Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Slopehead posted:

Samsung: loving the US consumer yet again. What makes it worse is this is my buddy's first foray into the Android ecosystem and will now probably be permanently turned off by the whole experience.

Seriously, a firmware flashing counter? What the gently caress are they thinking? :psyboom:

Oh boo hoo. It does void warranty, but unlike most other companies samsung will let you gently caress around with it. This is just a way for them to tell if you've been loving with it... like warranty void stickers/seals over screws.

Of course the counter is also stupidly easy to bypass/reset so who even cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Shanakin posted:

Oh boo hoo. It does void warranty, but unlike most other companies samsung will let you gently caress around with it. This is just a way for them to tell if you've been loving with it... like warranty void stickers/seals over screws.

I love how people bitch about flash counters and ASUS's phoning home when you unlock your bootloader. The Prime forums on XDA are obsessed about trying to find a way to make the unlock tool not phone home, as if doing so would keep your warranty from being voided. It's not like ASUS won't be able to tell you bricked your phone/tablet by being a dumbass and voiding the warranty when they get your product at the RMA center anyways. The only difference it makes is that when you call up they won't even give you an RMA so you're not wasting your and their time by sending in a voided product. Either company would just take the RMA, look at it, tell you it's not covered and send it back costing them money.

In other words: people are dumb.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Dumb, quick question about this line from the OP:

quote:

After your new ROM boots up, download Titanium from the market and restore your apps/data.

So, if I'm following this right, I root the phone, download Titanium, back up everything, download Rom Manager, it'll wipe everything except my Titanium backup files, even the Titanium program itself?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Titanium Backup stores it's backups on your SD card or built in 'external' storage. It won't be deleted if you wipe /data.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Well, hey, Sensation owners. We seem to have a non-beta ICS ROM. Too bad it's poisoned with Sense 3.6, but that's the way it goes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1526496

I've been using the latest Virtuous Senseless for about 2 weeks now, but it has pauses and doesn't always behave well. Probably gonna give this a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Bonus question: Why do we have to constantly flash firmwares along with ROM's when updating ROM's? I don't recall having to do this with any previous phones, no matter which OS I was upgrading to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Titanium Backup stores it's backups on your SD card or built in 'external' storage. It won't be deleted if you wipe /data.
Although you should probably back it up to your computer just in case.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Civil posted:

Well, hey, Sensation owners. We seem to have a non-beta ICS ROM. Too bad it's poisoned with Sense 3.6, but that's the way it goes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1526496

I've been using the latest Virtuous Senseless for about 2 weeks now, but it has pauses and doesn't always behave well. Probably gonna give this a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Bonus question: Why do we have to constantly flash firmwares along with ROM's when updating ROM's? I don't recall having to do this with any previous phones, no matter which OS I was upgrading to.

You had to do it a fair bit on the G1. Fact is, ICS makes some fundamental changes to the way android works, and the updated firmwares adapt to that. Since these ROMS are based on HTC code, they have to be in place for it to work. This also explains why pure AOSP builds are so lovely.

The fact that it is all beta is why you have to do it so often. Shouldn't be a problem anymore now a final release out though.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I rooted my phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia X10) and installed Titanium Backup, but I don't even see the "backup tab". I just get the Overview screen. Can't swipe left or right to change the screen. What the hell is going on?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Hatter106 posted:

I rooted my phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia X10) and installed Titanium Backup, but I don't even see the "backup tab". I just get the Overview screen. Can't swipe left or right to change the screen. What the hell is going on?

Are you sure you installed the root version? There should be little bubbles at the top, and one should say "backup/restore." Try pressing menu and see if the batch option pops up; that's what you really want, anyway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

I love how people bitch about flash counters and ASUS's phoning home when you unlock your bootloader. The Prime forums on XDA are obsessed about trying to find a way to make the unlock tool not phone home, as if doing so would keep your warranty from being voided. It's not like ASUS won't be able to tell you bricked your phone/tablet by being a dumbass and voiding the warranty when they get your product at the RMA center anyways. The only difference it makes is that when you call up they won't even give you an RMA so you're not wasting your and their time by sending in a voided product. Either company would just take the RMA, look at it, tell you it's not covered and send it back costing them money.

In other words: people are dumb.

Well, uh, except with most devices you can flash back to stock before sending it in if you have an RMA issue (as long as it's not so severe an issue you can't flash anything at all). I don't think Asus are being unreasonable per se, but it does make a difference.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
If I have a rooted phone that I want to give to a family member, do I have to put it back to stock before I take it in to the service center for them to switch the number on it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If I have a rooted phone that I want to give to a family member, do I have to put it back to stock before I take it in to the service center for them to switch the number on it?

Depends.
It in warranty?

Is your local store corp or reseller. Also, Are they rule riding douchebags or are the reps seem to turn the other eye on poo poo like that?

Do you care about said warranty?

Roll the dice good sir. Legit 50/50 odds. No joke.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 3, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Why not just make a nandroid and flash to stock? What are the chances they're going to check it for S-OFF or whatever?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

EbolaIvory posted:

Depends.
It in warranty?

It won't be anyway, unless Cmdr. Shepard is going to take care of any issues. The warranty usually only applies to the original owner.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

It won't be anyway, unless Cmdr. Shepard is going to take care of any issues. The warranty usually only applies to the original owner.

What? I bought an Atrix off of eBay last year and it stopped charging. Took it into a Corp ATT store and the phone tech scanned the barcode to verify the 1-yr warranty and replaced it free on the spot, no fuss. I actually think I was the 3rd owner...

The warranty on all electronics I've ever had followed the device, not owner. Besides, nobody ever registers that poo poo anyway. Warranted the following eBay bought (used) stuff before with no fuss: Thinkpad, Macbook Pro, O.G. iPod, Averatec Netbook (years ago). All were fixed/replaced under warranty despite not being the original owner.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I assume you're on a CDMA carrier? You shouldn't need to take it into the store at all; you should be able to do the activation online or over the phone. They'll just ask for the MEID of the phone.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
One thing I hope CM9 implements is rate of LED blinkiness, because the Galaxy Nexus is awfully slow.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Penguissimo posted:

I assume you're on a CDMA carrier? You shouldn't need to take it into the store at all; you should be able to do the activation online or over the phone. They'll just ask for the MEID of the phone.

Yeah, I believe this is the case. Thanks, everyone!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

vote_no posted:

One thing I hope CM9 implements is rate of LED blinkiness, because the Galaxy Nexus is awfully slow.

Try Light Flow, it gives you a ridiculous amount of granular control of the LED for notifications.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vote_no posted:

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Try Light Flow, it gives you a ridiculous amount of granular control of the LED for notifications.
I haven't tried CM9 but I've been wondering if CM9 on the Galaxy Nexus implements its own LED controls. I'm guessing it does?

On the Nexus One CM7's LED controls had five blink rates and I never wished it had a faster setting available. Does CM9's differ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My bro picked up a G2X for me to mess with, I've already installed a CM7 Nightly on it and it's pretty good, but are there any viable ICS roms for it right now? I don't mind a camera bug or crash here and there, as long as the important stuff mostly works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I don't mind a camera bug or crash here and there, as long as the important stuff mostly works.
:lol:

It's good you don't mind a crash here or there but the important stuff will never work.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm paranoid enough about permissions that I'm happy to wait until CM9 implements it, and even if they never do I don't want to give that many permissions to a closed-source program just to make the LED blink properly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vote_no posted:

I'm paranoid enough about permissions that I'm happy to wait until CM9 implements it, and even if they never do I don't want to give that many permissions to a closed-source program just to make the LED blink properly.
As far as I can tell it doesn't have any permission which would allow it to send data away from your handset. What exactly are you paranoid about it doing?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

My bro picked up a G2X for me to mess with

:ohdear: This is probably not going to end well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So far, so good actually. He bought the phone for $50, completely bricked, and the phone would heat up until it burned people's skin. I unbricked it and tracked the heating down to a faulty SD card which I then chucked. Right now I'm trying some silly ICS rom on it, "EaglesBlood". It's no End of Days but it'll have to do.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I approve of your devil may care attitude in this matter.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

So far, so good actually. He bought the phone for $50, completely bricked, and the phone would heat up until it burned people's skin. I unbricked it and tracked the heating down to a faulty SD card which I then chucked. Right now I'm trying some silly ICS rom on it, "EaglesBlood". It's no End of Days but it'll have to do.
The heating is actually just part of the stock experience and SD card itself probably isn't faulty (although it may have been rendered such by the phone) as the G2x has ruined SD cards before.

Other things that don't work: The battery meter, GPS, and whatever it is that stops a phone from just randomly rebooting.

I'd throw a stock ROM on it and try to sell it for more than $50 so you can say you had the indisputable best possible experience with a G2x.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

vote_no posted:

Why wait for CM9? There are lot's of great ROM's out there, why does every instantly flock to CM?

Liquid Smooth 1.0 is a much better choice, I think. It has full control over the blinky light on your phone.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

LastInLine posted:

I haven't tried CM9 but I've been wondering if CM9 on the Galaxy Nexus implements its own LED controls. I'm guessing it does?

I don't think it does yet. I tried one of the early nightlies and didn't see anything for it. What I noticed about CM9 on the Galaxy Nexus and TouchPad is that it's little more than stock ICS at this point. They want to get the stock OS and functions working well before they add in all the bells and whistles. I can't say I blame them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zero VGS posted:

My bro picked up a G2X for me to mess with, I've already installed a CM7 Nightly on it and it's pretty good, but are there any viable ICS roms for it right now? I don't mind a camera bug or crash here and there, as long as the important stuff mostly works.

Whoops.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Binge posted:

Why wait for CM9? There are lot's of great ROM's out there, why does every instantly flock to CM?

The CM team is generally known for having their poo poo together and being professional about things.* They stand out from the rest of the Android community, which consists of modern-day script kiddies.

* = note, does not apply to the Sensation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godzilla07 posted:

The CM team is generally known for having their poo poo together and being professional about things.* They stand out from the rest of the Android community, which consists of modern-day script kiddies.

* = note, does not apply to the Sensation.

Doesn't apply to the EVO 3D either.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Tunga posted:

As far as I can tell it doesn't have any permission which would allow it to send data away from your handset. What exactly are you paranoid about it doing?

It's paranoia.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like the only issue left with this G2X is that any time you plug in an SD Card it won't read the thing and superheats it. Is there a way in CM7 or CM9 to use part of the internal storage as external storage? Almost everything works but the phone won't allow camera use or downloading on a web browser without an external card, which is kind of odd because I don't think my SGSII has that limitation and will treat the internal as a bonafide card.

Edit: Nevermind, sorry, it was the SD Card. I was afraid to try a new one for fear I would cook that too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 3, 2012

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
Does anyone know if either of the Mendeley apps (Droideley or Scholarley) work with CM9 on the touchpad? or has anyone used either one with CM9 on another tablet?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Two questions: Is there an easy-to-follow guide for flashing a ROM ot the LTE Gnex and do I need to flash a custom kernel to run AOKP on the same?

I ask because it lists "toro" under device next to the LTE Gnex on the AOKP site and I don't know what the gently caress because I'm Special.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Dickeye posted:

Two questions: Is there an easy-to-follow guide for flashing a ROM ot the LTE Gnex and do I need to flash a custom kernel to run AOKP on the same?

I ask because it lists "toro" under device next to the LTE Gnex on the AOKP site and I don't know what the gently caress because I'm Special.

Toro is the LTE (Verizon) version of the phone, Maguro is the GSM version (ATT and whatnot). I'm not using AOKP, but Toro and Maguro are the Google names for the two versions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alarbus posted:

Toro is the LTE (Verizon) version of the phone, Maguro is the GSM version (ATT and whatnot). I'm not using AOKP, but Toro and Maguro are the Google names for the two versions.

Ah, I was thinking of the yakju/whatever build thing and thought this was some crazy poo poo. Thanks.

How easy is it to flash a ROM with CWM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
On phones with HDMI out, are there any tweaks to control the sound? On the G2X it just plays sounds out of the phone's loudspeaker when outputting video to a TV; I though the whole point was that HDMI always caries audio too. Are these things that a rooted phone can manipulate or is it entirely on the hardware side? CM7/9 don't reference it at all.