run. I honestly rather nail my balls to a tree.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Kaliber posted:

I just really really really hate running and avoid it no matter what. For almost 2 years I did absolutely no cardio or anything high intensity. It was just straight weight lifting to lose weight and not look like a fat rear end anymore. Which was awesome. I leaned up, my overall PT shot up, and I passed my last PT test with a 15:54 on my run. The only event I didn't max out. But I was also 20 pounds heavy at the time.

Started cross fit and I leaned out alot more, and my run is now a 14:30 for 2 miles, did an unit PT test that included a 4 mile run and I came in at 32:14. Which really isn't too bad for not never running at all. I would love to max out the PT test, but I honestly do not want to get on the track or street and just run. I honestly rather nail my balls to a tree.

If you're still into crossfit check out Audie Murphy Gym when you get down here. It's a pretty awesome setup and you'll probably really like it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That's the thing, crossfit and these programs that focus on physical fitness can be really beneficial to individuals who want to get good at things like 5k's lifting etc etc.. So crossfit is completely up your alley, poo poo even if you incorporated some of the workouts that involve doing an exercise, running 800M then going back to a certain exercise will help with a 2mile run.

It's only until you get into people who wish to do well at a specific sport... Look at a majority of marathoners or power lifters... They're either strong as gently caress, or fast a gently caress.. They are not the standard of "fit" or even healthy for that matter. Just kind of depends on what you wanna do.

On that note, I ran 6 miles on trails at a 7:28 min/mile pace... I'm going to beat the gently caress out of that time this tuesday to show how loving oorah hooah yut yut god drat pain cave motivated I am to ya'll.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, I also think the key to fitness is to find something that you like and stick with it. W&W posters wanna sperg about how technically this system and that means that lifting weights burns fat more efficiently blah blah blah blah and how it's the ONLY way to get in shape. The problem is that if you don't like something, you won't stick with it. I think the reason why so many goons flock to weightlifting is because goons in general are lazy loving people, and weightlifting has probably the most shallow learning curve of any type of exercise when you're first starting out. Is it intense later on? Of course, but it's certainly a lot more depressing to start running, swimming, cycling, or doing crossfit if you're completely out of shape because each of those exercises is inherently intense.

However, if crossfit or running or swimming is your thing, and you stick with it, then obviously it's more directly beneficial and successful as a tool to achieve your goal. Likewise, if you like lifting weights and that motivates you to keep going to the gym and eating healthy and whatnot, then have at it.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Goons stick to weight lifting because muscles get chicks.

Crossfit makes dudes look normal and makes chicks hot.

I'm still skeptical of the whole crossfit thing. I mean, can't complain about it getting people to get off their butt. But still. The regiments are just weird and don't seem good for your body in the long-term.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Christoff posted:

Goons stick to weight lifting because muscles get chicks.

Crossfit makes dudes look normal and makes chicks hot.

I'm still skeptical of the whole crossfit thing. I mean, can't complain about it getting people to get off their butt. But still. The regiments are just weird and don't seem good for your body in the long-term.

Each gym is different. There's no franchise really outside of writing a check each year for the name. The lack of HQ control also means gyms are free to be better if they want to be. If the gym looks like the main site as far as workouts go I think its a waste of money.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossfit is loving dumb as the main workout type. Lift weights.

Just did shoulders (after taking a percocet a couple hours prior), pretty sure tomorrow is going to suck because I wasn't feeling pain and now it's hard to use my arms.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
If I have 45 days before a vacation and want to shed what's left of my belly fat, should I do half of a P90X cycle? P45X? I'm strong and I can run a few miles without dying, I just have a stubborn paunch and I'd rather not be self-conscious about my gut when I go to some European beach.

Typically routine is to lift for around an hour and then do cardio for 20 minutes, or 2 miles of I'm running that day. I do that 5 days a week. I don't really keep track of individual lifts in a log but I typically do 3 sets of 12 at 65% of max, 3 sets of 10 at 75% or 3 sets of 8 at 85% and increase the weight a little bit every week. It's not very scientific but it seems to work well.

I can definitely work on my diet some. I'm stuck on a base without easy access to groceries, but in spite of that I stick to mostly veggies, gluten free carbs or whole grains, and white meats or vegetable proteins. I also consume probably 50 grams of protein from shakes, whey after work outs and casein before bed. I know for sure that I'm under-metabolizing right now because I've been out of food in the room for a week (getting ready to move) so I'm only eating 2-3 meals a day instead of my normal 6, and I feel hungry a lot. Considering that those meals I do have haven't really changed in size (except i double a portion of vegetables now) but I'm actually working out considerably more per day now that I'm on hold (2 or 3 hours), I doubt I'm over-eating. My calorie budget is 2480, assuming 5 solid workouts per week, and I have a good idea of how much I'm taking in (not nearly that much unfortunately, not with my snacks gone). I'll fix that this month once I move.

For the record I'm 6'1", 197 lbs. And what I'm doing right now is having a small impact, but I'm willing to look at shaking things up a bit.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just do HIIT dude, you will lose it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

Just do HIIT dude, you will lose it.
Care to give me an example? What do you like to do?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've only ever done the sprinting method but I'm going to start the Tabata method in a month or so apparently. I think the Tabata Method is preferable though: 20 seconds of front squats, 10 seconds of rest, rinse and repeat for 8 cycles (4 minutes). If you aren't throwing up or near to it you are doing it wrong.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

I've only ever done the sprinting method but I'm going to start the Tabata method in a month or so apparently. I think the Tabata Method is preferable though: 20 seconds of front squats, 10 seconds of rest, rinse and repeat for 8 cycles (4 minutes). If you aren't throwing up or near to it you are doing it wrong.
That doesn't sound hard at all :downs:
But seriously I'll give that a shot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rrail posted:

Crossfit is loving dumb as the main workout type. Lift weights.

Just did shoulders (after taking a percocet a couple hours prior), pretty sure tomorrow is going to suck because I wasn't feeling pain and now it's hard to use my arms.

You seriously took percocet 2 hours prior to a workout? Are you a loving idiot? You just trying to damage your shoulders more?

I see you're filling your alcohol void.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I took it at 9PM and worked out at 2AM. So 5 hours, not a couple. I woke up from my opiate-haze-nap just prior to going to the gym, it didn't feel that long, SUE ME.

It was on the outside edge of it, so it just numbed a bit of the burn. It was actually a really solid morning at the gym. Shoulders is my most important workout for the look I'm trying to achieve.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

5 hours isn't long enough.

I'm just saying man working out with any kind of pain-reliever is a bad idea. Especially if you already have an injury.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

5 hours isn't long enough.

I'm just saying man working out with any kind of pain-reliever is a bad idea. Especially if you already have an injury.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Oh for real? I just felt a little lazy when I woke up. I don't have an injury though, I'm aight. My bad, I figured 5 hours was enough, I stop feeling effects after 3 or so.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Hey Rrail not to derail your painkiller addiction chat or anything, but should I do that HIIT workout at the end of my normal workout in place of cardio? Or should I do my normal routine and tack that on to it?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When you do HIIT you need to really be at full aerobic capacity. If you absolutely must do it on the same day you lift, do it at the end of your work out. Don't do it the same day you do cardio, you won't be able to do sprints at 170% vo2 max (or if you're doing Tabata, you won't have the energy to do a full 8 cycles at max repetition rate). From what I have researched on Tabata, you still want to be aiming at about 8-10 reps in that 20 second cycle, so you need to find the weight that allows for that with front squats.

I forget whether you're still in the military or not (I am so bad about this) but if you're not gently caress cardio all together, it is a waste if you ask me.

Just mentally prepare yourself for how much HIIT is going to suck, because it is. Of the first 3 times I did HIIT sprints, I vomited twice. You will also be ravenously hungry afterwards, try to resist that. HIIT puts your body into a fat burning mode (I can't remember the name for this) for the next 24ish hours.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Rrail posted:

gently caress cardio all together, it is a waste if you ask me.

:what:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

When you do HIIT you need to really be at full aerobic capacity. If you absolutely must do it on the same day you lift, do it at the end of your work out. Don't do it the same day you do cardio, you won't be able to do sprints at 170% vo2 max (or if you're doing Tabata, you won't have the energy to do a full 8 cycles at max repetition rate). From what I have researched on Tabata, you still want to be aiming at about 8-10 reps in that 20 second cycle, so you need to find the weight that allows for that with front squats.

I forget whether you're still in the military or not (I am so bad about this) but if you're not gently caress cardio all together, it is a waste if you ask me.

Just mentally prepare yourself for how much HIIT is going to suck, because it is. Of the first 3 times I did HIIT sprints, I vomited twice. You will also be ravenously hungry afterwards, try to resist that. HIIT puts your body into a fat burning mode (I can't remember the name for this) for the next 24ish hours.
I'm a reservist and also one of those retards that actually enjoys running.

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sound like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 3, 2012

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

The Casualty posted:

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sohnd like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

Tabata is 8 intervals of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off of all out sprinting effort. The actual exercise is up to you. Sprints, burpees, various lifts (compound generally considered better), whatever.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

:what:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

The Casualty posted:

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sound like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

Yah you front squat with weight, but go really light, it's going to gently caress you up. Let me go to work tomorrow (like 12 hours from now or whatever) and I will find some links to send you. I don't actually like the front squats, I actually like the ones that are more like power cleans but I can't remember the name since I'm all hosed up on sleeping medication.

Enjoying running makes me sick and we can no longer be friends.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

psydude posted:

Dude, mine too. Definitely the best health fad to catch on in recent times.

I think Pole Dancing is becoming a thing with women so there's that to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Rrail posted:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

It is goo when you have to perform a cardiovascular endurance activity. Like walking up to the top of HT #### during a mission.

Not something I'll get through Tabata.

P.S. I did Linda last week and my hands are still recovering :argh:

agentq fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 3, 2012