Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Can someone fill me in on oiled vs not oiled aur intakes? It seems simple enough. It also seems like oil would get all over the inside of the intake and manifold. Seems grimy and gross and bad for fuel octane ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I think there is some good info there, and some not so good. I'm wondering what the effects are besides filtration. I see that the non oil filters generally resulted in a "lighter" colored secondary filter, but I guess I don't trust the tests. Like I said, there is good info and bad, in my opinion.

I too live in WA state and the amount of poo poo in the air is not constant. This test has a great deal of uncontrolled variables at work to include weather, driving style (rpm range), location, and user error. I don't want to hate, but I don't even trust an auto manufacturer the first year they make car, and therefore I can't really trust this guy with his poor grammar saying that the servicing was done correctly, garunteed doods! I percieve lots of room for inconsistancy and error.

I am interested in the downsides of an oiled filter because I'm thinking about buying the Cobb jam. If its going to foul my MAF and motor, I don't want that poo poo. If the oil stays in the filter, fine. I guess I should have been less general with my question, but I also maintain that bobistgeoilguy doesn't mean dick to me.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I think there is some good info there, and some not so good. I'm wondering what the effects are besides filtration. I see that the non oil filters generally resulted in a "lighter" colored secondary filter, but I guess I don't trust the tests. Like I said, there is good info and bad, in my opinion.

I too live in WA state and the amount of poo poo in the air is not constant. This test has a great deal of uncontrolled variables at work to include weather, driving style (rpm range), location, and user error. I don't want to hate, but I don't even trust an auto manufacturer the first year they make car, and therefore I can't really trust this guy with his poor grammar saying that the servicing was done correctly, garunteed doods! I percieve lots of room for inconsistancy and error.

I am interested in the downsides of an oiled filter because I'm thinking about buying the Cobb jam. If its going to foul my MAF and motor, I don't want that poo poo. If the oil stays in the filter, fine. I guess I should have been less general with my question, but I also maintain that bobistgeoilguy doesn't mean dick to me.

It wont foul your maf or throttle body unless you really screw up the cleaning/re-oiling process. If K&N filters caused problems, you would have heard about it. Just go get one already if you're thinking about it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Does anyone know what stock spring rates are for a non-turbo EJ20 GF8 sport?

Am considering options for springs, as while the dampers seem fully functional (and in any case I'm not likely to replace them with anything firmer than GR2s/ExelGs) it's a bit like a bouncy castle and means flicks and transitions need a lot of concentration.

Could I pick up used STI GC8 springs (always cheap on ebay), or is the car's balance going to be completely hosed up by using GC springs??

Alternatively, what is the preferred (if there is one) aftermarket choice for a road car? If there isn't a consensus, what sort of rate changes should one be looking for? The only chart I've seen suggests Eibach go much stiffer on the front but not on the back, whereas others seem to jack up both proportionally.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

smooth jazz posted:

Nice.

I don't have the balls to order any item of clothing from Japan when their XXL is our M.

Actually went down to a Subaru dealership to check out a BRZ when I ordered it. Luckily my buddy is Japanese so he could communicate what size I needed.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

thisisme posted:

Soooo I'm looking at getting a new (to me) car and would loooove a wrx. http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/2864673918.html I found this on craigslist in my area and am wondering what you guys think. Im not sure on the life of subarus and hopefully you guys can fill me in a little bit. I dont necessarily care too much about looks, but more the life it may have left. Pleaase tell what I should look for when buying a used wrx. I probably only got a 8000 to 10000 budget... Thanks

I was in the same boat you were; I wanted a Subaru Impreza, most importantly a WRX, I had probably 10-12 grand to spend comfortably. I found a 2003 WRX from a dealer (not a Subaru dealer but in the same autogroup as an extremely reputable one). I bought it for 10 grand, and I couldn't be anymore happy. Under 100k miles, new brakes and so clean I would eat off it. The 2.5RS motors are known for having headgasket problems. Save your money, get a newer WRX or 2.5RS (Bugeye or later). You're still getting an AWD drivetrain, boxer motor and a Subaru badge and a newer car. It's worth it, and will save you a lot of money in the long term.

e: I was going to buy my friends 2.5RS who the PO had bolted a turbo onto with a FMIC. Came to the goons for their opinion, they told me it was going to have headgasket problems, especially now that it's a NA motor with a turbocharger. He sold it to some lady for ~6k, the headgasket and turbo blew (and I think a piston cracked but I'm not too sure). This was at 110k and the motor was rebuilt for the turbo. She's going to end up spending a few more thousand getting those fixed (or probably just swap motors). the 2.5RS coupes are cool looking, but also usually beat on.

Yakattak fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 29, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I bought my 2002 WRX with 73,000 miles on it more than two years ago for $7300 in Miami. Heck for $10,000 you could find an STi swapped 02 around here. I woudnt pay more than $6000 for a mostly stock 02 with 100,000 in average condition (dents and not very good paint, decent interior, runs decent)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Please don't kill me if this is earlier in the thread, I couldn't find it.

I heard earlier that the next WRX was going to be separated from the Impreza platform. Then I read today on Autoblog that only the STI will be separated, and that the regular WRX and Impreza will share. Does anyone know what the real case is?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
It's all rumor at this point, but Subaru has been quoted saying the WRX/STI will be a separate platform and possibly use a turbocharged FA/FB motor with DI. I don't see anything in that article about the WRX and Impreza sharing a platform, though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Had 2 flats on my '05 LGT and one of them couldn't be repaired, so I had to unexpectedly buy new tires last week. I didn't have much time to research, so I went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS since I recalled the RE960AS was one of the top performing all season tire last time I did research. I thought I'd check with you guys regarding whether I made a good choice while I still have a chance to return them.

I daily drive this car 60+ miles in the bay area on the weekdays and use the car for Tahoe trips some weekends in the winter, so I'd like all season tires biased more towards handling/cornering rather than snow performance (as long as a minimum level of snow performance is met). From what I've read, two top dogs in this category were the RE970 and the ExtremeContact DWS, with the RE970 handling a bit better on dry and the DWS being a bit better in the snow. It seems like I made a good choice for what I want, but I'd like some second opinions before I stop worrying about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

blargle posted:

It's all rumor at this point, but Subaru has been quoted saying the WRX/STI will be a separate platform and possibly use a turbocharged FA/FB motor with DI. I don't see anything in that article about the WRX and Impreza sharing a platform, though.

The current idea, one that people from subaru have actually stated a few months ago, is that the BRZ platform is going to serve as a basis for the next WRX and STI (lengthened obviously so as to accommodate AWD) and be separate from the Impreza.

That article just talks about them going in a more upscale direction with the STI. I think the issue they may be having is the base WRX is so close to the STI right now, people are having trouble justifying the cost increase for the transmission and AWD upgrades. I be the thinking is, if they move it a bit more upscale, it can better justify its higher cost for those enhancements when it can go toe to toe in both performance and refinement with M or RS cars for much lower price.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The wrx is moving to a separate platform with the STi. The point of doing it is for wrc.

You're going to get a smaller lighter car more in line with the rally roots compared to the 3rd gen which had poo poo for suspension....

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I wish Subaru would follow my idea and make the WRX and STI similar to Nissan's G37 and 370z (make the WRX luxury focused and the STI performance focused, but with similar platforms and engines). I'm not sure how well Subaru owners would take to it though. I suspect we're all cheap bastards.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

SUBARU Australia managing director Nick Senior will travel to Japan this week to take part in talks over what the next incarnation of the brand’s rally-bred, high-performance WRX and STI products will be like when they arrive in around 18 months’ time.

Mr Senior will join delegates from some of Subaru’s international markets to discuss whether the next-generation WRX and STI will continue with the formula of “a quite hard edge in terms of style, design and performance” or become a more “European sports sedan in the mould of M series or AMG”.

The next WRX and STI will be distanced from the standard Impreza sedan and hatch that were launched in Australia last week, as was initiated when Impreza branding was dropped from the updated wide-body WRX in September 2010 and with the new separately-branded XV crossover that arrived here in January.

Although Subaru has considered further distancing the WRX and STI from the Impreza sedan and hatch by developing a variant that would have a similar relationship with the Impreza as the Volkswagen Scirocco does with the Golf, Mr Senior said he and the factory were not keen on losing the versatility of the sedan and hatch body styles.

“The factory has given the indication that they do not want to lose the edge that the WRX and STI have been associated with and established over the last 18 years,” he said.

“That (two-door scenario) may well be possible, although you do lose potential volume … competitors like the Nissan 200SX come and go because they don’t have that versatility in terms of the four and five-door layout.”

On the subject of Australia’s influence in Subaru product planning meetings, Mr Senior said: “We can put in our 10 cents’ worth … but we have got to recognise our station in life and we are the fourth-biggest market behind the US, Japan and China.”

Asked of his preferred outcome, Mr Senior said he would like Subaru to continue with the WRX/STI formula it has had so much success with over the years and said a final decision would be made “in the very near future”.

“I do love that we do have the four and five-door variants and I would like that to continue.

“I think the other thing is they are iconic names and have established a reputation, and to keep that edge is very important, to have that edginess about them.

“We have sold more than 25,000 WRX (in Australia) since 1994 so it is an extremely popular and much-loved vehicle.”

In contradiction to previous reports, Mr Senior said the FB-series ‘boxer’ engine, which debuted in last year’s updated Forester SUV and now exclusively powers the new Impreza line-up in 2.0-litre form, is suitable for turbocharging, meaning its efficiency gains will not be lost if applied to a high-performance vehicle.

He also said that, because the company has developed a version of its Lineartronic continuously variable transmission (CVT) to cope with the torque of diesel engines – meaning automatic diesel Subarus are on the horizon – the next step is to apply the transmission to high-performance vehicles.

The current WRX and STI, which will continue to be sold alongside the new fourth-generation Impreza until their replacements arrive, continue to be counted among the Impreza’s sales by VFACTS.

Mr Senior said combining WRX and STI sales figures with those of the new Impreza in VFACTS will slightly muddy the waters as a large proportion (roughly 170 units of the Impreza’s average 966 monthly sales) will be attributed to an older model.

He said once the new WRX and STI hit the market they are likely to join the rear-drive BRZ coupe in the sportscar VFACTS category and listed under a separate model name for the first time.

After GoAuto expressed disappointment to Mr Senior over the new Impreza’s slower than expected acceleration (10.5 seconds for the manual and 11.5 seconds for the CVT automatic) at the launch in South Australia last week, he said the 2.0-litre models were more about efficiency than performance.

However, Mr Senior said he hoped a higher-performance model would form a spiritual successor to the sporty Impreza RS that was sold in Australia between 2003 and 2005, to form a flagship variant that sits below the WRX.

Not to be confused with the RS variant that shared the same 2.0-litre naturally aspirated engine as the rest of the Impreza line-up, Mr Senior suggested a reborn RS could use a derivative of the Forester’s 126kW/235Nm 2.5-litre petrol engine.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

The wrx is moving to a separate platform with the STi. The point of doing it is for wrc.

You're going to get a smaller lighter car more in line with the rally roots compared to the 3rd gen which had poo poo for suspension....

The WRX/STi would have to be smaller and be equipped with a 1.6L for WRC. That's the exact opposite of "upmarket." The STi is going the way of the Evo X; no longer a economy car with $15,000 of performance parts, but something with a interior worth paying for and without the boy-racer looks.

I figured this would happen when Subaru left rally in 2008 and I don't like it one bit. :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If anyone was thinking about a set of Konis now is the time to do it. The annual Koni sale starts today. I'll know more about pricing after I talk to my distributor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Mr Senior will join delegates from some of Subaru’s international markets to discuss whether the next-generation WRX and STI will continue with the formula of “a quite hard edge in terms of style, design and performance” or become a more “European sports sedan in the mould of M series or AMG”.

Oh for fucks sake, the WRX won it's reputation for being hard edged you dim wit oval office Mr Senior. If we wanted Euro sports sedan there's more than enough to choose from - look at how the EVO X went soft cock and how it barely raises a bleat anymore.

Either make it a hard edged maniac car or dont bother. The people hwo lust and have been loyal will put up with cheap interiors and thin paint as long as you give us a car we can monster sports sedans and not slow down in the rain. You lot went Euro for the 08 and look what that turned out to be.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Neptr posted:

The STi is going the way of the Evo X; no longer a economy car with $15,000 of performance parts

Well poo poo, this is the exact kind of car I like to buy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

If anyone was thinking about a set of Konis now is the time to do it. The annual Koni sale starts today. I'll know more about pricing after I talk to my distributor.

Color me interested.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Potentially interested in 2 or 4 for a GF8, but shipping might make it impractical.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

jamal posted:

I might be interested as well for my '99 2.5rs depending on the price.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

jamal posted:

Keep us updated I have been pondering inserts for a while for my 02 sedan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://www.koni-na.com/shockvalue/ says it's 20% off retail. Curious what it is for distributors.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.koni-na.com/shockvalue/ says it's 20% off retail. Curious what it is for distributors.

Yeah everyone online is already selling these for much less than 20% off retail. I get an extra 10% off. I'd put a set for an 02-07 in the 560 + shipping range.
For a GC they're more like $600 because the rears are more expensive. 08+ is less.
shipping to the UK would be nearly $250. Also this is not just for Subarus.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
That is a very good price.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

jamal posted:

I'd put a set for an 02-07 in the 560 + shipping range.

Same deal for an 07 wagon?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Same deal for an 07 wagon?

yep, konis go into the stock strut housings so sedan and wagon use the same parts. 02-03 and 04-07 are a little different but pricing is the same.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 1, 2012

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Count me in for a set for an 02 wagon.

Do we pm you or what.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Your story has become tiresome.
Awwwwww, crap.

I've got a 2005 Subaru Legacy, 110K, 2.5L non-turbo engine. A very slight burning oil smell when the car was parked began a few weeks ago. My mechanic pressure-cleaned the engine, and told me to come back later so he could see the source. I returned yesterday; no smell, but still wanted him to check it out.

The verdict? The head gasket is leaking. He says I can probably hold out for a year or more before I need to get the work done. His estimate: $3,000 for the gasket and other "while you're down there" things: water pump and timing belt. It's a reliable indie shop in a town where Subies are very popular, but his work is on the high side.

I thought I wouldn't have the problem in an '05. drat. FWIW, I'm losing very little coolant now, and engine temps are maybe a wee bit below normal. Think Subaru conditioner will help in the meantime?

Does $3K sound about right? (I'm in the northeastern US.) I'm willing to take a thousand miles or soif I can save a thousand bucks or more, but still have quality work done. I'm seeing prices on message boards that are all over the place, from $1,000 to $3,500. Any good shops in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland or Toronto?

elmwood fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 2, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

elmwood posted:

Awwwwww, crap.

I've got a 2005 Subaru Legacy, 110K, 2.5L non-turbo engine. A very slight burning oil smell when the car was parked began a few weeks ago. My mechanic pressure-cleaned the engine, and told me to come back later so he could see the source. I returned yesterday; no smell, but still wanted him to check it out.

The verdict? The head gasket is leaking. He says I can probably hold out for a year or more before I need to get the work done. His estimate: $3,000 for the gasket and other "while you're down there" things: water pump and timing belt. It's a reliable indie shop in a town where Subies are very popular, but his work is on the high side.

I thought I wouldn't have the problem in an '05. drat. FWIW, I'm losing very little coolant now, and engine temps are maybe a wee bit below normal. Think Subaru conditioner will help in the meantime?

Does $3K sound about right? (I'm in the northeastern US.) I'm willing to take a thousand miles or soif I can save a thousand bucks or more, but still have quality work done. I'm seeing prices on message boards that are all over the place, from $1,000 to $3,500. Any good shops in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland or Toronto?

a leaking headgasket can go downhill pretty fast. I went from having to add a quart of water every few days to dumping water all over the place after a 2min drive over the course of about a month.

but I think the phase 2 motors are more likely to leak between the coolant and oil, and oil and outside of the block where as my phase 1 is more likely to blow out the seal around the combustion chamber and push coolant.

3k is not far off, maybe on the high side. you can pull the heads on an SOHC like you have without removing the entire engine which may or may not save any time. I much prefer working on an engine on a stand.

I'll ask some of my friends in that area about shops.

blindjoe posted:

Count me in for a set for an 02 wagon.

Do we pm you or what.

yeah you can send me a pm or email

peterleclaire at gmail

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 2, 2012

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

jamal posted:

I'll ask some of my friends in that area about shops.

Thanks! I'm going ot get a few more estimates locally, too.

When I say "losing little coolant", I mean literally, very little. A week of driving maybe 1,500 miles, and the coolant lost was almost negligible, and the smell hasn't returned.

Poopsocks
Feb 22, 2009
New wheels, tires were starting to go, and as per everything on this car I only get to buy new stuff when something goes bad (Awesome wife)

17x8 Enkie EDR9's.

Project for this weekend will be putting a matte black wrap around that god awful chrome strip on the back, and dip spraying the badges black.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Bought my set from Jamal. Thank you goonsir

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

elmwood posted:

Thanks! I'm going ot get a few more estimates locally, too.

When I say "losing little coolant", I mean literally, very little. A week of driving maybe 1,500 miles, and the coolant lost was almost negligible, and the smell hasn't returned.

I've you're willing to drive to Maine, I know a dealership that does good work. You did mention northeastern US. They did the headgasket job on my RS when I was in highschool.

And yeah the SOHC's still leak, but they don't poo poo the bed like the DOHC's do. I drove for like 6 months on my leak just topping off the overflow tank after driving.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

I've you're willing to drive to Maine, I know a dealership that does good work. You did mention northeastern US. They did the headgasket job on my RS when I was in highschool.

If they can do the whole shebang -- gaskets, timing belt, and water pump -- for around $2,000, I'll make a vacation of it.

In the meantime, it's a flush and fill with OEM coolant and conditioner.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elmwood posted:

If they can do the whole shebang -- gaskets, timing belt, and water pump -- for around $2,000, I'll make a vacation of it.

In the meantime, it's a flush and fill with OEM coolant and conditioner.

Motive in Mass could probably do that and their work is phenomenal. Motive is essentially a group of professional Subaru mechanics who do cash work on the side for the local community... Highly recommended and worth giving a call.

(978) 317 1804 - Alberto Rodriguez
or
Email - hero@motiveautoworks.com

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a used WRX or legacy GT soon for my daily driver. While I'm looking for the right one for me (there aren't too many for sale in the Tampa area. The closest Subaru dealership has only 2 used ones: a newer base impreza and a loaded STI. I don't want base model and I can't afford the STI) I was wondering if its practical to add a turbo(aftermarket or factory) to a car that doesn't have one if the car I find has all the other criteria I'd prefer. Or if it's smarter to get one with that option as priority.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It's cheaper and easier to get a car that already has a turbo.
doing a swap will result in nothing more than a hacked up car with no value and more money invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a used WRX or legacy GT soon for my daily driver. While I'm looking for the right one for me (there aren't too many for sale in the Tampa area. The closest Subaru dealership has only 2 used ones: a newer base impreza and a loaded STI. I don't want base model and I can't afford the STI) I was wondering if its practical to add a turbo(aftermarket or factory) to a car that doesn't have one if the car I find has all the other criteria I'd prefer. Or if it's smarter to get one with that option as priority.

Keep an eye out on NASIOC and craigslist in the orlando area. I see quite a few get listed on those two places. I am seeing them more and more often. When I bought mine I had to drive to Miami from Orlando to get a decent deal.