Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Any winter squash should work, but they are pretty much all available only in the fall/early winter just like pumpkins are. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pumpkins are available at least a month, longer in some places, before Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stubblyhead posted:

Kind of a related question; what's the mean time to failure or whatever you want to call it for SSDs due to this problem? I remember reading about it being a concern when they first came out, but I haven't had the need for a new drive at the same time I could afford one of them so I haven't really kept up on how that works.

From what I understand, it's pretty high. You'd have to be writing and reading constantly for years before it started to give out. According to http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_debunking.php, you could move 3.4TB around one of their 160GB SSDs a day and it would be good until 2025.

Are they fine for the consumer timeframe? It would appear so.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

From what I understand, it's pretty high. You'd have to be writing and reading constantly for years before it started to give out. According to http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_debunking.php, you could move 3.4TB around one of their 160GB SSDs a day and it would be good until 2025.

Are they fine for the consumer timeframe? It would appear so.

Cool, good to know. Next time I'm in the market for a drive I'll definitely take a look. I hear Windows 7 boots in like 2 seconds on one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

stubblyhead posted:

Cool, good to know. Next time I'm in the market for a drive I'll definitely take a look. I hear Windows 7 boots in like 2 seconds on one.

Maybe not 2 seconds, but my SATA III SSD loads Windows before the animation finishes.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

unpronounceable posted:

For SSDs, having them too full may degrade write performance. It has to do with how the controller chooses where to store the data in the flash memory chips. It shouldn't affect the read speeds though. It's generally considered good practice to keep ~10% free space on an SSD.

drat. Nobody seems to agree on this issue in this thread. I don't know what to believe.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

drat. Nobody seems to agree on this issue in this thread. I don't know what to believe.

The way SSDs work, a cell must be empty before it can be written to, unless you aren't overwriting any ones with zeros. Since a file system doesn't actually zero the cells when you delete a file, normal use of the drive creates patches of data that have to be overwritten. The less space remaining on the drive, the more of these patches there will be. Modern operating systems support TRIM, which will clear these unused cells in the background so they can be written to quickly.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
If I switch insurance providers, do I need to notify my old provider that I left or can I just lapse payment? I am not under a contract.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

b0nes posted:

If I switch insurance providers, do I need to notify my old provider that I left or can I just lapse payment? I am not under a contract.

"just lapse payment" is never the right answer. You can bet there is some fine print somewhere stating X notice to terminate.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The filter actually prevents your other devices from making GBS threads up the range that DSL uses. The DSL modem should be connected before the 3-way adapter as it may not pass the DSL frequencies properly. His problem has nothing to do with DSL, though. He'd be better off using something like The Stick which will prevent other devices from picking up on the line when it's in use. The Stick will also automatically route calls with CNG tones to the fax port so fax calls don't ring on the phone ports.

What do you mean before?

this is my setup.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Is it "their own ethnicity" or "the ethnicity they've grown up around?"

I grew up in a town that was easily 99% Caucasian and my family is Caucasian. I can tell white people apart easily, but Asians tended to blur together a lot and still do sometimes.

I think I learned about those studies long ago from a docu-show about the human face starring john cleese :confused: and I believe it's that you're good at identifying your own ethnicity, independent of the one you grew up around. There are some reasonable a-priori arguments for both ideas (the genetic one and the grew-up-around-them one).
They also did similar studies with sheep and sheep faces.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do people still play city of heroes/villains? I randomly started thinking about my guy from like 2 years ago this morning

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

What do you mean before?

this is my setup.

Even though they're actually circuits, you can think of cables moving dialtone like hoses moving water. "Before" means the dialtone/water reaches that point first. The dialtone comes from your DEMARC or demarcation point or minimum point of entry or network interface device or whatever those crazy telco kids are calling them nowadays. Every phone jack in your house should be connected to the DEMARC together, this is why multiple phones can talk on the same line at the same time. The DSL filter blocks DSL frequency traffic so noises that come over the telephone line don't interfere with the DSL. Your DSL will probably work without filters on the other devices, but it might suffer some. Anything you put before the DSL modem has the potential to degrade the signal. Of course, you might already be getting a crappy signal because for all you know, your dialtone could be running through a rusty barbed wire fence before it gets to your house.

Your current setup is fine unless the splitter is causing interference (as they are wont to do.)

If you have a filter with a pigtail (the part that plugs in to the wall or whatever) and a two out ports, one should be labeled "DSL" and the other "phone" or something similar.
code:
          [FAX] [phone] [other]
              \    |     /
               \   |    /
[DSL modem]    [splitter]
     |             |
   +-+-------------+-+
   | DSL       phone |
   |    [filter]     |
   +--------+--------+
            |
       [jack/DEMARC]
If your filters only have one out port, you should connect the modem to another jack in the house and put a filter before the splitter.
code:
            [FAX] [phone] [other]
                \    |     /
                 \   |    /
[DSL modem]      [splitter]
    |                |
    |           [DSL filter]
    |                |
  Jack 1           Jack 2
If you have enough phone jacks, you could also do this:
code:
[DSL modem]    [FAX]       [phone]
    |            |            |
    |       [DSL filter] [DSL filter]
    |            |            |
  Jack 1       Jack 2       Jack 3
None of this is going to solve your problem of hearing FAX tones when you pick up the phone while the FAX is in use, because you only have one line and they both share it. The line-sharing device I mentioned previously will act as a gatekeeper and only let one of the devices connected to use the line at any given time. In this case, if the FAX was in use and you picked up the phone, you would just hear dead air.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anyone know how to save the pronunciation mp3's from Google search results?
I can't find it in Chrome's cache anywhere, and it calls the file by using a javascript function.

E: nevermind, got it!

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 3, 2012

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
Is there a way to plug halogen light bulbs into regular sockets? Googling for a converter didn't give me any results but I figured I would ask because I have a bag of halogen bulbs and a couple of my regular bulbs have just burned out.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dead Alice posted:

Anyone know how to save the pronunciation mp3's from Google search results?
I can't find it in Chrome's cache anywhere, and it calls the file by using a javascript function.

E: nevermind, got it!

This is useless. At least explain how you got it for others to learn from!

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

IratelyBlank posted:

Is there a way to plug halogen light bulbs into regular sockets? Googling for a converter didn't give me any results but I figured I would ask because I have a bag of halogen bulbs and a couple of my regular bulbs have just burned out.

Disclaimer: not an electrician or anything of the sort.

I don't believe this type of adapter exists, and if it does it may not be wise to use it anyway. Halogen bulbs work at significantly higher temperatures than normal (incandescent) bulbs. If you used some sort of adapter this could lead to using a halogen bulb in a setting that wasn't designed for such heat and/or the bulb protruding or otherwise not being protected by the light casing.

Also, Wikipedia apparently has a series of very detailed articles on Lightbulb sockets.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong, as per WillieWestwood's reply below.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 3, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"just lapse payment" is never the right answer. You can bet there is some fine print somewhere stating X notice to terminate.

You are very right. I switched insurance companies several years back and figured that when my old policy ran out, I would be done with them. They (Allstate) automatically reinstated my insurance for one month after the expiration. This can be a nice automatic grace period if you are forgetful about making payments, but it kind of screwed me over. Since I thought I was done with Allstate, I didn't bother opening any of the mail from them and ended up getting a call from a collection agency a few months later for that extra month.

For my own stupid/small question, what is the best way to transfer VHS to either DVD or MPEG? Google shows me plenty of results for converters, but I have no idea what converter/software package to buy.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

IratelyBlank posted:

Those types of converters are called adapters, and here's a Google shopping results page for them (pin to screw adapters).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SkunkDuster posted:

You are very right. I switched insurance companies several years back and figured that when my old policy ran out, I would be done with them. They (Allstate) automatically reinstated my insurance for one month after the expiration. This can be a nice automatic grace period if you are forgetful about making payments, but it kind of screwed me over. Since I thought I was done with Allstate, I didn't bother opening any of the mail from them and ended up getting a call from a collection agency a few months later for that extra month.

on the other hand I used COBRA for a short while and when I went to cancel it, the person said "just don't pay the bill and it will be cancelled".

Quesion: Every time I visit a new site, I hit CTRL + scroll up to make the website bigger. How do I do set the default size to be bigger so I don't have to do this for every new site I visit? I use Firefox.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 3, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can anyone tell me what the gently caress this thing is? I could have sworn there was a bug thread but the Forums search is useless and Google isn't giving me anything, so I thought I'd just ask here:

I've found three so far in my home and my mind is just telling me "roach infestation."

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
How do I set an embedded Youtube video to start at a certain timestamp? Yeah, I've Googled and run across tons of examples with the old "param" script but none with the "iframe" script. Neither #t= or &start= work, nor does the old "param" script work.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Liku posted:

Can anyone tell me what the gently caress this thing is? I could have sworn there was a bug thread but the Forums search is useless and Google isn't giving me anything, so I thought I'd just ask here:

I've found three so far in my home and my mind is just telling me "roach infestation."

Here you go. Sure looks like a roach to me though.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

change my name posted:

Do people still play city of heroes/villains? I randomly started thinking about my guy from like 2 years ago this morning

I love that game. It's free to play now, although obviously very limited. I was playing up until a month or so ago, but have taken a break from all games for awhile to focus on other things. I plan on playing it again though, even if free.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blenheim posted:

How do I set an embedded Youtube video to start at a certain timestamp? Yeah, I've Googled and run across tons of examples with the old "param" script but none with the "iframe" script. Neither #t= or &start= work, nor does the old "param" script work.

It follow &start=, and it's in seconds. See the example below. 1868 is 1868 seconds, or 31m 8s

value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjDw3azfZWI&hl=en_US&start=1868"

src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjDw3azfZWI&hl=en_US&start=1868"

The complete example is here.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 3, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I recently heard at the beginning of a song a sample of a man speaking this completely insane quote:

quote:

There were eyes gouged, there was beheading, there were guillotines, there was acid, they would be blown up, they would be burned alive, there would be an outpouring of blood....

That's all that's in the song. Does anyone know what that is from?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

WillieWestwood posted:

It follow &start=, and it's in seconds. See the example below. 1868 is 1868 seconds, or 31m 8s

value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjDw3azfZWI&hl=en_US&start=1868"

src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjDw3azfZWI&hl=en_US&start=1868"

The complete example is here.

Yeah, I've tried that, and it doesn't work with the new embed script. (Retrofitting the old script doesn't work, either.)

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 3, 2012

jeknhyd
Aug 31, 2004
careful with that axe, eugene
Does anyone know of a simple calendar app that allows you to type or to take notes on specific days? Everything I've tried makes me add separate items as 'events' and looks really cumbersome.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zook posted:

Does anyone know of a simple calendar app that allows you to type or to take notes on specific days? Everything I've tried makes me add separate items as 'events' and looks really cumbersome.
Sounds like you want more of a journal/diary than a calendar app. You didn't say for which platform/OS, but how about a simple text editor? Type a date, type stuff, save, repeat.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Blenheim posted:

Yeah, I've tried that, and it doesn't work with the new embed script. (Retrofitting the old script doesn't work, either.)

How annoying. You can right-click the bit on the timeline that you want and either click 'copy embed code' or 'copy URL at this point' but there's nothing that does both :/

jeknhyd
Aug 31, 2004

randyest posted:

Sounds like you want more of a journal/diary than a calendar app. You didn't say for which platform/OS, but how about a simple text editor? Type a date, type stuff, save, repeat.

I like to jot little things down on individual dates on physical calendars to keep track of eating/drinking activities. It creates a nice visual. I have OSX, but even an iPhone app would be nice.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zook posted:

I like to jot little things down on individual dates on physical calendars to keep track of eating/drinking activities. It creates a nice visual. I have OSX, but even an iPhone app would be nice.
Maybe Day One or Momento?

jeknhyd
Aug 31, 2004
Momento is great, thank you!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Paging chem nerds to this thread:

I'm looking for a liquid that doesn't evaporate quickly, for an art piece. It's an installation, and there's a part that I want to fill with about 1/4 cup of some clear liquid.

I guess what I'm asking is: water? oil? something else? What would require the least amount of refills in a cup of fluid hanging out in an art gallery for a few weeks?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm looking for a liquid that doesn't evaporate quickly, for an art piece. It's an installation, and there's a part that I want to fill with about 1/4 cup of some clear liquid.

I guess what I'm asking is: water? oil? something else? What would require the least amount of refills in a cup of fluid hanging out in an art gallery for a few weeks?

Probably gel, I'd imagine - so something like a clear after-sun gel would probably work.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

SkunkDuster posted:

For my own stupid/small question, what is the best way to transfer VHS to either DVD or MPEG? Google shows me plenty of results for converters, but I have no idea what converter/software package to buy.

What sort of computer do you have (as in mac/pc)? Obviously there are combination VHS/DVD burner decks that could be had for a pittance. Those are simple enough; most of them are one push buttons to copy and don't require a computer at all. You end up with a playable DVD with your VHS footage on it.

If you want to go into your computer, and you happen to have a mac, I bought an adapter called the Elgato Video Capture Device.

It has composite/s-video in, goes into USB, and includes software that rips the footage to an SD MPEG-4 file. It's pretty idiot proof and doesn't have a ton of options, but since you're starting from VHS quality it's more than ample. A little more expensive than a couple other solutions out there, but this one actually works and you tend to get what you pay for. Still really cheap comparatively (my Blackmagic video capture on my tower cost upwards of $1k, though it does do dual-link HD-SDI).

If you have a PC, this doesn't help you. Sorry.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Glycerin, baby oil, mineral oil, etc. will all probably work well on the cheap.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I'm presenting an article on Monday and I want to learn to say this dutch name correctly:

The author's full name is Roderick F. A. de Lind van Wijngaarden

I am presuming his entire last name is "de Lind van Wijngaarden"

I'm guessing the first part is simply "de lind von"

Is the second part "weengarden"? with a really hard "ah" sound at the double a?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Overall, what's worse for you soda or beer?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whack posted:

Urine luck. There's a (gassed) thread for this already.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Whack posted:

A can of Budweiser and a can of Coke have the same number of calories. So the question comes down to whether caffeine or alcohol is worse for you.