Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

fins posted:

I've had reasonable success with vSFM on linux with a hilariously poor camera. You can grab it here

Compiling i, on the other had is a giant pain in the rear end. The windows version glitched out on most tries, but once I got everything compiled on linux it works like a charm. When I get time, I'll compare some models I made using the same input images on Autcad 123d

I just tried out vSFM on windows and it worked well. I am little confused what to do with the files it generated though. I first ran all ~600 frames of a video through it but it crashed while generating the point cloud. I re-ran it using 200 frames from the same video and the point cloud that came out is great. I don't know what do with the output now though because it saves a million files and I don't know what needs to go where to get something I can play with and edit in another program.

I am still getting the hang of ReconstructMe, but I think for this specific application I will have to abandon it. The results from the software are really nice, but it seems to have lots of problems dealing with objects of any detail that are smaller than a shoe box. Will be nice for anything large you want to scale down, however.

I am also currently trying out another online 3d scanner, hypr3d.com. Hopefully this one works out better than my3dscanner.com.

Anyone have any other opensource, trial or freeware 3d scanner software to try out? Preferably ones you don't have to upload things to? When I finally get a package I like and a good filming technique for the scans I will have to put up a comparison post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I just found the thread and was looking around Thingiverse and found the following.

Unlike most of the stuff here, this involves the use of a laser cutter. Are there hobbyist models out there or are they far behind the 3D printing type projects?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

So I just found the thread and was looking around Thingiverse and found the following.

Unlike most of the stuff here, this involves the use of a laser cutter. Are there hobbyist models out there or are they far behind the 3D printing type projects?

There are hobbyist class laser cutters in the sub 2k region. Like this one.

There's also the Lasersaur which aims to produce an open source style cutter, they're most of the way to the 1.0 version. Their current BOM prices out the lasersaur to around $6,700.

That said, the 2k FSLaser is a 40W cutter and the lasersaur is 100w. FSLaser doesn't offer a 100w cutter for less than $10000.

I'd like to note a few things. One, I have no idea about the relative capabilities of 100w vs 40w. Two, I don't really know typical pricing of a 40w cutter, the FSLaser may well be an excellent deal, or maybe not. Most of the money in the Lasersaur is not in the laser(only around $1200), so you won't save much money going to a weaker laser if you choose to make one.

Aurium fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 3, 2012

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Aurium posted:

There are hobbyist class laser cutters in the sub 2k region. Like this one.

There's also the Lasersaur which aims to produce an open source style cutter, they're most of the way to the 1.0 version. Their current BOM prices out the lasersaur to around $6,700.

That said, the 2k FSLaser is a 40W cutter and the lasersaur is 100w. FSLaser doesn't offer a 100w cutter for less than $10000.

I'd like to note a few things. One, I have no idea about the relative capabilities of 100w vs 40w. Two, I don't really know typical pricing of a 40w cutter, the FSLaser may well be an excellent deal, or maybe not. Most of the money in the Lasersaur is not in the laser(only around $1200), so you won't save much money going to a weaker laser if you choose to make one.

Ugh, there goes my dreams of making my own constructable card game. :p

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Bart Dring has some DIY Laser Cutter designs on his website http://buildlog.net

This is the same guy that created Makerslide and Quantum ORDbot printers, etc.

Here's his Bill of materials for his v2 laser cutter.
http://buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/bom.html
Total cost of parts is $852.96 according to that page.
I think this is supposed to include everything but the actual CO2 laser tube.
You can get a 40W laser tube from Chinese sellers on ebay for $168 shipped

There's at least one 3d printable laser cutter design.

Then there's whole assembled laser cutters for as low as about $850 on ebay.

This is just some of the cutters I've seen around the internet. I've never messed with any of them, don't have the funds at the moment, but I'm definitely interested in them.

Edit: Those Lasersaur people seem like some money grubbing dicks to me. Their whole design is just spare no expense attitude, not even trying to keep costs down. For example you don't need a $150 GeckoDrive with 8A current rating to drive a Nema17 motor with a 0.85A rating. A $14 Pololu driver could handle that instead. There's probably a hundred other ways they could have cut cost too. $222.48 for 412 t-slot nuts to hold together what is essentially a box? Is all that really necessary? Oh, I don't know because they're still charging charging $64 for "beta access" to their "open source" designs, nearly 2 years after they already raised $20K from kickstarter. :argh:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Solkanar512 posted:

Ugh, there goes my dreams of making my own constructable card game. :p

That was awesome, and you're not the only one who dreamed of making their own in some way. :unsmith:

I wonder what would do the trick materials and laser-wise to make that happen. I used to make mini dinosaurs out of laser-cut paper (well, got someone to cut them for me as I didn't and don't have my own laser cutter).

I always thought that the same plastic from that Pirates game would be totally awesome for a dinosaur model.

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist
I have the Full Spectrum Laser and I have used a Universal and Epilog.

The full spectrum laser is **not** remotely a plug and play laser unfortunately and it takes a good deal of tweaking to get it working correctly. Honestly, I think they are overpriced.

So are Universal and Epilog mind you, but their stuff is far better designed.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't want to knock that thing, cause it looks really cool- however there is more to that then 'load plastic into laser cutter press print'- each of those tiles also had it's etched pattern painted/dyed to get the colour to show through. Further there is more then one way to generate such items.

1. Because the resolution on the painting/dye is going to be relatively low you could probably achieve a largely similar result via a CNC machine with a very fine bit for cutting plastic.

2. Because there is really only 'etch' and 'cut' going into this (no actual texturing based on cut depth as far as I can tell) you could also put one of those $163 40w laser tubes into a CNC machine- your Z axis would just need to differentiate between 'etch' and 'cut'.

So basically this project could, with minimal alteration, be done on a CNC machine.

Next- if translucent is as good as crystal clear most 3d printers using clear PLA could get the tiles done- though they will not be see through, they will be kind of cloudy, they will allow light through and have enough of a pattern that once dyed/painted you will see the colours through.

Finally- if you can find some way to get the actual tiles cut out of clear plastic- you could use a 3d printer to produce the pattern as a 'snap on' for the bottom, load each clear tile into the snap on and get the finished effect (You could use glass or crystal for that instead of plastic which might make it look even more snazzy- glass could be melted into a form inside a kiln if you happen to have one)

I am sure there are other ways that I have not covered, probably better ways- but those are the ones that were evident to me.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Maybe you should pop into this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412940

See if there is a place like that in your area. Laser cutters seem to be a pretty common tool for them to have.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So I just stumbled across this parametric house key on thingiverse and saw an amazingly clean looking model someone printed:

Turns out this was printed on a Solido SD300 printer, which is not exactly hobby level(costs about $15K I think), but I hadn't seen this style of printer before and thought the technology used is pretty interesting. It's called LOM(Laminated Object Manufacturing), and works by rolling out a sheet of plastic, cutting out the layer shape and gluing the layers together. It has a glue cartridge and some sort of anti-glue, which I don't quite understand. From watching some demo videos, it appears that the anti-glue is applied with little plotter pens (3 of them for some reason, different diameters maybe?). I didn't see how the regular glue is applied, but I guess it gets rolled on or something after the anti-glue and doesn't adhere to those pieces, or maybe the anti-glue just causes it not to cure. I just think the quality of the models produced with this process is really amazing and has many advantages over typical FDM such as making 100% solid parts, transparent parts, multi color parts with no color bleeding, built in support structure, etc.

It seems there is some interest in making a LOM RepRap, but I don't think anyone has created a working printer yet, still sort of design/alpha stage at the moment. Some people are talking about laminating paper and wood glue, which would presumably make printed objects with wood-like properties. I'm thinking this could be really amazing for printing multilayer PCBs if some sort of metallic foil could be used in between the plastic layers. Maybe even print out custom capacitors! Or printable motors with integrated coils, etc. This is blowing my mind :2bong:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2012

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

peepsalot posted:

It seems there is some interest in making a LOM RepRap, but I don't think anyone has created a working printer yet, still sort of design/alpha stage at the moment. Some people are talking about laminating paper and wood glue, which would presumably make printed objects with wood-like properties.

Back like 15 years ago, my college had a few rapid proto machines. One was a giant worktable, say 8' x 8', and it used special heat-fused paper. Robot rolls out a sheet, laser on a traveler cuts a shape, robots rolls another sheet and a hot roller irons it together. Repeat ad infinitum, and it was really close to wood. Cool!

Printable multilayer PCBs makes me tingly though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, that's nuts!

I spent almost my entire Sunday printing a smaller, shittier version of a commercial shotshell holder. :frogbon: You save on $$ but "pay" in other ways.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Holy Crap, Veloso updated his blog for the first time since October.

JUNIOR VELOSO posted:

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since my last update, my apologies for that.... I have been quite busy...

Pedro is now leading the project and we have everything ready for the kit, looks impressive. I will post the details this week.

There are many comments and messages of people asking for contact details, so I decided to put our contact here in the blog. If you wish to talk to us please send an email to veloso3d@gmail.com

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Tad SG posted:

Yea he updated his twitter about 16 or 17 days back saying they were on track and almost done the kits. Pretty awesome considering everyone thought he was bought out and disappeared!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Tad SG posted:

This... is unexpected. Excellent. I'm still torn on what FDM printer to get but I'd totally pull the trigger on that kit if it is under $2K.

Maybe I haven't thought it through fully.. is there anything you couldn't make through his process that you could make with the FDM process? All it comes down to is how the material strength/cost compares, yes?

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

kafkasgoldfish posted:

This... is unexpected. Excellent. I'm still torn on what FDM printer to get but I'd totally pull the trigger on that kit if it is under $2K.

Maybe I haven't thought it through fully.. is there anything you couldn't make through his process that you could make with the FDM process? All it comes down to is how the material strength/cost compares, yes?

I can't think of anything FDM could do that his metholodgy could not do. Though material strength could vary radically from FDM PLA or ABS; Still, unless its super fragile or decays in sunlight or something, I think it really only comes down to accuracy/speed and cost/print cost/unit.

He would seem to have a winner on accuracy, though it may actually be less accurate then it seems with the errors being hidden by the natural smoothing of light bleeding, not sure on speed.

A FDM will most likely win on price/print- but depending on your application that may be irrelevant (If your willing to post process fill with expanding foam or what-naught it might even be lower cost/print compared to grid fill PLA/ABS).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I'm imagining maybe an object with a hollow void, with 100% solid walls surrounding it would be difficult, It might end up with a bunch of liquid still in it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As long as you leave a tiny hole at the top of the print it'll all drain out as it gets lifted during the print.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Linux Assassin posted:

I can't think of anything FDM could do that his metholodgy could not do. Though material strength could vary radically from FDM PLA or ABS; Still, unless its super fragile or decays in sunlight or something, I think it really only comes down to accuracy/speed and cost/print cost/unit.

He would seem to have a winner on accuracy, though it may actually be less accurate then it seems with the errors being hidden by the natural smoothing of light bleeding, not sure on speed.

A FDM will most likely win on price/print- but depending on your application that may be irrelevant (If your willing to post process fill with expanding foam or what-naught it might even be lower cost/print compared to grid fill PLA/ABS).

Last post I saw that mentioned price was suggesting it was up to $350/L for the resin. At that price point it probably translates to at least a few bucks per model when creating a hollow shell versus the couple of bucks of ABS you might spend making a 100% fill object. Hopefully the prices come down significantly.

quote:

Q: How much cost the resins?
A: The resin cost is quite high at this moment because of the volume, over 350 per litter. We truly believe that this can go down once the volume increases, this means we need big number of people using the technology to have good price for the resin. I hope this happens as soon we bring a low cost printer to the market.

Incidentally, most expanding foams expand significantly and then eventually shrink, not to mention variations due to temperature (I tried filling papercraft type stuff with foam and it was a horrendous failure due to this :smith:). But PVA/Plaster or just more resin/epoxy would do the trick.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wow, that's nuts!

I spent almost my entire Sunday printing a smaller, shittier version of a commercial shotshell holder. :frogbon: You save on $$ but "pay" in other ways.
Hmmm... so 3D printed "tripwires" are next up.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

nesbit37 posted:

I just tried out vSFM on windows and it worked well. I am little confused what to do with the files it generated though. I first ran all ~600 frames of a video through it but it crashed while generating the point cloud. I re-ran it using 200 frames from the same video and the point cloud that came out is great. I don't know what do with the output now though because it saves a million files and I don't know what needs to go where to get something I can play with and edit in another program.

I am still getting the hang of ReconstructMe, but I think for this specific application I will have to abandon it. The results from the software are really nice, but it seems to have lots of problems dealing with objects of any detail that are smaller than a shoe box. Will be nice for anything large you want to scale down, however.

I am also currently trying out another online 3d scanner, hypr3d.com. Hopefully this one works out better than my3dscanner.com.

Anyone have any other opensource, trial or freeware 3d scanner software to try out? Preferably ones you don't have to upload things to? When I finally get a package I like and a good filming technique for the scans I will have to put up a comparison post.

It's the (whatever).0.ply file.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SpiDeR posted:

Hmmm... so 3D printed "tripwires" are next up.

Nah, not THAT kind of "holder". Just a holder as in "alternative to reaching into a pocket of loose shells to get another one".

It saves some time and fumbling (for ~three~ shells' worth, anyway) in timed shooting events, and I made it myself so :toot:

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

Nah, not THAT kind of "holder". Just a holder as in "alternative to reaching into a pocket of loose shells to get another one".

It saves some time and fumbling (for ~three~ shells' worth, anyway) in timed shooting events, and I made it myself so :toot:

Now- prints are 'cheap' on a FDM 3d printer, could you not build something more akin to the links of belted ammo holding the rounds together so that you could have a fluid 'Fire, jam already in position linked round into magazine, work action, repeat' and just let the bits of plastic stopping your rounds from just dropping to the ground be destroyed in the process?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I was hoping someone here might have additional info not found on Veloso's blog, but it looks like no such luck. I'm still highly skeptical about it. If they are "close" to shipping kits, we should be able to see an estimated price, BOM, more photos, printed object characteristics, something to indicate that this is more than just vaporware... :(

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

quote:

gun stuff
This guy is trying to 3d print what looks like AR15 lowers.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I was hoping someone here might have additional info not found on Veloso's blog, but it looks like no such luck. I'm still highly skeptical about it. If they are "close" to shipping kits, we should be able to see an estimated price, BOM, more photos, printed object characteristics, something to indicate that this is more than just vaporware... :(
There are guys in the #reprap channel building resin printer's like Veloso's with DLP bulbs(for the UV setting resin). I believe the guy selling them the custom resin is getting it to them for $40/quart. I am not sure anyone other than the guy selling resin has actually gotten a print yet, they are all working on their light sources.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 10, 2012

insta
Jan 28, 2009
A guy at the local hackerspace (CCCKC) has a working resin printer. It's ugly as sin, but he's the one who printed the cathedral on thingiverse. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he's also wanting to sell resin.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aurium posted:

More power basically lets you cut thicker and tougher material. I think 100W even lets you cut thin sheet metal.

Though speaking of lasers, I wonder if anyone's working on a DIY laser sintering printer. I've seen one project which produces roughly similar results by blowing hot air into sugar, but that would never be able to achieve usable resolution.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

More power basically lets you cut thicker and tougher material. I think 100W even lets you cut thin sheet metal.

Though speaking of lasers, I wonder if anyone's working on a DIY laser sintering printer. I've seen one project which produces roughly similar results by blowing hot air into sugar, but that would never be able to achieve usable resolution.

DIY sintering thus far has been terrible resolution (Though a good portion of that may be the lack of ability to acquire very fine powders)- adding the additional complication of 'and now we need to make spot temperatures high enough to melt metal' likely bring it outside of the current DIY logic.

Even if a DIY could build one, the components would be so expensive as to make it cost almost as much as a professional one.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SLS doesn' have to be metal.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use regular incandescent lamp and focus that down somehow for a lower cost than a laser based solution. Maybe using fiber optic cable to deliver the light.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
My MakerBot Cupcake is going to be in a short film sometime soon!

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Is 40w enough for say 1/8"-1/4" plywood/MDF/Acrylic?

Here's a SLS wax printer. It looks more like a Selective Laser Melting than Sintering to me though. Either way same process and work cycle. More info here.

peepsalot posted:

SLS doesn' have to be metal.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use regular incandescent lamp and focus that down somehow for a lower cost than a laser based solution. Maybe using fiber optic cable to deliver the light.

Did somebody say lens focused heat?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Heh, i had a feeling someone might post that link. It's an interesting proof of concept, but the focus/resolution is worse than candyfab. I'm thinking something smaller scale, more precise and consistent.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

peepsalot posted:

Heh, i had a feeling someone might post that link. It's an interesting proof of concept, but the focus/resolution is worse than candyfab. I'm thinking something smaller scale, more precise and consistent.

So you admit to being just being an enabler to my solar sintered fantasies do you?

Anyway, instead of lenses and fiber guides, I wonder if you could use a DLP setup to focus and direct light to a single spot.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't like the idea of solar, even if it was better focused, simply for the fact that you can't use it at night(probably 95% of the time I spend printing) or when cloudy. Would love to see any kind of focused lamp cnc though.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The cool thing about solar is that you could make one of these things totally autonomous. Imagine setting one loose in the desert that drives around sintering an endless supply of parts. It just needs the ability to load and eject sand on its own!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Run it with an air based fluidic "brain," let it self-replicate and bam, silicon based life.

I guess this is the best thread to ask this: does anyone have info about DIY 2D printing? I've found some interesting things where people have converted regular inkjets to flat bed versions, and if I remember I saw someone post in this thread about those engineering students making a basic open source desktop printer. I can't seem to find it again, it'd be useful to see their schematics and all that.

The thing is, I'm interested in very large format flat beds -- like low-numbered B size. Seeing as I can't find anything that indicates you can "stretch" a regular printer to accept wider papers, I guess I'd have to start from scratch. Is there an overview somewhere that goes into the details of how printers are generally designed and work? I have this image of like some guys in the 70s or something laying the groundwork for how printers work today, and I want to see if I can get that.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently inkjet printers use a piece of plastic with variable opacity so the print head can determine where it is along the sheet of paper. I bet if you replaced the rods, belt, and that plastic strip you could scale it as wide as you want.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Newsflash:
:siren: Mendel90 source just released minutes ago :siren: :woop:

Edit:
Also new slic3r 0.7.1 update today.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 12, 2012

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Run it with an air based fluidic "brain," let it self-replicate and bam, silicon based life.

I guess this is the best thread to ask this: does anyone have info about DIY 2D printing? I've found some interesting things where people have converted regular inkjets to flat bed versions, and if I remember I saw someone post in this thread about those engineering students making a basic open source desktop printer. I can't seem to find it again, it'd be useful to see their schematics and all that.

The thing is, I'm interested in very large format flat beds -- like low-numbered B size. Seeing as I can't find anything that indicates you can "stretch" a regular printer to accept wider papers, I guess I'd have to start from scratch. Is there an overview somewhere that goes into the details of how printers are generally designed and work? I have this image of like some guys in the 70s or something laying the groundwork for how printers work today, and I want to see if I can get that.

Did you see this DIY inkjet? Their thingiverse page has most of the documentation.

I also like plotters, which scale up really nicely too.

insta posted:

Apparently inkjet printers use a piece of plastic with variable opacity so the print head can determine where it is along the sheet of paper. I bet if you replaced the rods, belt, and that plastic strip you could scale it as wide as you want.

Some also use gray codes for positional sensing, which could be expanded easily as well. Back before optical sensors got nice an cheap, most were run by stepper motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Fast 3D printing with nanoscale precision

quote:

Printing three dimensional objects with very fine details using two-photon lithography can now be achieved orders of magnitude faster than similar devices in a breakthrough by Vienna University of Technology (TU Vienna) researchers.

The 3D printing process uses a liquid resin, which is hardened at precisely the correct spots by a focused laser beam. The focal point of the laser beam is guided through the resin by movable mirrors and leaves behind a hardened line of solid polymer a few hundred nanometers wide.

:aaaaa: two. photon. lithography. :aaaaa: